Cieza

Jul 3, 2011
Earth
✟1,225.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
That is your problem then isn't it? Why put your problems onto someone else?
It doesn't bother me if I get offended. It's far more humorous to listen to Tim Tebow praise Jesus while seeing him doing some Tebowing than it is to watch Tim Lincecum high-five his teammates and then thank his teammates and the fans. Maybe that's why Kurt Warner thinks Tebow should tone it down - because all of the Tebowing is turning into an entertainment act.

Upvote 0

Cieza

Jul 3, 2011
Earth
✟1,225.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Not really to be honest, it happens and while Dr Dawkins has some serious bone of contention with God, he has done some quite respectable work. What does offend me though, as I have mentioned already on this thread, when someone uses the names of the Lord as cuss word. I don't see you picking a bone about that, do you think it is ok to disrespect God in this way, or is it something only a Christian would be offended by?
I don't think it's disrespectful to God to use the Lord's name as a cuss word. It's disrespectful to someone like you when the Lord's name is used as a cuss word. Do you really think God is imperfect enough that he is sensitive to being disrespected?

Upvote 0

DCJazz

Doctor Coffee
Dec 15, 2010
Idaho, USA
✟8,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Is it physiologically impossible for an atheist to perform good deeds in the manner Tebow does? What if we found out tomorrow that Tebow is a closet atheist who puts on the Christianity show to throw people off? And he dropped the public displays of Christianity but continued with his charismatic nature and with his good deeds and charity work?

I don't see how good works matter. It's faith in Christ alone that saves.

If the questions don't matter to you, then why do you participate?

I can't speak for him, but maybe he just wants you to know God like he does. I know that I have compassion for you, personally. It's the only reason I really respond to your threads anymore.

Upvote 0

SonOfTheWest

Britpack
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
✟9,861.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
You're missing my point.

That would be because your reply to what you quoted of Cieza's didn't even remotely address the questions that were rendered. Saying 'Bananas' in response to the question, "Does the car need petrol?" may have some point behind it, but it doesn't make it an relevant response.

So what I do have to work with is what you did reply with.

It's a rather simple either or really. Either an atheist who is publically known about an atheism and mentions from time to time how their atheism informs their worldview,etc in the course of interviews,etc CAN be a role model or can't be.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think it's disrespectful to God to use the Lord's name as a cuss word. It's disrespectful to someone like you when the Lord's name is used as a cuss word. Do you really think God is imperfect enough that he is sensitive to being disrespected?

That is precisely what He says in the third of the ten commandments.

Exodus 20
7 “You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

It doesn't mean He is imperfect though, to my logic it means quite the opposite.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think it's disrespectful to God to use the Lord's name as a cuss word. It's disrespectful to someone like you when the Lord's name is used as a cuss word.

Bud, take the biggest strongest guys in a store that caters to competitive weight lifters, and have them take the Lord's Name in vain. The next thing they do is look at me, and apologize. They have no idea who I am, nor did I say a word. Explain that?

Do you really think God is imperfect enough that he is sensitive to being disrespected?

(Exodus 20:7) Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain."

You didn't really have to ask that, did you?

Anyway back to Tebow: for a rookie, he sure made a splash! Who else in NFL history has had a verb created in honor of him? And how many English teachers will be teaching their students how to conjugate the verb, "to Tebow?" Maybe next year he'll be on an offense that's actually designed to pass?

Upvote 0