timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,619.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
According to Acts 2 in the Pentecost, it is being able to fluently speak in another Earth language you know nothing or only little about as enabled by the Holy Spirit.

In this case, someone from your audience would understand what you're speaking in his or her native language.

The thing you mostly see in churches that's nothing but babbling and nobody could understand is a blasphemy of the Word.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,619.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think more people should speak less and that would be a gift of tongues indeed.

I only have this gift in face to face conversations :D But because conversations like these are rarely spoken in real life, these are things I find very interesting.

Reactions: DrBubbaLove
Upvote 0

OrthodoxForever

Has been saved, Being saved, (LHM) WILL be saved
Nov 8, 2015
Midwest USA
✟16,761.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I tend to ere on the human languages side of the debate as well, although I have experienced God essentially giving me the right words to say while I was still speaking English once and I would include that as well.

Upvote 0

Shane658

Nov 16, 2015
✟15,210.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Do you think that it's actual speaking in tongues like some churches practice or is it speaking languages you don't know or know very little of or even just being given the right words to say?
What goes on in Pentecostal churches today are unbiblical tongues/gibberish/false teaching, Tongues were human languages. Verses have been taken out of context in 1st Corinthians to justify what goes on today.

Reactions: Righttruth
Upvote 0

Imagican

old dude
Jan 14, 2006
Orlando, Florida
✟45,021.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And it is CLEAR if one reads the Bible in context. Every use of the word 'tongues' in the Bible is in reference to actual LANGUAGES. So 'unknown tongues' would be languages unknown to the speaker or listener.

There is no evidence of gibberish being spoken in the Bible and it being called 'tongues' or 'unknown tongues'.

But there is evidence, both modern and historical, that gibberish or something akin to it was uttered by those possessed by 'spirits'.

In Voodoo practices, we witness those 'possessed' uttering sounds that are NOT 'language'. Not any KNOWN language.

And in history, oracles often uttered what seemed to be gibberish only able to be interpreted by the 'priests'.

And there is evidence that indicates that certain religions coveted uttering sounds that they believed to be inspired by spirits or gods. A means of personal communication that would be confusing to other spirits and therefore, a means of communication that was sort of coded. HIDDEN from all but one making such utterances and the entity to which it was being directed to.

When Paul rebuked the Corinthians for abusing or falsely using 'tongues', he didn't tell them that they did NOT EXIST. He warned them that such attempts at SELF EDIFICATION were contrary to the Spirit that was capable of bringing edification to the 'church', (Body).

The indication is that previous to their introduction to The Spirit, they practiced some form or forms of religion that involved 'speaking in gibberish'. And that at the time Paul wrote to them, he had been informed that the people were reverting BACK into their previous pagan ways.

Of ALL the epistles written to the different 'churches' by Paul, the 'church in Corinth' was the ONLY one that he even MENTIONED 'tongues'. Why? And when we read what he offered, it was REBUKE, not ENCOURAGEMENT to continue in their practices.

And all that is needed to recognize the context is his offering,

1 Corinthians 14:19 (KJV)
19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

If five words of understanding are MORE important than ten thousand words in an 'unknown tongue', the obviousness is that 'unknown tongues' being referenced are USELESS except when used to bring about SELF EDIFICATION. An attempt to make oneself FEEL GOOD or impress others.

1/2000th is the literal translation of his words. That speaking in unknown tongues in only 1/2000th as important as speaking in words of understanding. Hmmmm................. If you added 1/2000th of an ingredient to any dish, it would be absolutely without effect. It wouldn't alter the taste at ALL. And imagine something only 1/2000th the importance of another. The one part in 2000 would indicate an utter INSIGNIFICANCE. Of NO benefit whatsoever.

Yet those that insist upon the importance of speaking in 'unknown tongues' seem to be able to ignore or alter the significance of these words offered by Paul.

Blessings,

MEC

Reactions: brotherjerry
Upvote 0

GDunn

Nov 1, 2015
✟602.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
What goes on in Pentecostal churches today are unbiblical tongues/gibberish/false teaching, Tongues were human languages. Verses have been taken out of context in 1st Corinthians to justify what goes on today.
Tongues of angels are human language?

1 Cor 13

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.

Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

GDunn

Nov 1, 2015
✟602.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
And it is CLEAR if one reads the Bible in context. Every use of the word 'tongues' in the Bible is in reference to actual LANGUAGES. So 'unknown tongues' would be languages unknown to the speaker or listener.

There is no evidence of gibberish being spoken in the Bible and it being called 'tongues' or 'unknown tongues'.

But there is evidence, both modern and historical, that gibberish or something akin to it was uttered by those possessed by 'spirits'.

In Voodoo practices, we witness those 'possessed' uttering sounds that are NOT 'language'. Not any KNOWN language.

And in history, oracles often uttered what seemed to be gibberish only able to be interpreted by the 'priests'.

And there is evidence that indicates that certain religions coveted uttering sounds that they believed to be inspired by spirits or gods. A means of personal communication that would be confusing to other spirits and therefore, a means of communication that was sort of coded. HIDDEN from all but one making such utterances and the entity to which it was being directed to.

When Paul rebuked the Corinthians for abusing or falsely using 'tongues', he didn't tell them that they did NOT EXIST. He warned them that such attempts at SELF EDIFICATION were contrary to the Spirit that was capable of bringing edification to the 'church', (Body).

The indication is that previous to their introduction to The Spirit, they practiced some form or forms of religion that involved 'speaking in gibberish'. And that at the time Paul wrote to them, he had been informed that the people were reverting BACK into their previous pagan ways.

Of ALL the epistles written to the different 'churches' by Paul, the 'church in Corinth' was the ONLY one that he even MENTIONED 'tongues'. Why? And when we read what he offered, it was REBUKE, not ENCOURAGEMENT to continue in their practices.

19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

If five words of understanding are MORE important than ten thousand words in an 'unknown tongue', the obviousness is that 'unknown tongues' being referenced are USELESS except when used to bring about SELF EDIFICATION. An attempt to make oneself FEEL GOOD or impress others.

1/2000th is the literal translation of his words. That speaking in unknown tongues in only 1/2000th as important as speaking in words of understanding. Hmmmm................. If you added 1/2000th of an ingredient to any dish, it would be absolutely without effect. It wouldn't alter the taste at ALL. And imagine something only 1/2000th the importance of another. The one part in 2000 would indicate an utter INSIGNIFICANCE. Of NO benefit whatsoever.

Yet those that insist upon the importance of speaking in 'unknown tongues' seem to be able to ignore or alter the significance of these words offered by Paul.

Blessings,

MEC

Speaking tongues of angels allows for the Holy Spirit to indwell. What those tongues mean may not be evident right away or at all. But the mechanism is to allow God in, and the speaker Jesus Christ to say to the recipient.

It isn't any big deal, and SHONDALA GONDOLA GIBBERAH will not suffice.

If the Spirit is not entering, then stop. The Gift is not for everyone. It is TRICKLED DOWN from ideal when they actually did have the Gift abundant. But not dead. Don't shut the door just because you THINK this is foolishness. NO Gift of Spirit can ever be said to be FOOLISHNESS.

Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GDunn

Nov 1, 2015
✟602.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married

Blessings,

MEC

He is speaking of unmitigated and undisciplined public outcries in congregation.

But personal prayer may have the tongues of angels inherent. This allows the Spirit to enter and the man to receive.

Much about our religion is mystical and beyond us. And the key to the channel to God is very much in this category.

You must enter in as a child and no adult can do this easily in this day and SCIENTIFIC age.

The Joy Indescribable is exactly what God touches us with. And nominal Christians will not get down to the NITTY GRITTY faith which is a whole 'nother dimension in our spiritual life. SPIRITUAL means "of spirit," sir.

Upvote 0

GDunn

Nov 1, 2015
✟602.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married

Much of it is...but these dudes and dudettes are trying. Most on the other hand live a nominal Christian life. Jesus is an add-on app. Religion is not that important at all. Free pass to heaven and all of that.

Reactions: Hillsage
Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,247.00
Faith
Christian
Tongues of angels are human language?

1 Cor 13

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.

Paul never spoke in the language of angels nor did he exhort others to. In the NT there is no evidence of tongues being anything other than human languages.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I tend to ere on the human languages side of the debate as well, although I have experienced God essentially giving me the right words to say while I was still speaking English once and I would include that as well.
That is a Spiritual gift/word of knowledge or possibly a Spritual gift/word of wisdom but it is not speaking tongues or the supernatural language of your spirit which according to Corinthians ALSO, is a language no man understands.

1CO 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Note: Not an earthly language of man if "NO MAN UNDERSTANDETH" and it isn't the Holy Spirit speaking it is your holy spirit, IF you have been born again and are Holy Spirit baptized.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Imagican

old dude
Jan 14, 2006
Orlando, Florida
✟45,021.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Speaking tongues of angels allows for the Holy Spirit to indwell. What those tongues mean may not be evident right away or at all. But the mechanism is to allow God in, and the speaker Jesus Christ to say to the recipient.

It isn't any big deal, and SHONDALA GONDOLA GIBBERAH will not suffice.

If the Spirit is not entering, then stop. The Gift is not for everyone. It is TRICKLED DOWN from ideal when they actually did have the Gift abundant. But not dead. Don't shut the door just because you THINK this is foolishness. NO Gift of Spirit can ever be said to be FOOLISHNESS.

Remember what I stated from the beginning? IN CONTEXT. And if the words of Paul are taken IN CONTEXT, his reference to 'tongues of Angels' is nothing more than an allusion to something that may well have no actual validity whatsoever. You know, like saying, "If I could FLY but have no charity..................". or "If I were the richest man on the planet but have no charity...............". There is NOTHING offered that would indicate what you have tried to offer as VALID. If there WERE 'tongues of Angels' and they sounded like gibberish, I am quite SURE that it would be KNOWLEDGE, not something 'made up'.

You obviously IGNORED all that I offered and instead chose to try and defend the use of gibberish as 'unknown tongues', not from a biblical perspective, for that's IMPOSSIBLE without taking words out of the Bible OUT OF CONTEXT, but instead, tried to defend a BELIEF system that is utterly opposed to the TRUTH offered IN the Bible. Not surprising. Because you probably believe in being 'slain in the spirit' and a number of other specific behavior that exists in certain denominations formed and perpetuated by MEN who chose to ignore what they are offered in the Bible.

If someone was truly 'slain the spirit', why would someone stand behind them to catch them? If it was 'God's will' that someone FALL DOWN backwards, wouldn't it be contrary to His will to CATCH THEM? What if God's will was for someone to DIE from their fall in order to save their soul? And YOU caught them and prevented it?

But back to gibberish being called 'unknown tongues'.

There is absolutely NOTHING to gained from speaking in gibberish that YOU don't even understand or anyone around you. Other than 'self edification'. According to those that practice it, it is a SIGN of being 'born in the Spirit'. So it would certainly be of significance to those that wanted others to THINK that they were truly 'born again'. And it would indicate that those that speak in such a manner were MORE 'spiritual' or MORE acceptable to God.

But Paul's words of rebuke to those in Corinth FALSELY using tongues in such a manner are PERFECTLY clear to those that are capable of discernment.

Unknown Tongues were FOR A SIGN. NOT to them that BELIEVE, but to them that BELIEVE NOT. And if gibberish doesn't offer a COMPREHENSIBLE sign to NON BELIEVERS, then whatever gibberish one is speaking is NOT the 'unknown tongues' being referenced. Doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to CLEARLY see the TRUTH of the words above. But it does take a willingness to understand and ACCEPT them.

And then Paul plainly states that tongues would CEASE. So all we need to discern is WHEN. And he answers that question as well. "When that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away". Now the only question left is: what IS that which is perfect? And some stumble at this like it's a railroad tie.

All one needs to do is place these words in context. Determine WHAT Paul is talking about. And the answer is CLEAR to those that are capable of proper discernment.

Paul spent an entire chapter taking about 'charity'. The ability and willingness to share with others. So what he's referring to is the LEARNING and PRACTICING of 'charity'. He even states that NOTHING one can DO means ANYTHING without 'charity'. This would INCLUDE the use of an 'unknown tongue'. Giving. Feeding. Whatever one DOES means NOTHING without it being done out of CHARITY.

So, with this in mind, it then becomes apparent: that which is perfect isn't reference the return of Christ as many suggest. It means that when WE, as followers of Christ, come to a perfect understanding of 'charity' and the ability to practice it.

He states that NOW, we see through a glass DARKLY. But then, (when we learn to understand and practice 'charity'), we will KNOW Christ as He already KNOWS us. And this is NOT referencing a RETURN. It's in reference to RIGHT THIS VERY MOMENT. Or the very moment in which Paul uttered these words which was two thousand years ago.

And then there is the 'putting away of childish things'. This in DIRECT confrontation to the false use of 'unknown tongues'. For if those that were/are practicing such things EVER come to the truth, they will clearly recognize that it offers NO EDIFICATION of others and only to ONESELF. And that is about as childish as anything can be. We become ADULTS in Christ when we learn what it means to offer ourselves for the SAKE of others. The trivial pursuits of Baptism, speaking in tongues, eating wafers, ALL these things pale in comparison to the TRUTH of what it means to be a TRUE follower. For it's not ritual that Christ came to teach, but LOVE. And those that learn what love is and how to share it among each other don't NEED any such trivial things in the lives any longer. They 'put away such childish things'.

For it is NOT about the first moment we are introduced to Christ, it's about what we LEARN and DO afterwards. Some insist that they NEED that original feeling and do whatever they are able seeking to repeat it for their own self edification. But the Bible tells us that we suppose to GROW UP instead of remaining BABES in Christ. And by growing up it means to PUT AWAY childish things so far as SELF edification and start DOING that which pertains to learning and practicing the LOVE that Christ has shared with US.

Blessings,

MEC

Reactions: brotherjerry
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GDunn

Nov 1, 2015
✟602.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Paul never spoke in the language of angels nor did he exhort others to. In the NT there is no evidence of tongues being anything other than human languages.

WHETHER I SPEAK the tongues of men OR THE ANGELS...did I not just post this?

I thank God I speak more tongues than ANY OF YOU, how many translated foreign languages did Paul know? And if he was speaking to men who KNEW his foreign tongue then what purpose is "interpretation?" They already KNEW what he said.

Upvote 0

GDunn

Nov 1, 2015
✟602.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
[
QUOTE="Imagican, post: 68872112, member: 137539"]Remember what I stated from the beginning? IN CONTEXT. And if the words of Paul are taken IN CONTEXT, his reference to 'tongues of Angels' is nothing more than an allusion to something that may well have no actual validity whatsoever. You know, like saying, "If I could FLY but have no charity..................". or "If I were the richest man on the planet but have no charity...............". There is NOTHING offered that would indicate what you have tried to offer as VALID. If there WERE 'tongues of Angels' and they sounded like gibberish, I am quite SURE that it would be KNOWLEDGE, not something 'made up'.

The first evidences of tongues re-emerged among men were at Azusa Street. These were spontaneous and real glossolalia for a large part. You get carried along by Spirit and say what came not from you.

You obviously IGNORED all that I offered and instead chose to try and defend the use of gibberish as 'unknown tongues', not from a biblical perspective, for that's IMPOSSIBLE without taking words out of the Bible OUT OF CONTEXT, but instead, tried to defend a BELIEF system that is utterly opposed to the TRUTH offered IN the Bible. Not surprising. Because you probably believe in being 'slain in the spirit' and a number of other specific behavior that exists in certain denominations formed and perpetuated by MEN who chose to ignore what they are offered in the Bible.

So you don't believe a person can be "slain" either. This is in fact an observed event, and not even COVERED by the Bible, unless that was what happened when Jesus was about to be taken and they "fell down."

I observed a young girl who was visiting our congregation. AofG, and there was no impetus to DO THIS for anyone. Some might end up on the ground but by volition usually as a prostration. But she really did get slain and "saw heaven" without any personal volition to do so. I saw her eyes, smile and expression of wonder and knew it really did happen to her.
Also the in-law of the pastor said to me he was often slain. No drama, for he was never dramatic. No pride or foolishness at all. I've seen him on his back once, and he seemed to me supremely happy.

If someone was truly 'slain the spirit', why would someone stand behind them to catch them? If it was 'God's will' that someone FALL DOWN backwards, wouldn't it be contrary to His will to CATCH THEM? What if God's will was for someone to DIE from their fall in order to save their soul? And YOU caught them and prevented it?

Em, since you watch too much TV? That isn't the real deal, sir. Ain't no catchers in any congregation I've seen. Someone may be fallin' over backwards and another might try to keep their heads from bangin'. But oddly enough I've never seen an injury. Some specific times there COULD have been one. But alas God is behind the Spirit and no one gets hurt.

But back to gibberish being called 'unknown tongues'.

What makes you think you know a SINGLE thing about real tongues, sir? Ever seen it? Heard it? Nope.

There is absolutely NOTHING to gained from speaking in gibberish that YOU don't even understand or anyone around you. Other than 'self edification'. According to those that practice it, it is a SIGN of being 'born in the Spirit'. So it would certainly be of significance to those that wanted others to THINK that they were truly 'born again'. And it would indicate that those that speak in such a manner were MORE 'spiritual' or MORE acceptable to God.

Most times we keep our tongues to ourselves. Like I said you watch Benny Hinn TOO MUCH.

But Paul's words of rebuke to those in Corinth FALSELY using tongues in such a manner are PERFECTLY clear to those that are capable of discernment.

You aren't pentecostal so you HAVE no discernment, sir.

Unknown Tongues were FOR A SIGN. NOT to them that BELIEVE, but to them that BELIEVE NOT. And if gibberish doesn't offer a COMPREHENSIBLE sign to NON BELIEVERS, then whatever gibberish one is speaking is NOT the 'unknown tongues' being referenced. Doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to CLEARLY see the TRUTH of the words above. But it does take a willingness to understand and ACCEPT them.

Blah blah and blah. Rocket scientists also have no idea under this sun what CAN happen.

And then Paul plainly states that tongues would CEASE. So all we need to discern is WHEN. And he answers that question as well. "When that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away". Now the only question left is: what IS that which is perfect? And some stumble at this like it's a railroad tie.

Tongues HAVE ceased and they will wane and come back. Mark my words.

All one needs to do is place these words in context. Determine WHAT Paul is talking about. And the answer is CLEAR to those that are capable of proper discernment.

You can't rationalize a supernatural event. This idea is hokey and awry. But many believe as you do. So what?

Paul spent an entire chapter taking about 'charity'. The ability and willingness to share with others. So what he's referring to is the LEARNING and PRACTICING of 'charity'. He even states that NOTHING one can DO means ANYTHING without 'charity'. This would INCLUDE the use of an 'unknown tongue'. Giving. Feeding. Whatever one DOES means NOTHING without it being done out of CHARITY.

Uh yes. The MAIN gift of the Holy Spirit baptism is actually the LOVE OF YHWH and in extension the love of his beloved Son.

This is because we FELT the pure touch of the Living God, sir. We have the jump and the LEAP to do Shema. Foretold in Deut 30 for many. Not you, apparently.

So, with this in mind, it then becomes apparent: that which is perfect isn't reference the return of Christ as many suggest. It means that when WE, as followers of Christ, come to a perfect understanding of 'charity' and the ability to practice it.

Yes, charity to others comes from the pure love that man CAN have for God. A supernatural love which makes a man relatively righteous.

He states that NOW, we see through a glass DARKLY. But then, (when we learn to understand and practice 'charity'), we will KNOW Christ as He already KNOWS us. And this is NOT referencing a RETURN. It's in reference to RIGHT THIS VERY MOMENT. Or the very moment in which Paul uttered these words which was two thousand years ago.

Nothing about any tongues, prophesies or inspiration which IS totally clear. It ain't something you can read in a textbook for instance. Maybe a prophet or two actually HEARD the voice of YHWH. MANY however had this mystical spirit relationship with God. BAT QOL voice of God isn't like me speaken to you sir. I don't know exactly WHAT it is, only that the prophets had this channel or way of communication.

And then there is the 'putting away of childish things'. This in DIRECT confrontation to the false use of 'unknown tongues'. For if those that were/are practicing such things EVER come to the truth, they will clearly recognize that it offers NO EDIFICATION of others and only to ONESELF. And that is about as childish as anything can be. We become ADULTS in Christ when we learn what it means to offer ourselves for the SAKE of others. The trivial pursuits of Baptism, speaking in tongues, eating wafers, ALL these things pale in comparison to the TRUTH of what it means to be a TRUE follower. For it's not ritual that Christ came to teach, but LOVE. And those that learn what love is and how to share it among each other don't NEED any such trivial things in the lives any longer. They 'put away such childish things'.

Do you think THIS is childish, sir?

The Talmud also says that "the Shekinah rests on man neither through gloom, nor through sloth, nor through frivolity, nor through levity, nor through talk, nor through idle chatter, but only through a matter of joy in connection with a precept, as it is said, But now bring me a minstrel. And it came to pass, when the minstrel played, that the hand of the Lord came upon him". [2Kings 3:15] [Shabbat 30b][citation needed]

The Shekinah is associated with the transformational spirit of God regarded as the source of prophecy:

After that thou shalt come to the hill of God, where is the garrison of the Philistines; and it shall come to pass, when thou art come thither to the city, that thou shalt meet a band of prophets coming down from the high place with a psaltery, and a timbrel, and a pipe, and a harp, before them; and they will be prophesying. And the spirit of the LORD will come mightily upon thee, and thou shalt prophesy with them, and shalt be turned into another man.
1 Sam 10.

For it is NOT about the first moment we are introduced to Christ, it's about what we LEARN and DO afterwards. Some insist that they NEED that original feeling and do whatever they are able seeking to repeat it for their own self edification. But the Bible tells us that we suppose to GROW UP instead of remaining BABES in Christ. And by growing up it means to PUT AWAY childish things so far as SELF edification and start DOING that which pertains to learning and practicing the LOVE that Christ has shared with US.

I agree. Baptism in Spirit is the ENTRY into Covenant. And faith has to be built upon faith. FROM faith to faith we grow.

By the way, this IS the "Free Gift" Paul spoke of. The ENTRY into Covenant is the promise of the Father. The Baptism in Spirit. But now and now we are just starting our Shema race for the Living God. And this race will COST a man all he has.

Have you just heard true gospel, sir? Clap your HANDS and shout HALLELUYAH!!

Roll in them aisles and SEE how far you can twirl around in circles. MEE HAW.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,247.00
Faith
Christian
WHETHER I SPEAK the tongues of men OR THE ANGELS...did I not just post this?

No, 1 Cor 13 doesn't say that Paul spoke in the language of angels. That is a very common misinterpretation of that verse. If you look at the context it is obvious that Paul means something completely different.

This verse forms one of 5 parallel statements to illustrate the importance of love over the spiritual gifts.

1 Cor 13:1-3
  • If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
  • If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and
  • if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
  • And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and
  • if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

Firstly Paul doesn't say he did any of those things. Each of them is an IF statement. He is saying that even if he did have those kinds of gifts, but not have love, they would be worthless.

Secondly it is quite obvious that in each of these statements Paul is using exaggerated figurative language:

Did Paul really have the gift of prophecy to such a degree that he literally knew ALL mysteries and ALL knowledge. ie was he omniscient? Obviously not.

Did Paul have the gift of faith to such a degree that he could literally move mountains? No.

Did Paul have the gift of giving to such a degree that he literally gave ALL his possessions to the poor. That would include his clothes. Did Paul walk around naked? No.

Did Paul literally give his own body to be burned? No.

And neither did he speak in the language of angels. He was speaking hypothetically, just like the other statements. None of those parallel statements are meant to be taken literally. What Paul is saying is that even if he possessed spiritual gifts to an impossibly superlative degree, but not have love, they would be worthless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GDunn

Nov 1, 2015
✟602.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
No, 1 Cor 13 doesn't say that Paul spoke in the language of angels. That is a very common misinterpretation of that verse. If you look at the context it is obvious that Paul means something completely different.

This verse forms one of 5 parallel statements to illustrate the importance of love over the spiritual gifts.

1 Cor 13:1-3
  • If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
  • If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and
  • if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
  • And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and
  • if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

Firstly Paul doesn't say he did any of those things. Each of them is an IF statement. He is saying that even if he did have those kinds of gifts, but not have love, they would be worthless.

Secondly it is quite obvious that in each of these statements Paul is using exaggerated figurative language:

Did Paul really have the gift of prophecy to such a degree that he literally knew ALL mysteries and ALL knowledge. ie was he omniscient? Obviously not.

Did Paul have the gift of faith to such a degree that he could literally move mountains? No.

Did Paul have the gift of giving to such a degree that he literally gave ALL his possessions to the poor. That would include his clothes. Did Paul walk around naked? No.

Did Paul literally give his own body to be burned? No.

And neither did he speak in the language of angels. He was speaking hypothetically, just like the other statements. None of those parallel statements are meant to be taken literally. What Paul is saying is that even if he possessed spiritual gifts to an impossibly superlative degree, but not have love, they would be worthless.

You COULD say he was speaking hypothetically, but I don't believe it.

I AM a pentecostal and would never deny the touch of God which supernaturally was done.

HOWEVER the tongues part of the Baptism is heinously misdirected by men on both sides. The MAIN Gift is that of love. Shema. God loves you supernaturally, and what would you then do, sir?

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think that it's actual speaking in tongues like some churches practice or is it speaking languages you don't know or know very little of or even just being given the right words to say?

It was known languages in the Bible. I don't believe they're active today.

Upvote 0