Contributor
Aug 17, 2006
Texas
✟25,839.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
AFP/File – Russian soldiers guard a checkpoint near the Georgian village of Khurvaleti in 2008. Russian President …
MOSCOW (AFP) – President Dmitry Medvedev on Tuesday announced a "large-scale" rearmament and renewal of Russia's nuclear arsenal, accusing NATO of pushing ahead with expansion near Russian borders.
Meeting defence chiefs in Moscow, Medvedev said he was determined to implement reforms to streamline Russia's bloated military and stressed Moscow continued to face several security threats needing robust defense capacity.
"From 2011, a large-scale rearmament of the army and navy will begin," Medvedev said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090317/ts_afp/russianatomilitarynuclear

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh great. Yet another chicken little thread by Carey...

The Russian military: "Don't expect any new equipment for two years. Modernization will begin in 2011."

Looks like the Russian Minister of Defense Serdyukov is looking at shrinking Russian's conventional force by several hundred thousand (perhaps as many as 200,000 or more officer billets), thus making the Russian military more expeditionary and not so focused as in the past on taking on NATO.

Yes, I'm shaking in my boots, I so am. :doh:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Matthewj1985

Oct 7, 2008
Texas
✟1,669.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Oh great. Yet another chicken little thread by Carey...

The Russian military: "Don't expect any new equipment for two years. Modernization will begin in 2011."

Looks like the Russian Minister of Defense Serdyukov is looking at shrinking Russian's conventional force by several hundred thousand (perhaps as many as 200,000 or more officer billets), thus making the Russian military more expeditionary and not so focused as in the past on taking on NATO.

Yes, I'm shaking in my boots, I so am. :doh:

Perhaps since oil is so cheap right now (remember the Russian government controls the largest oil exporter in the country) they are doing what we should be doing and cutting back on massively bloated military expenditures.

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps since oil is so cheap right now (remember the Russian government controls the largest oil exporter in the country) they are doing what we should be doing and cutting back on massively bloated military expenditures.

Except I don't think Russia had this problem of "massively bloated military expenditures" to begin with. Looks more like the Russian side's realization that future wars are not going to be between two superpowers or two superior military alliances but more like asymmetrical a la Iraq and Afghanistan.

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think some of you missed this part :confused:

Russian President …
MOSCOW (AFP) – President Dmitry Medvedev on Tuesday announced a "large-scale" rearmament and renewal of Russia's nuclear arsenal

Why do they feel they need to do thta??

Because the Russians realize that future wars are not likely going to be between superpowers or equal military alliances, i.e. armed-to-teeth traditional man-power armies, but more likely asymmetrical wars a la Iraq or Afghanistan where a small, rather rudimentary and medieval insurgency of a mere few thousand fighters will be able to keep a large, modern traditional gadget-heavy army of hundreds of thousands bogged down forever.

Upvote 0

Carey

Contributor
Aug 17, 2006
Texas
✟25,839.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
Because the Russians realize that future wars are not likely going to be between superpowers or equal military alliances, i.e. armed-to-teeth traditional man-power armies, but more likely asymmetrical wars a la Iraq or Afghanistan where a small, rather rudimentary and medieval insurgency of a mere few thousand fighters will be able to keep a large, modern traditional gadget-heavy army of hundreds of thousands bogged down forever.

So why does that make Russia think they need more NUkes??

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kalevalatar

Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So why does that make Russia think they need more NUkes??

For the very same reason that the Bush administration felt the United States of America needs more and more and more shiny-new nukes, I imagine, because the old nukes are viewed to be, you know, kind of old, antiquated for the current 21st century situation. For years now, the Russian Armed Forces have made do with repairing and re-repairing old Soviet-era equipment. Now President Medvedev seems to be saying that enough is enough, the old equipment is beyond repair and it's about time the Russian Armed Forces finally starts buying it new.

