Dec 29, 2012
✟15,299.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
THE ARTICLES OF THE REMONSTRANCE
THIRD ARTICLE.
Saving Faith.—Man in his fallen state is unable to accomplish any thing really and truly good, and therefore also unable to attain to saving faith, unless he be regenerated and renewed by God in Christ through the Holy Spirit (John xv. 5).

This is the statement of the Arminians, not of the Calvinist.

Upvote 0
Dec 29, 2012
✟15,299.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Ezek 18 passage commands sinners to "get a new heart and a new spirit" NKJV. This is their responsibility. Ezek. 36:26 tells from where this new heart and new spirit must come. Jehovah declares, "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you." This is regeneration

Upvote 0
Dec 29, 2012
✟15,299.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Regeneration

It is the Holy Spirit who performs the work commonly called “regeneration” by which sinners, having been given a new nature, are enabled to respond to the gospel in saving faith. When we speak of regeneration, we mean God’s work of implanting a new governing principle of life in the soul. It involves a radical change of nature that requires nothing less than divine power. New Testament writers used several different metaphors to represent this work of the Spirit. Consider the following list, and ask yourself whether the subjects of these acts are active or passive in producing this work we call regeneration.

1. Creation–Just as, in the beginning, God spoke light into existence, in regeneration, God causes the light of the gospel to shine into our hearts (2 Corinthians 4:6).

2. Circumcision–Physical circumcision under the Abrahamic Covenant has been replaced by circumcision of the heart (Romans 2:28-29; Colossians 2:11).

3. Resurrection– We have been raised from spiritual death to spiritual life by the same power of God that raised Jesus from the grave (Ephesians 1:19-20; 2:5-6).

4. Birth–Jesus told Nicodemus he needed to be born from above (John 3: 7). He was not telling Nicodemus something he needed to do. He was telling him there was something God would have to do to him before he could see or enter the kingdom.

5. Baptism–Baptism is an outward expression of God’s internal work in which he unites us with Christ in his death burial and resurrection (Romans 6:3-5; Colossians 2:12).

6. Restoration of sight–Luke 4:18; 2 Corinthians 4:3-6.

7. Liberation from a Dungeon–.Luke 4:18. God has called us out of darkness into his marvelous light. We were called for freedom (Galatians 5:13).

In not one of these acts is the subject active. He is always acted upon. So it is in calling and regeneration. These are God’s acts which he performs without our cooperation. We are not active but are acted upon. Conversion (faith and repentance) is our response to God’s sovereign work in our souls.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Pate

On the day of Pentecost Peter preached the Gospel. Those who heard the Gospel and believed received the Holy Spirit, Acts 2:37.

The Holy Spirit and the Gospel are inseparable. When the Gospel is preached the Holy Spirit is there to convict people of their need for Christ, Hebrews 4:2.

No one can come to Christ without faith in Christ and his Gospel.

Regeneration is a work of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Pate

So Mr. Pâté, I assume you are a universalist. "Jesus claims to be the savior of the whole world and the provider of salvation for all men, not just some."

A universalist believes that all are saved regadless of whether or not they have faith. I am not a universalist.

Jesus has provided salvation for all. He is the new Adam and humanities representative. Salvation is God's great free gift for all men, not just some, Romans 5:18.

The free gift of salvation cannot be earned or deserved. Otherwise it would not be a free gift. It can only be accepted or rejected, Ephesians 2:8.

Upvote 0
Dec 29, 2012
✟15,299.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So, if he is the new Adam, all whom he represents are justified just as all in the Old Adam were condemned. The actions of these two representative men were not potential but actual. This is our hope, that we are in him who is wisdom, righteousness, sanctification and redemption.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
R

Robert Pate

So, if he is the new Adam, all whom he represents are justified just as all in the Old Adam were condemned. The actions of these two representative men were not potential but actual. This is our hope, that we are in him who is wisdom, righteousness, sanctification and redemption.

That is exactly what the Bible teaches.

