Nevaeh's Mommy
Dec 28, 2004
Halifax
✟8,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
well i have a tat and i dont regret it anyway. its nothing horritble its cute and in memory of my bestfriend of 14 yrs Stephanie Brenda Altt who died 2 yrs ago.. its on the small of my back.. and it has her initials and a symbole of chinese of Heaven above it .. see

Attachments

• Picture 13.jpg
    Picture 13.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 0

forgivenmuch

christ is the answer
Aug 21, 2004
✟8,874.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
that is ones choice to do it or not, i personally would not do it. i would have to think, what would jesus do? however i am not going to judge anyone. i have seen on tv and in person people who wish they never had got them, and they have to be removed by a doctor.

Upvote 0

deu58

Senior Veteran
Dec 12, 2003
Philippines
Visit site
✟11,169.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi tommyngina

tommyngina said:
I have a tattoo from my younger days but I don't regret it. It reminds me of who I was and how far I have come since then in my relationship with Christ. I think it can be a beautiful thing when respectful to Christ and his teachings.

I got involved in a tatoo thread awhile back and boy did it get messy, Hope that does not happen here, I have 5 tattoo's from the bad days

none of them vulgar but I do have a marijuna leaf on the right side of my chest,

I would never counsel or encourage any one and most definitly not a believer to get a tatoo,

For me it because we are the image and temple of God, I made a mistake back in those days, The wife and I have discussed getting them removed,

But on the other hand they have contributed to my witness and testimony when I explain to people the type of person I used to be, For a Christian I think they need to ask what somebody else here aleady said,

What would Jesus do??? I think the answer is obvious,

yours in Christ
deu 58

Upvote 0

alabaster jar

Vessel of Faith, Hope, and Love
Mar 15, 2005
upstairs
✟19,593.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think tattoos are often over done like a lot of things. If you are trying to draw attention to yourself in a vain way, then I think it's bad. I think Christians should aim for humbleness and not just when it comes to our body. I think our lifestyles have far more 'things' and 'distractions' that can easily make us lose focus on what and who is important.

I guess I put tattoos in with piercings. I have pierced ears, so I can't pretend to be on some sort of soap box. As I said, I think less is better. I don't really like the look of rows of rings on people's fingers or up their ears--I don't know why? Just looks like they are a human hanger. Same with tattoos--if you look like a graffiti wall--I do think it's sending a vain look at me signal. JMHO!

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Acts 15:28-29 tells me its legal unless you are Jewish. Tatoos did not make the forbidden list. As long as the tatoo is honoring to God, rather than making you look like a hypocrite, fine.

I have no tatoos, I don't need them. Why would you want a tatoo? You need to put a lot of thought into why. It really seems like tatoos are a fad, and getting one for that reason has to be one of the worst reasons for getting one.

Upvote 0

fishstix

Senior Veteran
Jan 18, 2004
✟19,629.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Liz4Jesus said:
I just want some opinions. What do you all think about tatoos. Do you think that God would not agree or that it doesnt matter? I am just curious as to what other christians think about them.

I don't think that a tattoo in and of itself is right or wrong, and that is something that each person must determine for themselves (and for their minor children). However, it can be a problem depending on a number of circumstances including but not limited to:

Does getting it involve disobeying parents/guardians/pastor?
What is the purpose of it? What does it represent to you?
What is the tattoo of? Something evil? Something good?
Do you have any major doubts about whether or not it is a sin?
Is it going to encourage someone else to get a tattoo for the wrong reasons or of something evil?

Upvote 0

Liz4Jesus

Jun 20, 2005
✟7,703.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, so i want to say think you to everyone who has replied so far. I recently got a tatoo and some people have judged me because of it. It is a Jesus fish and it says Jesus in greek. I feel that I can use it as a witnessing tool b/c people look at it and say what does that mean and then I get to tell them about Jesus. I am in no way shape or form trying to bring attention to myself. I was just curious as to what other people thought.

Liz

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Liz4Jesus said:
Ok, so i want to say think you to everyone who has replied so far. I recently got a tatoo and some people have judged me because of it. It is a Jesus fish and it says Jesus in greek. I feel that I can use it as a witnessing tool b/c people look at it and say what does that mean and then I get to tell them about Jesus. I am in no way shape or form trying to bring attention to myself. I was just curious as to what other people thought.

