Finland
✟14,098.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think stuff around sexuality is something that has the power to make the smartest person do stupid things. There have been murders and even wars related to sexuality, I believe. It has such an effect to people that it must be controlled to keep us safe and healthy marriage sounds like a good framework for that. On the opposite sex drive let loose can lead to wherever one’s desires lead to and it most likely is harmful to all parties.

My 2 cents.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think stuff around sexuality is something that has the power to make the smartest person do stupid things. There have been murders and even wars related to sexuality, I believe. It has such an effect to people that it must be controlled to keep us safe and healthy marriage sounds like a good framework for that. On the opposite sex drive let loose can lead to wherever one’s desires lead to and it most likely is harmful to all parties.

My 2 cents.
The problem can be that someone is seeking the pleasure - - not loving someone, but using people and/or oneself to get nice feelings

But God is so beautifully wonderful and pleasant and kind in His love >

"Your lovingkindness is better than life" (in Psalm 63:3)

And only with God can we have real intimacy.

"Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us." (Romans 5:5)

"he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him." (in 1 Corinthians 6:17)

In God's love we are intimate with God Himself sharing His own love with us "in our hearts", and we are intimate with one another who are in this love.

But sexual stuff can have someone only intimate with one's own feelings being produced inside one's own self . . . maybe using someone else, but not truly intimate in love with the person, but like I say having intimacy only with nice feelings.

And those nice feelings can not make a person strong against boredom and loneliness and frustration and anger and depression and unforgiveness and torment of worry. Nice feelings might cover up someone's deep trouble, and distract a person from his or her deep weakness and misery; however, weakness for such pleasures will keep a person weak for the suffering later.

So, we can see how even moral people can be weak for arguing and complaining and hurting each other! And they can bring up children who do not know how to love, and they are desperate for pleasure, instead. So sexual sensations can be quite the treasure for such kids.

And we see how ones in desperation for sexual pleasure have been going, not having intimacy with our Father.

And God has us intimate with one another, if we are sharing in His love: in this all-loving family caring and sharing love we are not limited to having intimacy with just some one person or in-crowd. And this love is almighty to keep us from being fools for pleasure and its false intimacy which is merely what we can make ourselves feel.

So it is important, then, not to get isolated only with some one person or ones we use for what we prefer for pleasure and excitement. Because God's love is all-loving and intimate in family caring and sharing, preparing us now for this for eternity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Godsunworthyservant

Dec 10, 2023
WV
✟2,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

My 2 cents.
I believe, as always, that as Christians we should first look at what Christ said on any subject. When it comes to sexual matters, Christ put great emphasis on the serious nature of sexual sin. While He didn't go into great detail on the myriad of sexual taboos and customs found in the Old Testament, He did clarify the point of divorce and remarriage. (He said it was indeed adultery)

It's of note that sexual sin is the only sin that Christ mentioned body mutilation as a means to avoid the temptation. In Matthew Chapter 5 He said "27Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: 28But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. 29And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. 30And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell". I've heard preachers over the years say that this is two separate subjects and that the eye and hand part are some sort of spontaneous utterance that isn't related to the lust that He was discussing. I believe that is nothing more than the age old attempts of men to find ways around the subject. It makes perfect sense that the eye is where lust begins and the hand is used for masturbation.

But that's not the only reference Christ made to body mutilation in order to avoid sexual lust or sin. In Matthew Chapter 19, in another discussion about divorce He ends with the following "12For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it." Now why would anyone be made a eunuch "for the Kingdom of Heaven's sake"? There's only one reason, in order to avoid sexual sin! Christ considered it to be such a serious matter that He actually recommends body mutilation as a means to avoid it.

As you mention, there are many instances where sexual sin has lead to bigger consequences. Look at David or Samson, just for a couple of examples. Perhaps that's one reason that the only sexual activity blessed by God is that between a husband and wife, where there are few limitations. In today's world where sexual deviations are mainstream alternative lifestyles, it's more of a dilemma, especially for single Christians. They market sex to sell just about everything. The inappropriate content industry generates more income than the combined revenues of ABC, NBC, and CBS and more than the combined revenues of NFL, NBA, and MLB. In the USA, the inappropriate content industry generates an estimated $97 billion a year. Every second, $3,075.64 is being spent on inappropriate contentography. If you consider that 60% of Americans (down from 90% in 1990) now identify as Christian and postulate that 60% of that money is spent by them, that's almost $60 billion spent on sin that could have gone to doing God's will and helping those less fortunate souls among us. So, the consequences are so far reaching as to boggle the imagination. As Christians, however, all we can do is try and avoid temptation in our own lives and refrain from being a temptation to anyone else. Otherwise, we should pray for and witness to those within our sphere of influence who might be struggling with any sin. The problem is obviously systemic and may seem insurmountable but just remember "There's not enough darkness in the entire universe to extinguish the light of one single candle". So, if we just make sure our candle keeps burning bright for Christ through the way we live our lives and share God's word, then the issues of this world will work out according to God's plan. Yes, sex has great power over the heart of man and Satan has certainly taken full advantage of that fact, but remember Christ said "Greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world".

Upvote 0