Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FORT WORTH, Texas, September 23, 2011 (LifeSiteNews.com) - A Christian high school student was punished by his school this week for saying he believes “being a homosexual is wrong.”
Dakota_Ary-240x155.jpg

14-year-old Dakota Ary was suspended for saying he believes being a homosexual is "wrong."

Dakota Ary, 14, says his statement was part of a one-on-one conversation about religions in Germany with a friend sitting behind him during a language class, according to a local Fox News report.

“I guess [the teacher] heard me. He started yelling,” said Ary. “He told me he was going to write me an infraction and send me to the office.”
Holly Pope, Ary’s mother, said she was in “disbelief” over the punishment. “My son is on the honor roll with great grades. I don’t have any problems out of him,” she said.

The mother was not satisfied when the school principal reduced the in-school suspension from two days to one. She brought an attorney with her to meet the principal Wednesday and is demaning a promise of no retaliation over the event and that the event be removed from Ary’s record.

“Students don’t lose their first amendment rights just because they go in the schoolhouse door,” Pope’s attorney Matt Krause told myFOXdfw.com. The school has yet to make a decision.

Continued- http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/texas-honors-student-suspended-for-saying-homosexuality-is-wrong

CruciFixed

Nov 17, 2008
Akron, Ohio
✟6,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Saying some act is wrong is not something you should be allowed to be suspended over. I've said in school other acts were wrong I've said inappropriate behavior with animals is wrong and pedophilia is wrong. I've said transsexuals have mental disorders if they think they are a boy when they were born with a vagina.

This is a stupid reaction to "Homosexuality is wrong"

I can understand being suspended for throwing up gang signs or cursing or wearing profane clothes but not for stating a controversial opinion.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
He still has the right to say it.

Not in school- he has a right to think it and believe it, but no he doesn't have a right to shoot his mouth off- dems the rules... he would be suspended if he showed up and said- Mrs. So and So is a fat ho...

It is what it is.

As soon a Christians learn to get out of their own way- we might be able to evangelize.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Saying some act is wrong is not something you should be allowed to be suspended over. I've said in school other acts were wrong I've said inappropriate behavior with animals is wrong and pedophilia is wrong. I've said transsexuals have mental disorders if they think they are a boy when they were born with a vagina.

This is a stupid reaction to "Homosexuality is wrong"

I can understand being suspended for throwing up gang signs or cursing or wearing profane clothes but not for stating a controversial opinion.
he didn't say that though- what he said was," Being gay is wrong..." Its not a sin to be gay. Its a sin to act on it sexually.

we have to be able to respect people, no matter if they are gay or not- they are still people.

They are people who so happen to be gay.

we can respect a gay person with out agreing with same sex, sex.

we really can not see them as some kind of non-human thing because they like the same sex.

We need to just see them as people....who have a sexual actraion that is not properly order accoring to God's will for human sexuality.

If we just go around all willy nilly saying "being gay is wrong" we will lose folks fast.

Upvote 0

JackKerouac

Uncle Zen-Master
Dec 29, 2005
Kentucky
✟93,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
benedictaoo said:
Not in school- he has a right to think it and believe it, but no he doesn't have a right to shoot his mouth off- dems the rules... he would be suspended if he showed up and said- Mrs. So and So is a fat ho...

It is what it is.

As soon a Christians learn to get out of their own way- we might be able to evangelize.

