St. Louis, MO.
✟377,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The far, far more serious and important immigration problem is what to do with the millions of undocumented immigrants who are already here. And in many cases, have lived here for years, have been working, paying taxes, and except for their immigration status, are otherwise law-abiding residents. Compared to this issue, conflict over a wall is like arguing about what song the Titanic’s orchestra should play.

Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟164,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well it they Democrats were not busy with their own infighting over the budget and the so called "Infrastructure" bill I'm sure this would renew calls to pack the court.
How so? According to this article:
Supreme Court remands border wall challenge following 'changed circumstances' under Biden

The high court vacated the earlier rulings “in light of the changed circumstances in this case,” siding with a Biden administration request that noted that the president on his inauguration day signed an order prohibiting border wall construction.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟374,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Is there some way I've offended you? Why
choose to think the worst of me when in
truth you've no idea why I posted that?
I'm sorry. I wasn't saying YOU were absurd. I'm saying that comparison of a wall between a city state and a country seems utterly illogical to compare to a 3000km border.
...sledge hammers, blow torches...

Great video!

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟154,419.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm sorry. I wasn't saying YOU were absurd. I'm saying that comparison of a wall between a city state and a country seems utterly illogical to compare to a 3000km border.

Great video!
I wasn't comparing.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,205,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Your point being?
The point being that the Gulf to the Pacific boarder wall boondoggle was the most expensive and least effective method of preventing illegal immigration.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟799,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Could be symbolic.
Reminds me of working on a prison farm, where we put locks on certain doors, the boss said, "to keep them honest."

Obviously they could break in with easily accessible hunks of metal or tools, but that was the point —they would have to break in. It would be an obvious decision, not a mistake or misunderstanding, if they did so.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟374,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Think whatever suits you
Well no. I would like you to share why you posted that picture as you got defensive when I suggested that comparison is unreasonable.

I don't expect you to answer I would just see it as the honest thing to do.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟154,419.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
The point being that the Gulf to the Pacific boarder wall boondoggle was the most expensive and least effective method of preventing illegal immigration.
That may be so.
Seems easier to keep people out than look for them after they vanish, though.
Walls certainly work, and are used in some contexts.
The blanket statement that "walls dont work" that I've seen
stated by others is obviously untrue,

When one place is richer and safer than others, naturally
a lot (a lot more than can be accomodated) will want in.
It's a terrible ethical / humanitarian issue.

The USA has done such disservice to countries like Mexico,
"the banana republics", Panama and many others that there's a
justice in those made poor and their countries chaotic and violent
heading for the USA now...maybe getting some of their own back.

A more Christian nation might have regarded better what they
were sowing.

That's not my problem, we've enough illegal residents here
or trying to get in.

Hope the USA figures something out.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟150,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The Supreme court orders the lower court to vacate it's ruling.

Snip : "“The Biden administration had argued that the Supreme Court did not need to weigh in on the border wall funding case because the project was closed down by the new administration,” Newsweek noted."

The court did not buy the silly argument made by Biden...

Supreme Court rules in favor of Donald Trump's plan to use $3.6 billion for border wall

SCOTUS told the Ninth Circuit to revisit the case in light of the Biden Administration’s nixing of the “emergency” that was the basis for the Trump Administration’s ability to divert funds from the Military budget.

Without the “emergency,” the funding-mechanism was rendered moot. The order just serves to reflect the present reality.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,119,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Snip : "“The Biden administration had argued that the Supreme Court did not need to weigh in on the border wall funding case because the project was closed down by the new administration,” Newsweek noted."

Supreme Court rules in fa

[URL='https://www.newsweek.com/supreme-court-rules-favor-donald-trumps-plan-use-36-billion-border-wall-1635337']Supreme Court rules in favor of Donald Trump's plan to use $3.6 billion for border wall

vor of Donald Trump's plan to use $3.6 billion for border wall[/URL]
This case doesn't stand alone in the whole scheme of things. This article from The Hill doesn't have a pay-wall and goes into a little more details and explanation.

The Supreme Court has directed lower courts to reconsider earlier rulings freezing funding for building former President Trump's border wall in light of President Biden’s efforts to block its construction.
The Supreme Court in February agreed to a Biden administration request to cancel upcoming arguments on a related case challenging the diversion of another $2.5 billion pot of military funds used for the wall.

"The President has directed the Executive Branch to undertake an assessment of 'the legality of the funding and contracting methods used to construct the wall,'" the administration wrote in its plea to the court.

"It would therefore be appropriate for the court to hold further proceedings in this case in abeyance to allow for the completion of the process that the president has directed," it added.
Supreme Court remands border wall challenge following 'changed circumstances' under Biden

• Informative
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟341,866.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Strawman much?

Dems' claims about its cost or efficacy, while probably being more-or-less correct, are little more than thin obfuscations for the fact that they don't like the optics of the wall and the anti-immigrant message it sends. OTOH, Trump's fixation on the wall was built on the same foundation - it had nothing to do with the efficacy of the wall, and everything to do with the optics. He wanted to send a message that immigrants weren't welcome. Based on the rate of migrants trying to cross the border, his messaging seems to have been effective.

That said, the comparison between a border wall and a security perimeter around a single building is asinine. Nobody has argued "walls of any sort never work in any context." That would be stupid. Obviously walls work in some places.

And they would work on the border.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟341,866.00
Faith
Pentecostal
The far, far more serious and important immigration problem is what to do with the millions of undocumented immigrants who are already here. And in many cases, have lived here for years, have been working, paying taxes, and except for their immigration status, are otherwise law-abiding residents. Compared to this issue, conflict over a wall is like arguing about what song the Titanic’s orchestra should play.

Ah the ole, they've broken the law and got away with it. Therefore they should be allowed to continue to do so. It's the good ole, it's not really breaking the law until you get caught ideal.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟374,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Ah the ole, they've broken the law and got away with it. Therefore they should be allowed to continue to do so. It's the good ole, it's not really breaking the law until you get caught ideal.
Outside of breaking the law has their existence negatively impacted your life?

Upvote 0