Midwest
✟80,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The biggest argument I have with young black people is how much the United States has changed in my lifetime. They want to complain, "It's as bad now as it ever was," and I have to explain in detail how the US today for black people is like a whole different planet from the US of the 50s.
This post, #66.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The biggest argument I have with young black people is how much the United States has changed in my lifetime. They want to complain, "It's as bad now as it ever was," and I have to explain in detail how the US today for black people is like a whole different planet from the US of the 50s.
Well, that's inaccurate about blacks, IMO. The ones I've known are wonderful Christians. You see, races are all composed of many different people who live in different environments.

This post, #66.
That response had nothing to do with my post. I said nothing about the Christianity of black people.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
At my vocational school in high school, I always thought typing was for girls. Boy was I wrong. :(

Back then, I thought typing was for girls, too ... it mostly was.
And so I always thought there would be alot of job security in being a good typist ...
but I sure did get a big surprise, when the guys in the office started getting their own computers, equipped with WordPerfect!

:openmouth:

... yes, times have changed so much.
:blush:

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And so I always thought there would be alot of job security in being a good typist ...
but I sure did get a big surprise, when the guys in the office started getting their own computers, equipped with WordPerfect!

Tell me about it, I've got arthritis in my index fingers, especially since these forums. lol

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was enamoured with Liberace, perry como, when i came home from school. Plopped down in front of the TV with my tuna sandwich;)

I came across this video yesterday, by accident.

I was surprised. I didn't even know that Johnny Mathis was still alive, let alone still performing!

He did this performance in November 2023. He's 88.
And his voice is still beautiful ...

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Tell me about it, I've got arthritis in my index fingers, especially since these forums. lol

Lol ... I bet you do! It's not easy, typing with two fingers!

I learned how to type on a typewriter much like this one (below).
To type on it, you had to press down hard on the keys.
So, I've been a 'hard handed' typist all my life ...
and yes, now I've got 'some arthritis', too ...

:oldthumbsup:

05a3_intimespast-videoSixteenByNine3000.jpg

Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nice. Mathis was before my time and I was a rock music dude.

Johnny Mathis was alittle before my time, also.
I grew up on the Beatles ... yeah, yeah, yeah! lol

:tutu:

But my first husband was older than I ... a romantic, a dancer.
And he exposed me to much of the beautiful music of his generation ...

Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yeah, I was the only boy taking "Secretarial Typing," but I was headed for Journalism, so I knew I'd need it.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I was surprised. I didn't even know that Johnny Mathis was still alive, let alone still performing!

I'm rather surprised he's still alive myself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,833.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I watched "The Crown" on Netflix all the way through. Good series - I never cared one bit about the royal family, but found the show well made, and interesting.

One night we watching an episode where there was a funeral (for the Queen mum I think) and they were playing and singing "Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah", and I was singing along. My wife's granddaughter (9) was sitting with us and said "it figures that you would know this song!" Implying that only old people would know that. I told her that was the type of songs my ( Lutheran) church would sing when I was her age. I would venture to say, most people her parents age (30's) don't know that hymn, either.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced

That took me back 50 years :). Thanks morningdove. I think I have a vinyl record of his, but no record player. :doh:
Lol ... I bet you do! It's not easy, typing with two fingers!

I learned how to type on a typewriter much like this one (below).
To type on it, you had to press down hard on the keys.
So, I've been a 'hard handed' typist all my life ...
and yes, now I've got 'some arthritis', too ...

:oldthumbsup:

View attachment 341983
Me too! I remember my finger slipping down between the keys. Then we had electric. Does anyone remember golf ball typewriters; i had one in my job in the mid-70s but apparently they were around before then.

1706580733671.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That took me back 50 years :). Thanks morningdove. I think I have a vinyl record of his, but no record player. :doh:

Me too! I remember my finger slipping down between the keys. Then we had electric. Does anyone remember golf ball typewriters; i had one in my job in the mid-70s but apparently they were around before then.

View attachment 342006
The “practical typing” class I took as a senior in high school had those. I think all of us in that class were guys. It was an easy credit and only lasted half a school year.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
My wife and I watched "The Crown" on Netflix all the way through. Good series - I never cared one bit about the royal family, but found the show well made, and interesting.

One night we watching an episode where there was a funeral (for the Queen mum I think) and they were playing and singing "Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah", and I was singing along. My wife's granddaughter (9) was sitting with us and said "it figures that you would know this song!" Implying that only old people would know that. I told her that was the type of songs my ( Lutheran) church would sing when I was her age. I would venture to say, most people her parents age (30's) don't know that hymn, either.
I haven't watched it as I'm not sure if it gave an accurate version of the royal family but I'm quite interested in it. I'm a Brit and when I grew up there was just Charles and Anne (who was born the same year as me). Those youngsters Andrew and Edward hadn't come along yet. Now I'm getting used to the fact that there are at two more younger generations. :D

The hymn "Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah" was one we sang in Church (C of E and later Congregational) quite frequently. In fact when I did church at home during the pandemic I always finished on that. Probably only Gen X and Baby Boomers (and older) would recognise it. It's famous with Welsh Male Voice choirs though.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,833.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I haven't watched it as I'm not sure if it gave an accurate version of the royal family but I'm quite interested in it. I'm a Brit and when I grew up there was just Charles and Anne (who was born the same year as me). Those youngsters Andrew and Edward hadn't come along yet. Now I'm getting used to the fact that there are at two more younger generations.

The hymn "Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah" was one we sang in Church (C of E and later Congregational) quite frequently. In fact when I did church at home during the pandemic I always finished on that. Probably only Gen X and Baby Boomers (and older) would recognise it. It's famous with Welsh Male Voice choirs though.

They took a few artistic liberties with some stories (as all movies seem to do), as I was doing a Google search when I wondered: "did that really happen?" But all in all, it was good.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
The “practical typing” class I took as a senior in high school had those. I think all of us in that class were guys. It was an easy credit and only lasted half a school year.
Oh thanks for letting me know. So it seems that the golf ball typewriters were quite popular at that time. I've not know many people who have used them and I didn't in later jobs. If I remember rightly they were the first to have a correction tape in them. Your practical typing class seems like a sensible class to do, although we couldn't have known how important keyboards would become.:)

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
They took a few artistic liberties with some stories (as all movies seem to do), as I was doing a Google search when I wondered: "did that really happen?" But all in all, it was good.
Thank you; I may give it a go then.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

View attachment 342006

I sure do remember them! :blush:
Those were the IBM Selectric Typewriters:

"The IBM Selectric (a portmanteau of "selective" and "electric")
was a highly successful line of electric typewriters introduced by IBM on 31 July 1961."

I think I first used one in the mid-70's also ... and worked on them for years.
They were very popular, here in America!

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I sure do remember them! :blush:
Those were the IBM Selectric Typewriters:

"The IBM Selectric (a portmanteau of "selective" and "electric")
was a highly successful line of electric typewriters introduced by IBM on 31 July 1961."

I think I first used one in the mid-70's also ... and worked on them for years.
They were very popular, here in America!
With the right radio reception equipment, you could sit in a van outside a building and decypher what was being typed on every Selectric in the building.

• Wow
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Standing. Along the side of the road waiting for President Kennedy to go by in his white limo. We waved and he waved back. Typing this tears came. I can still see it in my mind. He was sure special.

Upvote 0