Southeast Ohio
✟567,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
This little college deserves the smack down that is probably coming to it. The facts of this case are so egregious as to leave no doubt of the college's fault. However, one never knows what will happen in district court.

As an aside, I was asked my religious affiliation in my application to Regent University.

Upvote 0

Sunshine Locket

This isn't what the Genie in the bottle promised
Apr 19, 2014
✟1,712.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
This little college deserves the smack down that is probably coming to it. The facts of this case are so egregious as to leave no doubt of the college's fault. However, one never knows what will happen in district court.

As an aside, I was asked my religious affiliation in my application to Regent University.

I'd think that would be normal in that Regent is a Christian University. They're entitled to be discriminating when their a Christian private education center. University or College.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
One thing Spock fans with their "IDIC" never figured out - that the essence of a pluralistic society must be one where outrage arises every five minutes over some clash between mutually exclusive views of reality.
Pluralism is the religion of empires, that seek to include different cultures, languages and religions under one umbrella, one ruler. The empire is pretty much the opposite of a kingdom, a land of one language, culture, religion, etc, where outrage, "political correctness"* and offense are NOT the rule of the day.

Just imagine living in a place where your own language, culture and religion are considered the rule of the day, and others to be foreign and literally outlandish.

* once I defined "political correctness" as "the practical application of pluralism", it all began to make sense and I was able to pinpoint its source.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

New Legacy

Dec 7, 2013
✟2,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't see the problem. I have read other sources on the issue. More than likely he was someone that inappropriately discussed faith. A big chuck of my resume involves faith and I have the sense that in the secular world I tone it down as much as possible. Putting religion all over your resume may indicate a person will put religion all over the workplace. I don't mean having a cross or Jesus stuff on your desk - I mean asking people to pray, if they are saved, etc.

More than likely he was rejected due to his grades and performance. Having sympathy for the guy, I think they gave him good and appropriate advice, for which they are now being sued.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I don't see the problem.

The problem is, is that a Christian was discriminated against for being a Christian. This is in a world where the media and people would have blown up if this was for sexual orientation or race. You are a Christian, right? And not a wolf?

I have read other sources on the issue.

Link them, then. Otherwise, no care.

More than likely he was someone that inappropriately discussed faith.

During the interview process, college officials asked Brandon, “What is the most important thing to you.” Brandon answered simply, “My God.”

Yes, how terrible inappropriate. Read and stop assuming.

A big chuck of my resume involves faith and I have the sense that in the secular world I tone it down as much as possible.

If stating that God is most important to him is too much for the secular world and you wouldn't say that, you're denying God to man. Congrats. Or, you know, read and stop assuming.

Putting religion all over your resume may indicate a person will put religion all over the workplace. I don't mean having a cross or Jesus stuff on your desk - I mean asking people to pray, if they are saved, etc.

You're fantastic at assuming. Did you even read the article? Oh wait, you have other sources. Link them.

More than likely he was rejected due to his grades and performance.

Hmmmm, that's strange. Did you even read the article?

Brandon first applied for admission to the Radiation Therapy Program in April 2013. He met the standards of a competitive candidate and scored the maximum points allowed during his observation.

Having sympathy for the guy, I think they gave him good and appropriate advice, for which they are now being sued.

Don't admit to being a Christian or else is good advice? Congrats on denying God to man.

:doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
After reading that article I think the person in question has an even better case. I think that Miss Dougherty is a loser and a liar. After saying he had a lower GPA then the other applicants and citing a criminal offense from a decade ago as the reason for being rejected; she then invites him to join another program within the school! I guess the lower gpa and criminal infraction does not apply to the other departments?

Of course what she really is implying is that he has psycological/ mental problems and thats the field he should go into. You can smell the sarcasm in her quotes.

Upvote 0

Sunshine Locket

This isn't what the Genie in the bottle promised
Apr 19, 2014
✟1,712.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
And for the rest of the story...That article leaves out Mr. Jenkins had a lower GPA than other students applying for the program and he couldn't pass a criminal background check. Add to that his reasoning for wanting to be in the field is God told him to and I'd deny him entrance as well and I'm an Orthodox Christian working in medicine.
If so then you'd be the one being sued. And rightly so. Namely because in this case Ms.Daugherty identified her religious bigotry in writing.

“I understand that religion is a major part of your life and that was evident in your recommendation letters, however, this field is not the place for religion,” Adrienne Dougherty, the director of the radiation program, wrote in the email. “We have many patients who come to us for treatment from many different regions and some who believe in nothing at all. If you interview in the future, you may want to leave your thoughts and beliefs out of the interview process.”

Note that there is no mention of what those criminal charges were from 10 years ago? A charge is a far cry from a verdict of guilt.

Upvote 0