Contributor
Aug 17, 2006
Texas
✟25,839.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
I love the contradiction in your post, trying to claim that Obama is following the Bush Doctrine while at the same time stating that Obama is doing something Bush wasn't. :D

But it isn't the Bush doctrine, the Taliban was seen to have played a major role in 9/11 by providing aid and comfort to Bin Laden and al Qaeda, as well as providing the terrorist camps for terrorist training. The war was originally waged against the Taliban, a war that was never completed. So, Obama is not using the Bush Doctrine, pre-emptively striking a country but rather finishing the war Bush started but never finished so that he could use the Bush Doctrine against Iraq.

The core to the Bush doctrine is premptive attacks to dter or reduce attacks on American soil first interests second.

Obama administartion is right to follow these Bush policies.

Obama mistakes have been going against other Bush policies.

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good thread. Moscow is the Great harlot who sits on 7 hills and many waters.

Nonsense. This is the map of Moscow:

mosmap_b.jpg

As you can see, there is but one body of water, the Moscow River, not "many".

This is Moscow skyline:

panorama1422kr5.jpg

Moscow is not exactly know for its "hills" either, which are notably absent.

You are clearly referring to Auckland, New Zealand, which, unlike poor flat inland one-river Moscow, is truly a city sitting on "many waters", as Auckland straddles the narrow strip of land between two oceans, and which has been built on hills, namely the volcano cones this New Zealand city is famous for. So there. Auckland, New Zealand, is your "Great harlot", unless it is not San Francisco, USA, a city also sitting on hills and many waters. Or Seattle. Or Anchorage. Or Hong Kong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
You are clearly referring to Auckland, New Zealand, which, unlike poor flat inland one-river Moscow, is truly a city sitting on "many waters", as Auckland straddles the narrow strip of land between two oceans, and which has been built on hills, namely the volcano cones this New Zealand city is famous for. So there. Auckland, New Zealand, is your "Great harlot", unless it is not San Francisco, USA, a city also sitting on hills and many waters. Or Seattle. Or Anchorage. Or Hong Kong.

Actually, I seem to recall some non-Catholics state that it is clearly Rome, which really does sit on seven hills.

628px-Seven_Hills_of_Rome.svg.png

Reactions: soblessed53
Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually, I seem to recall some non-Catholics state that it is clearly Rome, which really does sit on seven hills.

Exactly! I have always understood the Great harlot being referred to in scripture is the Roman Catholic Church!

Except Rome, if you look at the map, is not exactly known for a city
sitting on "many waters." As in Moscow, there's but one river
running through the city.

Auckland, NZ, sits literally on those "many waters" Interpreter refers to,
as Auckland is a rarity among world's cities: it straddles a narrow itshmus
between two seas and therefore has harbours on two seperate major
bodies of water. And Auckland sits on those hills, the famous
volcano cones.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

volcano cones.

But I don't see how Auckland sits on 7 hills, rather they sit on an isthmus of land with 50 volcano vents. OTOH, I can easily see how a desert people could see that Rome (which literally is on 7 hills) was built on "many waters" when you take into account the aqueduct system and public fountains that existed at the time the verse was written.

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But I don't see how Auckland sits on 7 hills, rather they sit on an isthmus of land with 50 volcano vents.

Because some of those "volcano vents" are definitely hills, the most well known being One Tree Hill.

And then there's Mount Eden,

Mount Albert,

Mount Victoria,

Mount Hobson,

Mt Roskill,

And Big King

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Because some of those "volcano vents" are definitely hills, the most well known being One Tree Hill.

And then there's Mount Eden,

Mount Albert,

Mount Victoria,

Mount Hobson,

Mt Roskill,

And Big King

First, you have the problem that most of these are in suburbs. Next you have the problem (as I alluded to earlier) that these are not the only hills in Auckland. For example you also have Mount Wellington and Stockade Hill, and we could go on. In fact, Auckland sits on 33 hills, not 7.

P.S. Prague is also famous for sitting on seven hills and is also known for it's many natural springs.

I'll take your word on Prague being on seven hills. I'm not claiming that Rome is the answer, just saying that it is commonly claimed.

Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

volcano cones.

Except Auckland, NZ fits none of this criteria in the book of Revelations chapters 17-18~

"Babylon the Great." Pagan Rome was even referred to as Babylon by the early church fathers.

"The woman is called a ‘harlot’, with whom earthly kings ‘have committed fornication’.

"[The harlot’s] incredible wealth next caught John’s eye. She was ‘decked with gold and precious stones and pearls.

Sheds the Blood of Saints-John next notices that the woman is drunk—not with alcohol but with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus.Finally, the angel reveals that the woman ‘is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth’.

Upvote 0

Sojourner1

Following my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2004
California
✟498,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mod Hat On​

Thread closed.

5. Op-Ed, blog, and Commentary pieces are NOT news or current events. NCE threads should not be opened with Op-Ed, blog, or Commentary pieces - but they can be used to supplement a given discussion.

6. Posts not related to news and current events will be deleted or moved to the appropriate forum at the discretion of the staff.

7. The OP of all threads should be based on a news or current event article and include a link to the article. The only exception to this guideline is for "breaking news". A promise of a link to the breaking news story should be given in the OP and added as soon as there is one.

8. Only use the title of the article for a thread title. If the article title is a rule violation of any CF rule, staff has the discretion to edit the thread title. Also note that if the article title is inflammatory or otherwise offensive, and the thread itself becomes rife with rules violations, those posts will be subject to staff action and the thread may be permanently closed.

Mod Hat Off​

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.