Rocky Mountain Region
✟307,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone. I am interested in reading more about Paul and his life (pre-Conversion, Conversion, post-Conversion, his journeys and his letters). I have read the Acts of the Apostles in the Bible and that, I know, has a lot of information. I am interested in more of a biography of Paul. Are their any books or authors you can recommend?

Thank you very much.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Tradition states that after his trial before Caesar in Rome and house arrest he was set free and took one final missionary journey to Spain. However St. Paul was eventually arrested again in Rome and was sentenced to beheading.

Beyond this there isn't really a whole lot that is reliable. These things are mentioned by Christian writers from the end of the first century (St. Clement of Rome) onward. There exists later legendary material, such as the apocryphal Acts of Paul and Thekla, but it is largely a late work based upon popular traditions and legends, and so its usefulness is limited at best.

Apart from what's written in the New Testament and the little bit preserved in Christian tradition there's really not a whole lot that can be known.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Don't neglect the Epistles as well. There's a lot of biographical and historical info there that can be meshed with Acts for a fuller picture. Galatians and 2 Corinthians come to mind.

Much has been written about the theology of Paul, and there have been many treatments of Acts alone, but the best I've found by far was recommended to me by an old Jewish friend many years ago: The Apostle, by Sholem Ashe. He weaves a deep knowledge of Jewish culture and secular history with the sacred text using his novelist's creative mastery in a way I've never seen equaled. It really helps to have those contexts to understand Paul's life.

Upvote 0

Sif

Nov 11, 2015
Rocky Mountain Region
✟307,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Thanks paul1149. I will look for that book. I find Paul to be a very interesting person. Not just for the time period he lived in but for he did for Christianity (and by extension Western Civilization).

I find, not being a Christian, I need a better understanding of the context in which the Epistles were written.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You might read Romans 7:7-25 which is in the historic present tense describe Paul (when he was a young Saul first understood coveting. He was temped all the more by the knowledge about sin, but going on to chp. 8 you find the indwelling Holy Spirit made it possible for him not to be caught up in sin.

Upvote 0