Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Without commenting on the political or philosophical stances of Anglican or Protestant churches; from an outsider's view I think the church has a problem connecting to young people and staying relevant to them. Sure broadcasting political beliefs is part of it, and I am sure that is the case but a lot of churches argue what I understand to be relatively minor things in Christian theology. For example, churches that hammer on being young Earth creationist and anything else is evil. That seems pretty unnecessarily standoffish on a minor issue. Or say, "fearing the evils of Harry Potter". It's hard to convince a college kid to consider churches when these things happen all of the the time.

Don't misunderstand, I am not calling it mainstream but its high profile enough that skeptical young people don't want to be involved. As a "skeptical young person" myself, I DO believe lots of college age kids and people in their 20s are looking for a spiritual experience in their lives. But also, many of us are still single and a long way off from marriage. Churches are very family oriented places that look down on being single, even if they don't intend to...it just comes with the inherent culture.

Without commenting on homosexuality or abortion I feel my analysis is fair. I think the Anglicans have a great tradition of reasoning with their religion that many evangelicals like and will probably never have but I feel these problems I explicitly mentioned can be seen anywhere.

What are your thoughts, everyone?

I sympathize with much of what you outlined as problems, but then again, if catering to the already-established ways of those who are not now responding is what it takes to get them interested, the churches are in a fix from that angle, too, being that their function is to preach the truth, not a vague pathway towards better understanding.

And there has been a lot written lately to the effect that young people want certainty for a change, not constant relativism. They've heard that plenty enough from our society. So, it's tough to know exactly how to proceed.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I sympathize with much of what you outlined as problems, but then again, if catering to the already-established ways of those who are not now responding is what it takes to get them interested, the churches are in a fix from that angle, too, being that their function is to preach the truth, not a vague pathway towards better understanding.

And there has been a lot written lately to the effect that young people want certainty for a change, not constant relativism. They've heard that plenty enough from our society. So, it's tough to know exactly how to proceed.

Young people generally want clear-cut, black and white, certainty. Sometimes that's a good thing; at least as often we need to live with ambiguity, uncertainty, and shades of grey

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟843,916.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think that you underestimate our young people. Over 90% of Americans believe in God (some say 95%). Young people are going to church in smaller numbers than their grandparents. The Protestant churches seem to have little interest in serving the young. They choose to serve those who like most of their leaders, the old, the white and the grey. Of course, they are exceptions.

I sympathize with much of what you outlined as
problems, but then again, if catering to the already-established ways of those who are not now responding is what it takes to get them interested, the churches are in a fix from that angle, too, being that their function is to preach the truth, not a vague pathway towards better understanding.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think that you underestimate our young people.

I didn't offer any estimate of our young people.

The Protestant churches seem to have little interest in serving the young. They choose to serve those who like most of their leaders, the old, the white and the grey. Of course, they are exceptions.
It's interesting how you got the facts exactly backwards there.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟111,675.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I have just been told by an American evangelical that hell is located 30 miles under the English Channel.

Admittedly that is exceptional even by the standards of American evangelicals, but, with friends like that, Christianity needs precious few enemies.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have just been told by an American evangelical that hell is located 30 miles under the English Channel.

Admittedly that is exceptional even by the standards of American evangelicals, but, with friends like that, Christianity needs precious few enemies.

Have you read very many posts on CF? Hell being 30 miles beneath the Channel is tame.

Upvote 0