Shane658

Nov 16, 2015
✟15,210.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all - 1 Cor 14:18

I am sure that all of Paul's tongues did not come with an interpretation.

What Paul not an Apostle?Yes
Did he not have to spread the Gospel?Yes
Did he speak in other Languages?Yes
He did indeed speak in more languages than many , how else would he be able to spread it?

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,067,169.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. - 1 Cor 14:2

There have been interpretations of tongues in our services. The interpretation is also made manifest with the same sweet spirit as the tongues. In earlier times we had more Holy Spirit baptized folk who would do us the service of interpreting. We have had occasion, especially with the younger generations, where it was obvious that the tongues and the interpretation were not of God. Order of service is paramount and it is unfortunate that we have to deal with these kind of folks. Most of the time the wrong kind of tongues is accompanied with a spirit of arrogance. In which, if I had to chat with this generation, it would be that the unction of the Holy Spirit is not ego.

To me it is a precious thing that the tongues is accompanied with a sweet spirit which can be sensed in the sanctuary.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,067,169.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
What Paul not an Apostle?Yes
Did he not have to spread the Gospel?Yes
Did he speak in other Languages?Yes
He did indeed speak in more languages than many , how else would he be able to spread it?
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. - Mark 17

Jesus Christ said it was to those who would believe... Not just for the apostles. Read Mark 17!

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all - 1 Cor 14:18

I am sure that all of Paul's tongues did not come with an interpretation.
What would make you so sure of that?

Anyway, now that I've read all of your posts since the last one of mine, I feel that the following question may be the most appropriate:

If you are able to dismiss some of the testimony of the New Testament relating to tongues (that they must be interpreted, for example) as you seem to me to have done, why would a single Bible verse always be thrown up to Cessationists for merely pointing out that tongues did, as a historical fact, cease?

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,067,169.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I wish that I could say that all our services were blessed with people talking in tongues in the sanctuary...

Who hath directed the Spirit of the Lord, or being his counsellor hath taught him? - Isaiah 40:13

We cannot dictate the Holy Spirit of God... We just merely flow with him.

Upvote 0

Shane658

Nov 16, 2015
✟15,210.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. - 1 Cor 14:2

There have been interpretations of tongues in our services. The interpretation is also made manifest with the same sweet spirit as the tongues. In earlier times we had more Holy Spirit baptized folk who would do us the service of interpreting. We have had occasion, especially with the younger generations, where it was obvious that the tongues and the interpretation were not of God. Order of service is paramount and it is unfortunate that we have to deal with these kind of folks. Most of the time the wrong kind of tongues is accompanied with a spirit of arrogance. In which, if I had to chat with this generation, it would be that the unction of the Holy Spirit is not ego.

To me it is a precious thing that the tongues is accompanied with a sweet spirit which can be sensed in the sanctuary.

I will have you answer this question for yourself.
If I spoke in Nepali and I told you to place it in one of two categorizes.Known language or Unknown Language which one are you going place it in.Known language if you know it or Unknown Language if you don't.
2)Would it be right for me to communicate to you in Nepali?
3)Therefore according to the Verse you just quoted what should I do?

Upvote 0

Shane658

Nov 16, 2015
✟15,210.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I wish that I could say that all our services were blessed with people talking in tongues in the sanctuary...

Who hath directed the Spirit of the Lord, or being his counsellor hath taught him? - Isaiah 40:13

We cannot dictate the Holy Spirit of God... We just merely flow with him.

Tongues is the Bible means Human Languages all throughout the New testament.Your confusing pagan false tongues which are what is done in the Pentecostal Church. .They are not of God.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Funny how no one interpreted the gibberish.
Don't you, in your heart, really want to say; "they/ye are mad"? It wasn't funny to me. As I listened and watched I felt impressed that she was speaking in the 'prayer tongue' of her spirit and there was no interpretation to be made. This happens quite a bit IMO. Like the "ungifted" many 'gifted' believers still don't know that their is a difference between the Acts 2 gift of tongues from The Holy Spirit for church and world edification...and the 'prayer tongue' of 'their spirit' which is for 'self edification' according to scripture.

But often, someone else, in their "zealous-ness for spiritual gifts" will jump up and also give an exuberant but unfortunately soulish interpretation out of their spiritual immaturity (eg "babes in Christ"). This is where the "unlearned/ungifted" believers spoken of by Paul, quite often jump in and are often unable to discern the difference themselves. And then say things like "Funny or gibberish or babble " concerning 'all tongues' in Charismatic/Pentecostal settings.

Not once does it even occur to 'them' that the only true 'biblical babel' of today is the very 'earthly languages' given to 'man', at the Tower of Babel. IOW, English, French, Spanish etc TYPES of languages, like everyone babbling here. Now that's really kinda funny, but sad. o_O

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,067,169.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I was raised Baptist and believed in my heart that all tongues were of the devil. I was brought up in the Marine Corp and it was not considered manly for men to touch one another. I was also cold and arrogant. I was also, having been brought up Baptist, of the Sardisean church age variety. My religion was in my head and whatever did not fit in the mental web was rejected. I am afraid that I was rude to my fellow Catholics. I knew one by the name of Bob in which he reached out with a hand of fellowship in which I heartedly refused. I have tried to look up Bob in the last decade to apologize but have never found his contact address.

My point of view changed with the likes of the early 1900's type Pentecostalism in which I spent the summer after high school with my grandmother and had a rather eventful run in with the Pentecostal Holiness church, as this area of Virginia was in a time capsule, I got an experience of early 1900's Pentecostal anointing.

I fell in with the Pentecostal Holiness church not because of the tongues, but because of the people, which were the finest I have ever met in my entire life. Pictured below is Dallas Linkous JR, which is probably the 'shoutingest' man I have ever met in my entire life. As a teenager I would put up hay with him and go with him to the revivals at night. Both him and his wife were tongue talking, shouting, happy type Pentecostals. The joy was there equally there at home as well as at work. Every one of the fruits of the spirit lamped within their lives like a great over heated pot belly stove. There was also a decency among the people like I have never seen. In the revivals the old folks would sit back weeping and if any caught contact with my amazed look they would declare, "The Holy Ghost! The Holy Ghost!" Pointing to all the souls laid out at the altar. My grandfather was good friends with Dallas. In the 1950's they would have revivals that would go for weeks and early in the AM. Granny said that grandfather could worship the Lord until 2 AM and not have any trouble at all rising at 6 AM for work.

I remember well as a young man Dallas coming behind me to pray with me at the alter, with tears running down his cheek and onto my neck. As a guy who did not like to be touched this was quite profound. At the end of that summer we had a good revival in which the Lord seemed there in a mighty way. On reading the book, "Run Baby Run," by Nikki Cruise, I felt a voice telling me to put the book down. I paused, and then continued again to read. The voice said again "Put the book down." I slept in my Grandmothers living room on an old fold away cot by the open living room door. The Katydids seemed to be singing very loud that night. There in my Grandmothers clean linens I heard the Spirit speak again, "Where is all the stress, worry and hatred?" In which, upon examining my heart, there was nothing there but pure beauty. I thought to myself, "Oh my! I got exactly what those people got!" I would spend the rest of the summer rejoicing with the people and in revival until I went back to Michigan later that September.

Dallas_zps81e23487.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shane658

Nov 16, 2015
✟15,210.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Don't you, in your heart, really want to say; "they/ye are mad"? It wasn't funny to me. As I listened and watched I felt impressed that she was speaking in the 'prayer tongue' of her spirit and there was no interpretation to be made. This happens quite a bit IMO. Like the "ungifted" many 'gifted' believers still don't know that their is a difference between the Acts 2 gift of tongues from The Holy Spirit for church and world edification...and the 'prayer tongue' of 'their spirit' which is for 'self edification' according to scripture.

But often, someone else, in their "zealous-ness for spiritual gifts" will jump up and also give an exuberant but unfortunately soulish interpretation out of their spiritual immaturity (eg "babes in Christ"). This is where the "unlearned/ungifted" believers spoken of by Paul, quite often jump in and are often unable to discern the difference themselves. And then say things like "Funny or gibberish or babble " concerning 'all tongues' in Charismatic/Pentecostal settings.

Not once does it even occur to 'them' that the only true 'biblical babel' of today is the very 'earthly languages' given to 'man', at the Tower of Babel. IOW, English, French, Spanish etc TYPES of languages, like everyone babbling here. Now that's really kinda funny, but sad. o_O
I am not amazed how you took one word "funny" and tried to twist it Your taking "ungifted" as well and twisting it..The point of me saying that was to show that once again your proving my point on how it doesn't line with what is spoken in scripture.Did Paul not say "What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?" You keep saying Unlearned or ungifted yet how can you yourself say Amen to what was said in the video?You cant and neither can I.No one in the video understood anything she said.
The languages at the tower of babel are real human languages today..
You have yet to disprove the Verse of "tongues of men and Angels" And speaking in an unknown tongue verses that many have already explained to you.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,067,169.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Let us here the conclusion of the matter...

Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues. - 1 Corinthians 14:39

Forbid not to speak in tongues - In other words, don't discourage it! I would not tell this sister not to speak in tongues as the preacher would go on to preach the message...

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I fell in with the Pentecostal Holiness church not because of the tongues, but because of the people, which were the finest I have ever met in my entire life.
I can identify with those sentiments and I do have Pentecostal friends whom I value very much. What bothers me the most (if that's an accurate way of putting it) is the insistence of most of them that "if you don't do (or understand) this in the same way as we, you're unscriptural" or not a complete Christian, and then come the elaborate attempts to show me that tongues couldn't have ceased even though they did. To me, that's similar to Catholics who say that if you don't pray to Mary and call her "the Blessed Mother" or "Queen of Heaven" you are dishonoring her or something else in that vein. The fact that people do pray in unknown sounds isn't in itself something I particularly worry about or stew over.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shane658

Nov 16, 2015
✟15,210.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues. - 1 Corinthians 14:39

Forbid not to speak in tongues - In other words, don't discourage it! I would not tell this sister not to speak in tongues as the preacher would go on to preach the message...

DId anything I say before make any sense to you my friend?I will address that verse, as soon as I get a response.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Forbid not to speak in tongues - In other words, don't discourage it!
I think he was referring there to real tongues, though. They later would cease when the purpose for them was accomplished.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,067,169.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I think he was referring there to real tongues, though. They later would cease when the purpose for them was accomplished.

If that were true then the following scripture would have read...

And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues... Mark 16:17

would have read...

And these signs shall follow the Apostles; In my name shall they cast out devils and they shall speak with new tongues... Mark 16:17

The Apostle Paul was aware that a Christian people had not the Holy Spirit....

24 And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus.
25 This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.
26 And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly. -Acts 18

And Paul was like... Whoa... This Christian is lacking something...

1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
7 And all the men were about twelve.- Acts 19

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If that were true then the following scripture would have read...
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues... Mark 16:17
would have read...
And these signs shall follow the Apostles; In my name shall they cast out devils and they shall speak with new tongues... Mark 16:17
I didn't say anything about tongues being confined to Apostles.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,067,169.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I didn't say anything about tongues being confined to Apostles.

It would be my judgement that if the Apostle Paul were to come back in this day and time that he would be laying hands on people to get the Holy Ghost, just like he did in Acts 19. And that he would also take great care in the order of the service.

Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? - 1 Corinthians 12:30

I have also noted that most of the people I have heard speak in tongues were good hearted people, with a very few that I would classify as intelligent. The Holy Spirit falls on people, and when he does there is personality that comes out with the tongues. In this day of education I would say that I have met very few who have got the Holy Ghost with the speaking in tongues who were educated. So that poses a problem for we Pentecostals, how to educate the mind and still stay good spiritually.

Then there are those who speak in tongues but there are issues ... People regrettably can speak in tongues out of the flesh instead of out of the Spirit. Therefore it is of my estimation that speaking in tongues is a poor indicator of whether or not someone had received the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

SteveCaruso

Translator
May 17, 2010
✟54,511.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
27 If anyone speaks in [another] language, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn; and let one interpret. 28 But if there is no one to interpret, let them be silent in church and speak to themselves and to God.
37 Anyone who claims to be a prophet, or to have spiritual powers, must acknowledge that what I am writing to you is a command of the Lord. 38 Anyone who does not recognize this is not to be recognized. 39 So, my friends, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues; 40 but all things should be done decently and in order.

This kind of uninterpreted babble is in direct opposition to this teaching, and the words of Paul are rather strong.

Do not forbid tongues, correct, but they must be done properly (i.e. interpreted or be quiet) or they/the speaker are not to be recognized.

None of us, then, should be recognizing the "tongues" in this video. They are not tongues.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,067,169.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
There are occasion where there is no interpretations. This lady did speak in tongues in the service, as there was no interpreter she afterwords kept quiet. There are times when tongues are interpreted but this is done by the Holy Spirit and not man. If no one interpreted the tongues we have always assumed that someone in the service was not obedient.

There was love, joy, and a sweet spirit in this church service... How is it with yours?

Upvote 0