Sorry, we're all out of primordial soup.

hiscosmicgoldfish

Liberal Anglican
Mar 1, 2008
✟11,767.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I have been looking at mars of late, on google mars. The supposed face on mars is just a big hill, the pyramids are just more hills. There aint no trees, lakes or anything like that on mars. As they have done a good job so far at mapping mars (not so with the moon), we can now, and will be able to more so in future, explore mars for ourselves.

So i was wondering if anyone still has faith that they will find life on the moons of Jupiter, or anywhere else. Or might it be that there really is something special about the earth. We shall see.

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Life, scientifically speaking, are those qualities or conditions that distinguish plants, animals, and so on, from dead inorganic matter. These include at least the capacity for growth, reproduction, respiration, excretion, transformation of matter into energy, etc.

Spiritually speaking it is either of two things…it is that vital animating principle that orders and causes these qualities and conditions or else it refers to living in awareness and being in tune or in union with the purposes and intents of the Creator (and in Christianity this can only be achieved through the work of Christ which allows us to be partakers of the Holy Spirit which quickens our human spirit)

How’s that definition (not perfect but pretty good for the purpose of this thread I think)

Now can there be life elsewhere in this vast creation? Only the creator knows and I dare not limit Him. Is earth special in this regard? At least in all of the universe we can discern at this time. Secondly I do not think the Bible is specific in saying life ONLY exists on earth, but that this is where He placed the first humans (earth being the focus of His story relevant to us and for His purpose for us).

Paul

Upvote 0

hiscosmicgoldfish

Liberal Anglican
Mar 1, 2008
✟11,767.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
the seti program assumes a naturalistic evolution, and so the universe should have all these advanced civs, and yet nobody out there is transmitting any radio etc.
i once read that it is unusual for there to be no life on mars, as there was probably water on the surface at one time, and an atmosphere. and yet not a sausage.
it dosn't really matter that much. i saw some vids on youtube, supposedly showing trees on mars. but they are not there on google mars.

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Martian sausage? Hmmm! Would it be pork beef or smurf? Would it be green like thir humanoids? And besides, the possibility of water does not prove possibility of actual life since Pluto is an iceball and a Disney anime star we never even think of life on PLuto other than anime fleas...

Paul

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I have been looking at mars of late, on google mars. The supposed face on mars is just a big hill, the pyramids are just more hills. There aint no trees, lakes or anything like that on mars. As they have done a good job so far at mapping mars (not so with the moon), we can now, and will be able to more so in future, explore mars for ourselves.

So i was wondering if anyone still has faith that they will find life on the moons of Jupiter, or anywhere else. Or might it be that there really is something special about the earth. We shall see.
If one of NASA's rovers finds a bacteria, how will we know whether it's indigenous or has been brought by the rover itself?

NASA shock: ET from Earth

Yeah, NASA is finding bacteria in their clean rooms. Furthermore, some of them are new species that have never been classified.

The findings were something of a shock for NASA, an agency now forced to wonder exactly how many unknown pathogens have been taken to the moon and Mars.

So what's the world going to be told if one of these things survives the trip and is detected?

Upvote 0

granpa

Noahide/Rationalist
Apr 23, 2007
California
✟3,072.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
primordial soup:

The second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned into blood

The second angel poured out his bowl on the sea, and it turned into blood like that of a dead person

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've heard that the smallest unit of "life" on earth is the cell.

People may think DNA is equivalent to life.

According to the Bible, I would argue that even a certain types of animals are not qualified to be called lives. Plants are certainly not lives. I am not surprised if we found seeds or fossil trees on Mars.

Upvote 0

verysincere

Exegete/Linguist
Jan 18, 2012
Haiti
✟18,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
According to the Bible, I would argue that even a certain types of animals are not qualified to be called lives. Plants are certainly not lives. I am not surprised if we found seeds or fossil trees on Mars.

The semantic domain differences in the vocabulary of Hebrew, Greek, and English associated with life/living are the result of differing cultures and language development. Making categorical distinctions based upon linguistic peculiarities is pointless. A description like "not qualified to be called lives" is confusing the characteristics of a particular language as the basis of some sort of Platonic ideal.

Example: In English, "biological alive" and "spiritually alive" involve much the same vocabulary. In Biblical Hebrew and Greek, this is NOT true. Different words are used because the two categories are NOT both considered to be "life/alive".

A lot of the nonsense espoused from American pulpits arises from a basic ignorance of language and translation---not surprising in a largely monolingual populace.

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
People may think DNA is equivalent to life.
Yeah, I think they might. It's like saying a computer's memory chip is equivalent to an operating computer, but they might.

I'd be surprised. I guess there's no reason God couldn't have created life there, too, but I'd be surprised nonetheless.

Upvote 0

hiscosmicgoldfish

Liberal Anglican
Mar 1, 2008
✟11,767.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Yeah, I think they might. It's like saying a computer's memory chip is equivalent to an operating computer, but they might.

I'd be surprised. I guess there's no reason God couldn't have created life there, too, but I'd be surprised nonetheless.

i think if there was any life on mars, nasa would jump on it. (not literally).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The semantic domain differences in the vocabulary of Hebrew, Greek, and English associated with life/living are the result of differing cultures and language development. Making categorical distinctions based upon linguistic peculiarities is pointless. A description like "not qualified to be called lives" is confusing the characteristics of a particular language as the basis of some sort of Platonic ideal.

Example: In English, "biological alive" and "spiritually alive" involve much the same vocabulary. In Biblical Hebrew and Greek, this is NOT true. Different words are used because the two categories are NOT both considered to be "life/alive".

A lot of the nonsense espoused from American pulpits arises from a basic ignorance of language and translation---not surprising in a largely monolingual populace.

It is simply a definition problem. Could we find alien "life" out there?

Yeah, biology has its definition for what a life is. So do various religions have theirs. Cabbage is certainly not a life to a Buddhist.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I don't think God creates animal/human anywhere outside the earth. (the domain of "animal" need to be carefully set).

Upvote 0

hiscosmicgoldfish

Liberal Anglican
Mar 1, 2008
✟11,767.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Sure would, imo. It seems to me their mission has changed from colonizing space to searching for life.

i'm not sure if they went to the moon, but nasa are hiding something about the moon, there's no doubt about that.
and just look at how rubbish google moon is, after 40 years.

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
i'm not sure if they went to the moon, but nasa are hiding something about the moon, there's no doubt about that.
and just look at how rubbish google moon is, after 40 years.

Ah! Is that why they always hide what's on the other side? Hmmm? Think G Dub'ya is involved in this? I heard it started with Nixon and Capricorn 1 is actually a documentary not a movie...Hmmm?

Paul

Upvote 0