United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it's critical to look at it with a sense of history,
Some of my ancestors where living in Mass. in the early 1600's. I don't know what their views were about relationships with the Indians so I cannot criticize them. But I can tell you how I feel about it.
When migrates come to another land that belongs to another people we do not have the right to steal it from them. We do not have the right to force them to live as we live or to accept our religion. The only colony that I know of that dealt fairly with the Indians was RI, founded by Roger Williams. He purchased the land from the Indians and respected their way of life. David Brainard went and lived, for several years, with the Indians to bring them the Gospel but it was done with love, not by force. I don't believe he would have condoned taking Indian children away from their parents and putting them in church boarding schools, where they were not even allowed to speak their own language with each other.
The Cherokee were a peaceful people, developed a written language, wrote a tribal Constitution, were farmers, built stick houses, and what happened. Their land was stolen from them and The Trail of Tears was their reward. :sigh:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Even though Thanksgiving is an American tradition and because of that is associated with historical baggage, I choose to look at Thanksgiving in terms of the Eucharist (the word in Greek is eucharistia which literally means thanksgiving). My family and I are celebrating the holiday by going to Mass today to give thanks to God for his blessings, especially for the Blessed Sacrament of the Altar.

That is a very wise way to look at this day LWU, I have a lot of respect for the way you and your family celebrate this holiday.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We love you! You are part of our community. Try to have a good day today! :)

Hank77, Michie, GoingByzantine, MikeK, and tadoflamb, thank you all for your respectful responses. I appreciate it very much.

Upvote 0

One Voice Among Many1

Nov 16, 2015
✟20,953.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
We love you! You are part of our community. Try to have a good day today! :)

Whew... Thank you. Quite honestly, I expected these attacks. I knew they would come when I talk about something that makes people uncomfortable and defensive. An elder once told me that this is kind of treatment is to be expected and that it is a part of being NDN. I have always believed her, because it has been proven time and time again throughout my lifetime. Some people are apparently unable to discuss difficult issues or problems rationally without resorting to insults and personal attacks.

Upvote 0

One Voice Among Many1

Nov 16, 2015
✟20,953.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
This is a picture that some of my friends, off of this site, have been sending me. It explains my perspective very well.

6.jpg

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟341,909.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yadda yadda yadda, it's all the same, man. I'm supposed to feel "compassion" (eg, guilt) and it all coincidentally falls on Thanksgiving.

Sorry, I'm not buying it.
I little respect would go a long way...

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
staff edit
I don't believe it's accurate to say that there are no current victims of US actions towards Native Americans, or that this is all ancient history and everything is now fair and good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

One Voice Among Many1

Nov 16, 2015
✟20,953.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I don't believe it's accurate to say that there are no current victims of US actions towards Native Americans, or that this is all ancient history and everything is now fair and good.

You are correct. This is not something that has only happened in the past as if it is ancient history and no longer matters. But this thread is not about arguing or debating. It is meant to be about educating and bringing awareness to the true history of this holiday and to the history of Native Americans in this country. I knew the accusations would immediately fly, but speaking out against the myths, stereotypes, and misrepresentation of my people, our culture, and our history, is important enough to me to withstand all the insults and mockery. I learned a long time to stand up for what I believe in, no matter the cost or whether or not I stand alone. It is respect and compassion that will bring healing and reconciliation. I am willing to take the steps to healing and reconciliation in my own life, not just for myself, but also for my husband and our children.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Senator John McCain recently sneaked into a 'must pass' bill legislation giving land sacred to the San Carlos Apache to a foreign multi-national mining company. While we're not unfamiliar with taking lands from native peoples, this is the first time the US has given it to a foreign company.

wpid-https3a2f2f41-media_-tumblr-com2f940d6287a444ad18d30a3aabd53890232ftumblr_nt3sfzgwl41r7aih5o1_1280.jpg

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I cannot but wonder if those who are here complaining actually read the OP or anything I have written since then.

