Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
COMMENTARY: There is a definite difference between loving your neighbor and embracing your neighbor’s set of house rules.

One of the things that I miss of my days spent in Milford, Connecticut, is the common sense that is embedded in the community and that was part of my upbringing. I graduated from Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, in the late 1980s and then moved south to go to graduate school. But, when I was young, I took for granted the direct and blue-collar way of looking at things that I was raised with. Later, I realized that not all people and not all areas of the country are quite as level-headed.

Of course, as in other places, these common-sense things are not uniformly held in Connecticut, either. For example, let’s take Sacred Heart, my beloved university (beloved, literally). Sacred Heart was established as a Catholic college in 1963, the year of my birth. The university was founded as a way to give second-generation immigrant kids an affordable college education, under a Catholic umbrella.

In a way, I am a minor emblem, as my grandfather moved here from Ireland, and I was the first person in my family to go to college. When I started at Sacred Heart, it was a commuting school. It has come a long way from those days. The leadership and school have made great progress.

But, there are some recent trends that bother me. In the past few years, Sacred Heart has made several public statements and taken several initiatives to support gender ideology. Recently, they have stepped it up even more and hired a “Manager of LGBTQ+ Affairs,” who leads the school’s new Sexuality and Gender Equity Center. Now, you might think you know where I am going on this, as this is a politically loaded subject, but I think my perspective is different. I do definitely think the topic needs to be addressed squarely.

Continued below.