still haven't found happiness.

D

Dreamer28

Are we supposed to make meaning of everything meaningless or are we supposed to see it as meaningless? Like in Eccleasties. B/c to me everything is, and when I try to do things like write and dance, I still find no happiness. It's all meaningless. I've been at my novel for a few days now, almost a week and still not happy. I get happy when I'm writing it, but then later, my happiness goes away. & I don't know why God is trying to teach me that everything is meaningless.

alan650

Oct 19, 2006
✟25,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Everything is meaningless only if you don't have a solid relationship with Jesus Christ. Realize the infinite love our Savior has for you. He loves you as a child. He doesn't love as an imperfect earthly father but as a perfect holy Heavenly Father! Once you understand God's love and submit fully to Him because he only has good plans, only then will you be enveloped by his love and live a life full of meaning because of your overflowing gratitude towards Christ. We who are in Christ Jesus will experience a peace that surpasses understanding and we have the freedom to enjoy our earthly hobbies. God's grace and Holy Spirit will make sure we don't indulge too much as to make idols of these hobbies but He will give us joy in every situation.

Upvote 0

xxxxxxtra

Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
✟603.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why are you assuming that God has a hand in this.. Why not take responsibility for yourself.. Funny how we go about our lives doing as we please.. Not wanting to be accountable to anyone.. Then when we are suffering the results of our decissions. We point the finger at God..

Upvote 0
D

Dreamer28

Why are you assuming that God has a hand in this.. Why not take responsibility for yourself.. Funny how we go about our lives doing as we please.. Not wanting to be accountable to anyone.. Then when we are suffering the results of our decissions. We point the finger at God..

I don't know what you mean by that. B/c I don't point fingures at people, and how does that make a dfiferancce in finding happiness in what I'm doing, such as hobbies and stuff? To me, even a roller rink, can be meaningless and everyone else is hsving fun.

Upvote 0
D

Dreamer28

Everything is meaningless only if you don't have a solid relationship with Jesus Christ. Realize the infinite love our Savior has for you. He loves you as a child. He doesn't love as an imperfect earthly father but as a perfect holy Heavenly Father! Once you understand God's love and submit fully to Him because he only has good plans, only then will you be enveloped by his love and live a life full of meaning because of your overflowing gratitude towards Christ. We who are in Christ Jesus will experience a peace that surpasses understanding and we have the freedom to enjoy our earthly hobbies. God's grace and Holy Spirit will make sure we don't indulge too much as to make idols of these hobbies but He will give us joy in every situation.

yeah, maybe he's trying to help me find his will for my life. thanks for the advice.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Are we supposed to make meaning of everything meaningless or are we supposed to see it as meaningless? Like in Eccleasties. B/c to me everything is, and when I try to do things like write and dance, I still find no happiness. It's all meaningless. I've been at my novel for a few days now, almost a week and still not happy. I get happy when I'm writing it, but then later, my happiness goes away. & I don't know why God is trying to teach me that everything is meaningless.

Happiness is an emotion. Faith shouldn't be emotion driven. A lack of happiness does not logically equate to life being meaningless. We were created to commune with God. No matter where we are in life- we can fulfill our purpose of living a life in Christ.

Upvote 0

tbogunro

Sep 30, 2012
DeKalb, IL
✟15,867.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lol you have to understand the point of view Ecclesiastes is coming from. The book is written by a wise man coming from a world point of view and not God. I believe it's from Solomon before God gave Him true wisdom but I may be wrong. Some parts are true but understand that the things He says are exactly how people feel and think when they're just going about life with no sense of real purpose because they feel like everything is just going to go away someday. Yes part of it is true but it goes deeper than that. That's the world's/human wisdom but the spiritual part (real wisdom) of it is found mostly in Proverbs. God Himself says human wisdom is foolishness to Him. It's good to read Ecclesiastes in order to get an understanding where those without real knowledge from God comes from, some truth but not the COMPLETE truth. Things of this world will fade but they're not meaningless because you're where you are because of the desires God gives you and unless God does meaningless things then what you do has a significant effect in the spiritual. If you find the things you do meaningless then you simply will become stagnant and not end up having the awesome life God wants for you. That's exactly what the devil wants. God might be showing you that yes the world will fade, so be conscious of accomplishing all that God has for you while ENJOYING the ride. Also it clearly shows who is teaching you the wrong things. God it's not in the business of taking away your happiness. If God has given you the gift and ability to write then go with it. If you're happy at first then the happiness goes away, you know who is trying to steal your joy. Trust me if God didn't want you to do something, peace will be the outcome not a sense of meaningless :). It's not all meaningless because EVERY thing God does through you has a purpose and His purpose to give you the life and future you hope for. Why do you think the devil wants you to think things are meaningless?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jupiter Drops

be like a flower and turn your face to the sun
Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

It's kind of like me back then when I used to go do something fun with my friends, whether it be shopping, drinking, partying, etc. Or just doing what I want that made me happy. Not to say that I equate writing or dancing to drinking/partying, or other exampled I've listed above, but there could be other reasons why you're not happy. It could simply be from the fact that your happiness is only a temporary high.