Liz

I don't want to sound like I'm judging you but a better witnessing tool would be your life ;) . The outside things don't matter as much. :p

Upvote 0

ghs1994

Jul 1, 2005
Ohio
✟16,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have three and regret everyone. I don't see God's purpose in them, but then again, I'm not God. I only know His commandments and what He has done. I know the Holy Spirit has convicted me of them, but again, the same Spirit works differently in everyone. We just have to be able to discern that spirit being of God or not by His Word.

Upvote 0
I

InTheFlame

I like beautiful things. I find many tattoos to be beautiful... and a piece of art that the owner can take wherever they go, no fear of losing it. A christian 'fish' symbol is (imo) much the same whether it's on a bumper sticker on your car, or on your skin. I'd be tempted to say it's more significant as a tattoo, actually... since your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, and that symbol marks it as such! Certainly it's no substitute for a witness through godly living... but it can help point people to the reason for your living the way you do.

I've never seen what I consider a truly biblical, logical argument against tattooing. There's a verse in Leviticus which prohibits 'cutting your flesh for the dead' (referring to a pagan practice which has very little to do with modern tattooing), but a verse very soon after that prohibits the wearing of polycotton shirts :) Many argue that our bodies are a temple of the Holy Spirit... this is true, but even the great temple at Jerusalem was decorated.

My point? I think tattoos fall under the same category as everything else that is not necessary for survival, and MIGHT be a distraction or hindrance in our spiritual walk. This category includes chocolate cake, alcohol, coffee, new clothes, televisions, computers, meat, jewellery, hair dye, house furnishings, art, literature (in particular, novels)... etc.

Upvote 0

YoursTruely45

Jun 22, 2005
Florida
✟15,260.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Politics
US-Republican
Liz4Jesus said:

Liz

I use mine in the sameway. I get alot of what do you think of tattooes and would you show Christ? Of course I would and I am proud to say that just because I am a Christian I have a tattoo. My tattooes are a symbol of me and who I am and what I am about. Its not to please anyone but myself. I love both tattoes. They are two butterflies. I am happy to tell teenagers that I have tattos and I am proud to say that I am a Christian as well! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
I

InTheFlame

twistedsketch said:
Just curious, how do you use the butterfly as a witnessing tool? I thought it meant "free spirit" - and in the context of our decadent culture, I have some assumptions of what that means.

Hmm... I guess 'free spirit' has some christian connotations, in the sense of 'spiritually free'... but the butterfly has long been used as a symbol of rebirth after death, too...

Upvote 0

LiberatedChick

Contributor
Jun 28, 2004
UK
✟21,289.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have a butterfly tattoo. Whilst I did get it before I came back to Christ I never thought of it as meaning "free spirit". For me it's linked to the anxiety I suffer from...basically a reminder to keep pushing past the "butterflies in tummy" feeling that I hate. So just because something has a commonly used meaning doesn't necessarily mean it has that meaning for everyone. :)

Upvote 0

Pyrogenesis

Weapons Grade
Feb 7, 2005
Snells Beach
✟1,484.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I got a tattoo of a 'Jesus Fish' with a cross inside it done on my shoulder on my 21st birthday. It's quite small, about the size of your thumb, and it's just a plain black-line symbol. I got it as the mark of a bond-servant on the day that people regard as the passage into adulthood, to show that I belong to Him. I may get one more; three nails inside a crown of thorns to dedicate myself to the 'fellowship of sufferings', showing that I will follow Christ even unto pain and death.

Weather it's right for you is an issue that you need to sort out with God. Our bodies are a temple of the Holy Spirit, and we should treat them with respect.

Upvote 0

Hallal

Jul 10, 2005
Florida
✟129.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think God would mind if we have tatoos. As long as you try not to get the ones that have wrong meaning to them. My youth pastor has tatoos all over both of his upper arms. They are all things from the Bible though, like Noah's Ark, Jesus, Bibel verses, etc. He said that they help him go out and witness to people. They grab attention to ones that aren't believers. Better opportunity to get people saved.
My church pastor also has tatoos on him as well. (Christian ones)

Upvote 0

IamSam52

Jul 12, 2005
✟15,701.00
Faith
Christian
I don't think tatoos are a spiritual matter at all. It is the motivation behind the tatoo that is really the issue.

I think that if you are considering getting one you ought to know a couple of things. The color fades and eventually you will hate that and get it recolored or just resent the thing. The second thing is that for a lot of people they are finding the tattoo is hindering their career and having them removed. It costs a lot more to get rid of one than it did to get it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.