California
✟1,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I learned something today, as I was reading the Bible, and decided on this topic, so that it would be broad, and not focused on that one thing..

Sexual immorality is mentioned often in the Bible.
What does it involve exactly?

Most people are aware that it involves adultery - having sexual relations with a married person, or infidelity.
Others are aware that sexual immorality also involves premarital sex - which needs no defining.

What about masturbation?
Well, I discovered today that the Bible pointedly places masturbation in the category of sexual immorality - in an almost direct way.
I did hear other scriptures used, but I think this one is more pointed. Maybe I heard it used, but didn't connect the dots.

1 Thessalonians 4:
4 that each of you should learn to control your own body in a way that is holy and honorable,
5 not in passionate lust like the pagans, who do not know God;

Masturbation is defined as ___. We look up the definition, and what we see, is being described in these verses, as something we should avoid practicing.

Would oral, and anal sex, be considered sexual immorality?
The scriptures uses the terms uncleanness Colossians 3:5, and licentiousness, wantonness - conduct shocking to public decency, lewdness. Galatians 5:19

Licentiousness is defined as
a throwing off of sexual restraint; lewd character or behavior
wanton disregard or transgression of laws, rules, or moral norms

Licentiousness and vulgar, are interchangeable.
That definition matches the Greek word ἀσέλγεια - aselgeia.

Is oral and anal sex vulgar.
Many people say no.
I believe they are

Upvote 0
Sep 16, 2023
California
✟1,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Divorce and Adultery:

There is alot here but I believe it answers the question about adultery from a spiritual perspective.

Luke 16:16,18 NKJV
"The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it. [18] "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced from her husband commits adultery.

Jesus is not talking about divorce between a man and woman here.

Pressing into the Kingdom of God is to be totally committed and married to Christ.

The her is the called into the church, His body, the bride of Christ. Married to Him. Called out of the world into the church, which is the mystical universal body of Christ.

The husband is Christ, those who are divorced from Christ are those who look away from Him towards mankind or the law as they look to help, direction and leadership and justification.

Jeremiah 3:1 NKJV
"They say, 'If a man divorces his wife, And she goes from him And becomes another man's, May he return to her again?' Would not that land be greatly polluted? But you have played the harlot with many lovers; Yet return to Me," says the LORD.

Romans 7:1-6 NKJV
Or do you not know, brethren (for I speak to those who know the law), that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives? [2] For the woman who has a husband is bound by the law to her husband as long as he lives. But if the husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband. [3] So then if, while her husband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man. [4] Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another-to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God. [5] For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. [6] But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

There is no fruit to eat that is produced from our observance to the law.

Eve was a type of the church to come. Eve, like Paul was deceived by righteousness through the law. Eve saw that the tree was pleasant to the eyes, good for food and could make one wise. The tree represents mankind in the flesh. The other tree in the garden was the tree of life. This is the only tree that we should eat from.

Married to Christ.

2 Corinthians 11:2-3 NKJV
For I am jealous for you with godly jealousy. For I have betrothed you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. [3] But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

Ecclesiastes 9:4-6 NKJV
But for him who is joined to all the living there is hope, for a living dog is better than a dead lion. [5] For the living know that they will die; But the dead know nothing, And they have no more reward, For the memory of them is forgotten. [6] Also their love, their hatred, and their envy have now perished; Nevermore will they have a share In anything done under the sun.

We should not be proud of our accomplishments or obedience in the law but should be humble and know that we are sinners saved by grace. We have died or denied ourselves as we have taken up our cross and followed Jesus.

Only through Christ and His wonderful sacrifice is there righteousness found.

The relationship is clear. Male and female. Husband and Wife. Christ as Husband and the church as the bride.

We are one flesh in His body.

Colossians 3:15-16 NKJV
And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful. [16] Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Ephesians chapter 4 speaks about putting away lying, deceitfulness and division and living in peace and gentleness with humility and love.

Christ is our head as our Husband, not man. He should reign over us, not man. How can we look to deceitful and boastful lawmakers to guide ourselves. We build these people up by means of reputation and say how great they are or were to the point where we erect monuments, holidays, statues, name states, cities and towns after them.

Our God is a very jealous God and will not tolerate idolatry towards mankind.

Many mistakenly believe God has called Christians to make this world a better place. If that was the case, then God's plan is not working, which of course is impossible. God's plan is for Christians to stand out as lights and not be conformed to the world. There should be an evidence of love towards all people without distinction of nationality, race, religion, creed, education, language or any other human trait that would separate and divide us causing hatred.