"Therefore as by the offence of one (Adam) judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one (Christ) THE FREE GIFT came upon ALL MEN unto justification of life," Romans 5:18.

No one needs to be predestinated. No one needs to be holy.

Jesus Christ provides salvation for ALL MEN. It is God's great FREE GIFT. All one has to do is receive it by faith.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Pate

Jesus is not a potential savior, he is the Savior.

He is the savior of the whole world.

By his mighty works he has overcome and has defeated sin, death and the devil. "JESUS IS LORD" and he is Lord of all.

"And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it," Colossians 2:15.

He is not sharing anything with the devil as some Calvinist would have you believe. There is no such thing as a "Limited Atonement." Jesus is the victorious Christ. He is Lord and he is Lord of all.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible says that all men are justified, Romans 5:18.

Salvation has been provided for all.

What does justification entail, in your theology? Protestantism defines justification as a judicial action by which God declares righteous those who have believed in Christ.

Paul says those He justified, He also glorified (Ro. 8:30).

Sure looks like universalism to me if you affirm all are justified.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Dec 29, 2012
✟15,299.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't think you intented to agree with my statement so unequivocally. I believe that is exactly what the Bible teaches, but I don't believe you do. I stated, "The actions of these two representative men were not potential but actual." By that I mean, that just as the actions of Adam guaranteed the condemnation of all he represented; the actions of Christ guaranteed the justification and final glorification of all he represented. This occurred when they acted, not after those represented were born. You can't believe what you claim and believe that. If Jesus represented ALL MEN [that would be all in Adam] then all men would be justified. Jesus represented all in him, not all without exception.

Upvote 0
Dec 29, 2012
✟15,299.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
"He is not sharing anything with the devil as some Calvinist would have you believe. There is no such thing as a "Limited Atonement." Jesus is the victorious Christ. He is Lord and he is Lord of all."

What in the world does that mean? "Sharing with the devil??????"

How can there be no such thing as "Limited atonement" if Jesus is a victorious Christ? If he gave himself to effectively redeem people who are [and some of whom already were when he died] perishing in hell, he wasn't very victorious was he? I believe he was victorious indeed. He sealed the pardon of everyone for whom he gave himself in death.

Reactions: drstevej
Upvote 0
R

Robert Pate

What does justification entail, in your theology? Protestantism defines justification as a judicial action by which God declares righteous those who have believed in Christ.

Paul says those He justified, He also glorified (Ro. 8:30).

Sure looks like universalism to me if you affirm all are justified.

God sees all of humanity "In Christ." Of course we know that not all of humanity wants to be "In Christ." These are the lost.

John 3:16, 17, 18, Tell us that those who believe in Jesus will be saved. They are saved because of the meritorious work that Christ has done in their name and on their behalf.

The meritorious work that Christ has done on behalf of humanity means that he has overcome and has defeated sin, death and the devil. This has been done for all, it is God's great free gift for ALL of humanity, however if you don't accept it, it is not yours.

If I bake you a cake and you don't accept it, it is not yours is it?

Christ has done all that he can do for the salvation of lost humanity, but it is not yours if you don't accept it.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Pate

"He is not sharing anything with the devil as some Calvinist would have you believe. There is no such thing as a "Limited Atonement." Jesus is the victorious Christ. He is Lord and he is Lord of all."

What in the world does that mean? "Sharing with the devil??????"

How can there be no such thing as "Limited atonement" if Jesus is a victorious Christ? If he gave himself to effectively redeem people who are [and some of whom already were when he died] perishing in hell, he wasn't very victorious was he? I believe he was victorious indeed. He sealed the pardon of everyone for whom he gave himself in death.

"Limited Atonement" implies that Jesus has not dealt with ALL sin.

Either Jesus is Lord or he is not.

If Jesus has NOT dealt with ALL of the sins of humanity then he is not Lord. A Lord is one that has complete control over his domain.

Jesus is NOT sharing his domain with the devil.

All things have been put under him and he is above all things.

Even the lost belong to him, he will judge them as he sees fit.

All will become a reality at his appearing.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.