Queensland
✟16,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
When it comes down to brass tacks, the thing I've found completely appalling is how every Christian I have ever met seemingly has no vested interest in me at all.

They're not interested in my hopes, my dreams, my fears, my thoughts, my creativity, my experiences, or anything that makes me who I was then or who I am now. I cannot fathom how such people claim that their God is all about a relationship, and they themselves show little interest in having one with me.

Ruien

Aug 11, 2017
Mt Vernon
✟20,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you found that atheists--as a group--have a interest in you and your inner being, your hopes and dreams, and what makes you tick? Can you confidently make such general conclusions? Perhaps your findings are inconclusive due to small sample size. ...Just joking. But I wonder if you're presuming that every Christian you meet is going to be like psychotherapist who is intent on getting to know the real you.

I'm not an authority but I can tell you that in my experience, the Christian gospel describes our human souls in general terms but that when we study it it illuminates our being in the most specific and personal possible way. Sin applies to every one of us. Every one of us is in need of a savior. Every one of us could stand to be sanctified in Christ, to become a new and better person by aligning our thoughts and actions to Christ. (Or having them so aligned by the Holy Spirit. I can't say I entirely understand the causal direction here.)

Your personal sins, your worries, your hopes, your difficulties, your methods of dealing with your problems... those are known by God. Someone once said that confession (as in the Catholic tradition) is a little bit fishy because the person you're confessing your sins to is just that: a person, a mortal sinner, just like you. But in any case, when we confess our sins to God through prayer, we approach awareness of the moral lawgiver and so develop a greater understanding of ourselves.

Upvote 0

BioLeap

The Linchpin
May 27, 2019
Queensland
✟16,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Have you found that atheists--as a group--have a interest in you and your inner being, your hopes and dreams, and what makes you tick? Can you confidently make such general conclusions? Perhaps your findings are inconclusive due to small sample size. ...Just joking. But I wonder if you're presuming that every Christian you meet is going to be like psychotherapist who is intent on getting to know the real you.

I'm not an authority but I can tell you that in my experience, the Christian gospel describes our human souls in general terms but that when we study it it illuminates our being in the most specific and personal possible way. Sin applies to every one of us. Every one of us is in need of a savior. Every one of us could stand to be sanctified in Christ, to become a new and better person by aligning our thoughts and actions to Christ. (Or having them so aligned by the Holy Spirit. I can't say I entirely understand the causal direction here.)

Your personal sins, your worries, your hopes, your difficulties, your methods of dealing with your problems... those are known by God. Someone once said that confession (as in the Catholic tradition) is a little bit fishy because the person you're confessing your sins to is just that: a person, a mortal sinner, just like you. But in any case, when we confess our sins to God through prayer, we approach awareness of the moral lawgiver and so develop a greater understanding of ourselves.
There is no sin that puzzles me more than belief itself. That being said, I am the one who has surpassed all generality.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,151,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When it comes down to brass tacks, the thing I've found completely appalling is how every Christian I have ever met seemingly has no vested interest in me at all.

They're not interested in my hopes, my dreams, my fears, my thoughts, my creativity, my experiences, or anything that makes me who I was then or who I am now. I cannot fathom how such people claim that their God is all about a relationship, and they themselves show little interest in having one with me.

What do you offer other people by which they may be motivated to 'vest interest' in you, BioLeap? (And I'm mainly asking in reference to your experiences off-line and in the mainstream of existential life rather than online in an anonymous social context ...)

[By the way, that's a cool name and avatar you have. ;)]

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That is certainly applicable to me, and you are absolutely correct that I and others fall behind on this. It is something I always have to check about myself, am I talking at the person, or talking to the person. Am I letting the bitter and hateful people here numb my love for those seeking Christ? I have been praying and fasting, even this very day, to be a better image of Christ.

So what do you hope for in life, what do you think about life after death, what causes you great fear?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BioLeap

The Linchpin
May 27, 2019
Queensland
✟16,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
What do you offer other people by which they may be motivated to 'vest interest' in you, BioLeap? (And I'm mainly asking in reference to your experiences off-line and in the mainstream of existential life rather than online in an anonymous social context ...)

[By the way, that's a cool name and avatar you have. ;)]
Why would I need to offer someone something for them to have a desire to know me? I'm not talking about being loved here, I'm talking about the fact that I've never come across one Christian who really took the time to understand me.

Upvote 0

BioLeap

The Linchpin
May 27, 2019
Queensland
✟16,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
That is certainly applicable to me, and you are absolutely correct that I and others fall behind on this. It is something I always have to check about myself, am I talking at the person, or talking to the person. Am I letting the bitter and hateful people here numb my love for those seeking Christ? I have been praying and fasting, even this very day, to be a better image of Christ.

So what do you hope for in life, what do you think about life after death, what causes you great fear?
Beliefs cause me great fear my friend.

Upvote 0

BioLeap

The Linchpin
May 27, 2019
Queensland
✟16,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
What kind of beliefs? What do you imagine will happen on those beliefs that causes you to fear them?
It's not anything I believe, it's that beliefs are wrong. All beliefs are wrong, any belief is always going to be unfounded in reality

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,151,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why would I need to offer someone something for them to have a desire to know me? I'm not talking about being loved here, I'm talking about the fact that I've never come across one Christian who really took the time to understand me.

Well, if you exude a 'rough around the edges' personality, then some people who are not so emotionally intelligent may be warded away from interacting more deeply with you or wanting to find out more about you. :dontcare:Just a little psychological f.y.i. But, I'm guessing you already know this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's not anything I believe, it's that beliefs are wrong. All beliefs are wrong, any belief is always going to be unfounded in reality
But, those statement are beliefs. If all beliefs are wrong, then the belief that "all beliefs are wrong" is also wrong. And so we should believe that some beliefs are right. These types of doubts tend to eat the very floor they stand on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Magillacuddy

From the dark, to the light...
Aug 2, 2016
Heartland
✟23,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well ok, tell me a little about you that you think is relevant here.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟244,038.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

The Bible says, "He who would have friends must show himself friendly." It also says that we reap what we sow. When, then, I hear someone say, "Nobody likes me. Nobody wants to know me," I wonder what they've been sowing. A person who makes the effort to know and care about others usually reaps their interest and friendship.

Upvote 0