Psalm 146:1-4 NKJV
Praise the LORD! Praise the LORD, O my soul! [2] While I live I will praise the LORD; I will sing praises to my God while I have my being. [3] Do not put your trust in princes, Nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help. [4] His spirit departs, he returns to his earth; In that very day his plans perish.

Proverbs 27:1 NKJV
Do not boast about tomorrow, For you do not know what a day may bring forth.

Should we worry about tomorrow?

No, God has the plan and we must trust Him absolutely and completely.

Matthew 6:33-34 NKJV
But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. [34] Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Ecclesiastes 7:10 NKJV
Do not say, "Why were the former days better than these?" For you do not inquire wisely concerning this.

This is owing to ignorance of former times; which, if rightly inquired into, or the true knowledge of them could be come at, it would appear that they were no better than the present; and that there were always bad men, and bad things done; frauds, oppressions, and violence, and everything that can be complained of now: or if things are worse than they were, this should be imputed to the badness of men; and the inquirer should look to himself, and his own ways, and see if there is not a cause there, and study to redeem the time, because the days are evil; and not arraign the providence of God, and murmur at that, and quarrel with it; as if the distributions of it were unequal, and justice not done in one age as in another.

Ecclesiastes 7:13 NKJV
Consider the work of God; For who can make straight what He has made crooked?

No man can mend or make that better he finds fault with and complains of; nor can he alter the course of things, nor stay the hand, nor stop the providence of God: if it is his pleasure that public calamities should be in the world, or in such a part of it, as famine, pestilence, or the sword; or any affliction on families, and particular persons, or poverty and meanness in such and such individuals, there is no hindering it; whatever he has purposed and resolved, his providence effects, and there is no frustrating his designs; it signifies nothing for a creature to murmur and complain; it is best to submit to his will, for no alteration can be made but what he pleases.

Which begs a question most people have a hard time understanding.

Why does God allow all this evil in the world? If God is so powerful, why not step in and prevent it?

Many Christians believe that they are commissioned and appointed by God to fix this world. For nearly 2000 years this has been the case.

History should have taught us by now that this is not the will of God.

God does not change countries but individuals. He implants His Spirit in their hearts and writes His laws on their mind. Not the 10 commandments but the law of the LORD. Their mind is fixed on Christ and not on man and the futility that history should have taught us about placing hope in them.

There is a classic line in the movie Jurassic Park. Jeff Goldblum as Dr. Malcolm is asked if he was currently married and he replies, "Occasionally. Yeah, I'm always on the lookout for the future ex-Mrs. Malcolm."

Well, is that not a prophetic allegory of people finding hope in the future ex-politician?

The politicians find people who believe in them and trust in them. Many will claim their allegiance to Christ. But their words and actions usually speak otherwise.

Psalm 131:1 NKJV
LORD, my heart is not haughty, Nor my eyes lofty. Neither do I concern myself with great matters, Nor with things too profound for me.

2 Corinthians 1:12 NKJV
For our boasting is this: the testimony of our conscience that we conducted ourselves in the world in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom but by the grace of God, and more abundantly toward you.

James 3:17 NKJV
But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy.

Hebrews 11:13 NKJV
These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced them and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

Hebrews 11:14 NKJV
For those who say such things declare plainly that they seek a homeland.

Hebrews 11:15 NKJV
And truly if they had called to mind that country from which they had come out, they would have had opportunity to return.

Hebrews 11:16 NKJV
But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.

Jeremiah 17:5,7,9-10 NKJV
Thus says the LORD: "Cursed is the man who trusts in man And makes flesh his strength, Whose heart departs from the LORD. [7] "Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, And whose hope is the LORD. [9] "The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it? [10] I, the LORD, search the heart, I test the mind, Even to give every man according to his ways, According to the fruit of his doings.

Psalm 97:7 NKJV
Let all be put to shame who serve carved images, Who boast of idols. Worship Him, all you gods.

1 Corinthians 6:15-17 NKJV
Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a harlot? Certainly not! [16] Or do you not know that he who is joined to a harlot is one body with her? For "the two," He says, "shall become one flesh." [17] But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him.

Ephesians 5:23,25-27 NKJV
For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. [25] Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, [26] that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, [27] that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.

Ephesians 5:31-32 NKJV
"For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." [32] This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

1 Corinthians 6:15-17 NKJV
Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a harlot? Certainly not! [16] Or do you not know that he who is joined to a harlot is one body with her? For "the two," He says, "shall become one flesh." [17] But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him.