yes, I did read it.
and once through was enough to confirm that you're still playing the guilt/sympathy card.
many others here also have hard lives but they choose to do things differently than you have.
So I've got to ask that age-old question....how's that working out for you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

One Voice Among Many1

Nov 16, 2015
✟20,953.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Senator John McCain recently sneaked into a 'must pass' bill legislation giving land sacred to the San Carlos Apache to a foreign multi-national mining company. While we're not unfamiliar with taking lands from native peoples, this is the first time the US has given it to a foreign company.

wpid-https3a2f2f41-media_-tumblr-com2f940d6287a444ad18d30a3aabd53890232ftumblr_nt3sfzgwl41r7aih5o1_1280.jpg

Yes, I know about this. It was all over the NDN groups. The video of him being chased off the Navajo rez is hilarious. I think we should talk about this more in private.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

One Voice Among Many1

Nov 16, 2015
✟20,953.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Well, pdudgeon, you are incorrect. If my memory serves me correctly, I seem to recall you mentioning to me that you had ancestors who came on the Mayflower. If that is true, then I better understand why this discussion might upset you. You are entitled to think what you like, but you are incorrect in your assessment of me and my OP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I know about this. It was all over the NDN groups. The video of him being chased off the Navajo rez is hilarious. I think we should talk about this more in private.

I'm just wondering what ma'ii means in Navajo. :)

Upvote 0

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm sorry people are giving you flak. I don't have a problem with Thanksgiving, as I don't see it as anything but a day to be thankful for blessings and share them with others. Yeah we got the Pilgrim/Indian thing in grade school... but that was a long time ago for me lol.

What makes me really angry is that I never learned about how NA (North and South Americans) were treated/exterminated until I got out of college! History in school was a joke. We were basically taught that yes, there were slaves here- but we freed them because we were such a great country! Columbus was a hero for finding this place and it was virtually uninhabited! I later read that Tenochtitlan was actually bigger than London at the time, London being in the 'civilized' world! There were Indians here, yes they were moved to reservations, and while that wasn't exactly fair, it was ok for them. No mention of the Trail of Tears at all. No mention that hot climate people were moved to freezing ones where they couldn't survive, etc. There was next to nothing mentioned of women's history either. Never knew the Chinese built most of the western American railroads either. Very little mention of the social justice movement. So sad. Needless to say, I home school lol.

I do think it's tragic how whole populations (as well as whole animal species like the passenger pigeon) were used up and exterminated. No, I don't feel guilty for it, I am not personally ashamed of it; my ancestors came here after. But I can still loathe and despise an evil act, teach my children about the truth (difficult as it can be to find sometimes), and try to live better.

Upvote 0

One Voice Among Many1

Nov 16, 2015
✟20,953.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I'm sorry people are giving you flak. I don't have a problem with Thanksgiving, as I don't see it as anything but a day to be thankful for blessings and share them with others. Yeah we got the Pilgrim/Indian thing in grade school... but that was a long time ago for me lol.

What makes me really angry is that I never learned about how NA (North and South Americans) were treated/exterminated until I got out of college! History in school was a joke. We were basically taught that yes, there were slaves here- but we freed them because we were such a great country! Columbus was a hero for finding this place and it was virtually uninhabited! I later read that Tenochtitlan was actually bigger than London at the time, London being in the 'civilized' world! There were Indians here, yes they were moved to reservations, and while that wasn't exactly fair, it was ok for them. No mention of the Trail of Tears at all. No mention that hot climate people were moved to freezing ones where they couldn't survive, etc. There was next to nothing mentioned of women's history either. Never knew the Chinese built most of the western American railroads either. Very little mention of the social justice movement. So sad. Needless to say, I home school lol.

I do think it's tragic how whole populations (as well as whole animal species like the passenger pigeon) were used up and exterminated. No, I don't feel guilty for it, I am not personally ashamed of it; my ancestors came here after. But I can still loathe and despise an evil act, teach my children about the truth (difficult as it can be to find sometimes), and try to live better.

Thank you, LaSorcia, for your respectful response. I appreciate it very much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married