Should you be financially responsible for agreements other people make?

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
What financial responsibility means is basically a form of slavery. You have to work to pay someone else for something you never agreed to. Taxes in all forms fit this definition, unless you vote for a tax increase.
And on top you have to keep to all those laws that you have never agreed to.
:doh:

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
And on top you have to keep to all those laws that you have never agreed to.
:doh:

If you didn't make a living off of tax dollars would you feel the same? (Its an intuition I have about you. If its wrong don't humor it with a reply.) I'm guessing you are a professor of some kind as your comments are well reasoned but lacking a certain pragmatism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A

Awesome_Frog

What financial responsibility means is basically a form of slavery.
Only if you stretch the meaning of slavery until the term looses its actual merit. Slavery is where your freedoms are taken from you and work purely for another benefit through force. This is not the case here.

You have to work to pay someone else for something you never agreed to.
Actually, if you choose to enter the work force or any kind in the United States, a person usually has been through primary school and secondary school, where it is taught that taxation is a part of the equation, and how to change it.

Taxes in all forms fit this definition, unless you vote for a tax increase.
This is false, because there are ways to not pay certain taxes and it is made clear how to change this from the standpoint of education.

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Only if you stretch the meaning of slavery until the term looses its actual merit. Slavery is where your freedoms are taken from you and work purely for another benefit through force. This is not the case here.

Actually, if you choose to enter the work force or any kind in the United States, a person usually has been through primary school and secondary school, where it is taught that taxation is a part of the equation, and how to change it.

This is false, because there are ways to not pay certain taxes and it is made clear how to change this from the standpoint of education.

How does a high school graduate apply what they learned to avoid paying taxes they don't agree with? Apply your reasoning if you can.

Upvote 0

Spiritlight

✰•.¸¸★•*´¨`*•.¸.✰
Apr 1, 2011
manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you enjoy the land you live in pay tax to keep it as those who lived before you also did. The wage slaves of the past built the land of the present.

Read proverbs chapter 6 in relation to this it talks about it. When you cheat on tax you remove the ability to pay pensioners and underprivileged people in society.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A

Awesome_Frog

How does a high school graduate apply what they learned to avoid paying taxes they don't agree with?
Vote for a representative that represents the ideology the person wants. Run for office with a platform for limited taxation.

Apply your reasoning if you can.
It seems that my reasoning is being tossed out, while you are shoving words in my mouth. :p

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What financial responsibility means is basically a form of slavery. You have to work to pay someone else for something you never agreed to. Taxes in all forms fit this definition, unless you vote for a tax increase.
This morning I was awoken by my alarm clock, powered by electricity generated by the public power monopoly regulated by the US Department of Energy. I then took a shower in the clean water provided by the municipal water utility. After that, I turned on the TV to one of the FCC regulated channels to see what the National Weather Service of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration determined the weather was going to be like using satellites designed, built, and launched by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. I watch this while eating my breakfast of US Department of Agriculture inspected food and taking the drugs which have been determined as safe by the Food and Drug Administration.

At the appropriate time as regulated by the US Congress, and kept accurate by the National Institute of Standards and Technology and the US Naval Observatory, I get into my National Highway Traffic Safety Administration approved automobile and set out to work on the roads built by the local, state, and federal Departments of Transportation, possibly stopping to purchase additional fuel of a quality level determined by the Environmental Protection Agency, using legal tender issued by the Federal Reserve Bank. On the way out the door, I deposit any mail I have to be sent out via the US Postal Service and drop the kids off at the public school.

After work, I drive my NHTSA car back home on DOT roads, to a house which has not burned down in my absence because of the state and local building codes and Fire Marshal’s inspection, and which has not been plundered of all its valuables thanks to the local police department.

I then log on to the internet which was developed by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Administration and post on Christian Forums how taxes are slavery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
If you didn't make a living off of tax dollars would you feel the same? (Its an intuition I have about you. If its wrong don't humor it with a reply.)
Why not? Because you don´t want to know when your intuition fails you?
1. I am not American. Make this tax euros.
2. I am a private, self-employed teacher and musician.
I'm guessing you are a professor of some kind as your comments are well reasoned but lacking a certain pragmatism.
You´ve got that wrong. The very point of my comment was actually that your idea of a modern society without taxes completely lacks practicability.

Upvote 0

Aryn9189

allons-y
Aug 19, 2011
Germany
✟7,696.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Taxes are essential to a functioning society. It's like any other service: you pay a monthly bill to have cable television, you pay a monthly insurance premium, etc. You pay taxes to have all of the things morningstar2651 mentioned: clean water, good roads, safe food and medicine. It's one's duty as a citizen, of whatever country you're in, to help pay for those things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
M

MattRose

This morning I was awoken by my alarm clock, powered by electricity generated by the public power monopoly regulated by the US Department of Energy. I then took a shower in the clean water provided by the municipal water utility. After that, I turned on the TV to one of the FCC regulated channels to see what the National Weather Service of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration determined the weather was going to be like using satellites designed, built, and launched by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. I watch this while eating my breakfast of US Department of Agriculture inspected food and taking the drugs which have been determined as safe by the Food and Drug Administration.

At the appropriate time as regulated by the US Congress, and kept accurate by the National Institute of Standards and Technology and the US Naval Observatory, I get into my National Highway Traffic Safety Administration approved automobile and set out to work on the roads built by the local, state, and federal Departments of Transportation, possibly stopping to purchase additional fuel of a quality level determined by the Environmental Protection Agency, using legal tender issued by the Federal Reserve Bank. On the way out the door, I deposit any mail I have to be sent out via the US Postal Service and drop the kids off at the public school.

After work, I drive my NHTSA bar back home on DOT roads, to a house which has not burned down in my absence because of the state and local building codes and Fire Marshal’s inspection, and which has not been plundered of all its valuables thanks to the local police department.

I then log on to the internet which was developed by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Administration and post on Christian Forums how taxes are slavery.

I bet tea partiers avoid you like the plague. You take all the fun outta complaining about taxes being too high.

Upvote 0

Ar Cosc

I only exist on the internet
Jul 12, 2010
Scotland
✟3,511.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Taxes are in place for the good of society, just like the laws against murder, theft, rape, and arson. Just because you don't personally agree with them doesn't mean they constitute slavery.

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I bet tea partiers avoid you like the plague. You take all the fun outta complaining about taxes being too high.
I "enjoy" paying taxes just as much as everyone else... but I understand that these taxes are necessary for things I use every day - things that most people would take for granted until they didn't have it anymore.

The "best" solution isn't to cut taxes. If a business isn't doing well, the solution isn't to lower its annual income. People and businesses all across the country are reacting correctly to the recession - they are cutting expenses. I'm sure that everyone, regardless of political affiliation, would be thrilled if the government spent tax money more responsibly.

Love it or hate it, the Obama administration is actually making a good effort of enabling the people to keep the government accountable. Recovery.gov is the U.S. government's official website that provides easy access to data
related to Recovery Act spending and allows for the reporting of potential fraud, waste, and abuse. They also created the Campaign to Cut Waste, something that I hope continues with the following administrations.

The Campaign To Cut Waste - YouTube

Upvote 0
M

MattRose

I "enjoy" paying taxes just as much as everyone else... but I understand that these taxes are necessary for things I use every day - things that most people would take for granted until they didn't have it anymore.

The "best" solution isn't to cut taxes. If a business isn't doing well, the solution isn't to lower its annual income. People and businesses all across the country are reacting correctly to the recession - they are cutting expenses. I'm sure that everyone, regardless of political affiliation, would be thrilled if the government spent tax money more responsibly.

Love it or hate it, the Obama administration is actually making a good effort of enabling the people to keep the government accountable. Recovery.gov is the U.S. government's official website that provides easy access to data
related to Recovery Act spending and allows for the reporting of potential fraud, waste, and abuse. They also created the Campaign to Cut Waste, something that I hope continues with the following administrations.

The Campaign To Cut Waste - YouTube

Damn liberals... always making sense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Taxes are in place for the good of society, just like the laws against murder, theft, rape, and arson. Just because you don't personally agree with them doesn't mean they constitute slavery.

How do taxes benefit society? They are used to fund military expeditions across the world that lead to countless deaths and anguish. Tax laws are used to kick people out of their homes who can no longer afford to pay property taxes. Some of those people are retired grand parents who have paid taxes all their adult lives until their income dropped. By your definition would you suggest such unfortunate people are for theft, rape and arson?

Its even bigger than that. The reason the American economy is so slow to recover is because employers fear taxes and Obamacare which is basically a big mandatory tax/boon for insurance companies. Taxes drag down economies and that is not the American way.
***------
***------
----------
----------

Upvote 0

Spiritlight

✰•.¸¸★•*´¨`*•.¸.✰
Apr 1, 2011
manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do taxes benefit society? They are Taxes drag down economies and that is not the American way.
I guess if you could provide a financial model of how a country provides for its people without taxes would be a great thing in this thread.

If you have a model I would be interested because I know no other way.

I have heard of solutions to economically bad decisions have been rectified by removing some taxes or fees etc. Some countries stimulated their economies by having minimal tax on things to get it moving.

some European countries are offering free public transport in an effort to improve thier countries.

Free Public Transport Europe

If you know any other way I am interested to hear it.

Upvote 0

bricklayer

Dec 26, 2009
the rust belt
✟5,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

The only thing one acquires for one's FICA taxes is the "right" to tax the next generation.
The arguments used today to justify generational serfdom were used to justify racial slavery in the American south.

The value of slavery, as a percentage of domestic activity, was about the same as the value of wealth transfer schemes of today.

The idea that because one pays another he is then entitled to the fruit of yet another's labor is the basis of both slavery and serfdom.

There is no one here now who is willing to admit that what they paid into FICA was paid out just as it came in. There is not a generation alive now willing to set the children free.

Reactions: Autumnleaf
Upvote 0