Upvote 0

Carey

Contributor
Aug 17, 2006
Texas
✟25,839.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
For the very same reason that the Bush administration felt the United States of America needs more and more and more shiny-new nukes, I imagine, because the old nukes are viewed to be, you know, kind of old, antiquated for the current 21st century situation. For years now, the Russian Armed Forces have made do with repairing and re-repairing old Soviet-era equipment. Now President Medvedev seems to be saying that enough is enough, the old equipment is beyond repair and it's about time the Russian Armed Forces finally starts buying it new.

Well if they are taking the Good man Bush strategy then I agree they are correct.

But if they are leaning toward the pentagon strategy and Russia has always been more miltant influenced government I think they are then they will be bring on the neceassary return of Christ ;)

And although the Bush administration has so far made little progress in promoting the development of "mini nukes" that could be used against enemy forces, the influential Defence Science Board that advises the Pentagon has thrown its weight behind them.
In a leaked report, due to be tabled in the next few months, the board urges the development of lower-yield weapons that would have more battlefield "credibility" than the more powerful current nuclear bombs.
The rationale of the pro-nuclear supporters is clear: After Sept. 11, America is fighting an unpredictable enemy that must be attacked and eradicated by any possible means.
"As seen in Afghanistan, conventional weapons are not always able to destroy underground targets," said the Armed Services Committee, which backed the new nuclear policy.
"The United States may need nuclear earth penetrators (bunker-busters) to destroy underground facilities where rogue nations have stored chemical, biological or nuclear weapons."
Keith Payne, the Pentagon's civilian liaison with the U.S. Strategic Command, which plans how a nuclear war could be fought, has for a decade promoted the idea of usable nukes.
Payne believes the lessons of the 1991 Gulf War included the discovery that Scud missiles might elude attack. In a 1999 paper on the future of American nuclear weapons, he wrote: "If the locations of dispersed mobile launchers cannot be determined with enough precision to permit pinpoint strikes, suspected deployment areas might be subjected to multiple nuclear strikes."
Other pro-nuclear theorists say a new generation of fightable nukes might have a deterrent effect on the kind of enemies America now faces: guerrilla groups and unpredictable terrorists.
"All we have left is nuclear use and pre-emption, so that something a little bigger, with a little more bite, does not emerge as the next threat against our security and values," says Barry Zellen, publisher of the electronic security bulletin, SecureFrontiers.com.
"Our willingness to go beyond deterrence to a more pro-active strategy of nuclear use might just end up achieving what we wanted in the beginning: successful deterrence of further aggression and terror against us, now and in the future."
However, experts say, usable nukes would be far from environmentally safe
"What Bush has done is emphasize that there are not only bad weapons out there, but bad people with bad weapons.
"Then, the line becomes blurred, because he's implying that responsible states are entitled to possess and even use the same kinds of weapons.
"In fact, these are all weapons of mass terror, and we should never forget that."

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/1116-11.htm

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I believe 2012 is very a important date for visible reasons. But so was 2000 and then 2001 when people understood that the new millenium actually didn't start til 2001.

Any there's plenty of dates to choose from and any one with some kind of historical significance can be picked. How about 2030 or 2033. Errr wait shouldn't that be 2031 and 2034?

Anyhow go pick a date then scrummage around the world news to support an idea which involves a big world effecting issue. People will be interested and pay attention.

And when all is said and done, its' probably the date that everybody doesn't see, will be the one that gets YOU!!!!! :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Wisdom Seeker~

INFP the Healer
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2003
U.S.A.
✟56,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
*snip
And when all is said and done, its' probably the date that everybody doesn't see, will be the one that gets YOU!!!!! :D
:D Good point. And, I'm sure that can be corroborated by the unfortunate soul who gets hit by a bus tomorrow.

:prayer: it's not me.

