Nov 16, 2015
✟20,953.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I have made many friends in the OBOB. There are a lot of people here who show me respect and kindness. And it is these people who are part of the reason why I have decided to come back to my former Christian faith. It was their kindness and their compassion shown toward me that compeled me to reconsider the Christian faith. So, I thought, in the spirit of friendship and compassion, I would share a different perspective of the American Indian on Thanksgiving. I realize what I am about to say may upset some people and cause them to become defensive. I also realize that more than likely I am opening myself up to personal attacks, insults and mockery. I do expect a certain crowd of members to behave exactly like that. However, this thread is not meant to be a personal attack against Thanksgiving or against white people. It is not about spreading hate or white guilt. It is about education and understanding a different perspective other than your own. It is about thinking outside of your comfort zone.

Take a moment to reflect and consider the perspective of the American Indian on Thanksgiving Day. Think about the Wampanoag, the Indian Nation that helped the Pilgrims survive their first winter. Think about the Native American history of this country that makes a lot of non-native Americans very uncomfortable. Take a moment to reflect. A lot of people on this site are demanding that everyone take a moment of silence for the 9/11 victims, but what about taking a moment for all the Native Americans who lost their lives in this country to atrocities and mass murder? What about them? Are they so undeserving of a moment of silence? Are they not worthy of your consideration? Take this for what it is. The truth. You can take it or you can leave it. You can get mad about it and demand that NDNs forget about their past, even though so many Americans insist on remembering events of their people's past or their nation's history (for example, 9/11, Pearl Harbor, the Civil War, and even the Holocaust of the Jews). You can say we are sore losers or even try to justify what happened by insisting that the NDNs fought against each other before the white man ever showed up. Well, if we are going to take that route, then Pearl Harbor and 9/11 were both justified because Americans fought against each other during the Civil War. I seriously doubt many Americans would consider either one of these attacks against the United States justifiable. So, please think before you speak. And if you claim to follow Jesus Christ, then remember how your own words and actions can reflect back on Him, for good or for bad. If we do not remember the history that makes us uncomfortable, then we are doomed to repeat it.

Here are two articles I wanted to share, both are from a Native American perspective.

Happy Thanksgiving: An American Indian Perspective
http://thoughtcatalog.com/terra-tre...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Hundreds of American Indians to Gather on Alcatraz Island Thursday
http://nativenewsonline.net/current...ndians-to-gather-on-alcatraz-island-thursday/

For those who do not know, this is Red Fox. If you click on my username, you will see my former handle included with my other information. I will not go into any details as to why I have a new account in this thread. Many of my friends in the OBOB already know my reasons and that is good enough for me. I will not fight about it with anyone.

Last edited:

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks OVAM. We should, on this day when we give thanks for what we've been given, remember all those who have suffered and continue to suffer. It is a good time to think about the mistakes we've made, individually and collectively, and commit to remedying them.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've listened to this my entire life. I didn't wrong the natives. My parents didn't wrong the natives. Their parents didn't wrong the natives. And probably their parents didn't wrong the natives. Nobody living today wrong the natives. I'm sick and tired of being guilt-tripped about something I had nothing to do with. No offense to OVAM but there you have it.

Upvote 0

One Voice Among Many1

Nov 16, 2015
✟20,953.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
As I said in my OP, this is not about guilt. This is about education and understanding. It is about having compassion and thinking outside of your comfort zone. And for the record, I do not blame any white person alive today for what happened to the American Indians, my ancestors, in the past. So, that false accusation can be laid to rest.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As I said in my OP, this is not about guilt. This is about education and understanding. It is about having compassion and thinking outside of your comfort zone.
Yadda yadda yadda, it's all the same, man. I'm supposed to feel "compassion" (eg, guilt) and it all coincidentally falls on Thanksgiving.

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

One Voice Among Many1

Nov 16, 2015
✟20,953.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
In order for there to be healing and reconciliation in any situation, there must first be compassion and understanding. There must also be respect and self control. There is no time for accusations or insults. And as for hatred, it is like drinking poison and wishing for your enemy to die. I speak from personal experience on this matter.

Upvote 0

One Voice Among Many1

Nov 16, 2015
✟20,953.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
As I said, you can take it or leave it. As a friend of mine often says concerning issues like this one, it is what it is.

Many blessings and peace to you, thecolorsblend. And of course, what I shared is specifically meant to be on Thanksgiving.

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thank you Red Fox, for these beautiful words. I can see how a holiday like Thanksgiving which is predicated around the "Pilgrims and the Indians", could be hurtful to you and your people. From a historical standpoint, we are in essence celebrating the beginning of the decline of your people, once Europeans arrived your whole world changed.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have made many friends in the OBOB. There are a lot of people here who show me respect and kindness. And it is these people who are part of the reason why I have decided to come back to my former Christian faith. It was their kindness and their compassion shown toward me that compeled me to reconsider the Christian faith. So, I thought, in the spirit of friendship and compassion, I would share a different perspective of the American Indian on Thanksgiving. I realize what I am about to say may upset some people and cause them to become defensive. I also realize that more than likely I am opening myself up to personal attacks, insults and mockery. I do expect a certain crowd of members to behave exactly like that. However, this thread is not meant to be a personal attack against Thanksgiving or against white people. It is not about spreading hate or white guilt. It is about education and understanding a different perspective other than your own. It is about thinking outside of your comfort zone.

Take a moment to reflect and consider the perspective of the American Indian on Thanksgiving Day. Think about the Wampanoag, the Indian Nation that helped the Pilgrims survive their first winter. Think about the Native American history of this country that makes a lot of non-native Americans very uncomfortable. Take a moment to reflect. A lot of people on this site are demanding that everyone take a moment of silence for the 9/11 victims, but what about taking a moment for all the Native Americans who lost their lives in this country to atrocities and mass murder? What about them? Are they so undeserving of a moment of silence? Are they not worthy of your consideration? Take this for what it is. The truth. You can take it or you can leave it. You can get mad about it and demand that NDNs forget about their past, even though so many Americans insist on remembering events of their people's past or their nation's history (for example, 9/11, Pearl Harbor, the Civil War, and even the Holocaust of the Jews). You can say we are sore losers or even try to justify what happened by insisting that the NDNs fought against each other before the white man ever showed up. Well, if we are going to take that route, then Pearl Harbor and 9/11 were both justified because Americans fought against each other during the Civil War. I seriously doubt many Americans would consider either one of these attacks against the United States justifiable. So, please think before you speak. And if you claim to follow Jesus Christ, then remember how your own words and actions can reflect back on Him, for good or for bad. If we do not remember the history that makes us uncomfortable, then we are doomed to repeat it.

Here are two articles I wanted to share, both are from a Native American perspective.

Happy Thanksgiving: An American Indian Perspective
http://thoughtcatalog.com/terra-tre...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Hundreds of American Indians to Gather on Alcatraz Island Thursday
http://nativenewsonline.net/current...ndians-to-gather-on-alcatraz-island-thursday/

For those who do not know, this is Red Fox. If you click on my username, you will see my former handle included with my other information. I will not go into any details as to why I have a new account in this thread. Many of my friends in the OBOB already know my reasons and that is good enough for me. I will not fight about it with anyone.

When I saw your avatar yesterday it did give me cause to step out of my own naivete and reflect on the fact that some of those among us consider this a day of mourning. I had to smile to myself wondering what you might have in store for us today given how interesting you made it when Pope Francis came to the US. Thanks for sharing, I'm glad you decided to post.

I don't think it's a bad thing to reflect on or to show contrition for the past actions of our spiritual kin. Indeed when Pope Francis was at the World Meeting of Popular Movements in Bolivia last July he said:

“I say this to you with regret: Many grave sins were committed against the native peoples of America in the name of God,” Francis said Thursday. “Like Saint John Paul II, I ask that the Church ‘kneel before God and implore forgiveness for the past and present sins of her sons and daughters.’”

http://www.cruxnow.com/church/2015/...of-native-peoples-calls-for-economic-justice/

I have to go serve mass soon. I'll offer up a prayer for you and your people.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you Red Fox, for these beautiful words. I can see how a holiday like Thanksgiving which is predicated around the "Pilgrims and the Indians", could be hurtful to you and your people.
I can understand this too.
we are in essence celebrating the beginning of the decline of your people,
My family and I are celebrating the goodness of God in sustaining our families throughout the year. That's it.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,669,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes most associate it with harvest and celebrating family and blessings. Hardly anyone looks at it through a political lense anymore or with any sense of history.

My family and I are celebrating the goodness of God in sustaining our families throughout the year. That's it.

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

That is exactly what I will be celebrating today as well. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes most associate it with harvest and celebrating family and blessings. Hardly anyone looks at it through a political lense anymore or with any sense of history.
I think it's critical to look at it with a sense of history, and at the same time, use it as an opportunity to celebrate blessing, family, friends, etc.
Sadly, we've lost Christmas...not through secularism but through a commercial spending orgy supported by religious and non religious alike, and it looks like that is spilling over into Thanksgiving.
So, my wish is people use this day to think about where this country came from, where it's going (and how you can help ), and take time to be with the people you care about.

Upvote 0

One Voice Among Many1

Nov 16, 2015
✟20,953.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I truly appreciate the opportunity to share my perspective here.

But more than that, I truly appreciate the overall respect and compassion that I am being shown here. It means so much to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I truly appreciate the opportunity to share my perspective here. But more than that, I truly appreciate the overall respect and compassion that I am being shown here. It means so much to me.

you can share, because Christ has made us free.

This is one of the only forums that allows others from differing religions to come.

this is the spirit of america.

(most of my posts were deleted per request:- new thread on thanksgiving started:)
http://www.christianforums.com/threads/history-of-thanksgiving-war-or-mission.7919940/#post-68912011)

Last edited:
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Although Thanksgiving is an American tradition and associated with historical baggage, I choose to look at Thanksgiving in terms of the Eucharist (the word in Greek is eucharistia which literally means thanksgiving). So my family and I are celebrating the holiday by going to Mass today to give thanks to God for his blessings, especially for the Blessed Sacrament of the Altar.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.