Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2004
✟31,993.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
wowbagger said:
You mean like the Bible and teacher-led prayer?

hey if you're against some of it don't be hypocritical

At my Catholic school (and most schools) kids have sex ed around 6th or 7th grade- the same time thier bodies are changing. Most public schools I know are around 5th-6th grade. There should be some kind of age-appropriate sex-ed very early for kids to be able to report abuse ("bad touching"). Their parents surely won't teach that if they are the abusers!!

psychologically there's a huge difference tween second and fifth grade. calling out parents as abusers ignores the abuse done by teachers as well.

Upvote 0

xMinionX

Contributor
Dec 2, 2003
✟18,028.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'd see it as more damaging for children to not get sex ed of some kind. And, as we can see already, many parents do a pretty poor job of administering sex-ed to their kids.

Personally, I consider the school to be a 'backup' to parental sex-ed. Most school sex-ed programs don't say "Have sex, it's ok and fun and good as long as you use this condom." I know mine said "Abstinence is the only 100% way, and it is best. But in the chance that you decide to take that risk, these are the following options."

I do think that parents should be able to pull their children out if they wish. I'd think them rather foolish for doing so, but hey...

Upvote 0

Ninja Turtles

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Jan 18, 2005
✟3,971.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Fineous_Reese said:
it's possible that it might not be damaging. we should start drivers education in second grade too and allow parents to pull their kids out if they don't want them taught yet. doesn't matter they shouldn't be driving for years...
Well considering HIV is a health risk, I don't see a problem in citing sperm and vaginal secretion. In fact, the workbook isn't even sex education, it's about HIV/AIDS. Your comparison does not work at all, and the evidence of sex education isn't really there since it wasn't teaching about sex. Nonetheless, I think there needs to be some sort of teaching abotu sex, maybe not condoms and STD's, but definitely along the vein of child molestation.

Fineous_Reese said:
hey if you're against some of it don't be hypocritical
Let's not be dishonest here and say that indoctrination of religion in school is the same thing as teaching a health lesson. That's like saying teaching kids to recite math times tables is the same thing as teaching them to recite prayers.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.