Matthew 19:4-6 NKJV
And He answered and said to them, "Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning 'made them male and female,' [5] and said, 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'? [6] So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate."

We are joined to the Body of Christ. Christ is the Husband and the bride is us. God has joined us together by the Holy Spirit.

John 10:30 NKJV
I and My Father are one."

1 Corinthians 7:32-34 NKJV
But I want you to be without care. He who is unmarried cares for the things of the Lord-how he may please the Lord. [33] But he who is married cares about the things of the world-how he may please his wife. [34] There is a difference between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman cares about the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit. But she who is married cares about the things of the world-how she may please her husband.

Isaiah 62:5 NKJV
For as a young man marries a virgin, So shall your sons marry you; And as the bridegroom rejoices over the bride, So shall your God rejoice over you.

James 4:4 NKJV
Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

Colossians 1:18,24 NKJV
And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence. [24] I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ, for the sake of His body, which is the church.

Ephesians 5:31-32 NKJV
"For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." [32] This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

5:32 This is a great mystery,.... It has something mysterious in it; it is a figure and emblem of the mysterious union between Christ and his people: for so it follows,

but I speak concerning Christ and the church; or mention this law and institution of marriage, with respect to them; for the leaving of father and mother prefigured Christ's coming forth from the Father, and coming into this world in human nature, and his disregard to his earthly parents, in comparison with his people, and his service for them; the man cleaving to the wife very aptly expresses the strong affection of Christ to his church, and the near communion there is between them; and their being one flesh denotes the union of them; and indeed, the marriage of Adam and Eve was a type of Christ and his church; for in this the first Adam was a figure of him that was to come, as well as in being a federal head to his posterity: Adam was before Eve, so Christ was before his church; God thought it not proper that man should be alone, so neither Christ, but that he should have some fellows and companions with him: the formation of Eve from Adam was typical of the church's production from Christ; she was made of him while he was asleep, which sleep was from the Lord, and it was not an ordinary one; which may resemble the sufferings and death of Christ, which were from the Lord, and were not common; and which are the redemption of his church and people; and which secure their comfort and happiness, and wellbeing: she was taken out of his side, and built up a woman of one of his ribs; both the justification and sanctification of the church are from Christ, from the water and the blood which issued out of his side, when on the cross: the bringing and presentation of Eve to Adam has its mystery; it was God that brought her to him; and she was the same that was made out of him; and to the same Adam was she brought of whose rib she was made, and that not against her will: so it is God that draws souls to Christ, and espouses them to him, even the same that he has chosen in him, and Christ has redeemed by his blood; and to the same are they brought, who was wounded for their transgressions, and bruised for their sins; and they are made willing in the day of his power upon them, to come and give themselves to him. Adam's consent and acknowledgment of Eve to be his wife, shadow forth Christ's hearty reception and acknowledgment of the saints, as being of him, and his, when they are brought unto him under the influences of his grace and Spirit.

Upvote 0

ZephBonkerer

Nov 14, 2022
Cincinnati, OH
✟37,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
There's nearly always an element of objectification in that kind of immorality. Every now and then, the women in our group might complain about some guy touching them in inappropriate ways, or making some other form of unwanted contact. In some environments, immorality can be so pervasive that you would all but be considered a creep among those who don't know you solely because you're male.

What makes this kind of thing so horrendous in my mind is the "walk of shame". If you're going to bring a girl home and have intimate relations with her, you should at the very least have the decency to let her have a shower, stay for breakfast, and see to it she gets home safely with her dignity intact. But most guys who do that sort of thing don't even do that. I detest that kind of objectification.

As for taking matters into your own hands, I really don't see what the big deal is. It's a lot less bad than promiscuity, and some of us have a sex drive that is well above zero. In other words, not all of us are fit for celibacy.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There's nearly always an element of objectification in that kind of immorality. Every now and then, the women in our group might complain about some guy touching them in inappropriate ways, or making some other form of unwanted contact. In some environments, immorality can be so pervasive that you would all but be considered a creep among those who don't know you solely because you're male.

What makes this kind of thing so horrendous in my mind is the "walk of shame". If you're going to bring a girl home and have intimate relations with her, you should at the very least have the decency to let her have a shower, stay for breakfast, and see to it she gets home safely with her dignity intact. But most guys who do that sort of thing don't even do that. I detest that kind of objectification.