Upvote 0

~Wisdom Seeker~

INFP the Healer
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2003
U.S.A.
✟56,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why does it seem like I am hearing these "scares" from the same people who previously spread the "scare" of Nostradamus' prophecies? Seems like there is always some new "prophecy" that conspiracy theorists interpret to predict doom and gloom.
I don't know Maren. :D

I think the point is, there really isn't much any of us can do if it's our time to go. If our number's up, it's up.

So yeah, worrying about it, isn't going to change anything.

Still, it's interesting to consider and discuss, the notion that we humans are not in control...and maybe, just maybe...there is some unseen, unfathomable force at work...that is.

Upvote 0

Carey

Contributor
Aug 17, 2006
Texas
✟25,839.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
I find this subject... creepy.

The only think I'm going to say in rebuttal to the above is, The Bush Administration is no more.

Hey, isn't this thread supposed to be about the Mayan calendar and the supposed "end of the world"? :D

Maybe the Mayan visions were visions of what appeared to be the end of the world to them. After all they were ancient people seeing the distant future and their visions did not come from God.

It also appears the Obama administration is using the Bush Doctrine already.

Obama's preemptive strikes in Pakistan/Afghanistan look like naked provocation

Mar-04-09 12:20 AM

U.S. takes fight to Taliban leader

PESHAWAR, Pakistan | Unmanned aircraft have begun targeting Pakistani Taliban leader Baitullah Mehsud, a shift in strategy by the Obama administration that may reflect efforts to pre-empt a Taliban spring offensive against U.S. forces in Afghanistan.

The U.S. military avoided hitting Mr. Mehsud's forces in 2007 and 2008, during the Bush administration,

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x5180713

Upvote 0

~Wisdom Seeker~

INFP the Healer
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2003
U.S.A.
✟56,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I don't know about the Meyan's visions, or them not being from God. I tend to be of the mind that God's in control in every aspect of humanity in some way or other. But...it need not be debated. It was just an end date to their calendar from what I understand, and not actually a prophesy that the world would end. (as far as I know, that emphasis was added as a contemporary interpretation of what it means. Because nobody really knows what it was meant to mean, because the Meyan civilization was killed off by Spain. It was Spain, wasn't it? :scratch: )

And, as far as the Bush administration, it is over. Yes, the new Obama administration doesn't have a clean slate to work with. And yes, change isn't going to be accomplished in a couple of months. (I mean, let's be real)

But, I guess I have more of a hopeful outlook than a doomsday one. I don't happen to believe everything I read (here or anywhere). I figure, I am not in control, but I believe God is. So... I have to go about my daily life trying not to worry too much and trust that I'll be okay. Or if I'm not, that it won't make any difference to me then.

But, knowledge is the key to understanding. So, thanks for the info and your opinion. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Maybe the Mayan visions were visions of what appeared to be the end of the world to them. After all they were ancient people seeing the distant future and their visions did not come from God.

It also appears the Obama administration is using the Bush Doctrine already.

Obama's preemptive strikes in Pakistan/Afghanistan look like naked provocation

Mar-04-09 12:20 AM

U.S. takes fight to Taliban leader

PESHAWAR, Pakistan | Unmanned aircraft have begun targeting Pakistani Taliban leader Baitullah Mehsud, a shift in strategy by the Obama administration that may reflect efforts to pre-empt a Taliban spring offensive against U.S. forces in Afghanistan.

The U.S. military avoided hitting Mr. Mehsud's forces in 2007 and 2008, during the Bush administration,

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x5180713

I love the contradiction in your post, trying to claim that Obama is following the Bush Doctrine while at the same time stating that Obama is doing something Bush wasn't. :D

But it isn't the Bush doctrine, the Taliban was seen to have played a major role in 9/11 by providing aid and comfort to Bin Laden and al Qaeda, as well as providing the terrorist camps for terrorist training. The war was originally waged against the Taliban, a war that was never completed. So, Obama is not using the Bush Doctrine, pre-emptively striking a country but rather finishing the war Bush started but never finished so that he could use the Bush Doctrine against Iraq.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.