That's ridiculous. What you're characterizing as "shooting his mouth off" was actually a boy expressing an opinion. Your hyperbole doesn't make it anything more. And the suggestions in this thread that the boy was wrong in what he said so therefore should have been punished are beyond laughable. The teacher in this situation way overstepped his duties at best, but more accurately acted like a Nazi. I am 100% there is grounds for legal action. If not, we need to resign ourselves to the fact that our kids are going to school in a system in which they can be suspended for professing allegiance to Team Jacob when the teacher is on Team Edward.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟394,288.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's ridiculous. What you're characterizing as "shooting his mouth off" was actually a boy expressing an opinion. Your hyperbole doesn't make it anything more. And the suggestions in this thread that the boy was wrong in what he said so therefore should have been punished are beyond laughable. The teacher in this situation way overstepped his duties at best, but more accurately acted like a Nazi. I am 100% there is grounds for legal action. If not, we need to resign ourselves to the fact that our kids are going to school in a system in which they can be suspended for professing allegiance to Team Jacob when the teacher is on Team Edward.
In what way did the teacher act like a Nazi?
Did they shoot them, gas them, ship them off to be exterminated ?

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would be interested in exactly what he was put in ISS (In School Suspension)for. Was it for talking in class? I suppose if he had a history of talking in class (which is not terribly likely since school has not been in for very long), that he could have been sent to ISS for talking or perhaps for disruptive behavior? If he was put in ISS for making a discriminatory statement, then that would be something to take up with the ACLU I suppose? It would be interesting to know what the rule was that he broke and what they said he was put into ISS for and the article does not tell us that. Was he disrespectful to the teacher? Was he talking during a test or something? I don't think we are given enough information.

Reactions: Jere209
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I would be interested in exactly what he was put in ISS (In School Suspension)for. Was it for talking in class? I suppose if he had a history of talking in class (which is not terribly likely since school has not been in for very long), that he could have been sent to ISS for talking or perhaps for disruptive behavior? If he was put in ISS for making a discriminatory statement, then that would be something to take up with the ACLU I suppose? It would be interesting to know what the rule was that he broke and what they said he was put into ISS for and the article does not tell us that. Was he disrespectful to the teacher? Was he talking during a test or something? I don't think we are given enough information.

There are many articles with the complete story. Don't be lazy, query and read. I have read the story over a few times.

It was the teacher who had an agenda. The teacher had consistently brought the topic up in class.

The boy is an honor student and athlete. The incident happened in language class, the boy was studying German. The topic was brought up and the kid gave his opinion to a class mate, not out loud or in a derogatory manner. He gave his opinion.

The school has backed down, since the family contacted the Liberty group, which defends Christians in civil rights cases.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That article still does not say what the school's reason for suspension was. A teacher cannot suspend a student for a day as far as I am aware. I substitute teach in two school districts. A teacher can send a student to In School Suspension for one class period or to the principal's office. As far as I am aware, only the principal can assign a suspension of a full day or more.
Those articles do not give the reason that the principal had for suspending the student.
There is more to the story than is being told and in the story it said that the school district would not talk to the reporters.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
That article still does not say what the school's reason for suspension was. A teacher cannot suspend a student for a day as far as I am aware. I substitute teach in two school districts. A teacher can send a student to In School Suspension for one class period or to the principal's office. As far as I am aware, only the principal can assign a suspension of a full day or more.
Those articles do not give the reason that the principal had for suspending the student.
There is more to the story than is being told and in the story it said that the school district would not talk to the reporters.

A school can suspend a student for anything they please. It is when the parents take a stand, that the reasons become known. The teacher is an activist. I have read other articles, where the teachers posts Gay rights literature on his school faculty site. I have no problem with the teachers beliefs, but he infringed on the child's belief's .

Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
As a fun side note, non-Catholics cannot debate in OBOB.

The student was talking to another person in a private conversation, and was overheard by someone who reported it. Not really sure how having a private conversation is infringing on someone else's belief or trumping somebody else's freedom. If we're taking that logic to its ultimate end, then apparently no one can disagree with anyone on anything in school. I guess all debate classes are out the window.

I'm also not sure how you leaped from "this kid has an opinion" to "this kid thinks homosexuals are subhuman" and how you leaped from eastcoast_bsc saying "the teacher has an agenda" to him saying "it's the gay agenda." Perhaps you ought to read the article and the responses in this thread more carefully.

Upvote 0