Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When it comes to the topic of perfectionism, I know a thing or two. Experience shows that only love can really set us free from the desire to be in control.

Last week, in the high school theology class I teach, the students were having a vigorous debate as I walked through the door to begin class. The previous class period we had been in Mass and one of the students, because he felt he’d done a poor job paying attention, decided to refrain from receiving communion out of reverence for the Eucharist. A lively discussion then ensued in the hallway after Mass and spilled into my class. Is it possible to ever perfectly participate in the Mass? Doesn’t our attention wander at least a little bit at some point? Isn’t there some lingering sin? Some defect in our love?

In most schools, I imagine that the students spend the time in between classes staring at their phones, goofing off, or scrambling last-minute to finish homework. Not to brag, but at mine they debate high-level theology. I absolutely love teaching in a school with a strong Catholic identity.

As the bell rang to begin class, I decided to inject some structure into the discussion and make it an official part of our class time.

A former(?) perfectionist on perfectionism​

Continued below.

Reactions: ralliann