The Sacrament of Penance over Skype. Valid or not?

OuterWater

Formerly InnerPhyre
Dec 18, 2007
✟8,587.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Orthodox Church has been known to allow this sort of thing when there is no other option for confession. God is merciful and gave us this mystery for our salvation, so if one is not close enough to a priest to confess face to face and has no other choice, then it would be better for the person to confess over skype, no? This is of course at the discretion of one's bishop and/or spiritual father, but I know for a fact that some Orthodox priests do allow this in extreme circumstances. Now doing it this way for convenience? Definitely not.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,301,744.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
CatholicAtHeart

This sadly is not permitted in Roman/Latin Catholicism , Confession HAS to be in person and Absolution has to be in person .

I know that in Orthodoxy , under special circumstances Confession by phone is permissable , but unless I'm mistaken you are a Catholic [ were you Received at Easter ? ]

This is a problem also for the Eastern Catholic Churches too where language can be a problem - I'm in the UK and my SF is in France - so I obviously do not manage to meet with him often - I'm still trying to sort this problem for myself

Upvote 0

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It can be allowed. I know that the wife and children of a parish priest can have a confessor at a different parish. It isn't always practical to travel to the other parish for regular confession. In those cases, a phone confession may be allowed.

M.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,301,744.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hey folk - remember that at the present CatholicAtHeart is that - Catholic - and Latin Catholic too.

I've discussed the possibility of Phone Confession with my SF because of language problems in my parish for me - and he won't budge on the fact that the Catholic Church insists on confession in the physical presence of both priest and penitent .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Damaris

May 15, 2015
✟8,728.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I've spoken with my own father confessor about this issue. What I took away from that was that a penitent may seek counsel from his confessor over the phone/email/Skype, but that this is not in itself a full sacramental confession. It has to be completed either by the penitent and the father confessor meeting in person at a later time and doing the absolution prayer then, or the penitent going to a local priest for that.

It should be noted that confessors are usually, but not always, clergy. In the case where a layperson (usually a monk or a nun) is blessed to hear confession, the penitent still goes to a priest for the absolution prayer.

Reactions: Protoevangel
Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've spoken with my own father confessor about this issue. What I took away from that was that a penitent may seek counsel from his confessor over the phone/email/Skype, but that this is not in itself a full sacramental confession. It has to be completed either by the penitent and the father confessor meeting in person at a later time and doing the absolution prayer then, or the penitent going to a local priest for that.

It should be noted that confessors are usually, but not always, clergy. In the case where a layperson (usually a monk or a nun) is blessed to hear confession, the penitent still goes to a priest for the absolution prayer.
This is my understanding as well.

Upvote 0