Southern Baptist

Larry Smart

Aug 7, 2015
✟7,808.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I keep reading about "Southern Baptist" as if it is a denomination. Many churches are listed on the Southern Baptist Convention website, but the churches differ greatly. Some have tradition services and others have gone to extreme "progressive" services (almost like a rock concert). Some have female deacons while others follow scripture for church leaders. My point is that when you hear someone say they attend a southern baptist church remember that includes a wide range of churches. If someone sees it differently, I would appreciate you setting me straight.

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Southern Baptist is a denomination. I can point to the Baptist Faith and Message as the basics for the faith of any Southern Baptist Church. If they are not agreeing to this, it seems as though they should be removed from the denomination. What type of service they have or whether they have women deacons has nothing to do with a defined Southern Baptist Church.

Now I agree that there is a wide variety of Southern Baptists and it requires being selective when going to them. I would not go to a church with a woman pastor. I'm probably wouldn't go to one with a woman deacon, because the odds are they are quite progressive (music style doesn't equate to how progressive a church is).

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Larry,

As I understand it, southern Baptist is a subset of the 'baptist' denomination. There are several. Just a short list off the top of my head would be 'independent' Baptist, 'freewill' Baptist, 'missionary' Baptist, 'full gospel' Baptist. There are several more, but the one thing that ties all of them together is the understanding that baptism is necessary to be born again and the baptism must be requested by the one being baptized with cognizant belief.

This means that we don't recognize that your parents 'had' you baptized as a very young child or infant. Yes, you will find, beyond that there can be some differences in what they teach. Some are extremely strict in applying the 'law' and can be fairly condemning of those that they don't feel are living according to the law. As a Gideon, I have run into many here in S.C. that are fairly condemning of anyone who would use anything but the KJ translation of the Scriptures in their study and reading. Some can be very 'prim and proper' in their requirements of dress, (men wear suits and women wear dresses).

The Baptist denomination, as regards each individual fellowship, allows for autonomy for each fellowship. There is no overarching assembly or committee that assigns teachers, preachers and leaders. This is one of the reasons that you find some differences from fellowship to fellowship. Personally, I think it a good thing, but yes, it does mean that you can't just walk into any Baptist fellowship and expect everything to be just like it is at the one you might attend.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Reactions: Guru03
Upvote 0

Larry Smart

Aug 7, 2015
✟7,808.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Larry,

As I understand it, southern Baptist is a subset of the 'baptist' denomination. There are several. Just a short list off the top of my head would be 'independent' Baptist, 'freewill' Baptist, 'missionary' Baptist, 'full gospel' Baptist. There are several more, but the one thing that ties all of them together is the understanding that baptism is necessary to be born again and the baptism must be requested by the one being baptized with cognizant belief.

This means that we don't recognize that your parents 'had' you baptized as a very young child or infant. Yes, you will find, beyond that there can be some differences in what they teach. Some are extremely strict in applying the 'law' and can be fairly condemning of those that they don't feel are living according to the law. As a Gideon, I have run into many here in S.C. that are fairly condemning of anyone who would use anything but the KJ translation of the Scriptures in their study and reading. Some can be very 'prim and proper' in their requirements of dress, (men wear suits and women wear dresses).

The Baptist denomination, as regards each individual fellowship, allows for autonomy for each fellowship. There is no overarching assembly or committee that assigns teachers, preachers and leaders. This is one of the reasons that you find some differences from fellowship to fellowship. Personally, I think it a good thing, but yes, it does mean that you can't just walk into any Baptist fellowship and expect everything to be just like it is at the one you might attend.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Ted - I appreciate the information. You have been very kind to help me.
God Bless

Upvote 0

Travelers.Soul

Traveler; Dreamer; Warrior; Coffee lover
Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Southern Baptist is a denomination. I can point to the Baptist Faith and Message as the basics for the faith of any Southern Baptist Church. If they are not agreeing to this, it seems as though they should be removed from the denomination. What type of service they have or whether they have women deacons has nothing to do with a defined Southern Baptist Church.

Now I agree that there is a wide variety of Southern Baptists and it requires being selective when going to them. I would not go to a church with a woman pastor. I'm probably wouldn't go to one with a woman deacon, because the odds are they are quite progressive (music style doesn't equate to how progressive a church is).

^ This pretty much explains it. I would add that the view of a church's autonomy, held by Southern Baptists, is what allows one Southern Baptist Church to differ from another of the same denomination. Southern Baptist Churches that are a part of the Southern Baptist Convention all claim adherence to the Baptist Faith and Message.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larry Smart
Upvote 0

Larry Smart

Aug 7, 2015
✟7,808.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
^ This pretty much explains it. I would add that the view of a church's autonomy, held by Southern Baptists, is what allows one Southern Baptist Church to differ from another of the same denomination but Southern Baptist Churches that are a part of the Southern Baptist Convention all claim adherence to the Baptist Faith and Message.

What you say makes perfect sense to me. I read the Baptist Faith and Message again. I interpret scripture to say women are not to lead the men, teach men, and should not be deacons. I previously thought that was included in the Faith and Message. However, it says women are not to be pastors of the churches and leaves it at that. I am a Southern Baptist, but I think the Faith and Message may be wrong on this.

As you were kind enough to point out the churches' do have autonomy. Our church is more conservative than most and do not have women in the above mentioned positions. We have women teaching women and children classes. My wife has told me these women do an excellent job.

God Bless

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since this thread is about Southern Baptists, people should be aware that the First Baptist Church of Greenville, South Carolina (a Southern Baptist church) has fully endorsed homosexuality and transgenderism for both individuals and clergy. Who knows how many will now follow like lemmings.

Reactions: Ryan Kuselov
Upvote 0

Larry Smart

Aug 7, 2015
✟7,808.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Since this thread is about Southern Baptists, people should be aware that the First Baptist Church of Greenville, South Carolina (a Southern Baptist church) has fully endorsed homosexuality and transgenderism for both individuals and clergy. Who knows how many will now follow like lemmings.

I cannot imagine this atrocity occurring in our local Southern Baptist Church. But then, I never would have though it would happen in any Southern Baptist Church. If you don't mind, can you please tell me how you learned about this? I cannot support any entity, such as the SBC, if this is allowed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Short Timer

Aug 19, 2015
✟8,677.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What you say makes perfect sense to me. I read the Baptist Faith and Message again. I interpret scripture to say women are not to lead the men, teach men, and should not be deacons. I previously thought that was included in the Faith and Message. However, it says women are not to be pastors of the churches and leaves it at that. I am a Southern Baptist, but I think the Faith and Message may be wrong on this.

Here's the passages that belief comes from.
1Co 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

1Ti 2:11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

Everything in this world is patterned after, or prefigures, something Spiritual, which is why Jesus compared natural things to spiritual things to help people understand.
The Church is the "Bride of Christ", imagine the church trying to tell/teach Jesus, the Husband, what to do, and him having no authority over "His bride".
We know how that would end, but this same pattern of Jesus being the "head" of his bride is the same pattern for the man being the "head" of his family.
The Bride of Christ is suppose to give birth to children, born again believers, but that is only possible with a "man", spiritually, that would be Jesus, but the natural pattern would require a "man" as Pastor as well.
Same sex, woman pastor/Bride of Christ can't give birth, nature teaches that, and so does the pattern in scripture.

As you were kind enough to point out the churches' do have autonomy. Our church is more conservative than most and do not have women in the above mentioned positions. We have women teaching women and children classes. My wife has told me these women do an excellent job.

God Bless

The lady who teaches women at our church could rightly be described as a "Bible expert".
Women definitely have an important role in church, after all, without them a "Savior" wouldn't have been born. :clap:

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I cannot imagine this atrocity occurring in our local Southern Baptist Church. But then, I never would have though it would happen in any Southern Baptist Church. If you don't mind, can you please tell me how you learned about this? I cannot support any entity, such as the SBC, if this is allowed.
See below:
http://www.charismanews.com/us/51020-first-baptist-church-to-ordain-gay-transgender-ministers
http://www.christianpost.com/news/b...tion-of-gay-and-transgender-ministers-142997/

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Here's the passages that belief comes from.
1Co 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

1Ti 2:11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

Everything in this world is patterned after, or prefigures, something Spiritual, which is why Jesus compared natural things to spiritual things to help people understand.
The Church is the "Bride of Christ", imagine the church trying to tell/teach Jesus, the Husband, what to do, and him having no authority over "His bride".
We know how that would end, but this same pattern of Jesus being the "head" of his bride is the same pattern for the man being the "head" of his family.
The Bride of Christ is suppose to give birth to children, born again believers, but that is only possible with a "man", spiritually, that would be Jesus, but the natural pattern would require a "man" as Pastor as well.
Same sex, woman pastor/Bride of Christ can't give birth, nature teaches that, and so does the pattern in scripture.

The lady who teaches women at our church could rightly be described as a "Bible expert".
Women definitely have an important role in church, after all, without them a "Savior" wouldn't have been born. :clap:
Speaking of the Bride of Christ
Rev 21:9
And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lambs wife.
Rev 21:10
And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God.

There are a lot of people that believe that the Church the Body of Christ is the bride of Christ, when scripture very plainly says differently. It makes for good preaching, but there is no truth in it.

Upvote 0

Larry Smart

Aug 7, 2015
✟7,808.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I read an article about this and the article I read said, "a FORMER Southern Baptist Church"......

Upvote 0

Short Timer

Aug 19, 2015
✟8,677.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Greenville split from the SBC in the early 1990s, and is now a member of the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship.

Evidently, they left "US" because they were not of "US" a long time ago,

and today we see how far down they have "fallen".

1Jo 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Short Timer

Aug 19, 2015
✟8,677.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Speaking of the Bride of Christ
Rev 21:9
And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lambs wife.
Rev 21:10
And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God.

There are a lot of people that believe that the Church the Body of Christ is the bride of Christ, when scripture very plainly says differently. It makes for good preaching, but there is no truth in it.

Joh 3:29 He that hath the bride is the bridegroom:

Mt 25:6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.

Mt 25:10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. (Rapture)

God was married to Israel,
Jesus is married to the church.

But to be saved, Jew/Gentile must be married to Jesus. (Born again)

Ro 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, (Jews) ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

Upvote 0

Travelers.Soul

Traveler; Dreamer; Warrior; Coffee lover
Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

I believe they were kicked out of the SBC.

Upvote 0

Larry Smart

Aug 7, 2015
✟7,808.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I believe they were kicked out of the SBC.

The idea that a Baptist Church in cooperation with the SBC would have such a view on homosexuality really disturbed me. I contacted SBC today and will share in part what I learned. To be a church in cooperation with the SBC, that church has to be identify closely with the SBC's adopted state of faith. Example, " churches which act to affirm, approve, or endorse homosexual behavior would be deemed not to be in cooperation with the convention."

Upvote 0

Short Timer

Aug 19, 2015
✟8,677.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The idea that a Baptist Church in cooperation with the SBC would have such a view on homosexuality really disturbed me. I contacted SBC today and will share in part what I learned. To be a church in cooperation with the SBC, that church has to be identify closely with the SBC's adopted state of faith. Example, " churches which act to affirm, approve, or endorse homosexual behavior would be deemed not to be in cooperation with the convention."

2Th 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him, (Rapture)

2Th 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first,

It's to be expected just as prophesied.
When this antichrist (AC) comes many people will believe he is the "Messiah", but people will have to be in a "mental state", such as falling away from God, for them to believe the "lie".

Joh 5:43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not:
(as being the Messiah)

if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.
(as being the Messiah)

Just one more of the many "signs" we're at the "end of time".

I tell people we're so close, it's foolishness to buy a full tank of gas or a week's worth of groceries. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
✟15,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I keep reading about "Southern Baptist" as if it is a denomination. Many churches are listed on the Southern Baptist Convention website, but the churches differ greatly. Some have tradition services and others have gone to extreme "progressive" services (almost like a rock concert). Some have female deacons while others follow scripture for church leaders. My point is that when you hear someone say they attend a southern baptist church remember that includes a wide range of churches. If someone sees it differently, I would appreciate you setting me straight.

They are certainly a denomination, because on many occasions they are in the news for the latest edict that they pass down to their churches. The churches are pseudo independent because they do pretty much what they want, they are a part of the convention and I think that they can't leave the convention without giving up their building because the denomination owns it (I may be wrong there). I do know that the pastors and missionaries receive there retirement plans from the convention and the missionaries are paid by the convention as well.

Upvote 0