Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
This question came to me in the General theology on a thread about Job.

I don't know if that is a correct title for my questions, but here I go.

Some folks seem to imply that they think that because God allows evil, He is guilty of evil. Why? Is it because we consider it a sin of omission if we, ourselves, allow evil? Is it wise for us to dare to compare our condition with a Holy and righteous God?

It seems wrong to me to dare question God with our very limited understanding on good, evil, holiness, and righteousness.

I guess this might delve into a repeat of a million other threads on the question of evil.

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Some folks seem to imply that they think that because God allows evil, He is guilty of evil. Why? Is it because we consider it a sin of omission if we, ourselves, allow evil? Is it wise for us to dare to compare our condition with a Holy and righteous God?

It seems wrong to me to dare question God with our very limited understanding on good, evil, holiness, and righteousness.

I guess this might delve into a repeat of a million other threads on the question of evil.
God's standards determine what is good & what is evil. I've always thought that Esau did not do anything too bad but God saw it as evil. Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.

When our children become adults they have free will to do as they like - if we do not like the way they behave we can choose not have any fellowship with them. Because God allows people to behave according to their free will, it does not mean he condones what they do.

If God had struck Hitler dead before he came to power, could the suffering of WW11 been avoided? Possibly, but God was with those who did suffer and who looked to Him, as demonstrated by Corrie ten Boom's experiences in The Hiding Place.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear ChristsSoldier. May I go straight to the point, God does NOT allow evil. Christ tells us in Matthew 22: 35-40:
" The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself." God is Love and God wants our love, freely given and NO conditions made. We all know that we are allowed anything which is from LOVE, and God wants it from us. God will not forgive us if we ignore love and commit loveless deeds. Our Heavenly Father is Love and all things truly loveable. I say this with love, ChristsSoldier. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's beyond me why people think that. Try to understand what God thinks through Scripture, though—sometimes we need to shut out some humans' opinions and reasoning. It is a sin to pass judgment on God. If anyone thinks God is failing to meet our standard, they've made two errors: Any standard imagined by a human is corrupt. It's why we have to learn Scripture to know God. Also, thinking God is supposed to meet that standard is foolish and arbitrary (every human has a different standard). Also, it is not always a sin to not act to stop evil. It is a sin to do nothing when the Holy Spirit wants you to act. A human has limitations. Everyone is "failing" to contribute to the fight against all the evils in the news.
God's standards determine what is good & what is evil.
I agree, but it is more precise to say it is God's nature that defines good and evil.
May I go straight to the point, God does NOT allow evil.
God does allow evil. Just look at the condition of the earth. However, he never does evil and he never approves of what is evil.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It seems that the actions we choose do have inherent consequences. Even not choosing or acting is an action.
There are certain inactions that will forever seem to be unjustifiable from the limited human perspective.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

Not wise. Not just because it's impious, but because its a category error.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Christian brothers and sisters. When I said that God does not allow Evil, I meant what I said. God does never allow Evil, God is Love. Would Love allow Evil?? Evil comes from Satan, who is the evil One. We might think sometimes that Evil will deter Evil, but Evil will only stay away from Love and Compassion. We do live in an evil world, and Satan is its leader. Would more Evil drive Evil away?
The Bible tells us: " Repent and be Born Again," shed all evil thoughts and wishes. Let us learn to love and care, and be kind and forgiving if needs be. We might stumble and forget at times, but then we ask God to forgive us and carry on being loving and caring, kind and friendly always. The Holy Sprit will help and guide us, and Jesus our Saviour will lead us al the way: JESUS IS THE WAY. Let us ignore all sins, and be as God our Heavenly Father wants us to be. A Christian will ignore ALL SINS. I say this with love, dear Christian brothers and sisters. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Reactions: Stillicidia
Upvote 0

Stillicidia

Revanche Flower
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2016
Mystic Meadows
✟11,021.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Constitution

There is a spot that we should be on, with the commands of Jesus from Matthew 5-7 It can be a little hard to find roost there, but it is all too necessary. Righteousness is moral uprightness. Combine these two, and develop therein.

Upvote 0

daughterofthemosthigh7

AGE 52 and as if our votes matter!
Aug 2, 2016
Texas
✟15,242.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
God sees from an eternal perspective-- sometimes it's harder for us to while we are still here and experienceing difficulties & trying times-- and concerning those who belong to Him-- yes i do believe He allows the devil sometimes to have his way-- & as in Joseph's case what they meant for his harm God turned it into something good-- God knew this ahead of time-- that's why He sometimes allows trials, to produce something greater and of eternal lasting value in us although we might find it hard and almost intolerable at the time as long as we place full trust in Him & His Will for us He will make a way-- He won't ever forsake us & He is always many steps ahead of the enemy and he's still that stupid to figure it out too-- Praise you Lord Jesus!
Genesis 50:20 KJV

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ravindraneee

Aug 25, 2013
New Jersey, USA
✟15,818.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think these are things which we do not understand and God alone knows, in His infinite wisdom. Someone could argue, God could have destroyed satan before creating mankind. Why does He allow satan to even exist? Allowing existence of satan is the result of all the sin in this world.
It is also an incorrect argument to says God is guilty of evil, by drawing comparison to sins of omission. We should remember God is the moral law Giver and He is above moral law. We do not measure God against moral law given by Him. In a school, rules and regulations for students are not the same for teachers and people in authority. While there would be some things in common, the giver of rules are not bound by the rules itself. The rules were given specifically for the students to be bound by them. Not as a measure for students. I know it is a poor analogy :) But I don't know how else to convey this

Upvote 0