Back then, after I came back home from drinking/partying, shopping with friends or whatever else I did to attain my goal, I didn't feel happy. I felt emptier and lonelier inside. For me, it was because simply I already achieved what I wanted and that there was nothing else to achieve. I had nothing to look forward to because I already satisfied myself with these short-term goals that had no true fulfillment/meaning in my life. Even putting my best in college and trying to get on the good side with my profs didn't work. It didn't make me happy; it made me worse.

It's just me, but I also felt empty and lonely because I don't think that I had this sense of identity in Christ. Back then, I was trying to please everyone to please myself. That was wrong, so I decided to please myself, and even that was wrong.

Remember that God makes everything new again and again. You just have to look forward to God and trust Him today instead of satisfying your temporary wants today. A short prayer before doing something helped me bit by bit.

Nothing is meaningless. In fact, everything is made with precision and plan. Look at how God created the universe, and see the wonders of nature. Everything has use and purpose in life. Remember that.

Putting God first in whatever you do is more important than chasing after happiness.

Happiness is temporary. Building relationship with God is permanent.

Sometimes even a small change in your regular routine helps.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I find music makes me happy. Being with my fiance makes me happy. Nature makes me happy. For some its just harder to find what makes them happy. For others they focus so much on God that they make everything in life pointless and unhappy.

Obviously we are suppose to focus on God. But God never said don't be happy in life or think of it all as meaningless. If we act that way then how could we lead others to Christ when we seem to be in a deep state of depression? Be happy in God if nothing else. Some say that doesn't make sense to them. But for example God provided me with my fiance, for this I am happy because I have her. So he brought me something that was part of his plan that would make me rejoice and praise him even more.

When I was younger I said "If we live forever after we die then what is the point of everything now? It seems so sad and pointless!". I got stuck on that thought for years. We have to get away from that thought though. Life isn't meaningless. If anything we are called to love others and bring them to Christ. Think of it as our main goal with these lives we have as humans. To save others as we were saved. Being another light in the darkness is yet another thing that makes me happy.

This doens't mean we don't have bad days or terrible trials of course. But in those times we have faith in God and we rejoice when the trial passes. Assuming it does. I am disabled and have a brain injury. I will have it until the day I die. I used to be very depressed about it because God wouldn't heal it. But now I have coped and accepted I am this way.

more importantly I have realized because I am brain injured that my story of survival brings others joy, brings people to Christ and often makes other christians gain strength in their walks. So its another thing that brings me joy. And the glory is Gods in the end.

Upvote 0
D

Dreamer28

Lol you have to understand the point of view Ecclesiastes is coming from. The book is written by a wise man coming from a world point of view and not God. I believe it's from Solomon before God gave Him true wisdom but I may be wrong. Some parts are true but understand that the things He says are exactly how people feel and think when they're just going about life with no sense of real purpose because they feel like everything is just going to go away someday. Yes part of it is true but it goes deeper than that. That's the world's/human wisdom but the spiritual part (real wisdom) of it is found mostly in Proverbs. God Himself says human wisdom is foolishness to Him. It's good to read Ecclesiastes in order to get an understanding where those without real knowledge from God comes from, some truth but not the COMPLETE truth. Things of this world will fade but they're not meaningless because you're where you are because of the desires God gives you and unless God does meaningless things then what you do has a significant effect in the spiritual. If you find the things you do meaningless then you simply will become stagnant and not end up having the awesome life God wants for you. That's exactly what the devil wants. God might be showing you that yes the world will fade, so be conscious of accomplishing all that God has for you while ENJOYING the ride. Also it clearly shows who is teaching you the wrong things. God it's not in the business of taking away your happiness. If God has given you the gift and ability to write then go with it. If you're happy at first then the happiness goes away, you know who is trying to steal your joy. Trust me if God didn't want you to do something, peace will be the outcome not a sense of meaningless :). It's not all meaningless because EVERY thing God does through you has a purpose and His purpose to give you the life and future you hope for. Why do you think the devil wants you to think things are meaningless?

Thanks for the advice, that's the answer I was looking for. Anyways, I'll just keep writing. I think it's one of my abilities. :)

Upvote 0
D

Dreamer28

I find music makes me happy. Being with my fiance makes me happy. Nature makes me happy. For some its just harder to find what makes them happy. For others they focus so much on God that they make everything in life pointless and unhappy.

Obviously we are suppose to focus on God. But God never said don't be happy in life or think of it all as meaningless. If we act that way then how could we lead others to Christ when we seem to be in a deep state of depression? Be happy in God if nothing else. Some say that doesn't make sense to them. But for example God provided me with my fiance, for this I am happy because I have her. So he brought me something that was part of his plan that would make me rejoice and praise him even more.

When I was younger I said "If we live forever after we die then what is the point of everything now? It seems so sad and pointless!". I got stuck on that thought for years. We have to get away from that thought though. Life isn't meaningless. If anything we are called to love others and bring them to Christ. Think of it as our main goal with these lives we have as humans. To save others as we were saved. Being another light in the darkness is yet another thing that makes me happy.

This doens't mean we don't have bad days or terrible trials of course. But in those times we have faith in God and we rejoice when the trial passes. Assuming it does. I am disabled and have a brain injury. I will have it until the day I die. I used to be very depressed about it because God wouldn't heal it. But now I have coped and accepted I am this way.

more importantly I have realized because I am brain injured that my story of survival brings others joy, brings people to Christ and often makes other christians gain strength in their walks. So its another thing that brings me joy. And the glory is Gods in the end.

sorry to hear that you have brain injury, that's true, what you said. I didn't think of it that way. Thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
D

Dreamer28

It's kind of like me back then when I used to go do something fun with my friends, whether it be shopping, drinking, partying, etc. Or just doing what I want that made me happy. Not to say that I equate writing or dancing to drinking/partying, or other exampled I've listed above, but there could be other reasons why you're not happy. It could simply be from the fact that your happiness is only a temporary high.

Back then, after I came back home from drinking/partying, shopping with friends or whatever else I did to attain my goal, I didn't feel happy. I felt emptier and lonelier inside. For me, it was because simply I already achieved what I wanted and that there was nothing else to achieve. I had nothing to look forward to because I already satisfied myself with these short-term goals that had no true fulfillment/meaning in my life. Even putting my best in college and trying to get on the good side with my profs didn't work. It didn't make me happy; it made me worse.

It's just me, but I also felt empty and lonely because I don't think that I had this sense of identity in Christ. Back then, I was trying to please everyone to please myself. That was wrong, so I decided to please myself, and even that was wrong.

Remember that God makes everything new again and again. You just have to look forward to God and trust Him today instead of satisfying your temporary wants today. A short prayer before doing something helped me bit by bit.

Nothing is meaningless. In fact, everything is made with precision and plan. Look at how God created the universe, and see the wonders of nature. Everything has use and purpose in life. Remember that.

yeah true.

Upvote 0

Pal Handy

Irregular Member
Jun 15, 2011
Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Joy is from God, not happiness.

Happiness is based in situations and things while joy comes
out of a deep and personal relationship with God.

The Holy Spirit brings to us God's love, peace and joy.

Perhaps your relationship with God needs to grow and become
deeper as He truly is the only one who can satisfy our souls.

We were made to fellowship with God in love and trust so when
our relationship with Him doesn't mature and grow as it should,
we will come to a place in our lives where we are unfulfilled
and sadly lacking the joy of the Lord.

The joy of knowing our Lord and His love for us so personal and intimate.

The joy of knowing that the God of all creation loves each of us as if we
are the only one.

The joy of the Lord is my strength is what David wrote and who better
to tell us of the depths of love that God has for each of us.

Why are you reading from a book that brings you to a place of
such darkness, foreboding and despair?

Read in the Psalms if you want to see the depths of relationship
you can have in Christ with God your heavenly Father.

Read in Romans and see the depths of God's love for you.

Read in the gospel of John to understand God's love for you.

Read in Corinthians 13 about what love is and ask God to bring you to a place
of love and relationship with Himself through Jesus Christ.

Ask God to FILL YOU WITH HIS HOLY SPIRIT OF LOVE.

Luke 11:13
If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Things, situations and even other people will only take you so far
in conditional happiness but God gives us joy unspeakable when we
allow Him to be the center of our lives as we surrender to His love
and invite Him to come into our lives without reservation.

Upvote 0