Southern Baptist

Larry Smart

Aug 7, 2015
✟7,808.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
They are certainly a denomination, because on many occasions they are in the news for the latest edict that they pass down to their churches. The churches are pseudo independent because they do pretty much what they want, they are a part of the convention and I think that they can't leave the convention without giving up their building because the denomination owns it (I may be wrong there). I do know that the pastors and missionaries receive there retirement plans from the convention and the missionaries are paid by the convention as well.

Thank you Charles. I felt like they are more of an association. The Southern Baptist churches have so much autonomy that they do not seem to be on the same page. I know if they get too far off course some churches have been asked to leave fellowship with the SBC. I contacted the SBC since my original post and learned a bunch. In retrospect, I should have contacted them before posting. Regardless, thank you for taking the time in order that I can have a better understanding.

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I keep reading about "Southern Baptist" as if it is a denomination. Many churches are listed on the Southern Baptist Convention website, but the churches differ greatly. Some have tradition services and others have gone to extreme "progressive" services (almost like a rock concert). Some have female deacons while others follow scripture for church leaders. My point is that when you hear someone say they attend a southern baptist church remember that includes a wide range of churches. If someone sees it differently, I would appreciate you setting me straight.

How do older folks deal with these loud rock bands? I'm sure they desire quieter peaceful worship.

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The idea that a Baptist Church in cooperation with the SBC would have such a view on homosexuality really disturbed me. I contacted SBC today and will share in part what I learned. To be a church in cooperation with the SBC, that church has to be identify closely with the SBC's adopted state of faith. Example, " churches which act to affirm, approve, or endorse homosexual behavior would be deemed not to be in cooperation with the convention."

Jimmy Carter had a big impact living the Baptist regarding to the homosexually. Personally I wouldn't want to promote any type of fornication in any gender. Other church seem to promote active sex before marriage. I don't think massage is sex nor kissing is sex. I think two becomes one flesh literally mean having a baby. Those things don't work at all with gays so gays are not making any sense

Upvote 0

Larry Smart

Aug 7, 2015
✟7,808.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
How do older folks deal with these loud rock bands? I'm sure they desire quieter peaceful worship.

I can answer for me and my wife. We are "older folks" and we don't deal with it. There are still a few tradition Baptist churches. I know that many disagree with me on this, but I feel that the loud rock bands is bringing the things of the world into the church. I feel that it is a means of entertainment for men/women and children. If they offered free popcorn they could probably get more in their churches. For me (and maybe me only) it detracts from praising and worshipping God; which is one reason I go to church.
God bless,
Larry

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can answer for me and my wife. We are "older folks" and we don't deal with it. There are still a few tradition Baptist churches. I know that many disagree with me on this, but I feel that the loud rock bands is bringing the things of the world into the church. I feel that it is a means of entertainment for men/women and children. If they offered free popcorn they could probably get more in their churches. For me (and maybe me only) it detracts from praising and worshipping God; which is one reason I go to church.
God bless,
Larry

Do you worry about hearing loss in loud worship?

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe the bands can be loud enough to have an effect on hearing. My personal concern is that it panders to people who attend church for entertainment rather than worship.
That why I left the SB so I can actually worship for real

Upvote 0

Short Timer

Aug 19, 2015
✟8,677.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
They are certainly a denomination, because on many occasions they are in the news for the latest edict that they pass down to their churches. The churches are pseudo independent because they do pretty much what they want, they are a part of the convention and I think that they can't leave the convention without giving up their building because the denomination owns it (I may be wrong there). I do know that the pastors and missionaries receive there retirement plans from the convention and the missionaries are paid by the convention as well.

Each church is owned by the "local People", they can withdraw any time they chose, without having to worry about losing their "Building",
and they can be refused membership in the denomination for supporting certain doctrines.
Contributions from each church goes to support mission work, including mission workers expense/retirement/old folks/children homes.
Each church is responsible for it's "own expenses".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums