Near Chicago
✟604.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi. I will try to be brief. Im posting here for a couple of reason. First my wife of nearly 35 yrs and I are thinking about attending a baptist church of for the first time.(we have been sporadic at best with our church attendance over the years). The second reason is I was doing some research and read about the Baptist belief of Soul Liberty (or competency). Also separation of church and state.
So the question is are these concepts still a core belief in most Baptist churches?
It is a very big part of the appeal of the church we are thinking about attending.
Both my wife and I are very saddened about the constant bickering about church doctrine. We both know people (including our own adult children) who simply don't talk about their faith or have abandoned formal religious practice due to the perceived animosity and anger among Christians.

(I welcome and appreciate any answers, however I won't be commenting further as to not be seen to be debating or disagreeing.)

Thanks.

Last edited:

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have never heard of "soul liberty" in my many years as a Christian, so one might need to ask the church place where you go to explain it. If it means baptism saves the soul that is not true to the Bible; for baptism is to honor the Lord by taking a stand with Him against the unbelieving world, and a first step to seek conformity to God's truth. For a true "born again" believer in Christ, baptism is also honoring the Lord by submitting to His lordship over that one as he/she seeks to live fully for Him. We surely are not saved by works we can do ---right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0