As for taking matters into your own hands, I really don't see what the big deal is. It's a lot less bad than promiscuity, and some of us have a sex drive that is well above zero. In other words, not all of us are fit for celibacy.
I disagree with that last justification.

Upvote 0

ZephBonkerer

Nov 14, 2022
Cincinnati, OH
✟37,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I disagree with that last justification.

Fair enough, but do you have a better idea? What would you advise?

Sure there's 1 Corinthians 7:9 which is reasonable in the long term. But one must get through the short term to reach the long term.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"not all of us are fit for celibacy"
If you mean for some reason you can't be celibate then i say why not if it's necessary we must be. Strength, fortitude to abstain from. It's like anything we shouldn't do as Christians we just don't do them.

Upvote 0

ZephBonkerer

Nov 14, 2022
Cincinnati, OH
✟37,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
"not all of us are fit for celibacy"
If you mean for some reason you can't be celibate then i say why not if it's necessary we must be. Strength, fortitude to abstain from. It's like anything we shouldn't do as Christians we just don't do them.

Don't get me wrong: I make no excuse for immorality. There are some people who consider taking matters into their own hands to be immorality. I am not one of those people. It is not reasonable to expect anyone with a sex drive well above zero to abstain from any and all forms of sexuality, including taking matters into their own hands. Why? What's the point?

Self-control in that area isn't about willpower. It's about having the moral sense to treat people as their own persons and not as objects to be consumed and discarded. That is the kind of immorality that is condemned by God. I do not believe taking matters into one's own hands is any sin at all.

I must admit I get irritated when I hear Christians speak of matters of sexuality in disparaging terms. There's nothing godly or holy about prudishness. That kind of thing makes us look like uptight ding dongs to those who don't know the Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,214.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Not sure I know what any of this has to do with anything I said, but whatever.

Oh, and erotica and hand drawn sexually explicit content used for personal gratification was very available during Christ’s era. I have no idea why you’d think it only existed in brothels. It was prolific throughout the Roman Empire and not at all hard to obtain behind it. In a testament to the industriousness of the people of the time, they had items that doubled as both erotica and sex toys for use in the bedroom.
Did Christians encourage their use or create these items back then? It's kind of hard to imagine the early Christisns being as sexually libertine as the surrounding society or someone like yourself.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Romans 1 talks about the "natural use" of the body regarding sexuality.
What is the "natural use" of reproductive organs regarding sexuality?
To reproduce.

Romans 1:26-28 KJV
26. For this cause, God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
27. And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet.
28. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind to do those things which are not convenient;

Sexuality is in your head ("mind"). You can, by practice, become sexual with anything, living or dead. But you do it by indulging your mind and body in it. Once accustomed, next is the unnatural uses, and finally, the reprobate mind.
You are a child of the King, a child of the living God. Carry yourself accordingly. You are not an animal: a beast of the field. You are not common trash on the street. Lift yourself up to the place of Kings and Priests. Resolve to show yourself worthy of your calling. Rise above all this filth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ZephBonkerer

Nov 14, 2022
Cincinnati, OH
✟37,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Romans 1 talks about the "natural use" of the body regarding sexuality.
What is the "natural use" of reproductive organs regarding sexuality?
To reproduce.

The context of Romans 1 is to contrast the sexual joining of man and woman the way the Good Lord intended, in contrast with same-sex relations and other perversions of sexuality. I would not hold that the "natural use" is necessarily limited to sex with intent to get pregnant.

Upvote 0

fanofjesus333

Nov 12, 2023
McKinleyville
✟9,037.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I learned something today, as I was reading the Bible, and decided on this topic, so that it would be broad, and not focused on that one thing..

Most people are aware that it involves adultery - having sexual relations with a married person, or infidelity.
Others are aware that sexual immorality also involves premarital sex - which needs no defining.

What about masturbation?
Well, I discovered today that the Bible pointedly places masturbation in the category of sexual immorality - in an almost direct way.
I did hear other scriptures used, but I think this one is more pointed. Maybe I heard it used, but didn't connect the dots.

1 Thessalonians 4:
4 that each of you should learn to control your own body in a way that is holy and honorable,

Masturbation is defined as ___. We look up the definition, and what we see, is being described in these verses, as something we should avoid practicing.

The scriptures uses the terms uncleanness Colossians 3:5, and licentiousness, wantonness - conduct shocking to public decency, lewdness. Galatians 5:19

Many people say no.
I believe they are
I note that all of your descriptions include the terms "passionate lust", "throwing off sexual restraint" "vulgar" etc. I think that many people touch just for relief, not out of any of the aforementioned characterizations. Yes, at some point, it crosses the line over to that, such as when fantasizing about someone else while doing it, and all the other accompanying behavior, but for those that have lost their spouse, etc, maybe they don't need to see it as "licentiousness". What do others think?

Upvote 0

fanofjesus333

Nov 12, 2023
McKinleyville
✟9,037.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The context of Romans 1 is to contrast the sexual joining of man and woman the way the Good Lord intended, in contrast with same-sex relations and other perversions of sexuality. I would not hold that the "natural use" is necessarily limited to sex with intent to get pregnant.
correct; it's only the catholics that have a prohibition on spouses to have sex unless it's for the purpose of procreation (which is why their families are always so big)

Upvote 0

la Son

Nov 9, 2023
Dennison
✟907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Celibate

What about masturbation?

1 Thessalonians 4:

Many people say no.
I believe they are
Nice work
That glean from Thessalonian pretty much covers all sexual exploits done for pleasure outside of a committed relationship. Prolly even covers that too per circumstance.
It's just another things that can become addicting as a stumbling block.
Its hard not to be stimulated out here in the world at any random moment even when we set out not be. Its a constant struggle for me. I'ma a sinner and most my youth and 20s was focused on doing that very thing everyday same as most people living street life.
Coming from that background of habit the physical part isn't an issue for me but the mind getting triggered and sent off track thinking on patterns worn in from back then, it is a struggle.

I was getting in some cardio last week and was triggered at random and was frustrated with myself thinking how Jesus said cut off your hand if it deceives you. If the other one does too then cut it off as it is better to get in the heaven mangled than not at all...
Not serious thought but my mind pondered cutting off my length and I'm like that's
Then I'm thinking, it's not my body body members that's failing me it's my mind in this world.
Jesus my mind was betraying me so I took your advice and took it off so I could get in. I'm at the gate but cherubim want let me pass because doning what you said lead to unforgivable sin. Can you buzz me in please?

Thanks for making the post as it is a real condition that can lead us other places.

Reactions: CoreyD
Upvote 0

la Son

Nov 9, 2023
Dennison
✟907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Celibate
I note that all of your descriptions include the terms "passionate lust", "throwing off sexual restraint" "vulgar" etc. I think that many people touch just for relief, not out of any of the aforementioned characterizations. Yes, at some point, it crosses the line over to that, such as when fantasizing about someone else while doing it, and all the other accompanying behavior, but for those that have lost their spouse, etc, maybe they don't need to see it as "licentiousness". What do others think?
I think those are fair thoughts.
The build up def gets in the way so release seems within reason at some point.
I think there are things that need considered regarding sex and spiritual relations for anyone who wants to get to the next level and start doing what Jesus said we can do and do even greater things. Unless you don't believe him saying we can be healing people in need. Making the blind see and casting out the unclean like an OG.
There is certainly a disconnect from being good people in faith keeping commands and loving with Acts of kindness and keeping The Holy Spirit clean lodging
We should be seeing someone, somewhere with any of the abilities he said we could perform right?
I'm not seeing anyone, are you?
I trust my Saviors words 70x70x70 so there must be a way to get from here to there.

Sorry for all that but here's what I was thinking.
Priests are like are generally decided by family at an early age. At least back when Jesus was around. Maybe some Catholics do IDK
Point is that they were taught not to partake as their future is in the priesthood. They were taught to stay pure for a reason.
Despite my dislike towards Paul...
He was a very strong advocate of abstaining from sex. You hear it in his works moreso than anywhere else in the book.
Also I know the disciples abstained while they were out in the field working. Not spilling seed obviously does something. I'm guessing it supercharges our being in some way that we just aren't making use of and is cutting us off from being closer to God in some capacity not being taught.
Even athletes will abstain for lengths of time for performance gains physically and mentally.
So ya I think your assessment was fair but to get to the next level may require more of us to sacrifice than fair.

• Useful
Reactions: CoreyD
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟962,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Having sex or fantasizing about having sex with a recipient who is not one's Biblically-defined spouse.
What about masturbation?
The rules here do not allow the defense of you-know-what without lust, so you will not hear those arguments in this venue.
The married Christian sexuality site, The Marriage Bed, does speak to this issue, however.
Teen-Specific Article
"Vulgar" just means impolite; not necessarily sin. