the devils tramping ground: america

youngjoshuatree

Aug 31, 2009
✟7,674.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
why do we spread images of jesus being white? i cant believe how ignorant ive been and it is deffinatly important because so many american churchs hate blacks. i am amazed as a white man at the true history of our beginning the middle east was ran by colored skinned people. history supports white origins actually even comming from the cursed son of ham canaan. confused though because seems white roots also come from japneth another of noahs son. im glad its all about jesus but christians and the worldly man has much apologies to give and needs to teach better history in schools. in reality its the worldly white man who hates god its so unreal but the world has to face the fact. look at the tv you can tell white suppremcy is supported look at commerical its allways white people and expensive consummer products while the same media portrays black people as barbaric. im glad im married to a black women and is taking a stand against racism. whites need to be rerooted and i know this because biased opinion showed by my family towards my marriage

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,490.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Joshua- might be a good idea to step back and read what the bible says.
If you look at images of Jesus painted by artists working in their home countries you will notice that Christ appears in the face that people can identifgy with. In Chinese Christian art Christ is chinese, in African Christian art Christ appears in varying shades of black according to the country.
You may find it helpful to search for Matt Stones Glocal Village blog for he has a wonderful online resource of various representations of Chriost. I do consider some of them very odd and some very disquieting but some are very good and have proved helpful to those who cry out 'Why can't white people see colour?' I have found some of the images very helpful to use in Theological Lectures provided the artist is acknowledged and cited.

Upvote 0

AlexBP

Apr 20, 2010
Virginia
✟10,340.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
It's certainly true that the majority of artistic depictions throughout European history have inaccurately depicted Jesus as a blue-eyed blonde and made similar mistakes concerning almost all Bible characters. However, I wouldn't be so quick to pin it on racism. A more ready explanation is just that painters throughout history simple painted what they were familiar with. Indeed that's common everywhere and to some extent all cultures have done biblical artwork in that way.

As for the charge that "many american churchs hate blacks", I think that's flatly untrue. There are tiny instances of white power groups here and there, but that's it.

Upvote 0

youngjoshuatree

Aug 31, 2009
✟7,674.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
all people of color will say they believe white people in power. also whites will also say they believe they are a dominating. and the white jesus has been used to takeover the world, its deffinatly history. and many churches dont like blacks its sad but remember the hillbilly preachers.

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
why do we spread images of jesus being white? i cant believe how ignorant ive been and it is deffinatly important because so many american churchs hate blacks. i am amazed as a white man at the true history of our beginning the middle east was ran by colored skinned people. history supports white origins actually even comming from the cursed son of ham canaan. confused though because seems white roots also come from japneth another of noahs son. im glad its all about jesus but christians and the worldly man has much apologies to give and needs to teach better history in schools. in reality its the worldly white man who hates god its so unreal but the world has to face the fact. look at the tv you can tell white suppremcy is supported look at commerical its allways white people and expensive consummer products while the same media portrays black people as barbaric. im glad im married to a black women and is taking a stand against racism. whites need to be rerooted and i know this because biased opinion showed by my family towards my marriage

Its not always because of racism but because of an european style concerning pictures of Jesus. There was it seemed an unbiased documentary and historically accurate program on t.v. that was compelling that Jesus had tanned skin, short hair and looked very masculine. In many paintings he has white skin, long hair and sometimes his face isn't masculine appearing.

There is racism with whites and blacks-its a both sided issue. I have a black brother-in-law and a white family member that are both a little racist - I don't agree with either here. God created all colors! There are churches out there that have a variety of colors and care about their members. We have white and black at my church. Also, I wouldn't attend a church with racism in it-because the love of God isn't there.

On t.v. it depends on the show.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In this day and age, racism is a mild (or extreme...) form of insanity. It's a disgusting and abhorrent view that needs to be wiped out of existence.

However, the depictions of Jesus as a European aren't really racism. It's a matter of making religion familiar to the culture it is in. You will find this same phenomenon in any area. Jesus, Mary, etc change race in art depending on the area of the world. It's a means of cultural acceptance. Jesus has been every race from white to black to oriental.

Upvote 0

NachoND

Jul 13, 2010
North Dakota
✟15,140.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
i have a mixed son too, im sad for the fact he will be called the n word by born again christians who are uneducated and ignorant i know this because im white and have white christians use the word

If they call your son the n word, then they are not christains.......the end!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums