act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly
Dec 14, 2003
Portland, OR
✟9,712.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have one tattoo, a cross on my chest, and my wife has three, one on each shoulder blade and one on her calf. We are considering ordering a tattoo gun soon so that she can do the two more that i want on my arms.

my opinion is that the bible says not to judge people and that should apply to everyone about everything, including tattoos. I don't put people down for not having one or not wanting one and i don't expect anyone to put me (or anyone else) down for having one. it's a personal choice not a spiritual one. We will have new bodies in heaven anyway.

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
ShilohCity said:
my opinion is that the bible says not to judge people and that should apply to everyone about everything, including tattoos. I don't put people down for not having one or not wanting one and i don't expect anyone to put me (or anyone else) down for having one. it's a personal choice not a spiritual one. We will have new bodies in heaven anyway.

The judging which The Bible forbids for us to make is unmerciful and / or unrighteous judgment done by us who are " no better " upon others themselves .

Judge not, that ye be not judged.
For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
<-----> Matthew 7:1-5

Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment. <-----> John 7:24

Keeping this in mind , we should indeed judge what is right from wrong , or what is good from bad , or what is Christ-like from what is not Christ-like ,( as we are enabled to do so ) , for this is essential for confirming and being confident in the following of the Lord's leading in our life .

For example : if I was a member of a Church , and my example / behavior was causing trouble , what I was doing should indeed be judged , even as when someone is doing good , their behavior should be judged , so we know how to respond appropriately .

But the judgment we should not try to even think we can make - is to write someone off , as though there is no hope for them , or to even conclude that someone is certainly going to remain faithful unto the end , because they presently appear to be doing " real well ".

If someone is causing trouble , they need to be warned , and if they receive the warning well , then the matter can be resolved ; but if they refuse to listen and take heed , then they are to be separated from those endangered by their ways , yet , if they return with the fruit of true repentance , then they can , and should be received again .

If you say to me it's wrong for me to lie out of ungodly fear , or steal out of unholy covetousness , you are applying judgment ; and as long as you do it non-hypocritically and in a non-condemning manner towards the person in question , you have rightly judged . Likewise , if you do something which is honest and thoughtful , and I affirm that you have done well in this matter , I have rightly judged . Judgment is neither wrong , nor bad . Wrong judgment is wrong , and bad judgment is bad .

I speak as to wise men; judge ye what I say. <-----> 1st Corinthians 10:15

Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. <-----> 1st Corinthians 14:29

...He that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. <-----> 1st Corinthians 2:15

For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. <-----> 1st Corinthians 11:31

And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment . <-----> Philippians 1:9

May The Lord Be Pleased to Bless and Confirm The Truth of His Word . In Jesus Name . Amen .

Sincerely ,

wm

Upvote 0

linssue55

Senior Veteran
Jul 31, 2005
Tucson Az
✟11,739.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I just want some opinions. What do you all think about tatoos. Do you think that God would not agree or that it doesnt matter? I am just curious as to what other christians think about them.

"'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

Upvote 0

linssue55

Senior Veteran
Jul 31, 2005
Tucson Az
✟11,739.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I just want some opinions. What do you all think about tatoos. Do you think that God would not agree or that it doesnt matter? I am just curious as to what other christians think about them.

"'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The previous verse says about not cutting the corners of one's beard. Do preachers shave? Maybe the context is Old Testament Jews in the land under the law? For New Testament believers exercising Christian liberty under grace, many Christians find faith based tattoo designs (Christian fish sign <><, or Bible verse or ref. on a wrist, etc.) to be effective conversation starters in witness.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Since you have already gotten "inked"-- and are finding out
how others feel about tattoos...it's going to be a mixed bag
when it comes to how others feel about tattoos.

I don't have any tats... I use to like tattoos that aren't "permanent" --
I could change up as often as I wanted.
They usually lasted a couple of weeks... nowadays they have
those that last longer.

I know many Christians who have permanent tattoos, some of them are members
of my own family... I wasn't pleased when I saw that my nephews had
gotten those wrap-around type tats...it's starts at their face, tilts down to
their necks and shoulders(or something like that)... the tats are as they
say: "faith-based".
They are young but I wonder how they will like them when they are much
older and the tats have been altered by body changes?

I've been around tattooed people since I was a little girl growing up in the 1970's.
Granted, none of those people were Christians and at that time believers didn't
get "inked" since they didn't want to look like "the world".
It's ironic that now, Christian (with tats) say their tats are witnessing tools?
So, I ask them, how many people (that noticed your tattoo) have come to know
the Lord as their own personal Savior?
Their silence lingers on.
That's my current experience with Christians who have faith-based tattoos.

witnessing tools?
It starts with learning the Word of God/ being discipled...so you can be a
good witness...then you go and Live out the faith/uphold God's Word in your life--
show agape/love to others, share the Good News of the Gospel, forgive those
who offend you, take care of the "least of these", visit the sick/shut-ins,
comfort/encourage people, visit those who are in prison etc...all that
makes for fine "witnessing tools".

John 13:34-35
"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as
I have loved you, that you also love one another.
"By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since you have already gotten "inked"-- and are finding out
how others feel about tattoos...it's going to be a mixed bag
when it comes to how others feel about tattoos.

I don't have any tats... I use to like tattoos that aren't "permanent" --
I could change up as often as I wanted.
They usually lasted a couple of weeks... nowadays they have
those that last longer.

I know many Christians who have permanent tattoos, some of them are members
of my own family... I wasn't pleased when I saw that my nephews had
gotten those wrap-around type tats...it's starts at their face, tilts down to
their necks and shoulders(or something like that)... the tats are as they
say: "faith-based".
They are young but I wonder how they will like them when they are much
older and the tats have been altered by body changes?

I've been around tattooed people since I was a little girl growing up in the 1970's.
Granted, none of those people were Christians and at that time believers didn't
get "inked" since they didn't want to look like "the world".
It's ironic that now, Christian (with tats) say their tats are witnessing tools?
So, I ask them, how many people (that noticed your tattoo) have come to know
the Lord as their own personal Savior?
Their silence lingers on.
That's my current experience with Christians who have faith-based tattoos.

witnessing tools?
It starts with learning the Word of God/ being discipled...so you can be a
good witness...then you go and Live out the faith/uphold God's Word in your life--
show agape/love to others, share the Good News of the Gospel, forgive those
who offend you, take care of the "least of these", visit the sick/shut-ins,
comfort/encourage people, visit those who are in prison etc...all that
makes for fine "witnessing tools".

John 13:34-35
"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as
I have loved you, that you also love one another.
"By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."
Hi BFine, My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 inked on her wrist area; it was her favorite verse and mine also. I'm sure other conversations have also arisen as a result of her careful decision to receive injections of ink in this well known Biblical design, which presumably would be the whole point of submitting oneself to the needle.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
wow this thread is like from 10 years ago.
You'd think the craze would have died down by now.
I see ppl with tatts everywhere in my hometown, mostly rough ppl. None of them use them as witness for Jesus.
Those that are saved and still have tatts really regret having them.

and those christians that have them..never seen them use them for witness. often they are young ppl that just want to brag about their tattoos, and their 'bravery' in getting them, not actually the gospel.

i agree with BFIne. Christians are known by their love, not by what they have on their skin.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
wow this thread is like from 10 years ago.
You'd think the craze would have died down by now.
I see ppl with tatts everywhere in my hometown, mostly rough ppl. None of them use them as witness for Jesus.
Those that are saved and still have tatts really regret having them.

and those christians that have them..never seen them use them for witness. often they are young ppl that just want to brag about their tattoos, and their 'bravery' in getting them, not actually the gospel.

i agree with BFIne. Christians are known by their love, not by what they have on their skin.
Goodbook: Well, my wife and I talked to a young lady with John 3.16 inked on her wrist area; it was her favorite verse and mine also; and I'm sure her decision to get tattooed in this way has led to other conversations also. She was actually quite a shy and modest young lady; not the 'bragging' type at all. Blessings.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think tattoos are often over done like a lot of things. If you are trying to draw attention to yourself in a vain way, then I think it's bad. I think Christians should aim for humbleness and not just when it comes to our body. I think our lifestyles have far more 'things' and 'distractions' that can easily make us lose focus on what and who is important.

I guess I put tattoos in with piercings. I have pierced ears, so I can't pretend to be on some sort of soap box. As I said, I think less is better. I don't really like the look of rows of rings on people's fingers or up their ears--I don't know why? Just looks like they are a human hanger. Same with tattoos--if you look like a graffiti wall--I do think it's sending a vain look at me signal. JMHO!
You're right; I don't see how it's too different from having pierced ears. I guess having a tattoo is a bit like getting double pierced ears 35 years ago; maybe it was a bit edgy at first but now so many ppl have them that it can be rather mainstream. The potential for expressing faith based testimony is also being realized by a lot of Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hmm I've never really seen people use earrings as a witness tool for Jesus either.
I mean goths wear crucifixes but because they into death and such not that they are Christians.

BTW my ears aren't pierced. They used to be but they got infected and closed up and I couldn't be bothered with them. A friend wanted me to have them done, I didn't particularly want to. I don't like wearing jewellery anyway. It hurt and they didn't even use anaesthetic. Not doing that again. Oh also it was in Australia.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
*Not really, they don't live in Canada at this time... they went to Australia and ended up
finding girls to marry and are busy with their new lives.
Well, don't be surprised if the Australians they married, if not tattooed already, have gotten them too, by now... :)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hmm I've never really seen people use earrings as a witness tool for Jesus either.
I mean goths wear crucifixes but because they into death and such not that they are Christians.

BTW my ears aren't pierced. They used to be but they got infected and closed up and I couldn't be bothered with them. A friend wanted me to have them done, I didn't particularly want to. I don't like wearing jewellery anyway. It hurt and they didn't even use anaesthetic. Not doing that again. Oh also it was in Australia.
mj5art2oe0iWtoFpZ1XjRnA.jpg
ebay dot co dot uk

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Well, don't be surprised if the Australians they married, if not tattooed already, have gotten them too, by now... :)

*It wouldn't matter because I love(agape) the person, I don't have to agree or like their permanent tats...
just like relatives
who don't like or agree with me for not having my hair chemically relaxed,
they still love(agape) me.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.