Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The threat of terrorists attacks in the EU remains the top national security concern among member states, with some 211 foiled plots last year alone, according to a top EU security official.

The threat of another attack similar in scale to the Paris attack in November last year or in Brussels this past March has national authorities on edge.

Manuel Navarrete Paniagua, the head of the European Counter Terrorism Centre at the EU police agency Europol, told euro-deputies on Monday (23 May) that terrorist cells in the EU were likely stockpiling explosives for later use.

"We have some information reported by the member states that terrorists groups are trying to establish large clandestine stockpiles of explosives in the European Union to be used eventually in large scale home attacks," he said.

https://euobserver.com/justice/1335...d&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=refugeenews

Only a matter of time.

Reactions: Uncle Siggy

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I bet there are far fewer terrorist stockpiles of explosives in the EU now than there were 30-40 years ago.

That's not to say this isn't something to constantly work to eradicate, but we need to keep things in perspective. We do not need to give up our liberties for a threat that exists on such a relatively small scale. And we don't need to persecute everyone with brown skin because of it either.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I bet there are far fewer terrorist stockpiles of explosives in the EU now than there were 30-40 years ago.

That's not to say this isn't something to constantly work to eradicate, but we need to keep things in perspective. We do not need to give up our liberties for a threat that exists on such a relatively small scale. And we don't need to persecute everyone with brown skin because of it either.

Brown skin?

Upvote 0

Oafman

Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Brown skin?
I spent the weekend with my previously tolerant mother, who it appears has recently become a rabid Islamaphobe, due to the 'constant terror attacks'. So I'm on a bit of a downer about this.

FYI, she was unable to explain why she didn't develop a similar hatred for all Irish people during the 70s.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I spent the weekend with my previously tolerant mother, who it appears has recently become a rabid Islamaphobe, due to the 'constant terror attacks'. So I'm on a bit of a downer about this.

FYI, she was unable to explain why she didn't develop a similar hatred for all Irish people during the 70s.

There will be more terror attacks, count on it.

Upvote 0

Oafman

Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Amazing. The first response, in almost a knee-jerk/defensive reaction, is an attempt to minimize the threat. Wow.
I'm sick of the loss of perspective, which justifies the reduction of our liberties, encourages a climate of fear and leads to prejudice. You should be too.

terrorism-western-europe.png

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's not about liberty or about fear. It's about vigilance and prevention. It's about government preparedness, resources, intelligence, inter-agency communication and coordination. If none of that was in play, if people remained in complete and utter denial about the threats, if government agencies kept their heads buried in the sand, there wouldn't be 211 foiled plots last year alone, and your fancy little chart would be carpet bombed with many more deaths. There are two extremes in the approach to all this - 1) The sky is falling. 2) Nothing to see here. Neither are appropriate or helpful. How about we arrive at a reasoned balance.

Upvote 0

Oafman

Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
It's not about liberty or about fear. It's about vigilance and prevention. It's about government preparedness, resources, intelligence, inter-agency communication and coordination. If none of that was in play, if people remained in complete and utter denial about the threats, if government agencies kept their heads buried in the sand, there wouldn't be 211 foiled plots last year alone, and your fancy little chart would be carpet bombed with many more deaths. There are two extremes in the approach to all this - 1) The sky is falling. 2) Nothing to see here. Neither are appropriate or helpful. How about we arrive at a reasoned balance.
Oi! It's me that's advocating the reasoned balanced response!

Like I said in post #2, "That's not to say this isn't something to constantly work to eradicate". But what troubles me is the extent of hyperbolic media coverage of this topic, and the public opinion which lacks the slightest perspective. Such as the face palm-worthy results of this survey: Americans Name Terrorism as No. 1 U.S. Problem :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Oi! It's me that's advocating the reasoned balanced response!

Like I said in post #2, "That's not to say this isn't something to constantly work to eradicate". But what troubles me is the extent of hyperbolic media coverage of this topic, and the public opinion which lacks the slightest perspective. Such as the face palm-worthy results of this survey: Americans Name Terrorism as No. 1 U.S. Problem :doh:

Up til November 2015, only 2-3% of Americans named terrorism as the number one US problem. Mid December 2015, that number jumped to 16%. What happened in that time period? Also, if Gallop was to take a snapshot today, where do you think that number would be?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Terrorist organizations aren't run by stupid people. They read the times and know who they are dealing with. They know vast swaths of western Europe are filled with people who's greatest fear is to be called "bigots" or "Islamophobes". There's no need to go all out in a "total war" of terrorism when the population is soft enough to capitulate.

Upvote 0