Texas GOP still opposes legalization of Sodomy.

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why would wanting to divide the country be considered treason?

You want to see an America of your making, and he wants to see ones of his. A peaceful split before breaking into civil war could be considered quite patriotic.

Keep in mind we're all patriotic to America...the America we want. If tomorrow we woke up in the USSA, I can't say I'ld be too patriotic of the nation I found myself in.

But that's exactly why the US is a pluralist society. To suggest that we ought to divide the US on lines of major (or minor) political differences (or what some call 'culture wars') into two separate monolithic communities is to betray that pluralism and the heritage that brought that pluralism into being. People like Wosley recognise that their view is increasingly becoming a minority view, and that consequently they have little hope of achieving any significant legislative victory. Instead of competing in the marketplace of ideas they want to take the easy way out and take a chunk of the country with them, all the while claiming to be the True Patriotic Americans. What pretense! If supporting the dissolution of the United States isn't treachery to one's nation then I don't know what is.

Upvote 0

BotanicalBob

Apr 13, 2010
✟15,966.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
But that's exactly why the US is a pluralist society. To suggest that we ought to divide the US on lines of major (or minor) political differences (or what some call 'culture wars') into two separate monolithic communities is to betray that pluralism and the heritage that brought that pluralism into being. People like Wosley recognise that their view is increasingly becoming a minority view, and that consequently they have little hope of achieving any significant legislative victory. Instead of competing in the marketplace of ideas they want to take the easy way out and take a chunk of the country with them, all the while claiming to be the True Patriotic Americans. What pretense! If supporting the dissolution of the United States isn't treachery to one's nation then I don't know what is.

Pretty damn well said.

But what happens when one, as an individual, can't stand to abide the rules of society that have formed around you, and without your say and without your permission and seek to impose themselves upon you?

And note that I'm talking about much more than gay rights with this line of argument.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟282,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Five or ten years from now, Americans are going to be too busy finding food and shelter to worry about the gender(s) of the couple next door.

Tragically, I'm afraid you're right. 2015 or 2015---that's when it's all going to hit the fan.

I'm thinking they'll lock you in a church with a buncha gays and have an "intervention".

My advice, don't skimp on the KY.

So gang rape is the chosen pro-gay method of changing hearts and minds? I see.

Although I might even be willing to take them up on the offer, provided I have my .40 caliber with multiple fully-loaded magazines.

If you don't want you kid seeing that, I'ld suggest a tv with a v-chip.

As I already said, I don't have TV.

Why would wanting to divide the country be considered treason?

You want to see an America of your making, and he wants to see ones of his. A peaceful split before breaking into civil war could be considered quite patriotic.

Keep in mind we're all patriotic to America...the America we want. If tomorrow we woke up in the USSA, I can't say I'ld be too patriotic of the nation I found myself in.

Well said.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Pretty damn well said.

But what happens when one, as an individual, can't stand to abide the rules of society that have formed around you, and without your say and without your permission and seek to impose themselves upon you?

And note that I'm talking about much more than gay rights with this line of argument.

Well, then one must ask, what exactly is being imposed on you that is so intolerable that you would destroy a Republic just to get rid of it. Currently the political costs (destroying a nation) far outweigh the benefits, wouldn't you think so?

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
It happened in Canada. It happened in Sweden.

Sorry, but no. Please provide evidence of a pastor in Sweden or Canada (or any other country where same sex marriages are legal) being jailed for not officiating a same-sex marriage. The fact is, no pastors have been jailed for refusing to marry same sex couples in a church.

And that was just for pastors speaking out against homosexuality.

Again, false. For example, the cases in Canada have to do with a couple of individuals being in violation of a law that was "likely to expose homosexuals to hatred or contempt because of their sexual orientation". In the two cases I'm aware of in Canada they were not preaching against sexual acts but were disparaging homosexuals -- which while protected by the Constitution in the US is against laws to do against protected groups (not just homosexuals) in Canada. Further, no one was jailed but there were merely fines.

What makes you so sure it wouldn't happen here?

Because it is Constitutionally protected in the United States.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟930,890.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Tragically, I'm afraid you're right. 2015 or 2015---that's when it's all going to hit the fan.

So gang rape is the chosen pro-gay method of changing hearts and minds? I see.

Although I might even be willing to take them up on the offer, provided I have my .40 caliber with multiple fully-loaded magazines.

Well said.

Are you truly so desperate to kill your fellow human beings?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟930,890.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Are you truly so desperate to let them rape me?

No, I'm not. I do not think anyone should be raped and I think the threat was made in jest (though admittedly a poor joke). You where the one volunteering for the honor as long as you got the chance to kill them. In every other post on this thread you are either threatening to shoot someone or having violent fantasies about people coming to kill you. You might want to talk to someone about that. Take care. :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
No, I'm not. I do not think anyone should be raped and I think the threat was made in jest (though admittedly a poor joke). You where the one volunteering for the honor as long as you got the chance to kill them. In every other post on this thread you are either threatening to shoot someone or having violent fantasies about people coming to kill you. You might want to talk to someone about that. Take care. :wave:

Typical vain fantasy/martyr complex of the right -- they want us to think they're threatened because they're dangerous.

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

well if there are enough people like you with that attitude it will become a self fulfilling prophecy. It won't hit the fan; the entirety of the right winged gun toting blue collar class will hit the fan, and I have to deal with it. Thanks!

is this how you talk to people at charity events and fund raisers?

your posts do reflect someone who is isolated from the world.

Upvote 0

BotanicalBob

Apr 13, 2010
✟15,966.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Well, then one must ask, what exactly is being imposed on you that is so intolerable that you would destroy a Republic just to get rid of it. Currently the political costs (destroying a nation) far outweigh the benefits, wouldn't you think so?

Currently, nothing. But that could all change if the wrong person got into power.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟282,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Belk said:
In every other post on this thread you are either threatening to shoot someone or having violent fantasies about people coming to kill you. You might want to talk to someone about that.

LT. COL. CODMAN: "You know, General, sometimes the men don't know when you're acting."

GEN. PATTON: "It's not important for them to know. It's only important for me to know."

mpok1519 said:
your posts do reflect someone who is isolated from the world.

As long as it's your "up and coming" liberal/progressive pipe-dream utopia world that I'm isolated from, that's just fine. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
^and by liberlal pipe dream utopia you mean reality. You don't want to be isolated from reality dude. Seeing how you'd rather live in a dystopia...

...of his own creation, no less. Is there anything more spiteful than to prefer one's own hell to another's reality?

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟282,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
^and by liberlal pipe dream utopia you mean reality. You don't want to be isolated from reality dude. Seeing how you'd rather live in a dystopia...

The United States as it was about 1960 is a dystopia???

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟282,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nathan Poe said:
What was so great about it?

Well, *I* born, for one thing....;)

Ah...1960. Schools closing rather than letting the dirty blacks in. The Greensboro sit ins. The continuous threat of Soviet nuclear annihilation....

1960 was grand!

It wasn't perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd take it over today, I do believe.

I'd go to Washington, dig up an obscure Senator from Massachusetts, and tell him, "Look, Mr. Kennedy---I'm from the future. Here's my drivers' license and the money in my wallet---see the dates? You're going to win the election in November, and there are three things you must not do: you must not get involved in trying to invade the Bay of Pigs; you must not get involved in any kind of military adventure in a small country in Southeast Asia in ANY way, shape, form, manner, or conception; and you must not, under any circumstances, go to Dallas in an open-topped motorcade.

I betcha that'd change the future for the better.....if nothing else, it would save both his life and the lives of 53,000 Americans.

And just in case anybody's interested, yes, I admire Kennedy. And Truman, too. That was back before the Democrat Party went over to the Dark Side of the Force.

Upvote 0