Wales
✟112,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Lots of people get depressed, done feel suicidal and some even act on those feelings.

Do you find that since beginning a Christian that your depression has gone away? Have you had suicidal feelings? Can a saved Christian still feel suicidal and even kill themselves.

• Prayers
Reactions: newlightseven

mindfulzen

Aug 4, 2021
south
✟6,349.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Lots of people get depressed, done feel suicidal and some even act on those feelings.

Do you find that since beginning a Christian that your depression has gone away? Have you had suicidal feelings? Can a saved Christian still feel suicidal and even kill themselves.
My depression went away after becoming christian, not possible to have suicidal thoughts for me at least. Suicide is not an option, not allowed. No suicidal feelings, even though 99 out of 100 people would not have endured my life and would have jumped off a cliff if they lived it. I think we need the distinction between finding faith and wantingg to believe. And going all in, and being touched by the holy spirit.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

A Christian, or anyone, who's perspective has not changed can, but as to whether or not they were really ever truly saved or not, I cannot and would not be able to tell, and do not know, but only God does, and can only fully say/tell only, etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Sometimes in intercession, I experience the pain of others, one time I experienced my wrist swelling up like it had been cut, so I took it as an opportunity to pray for whoever that was.

Also, Christians get saved spiritually, but emotionally can become more of a mess than prior to salvation, just the way it works.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Suicide never made sense to me, but then, I've been a Christian longer than I can remember, so....

I've known others, who I am pretty sure are saved, that were suicidal, some from their upbringing having mental issues, others being overwhelmed with grief or life's events combined with mental issues. More than one of those I did not argue with concerning their fear that suicide would put them in hell, but I am one who does not think suicide (in and of itself) puts anyone in hell.

Upvote 0

LightBearer

Veteran
Aug 9, 2002
Visit site
✟19,072.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
From an article:

I Want to Die—Can the Bible Help Me When I Have Suicidal Thoughts?

Full Article Here:

Does the Bible tell us about people who wanted to die?

Yes. The Bible tells us about some who said, in effect, “I want to die.” God did not rebuke them, but offered them help. He can do the same for you.

Elijah
  • Who was he? Elijah was a brave prophet. But he was not immune to discouragement. “Elijah was a man with feelings like ours,” says James 5:17.

• Why did he want to die? At one point, Elijah felt alone, afraid, and worthless. So he begged: “Jehovah, take my life away.”—1 Kings 19:4.

• What helped him? Elijah poured out his feelings to God. How did God encourage him? God showed him concern and gave him a demonstration of His power. He also assured Elijah that he was still needed and gave Elijah a caring and capable assistant.

• ▸Read about Elijah: 1 Kings 19:2-18.
Job
  • Who was he? Job was a wealthy family man who faithfully worshipped the true God.

• Why did he want to die? Job’s life took a major turn for the worse. He lost all his possessions. All of his children died in a disaster. He got an agonizing disease. And finally, he was cruelly and falsely accused of causing his own problems. Job said: “I loathe my life; I do not want to go on living.”—Job 7:16.

• What helped him? Job prayed to God and talked to others. (Job 10:1-3) He was encouraged by a compassionate friend, Elihu, who helped him put his situation in perspective. Above all, Job welcomed God’s counsel and help.

• ▸Read about Job: Job 1:1-3, 13-22; 2:7; 3:1-13; 36:1-7; 38:1-3; 42:1, 2, 10-13.
Moses
  • Who was he? Moses was a leader of ancient Israel and a faithful prophet.

• Why did he want to die? Moses had a huge workload, was constantly criticized, and felt worn out. So he cried out to God: “Please kill me right now.”—Numbers 11:11, 15.

• What helped him? Moses told God how he felt. God helped Moses lighten his workload to alleviate the stress.

• ▸Read about Moses: Numbers 11:4-6, 10-17.
These, although being men of great faith were altogether very human.

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

My worst depression - where at times, I would fantasize about getting hit by cars - came before my faith was rekindled. As my faith became strong, the primary reasons for that went away.

I have had minor bouts of depression for other reasons since that dark time in my life, but nothing that can compete with it in length of time or severity. I have perspective and conviction now that I didn't have before, thanks be to God.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can a saved Christian still feel suicidal and even kill themselves

Simple answer Yes.

Christians are just people, no different to Buddhists, Muslims, Hindi agnostics or atheists.
We all have ups and downs in our mental state, some people do suffer from mental illnesses to the extent that they take their life.
They need help not demonisation.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

We are all human ... emotional beings .... being Christian doesn't exempt someone from that fact.

The moral impact of suicide is addressed through a biblical understanding of human life: God created it, and we are not the owners, to use it and dispose of it as we please; the sixth commandment has something to say about the topic. Therefore, a Christian should not consider suicide a morally valid solution to the predicament of living in a world of physical and emotional pain.

often those who commit suicide needed professional help that most of us were unable to provide.

God’s justice takes into consideration the intensity of our troubled minds; He understands us better than anyone else. We rest in that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KybeKyneKane

Aug 13, 2021
Seoul
✟24,459.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

besides your places of worship like churches, other places can be considered a sanctuary as well.
and if you have a job with a source of income, all the better, right?
you are in command of yourself so constantly seek projects and just try your best from there.
just provide yourself with what are your true strengths to stick by and keep faith in whatever you want and don't let doubt creep into your life.

Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I do not struggle with suicidal thoughts. My main problem though was fear, before I came to Christ. I doubted my future so much mainly because, a lot of members in the family were dying prematurely, and some even dying violent deaths, including a couple who committed suicide. I just lived in so much doubt and fear for a long time, such that I ended up normalizing my problem.

When I came to the Lord, i had to pray against this strange spirit of fear and God was so kind, as I no longer live in fear anymore and I do not doubt my future either, because I look forward to going to a better place someday anyway. I do experience stressful times yes, but know fully well that my redeemer lives and I stay anchored in Christ, for constant peace.

Another funny thing with me is, I don't doubt God in big storms but it is the little storms, that seem to shake me badly. I only come back and rest in Christ, after having been walloped badly by my stresses.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

I've been a Christian my whole life. It was only as an adult that I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety disorders, for which I take proscription medication.

Being a Christian no more cures one's mental illness than it does cure physical ailments.

As such, while prayer and fellowship with the Body can be immensely good for one's mental well-being for Christians; that doesn't mean we shouldn't seek help from medical professionals. Mental illness is illness, and the sick need a physician.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0