Jun 27, 2015
✟38,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have been struggling with a feeling of pressure to commit to a lot of activities but wanting a break from the pressure. Visiting my special needs brother every week and going to church 4 times a week and working a full time job and going to the fitness center three times a week feels like too much all together.

To explain about my brother, he lives at a care center and has severe autism and little speech. He used to have at least 3 visits every week when he lived near my parents but moved over an hour away to another care center and visits dropped to once a week. I relocated to the city / area where he lives so it is easier for me to visit and he does an activity bag with puzzles, children’s books, toys, a snack and drink, and music to dance to each time we visit. The whole visit time living closer to him takes about two hours including driving time to his location.

I am thinking it would be helpful to visit him every week after work in addition to my mom’s visit on the weekend, but it isn’t real easy because I have to set my alarm an hour earlier to go to work earlier so I can leave earlier so my visit can be earlier enough to not go over into his supper time. My brother has been having major behavior problems and I think my visiting him may help him. Maybe I am being overly detailed in how much I am describing this but let’s move onto the next thing.
I am currently going to a church on Sunday that is making a big deal about community by encouraging people to join life groups. If I went to one I would be going to church twice a week but I am also having thoughts about going to another church that fits better with my spiritual background but its service times are more inconvenient for my schedule. If I went to this church I might also want to go twice a week to get to the Thursday night worship service. I may just continue to go to the church I’m going to on Sunday but go to the Thursday night worship service at the other church.

So how does it turn into going to church 4 times a week? Well I also have been visiting Celebrate Recovery occasionally which is a 12 step group where you can get a sponsor and work through the steps to get free from addiction. I have only been trying it out, visiting about once a month, but I am thinking it might be good to got to to try to stay in a place of victory over an addiction. I am struggling to know if I really need to do it and if it really works. However, if I did decide to work through the program, I have been told that the real sobriety takes place when attending the step study which is a second Celebrate Recovery meeting on a different day in addition to the main meeting. I have struggled with not liking the small group on the main meeting night where you have to sit through 12 or 13 other people taking a few minutes each to share their struggles. Because of difficulty in my ability to concentrate and feeling like I don’t have the patience to wait through small group, I am uncertain if I actually want to join the program. I may be able to attend regularly but go to small group once a month if that kind of compromise is possible.

If I seriously attend Celebrate Recovery every week, it is a Christian based recovery group at a church, so that may mean going to church twice a week and feeling like I want to attend the church I go to on Sunday and also a Lifegroup which is a different church than the Celebrate Recovery is held at.

I have been feeling very overwhelmed with the pressure that comes from the idea of attending church four times a week and also visiting my brother every week. Perhaps I could limit it by attending church every Sunday, but making Celebrate recovery my midweek service and not going to the Lifegroup, or just going to church three times a week.

I have read a devotional book that explains that a lot of people are caught up in an overload of activity where people think that more programs and being busy is good, but this devotional book says taking a break from a lot of activity to just spend time with Jesus alone is good. So I am thinking of trying to limit my activity to not be so busy.

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The church in Ephesus in Revelation chapter 2 had many, many, activities. But the Lord Jesus said that they had left their first love.

We cannot lose the first love of loving the Lord Himself for just WHO He is.
The work then becomes not what we DO so much as what we ARE.

Read this:
"To the messenger of the church in Ephesus write: These things says He who holds the seven stars in His right hand, who walks in the midst of the seven golden lampstands:

I know your works and your labor and your endurane, and that you cannot bear evil men; and you have tried those who call themselves apostles and are not and have found them to be false; And you have endurance and have borne because of My name ane have not grown weary."

Pretty good right?

"But I have this against you, that you have left your first love. Remember therefore from whence you have fallen and repent and do the first works . . . "

It is never worth leaving a time with the Lord each day just to love Him for Himself.
It is good to begin each day this way - to have a time when YOU work not but let the Lord WORK Himself into you through your just
exalting Him to have the first place in everything.

Then having the Lord as the first place in everything and loving Him just for Who He is you do as Peter.
He fed the sheep. He brought the helped ones to also love the Lord with this first love.
He did the first works. The Lord told Peter after his denial and restoration - Do you LOVE Me? Feed my sheep.

The first works are to bring others to also have the Lord as the first Love in all things.
The ministry is really always a ministry of a Person - Christ Himself.

Come back to the first love. And a great way to do that is to begin each new day with a short or adaquately long time to just love the Lord Jesus for Himself. This also can result in more effective prayer for others to make your service meaningful rather than just so much busy work.
Do you love your activity more than the Lord Jesus Himself? That leads to burn out.

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have read a devotional book that explains that a lot of people are caught up in an overload of activity where people think that more programs and being busy is good, but this devotional book says taking a break from a lot of activity to just spend time with Jesus alone is good. So I am thinking of trying to limit my activity to not be so busy.
Every MORNING. Or when your day starts. Begin EACH Morning with a time with the Lord.
One day at a time. Begin each day with an adaquate time for confession, reading the word in Spirit, praise, then some intereceding for a few He puts on your heart to pray for.

The real work is Jesus working Himself into us.

Upvote 0

Vanellus

Sep 15, 2014
✟116,215.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's only my humble opinion but I would put your family first. You can serve Christ just as much by serving your family. I was working away from home when my father died so I changed job to live nearer home (so I could drive it at the weekend). Now my mother has died as well I am so glad I did that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0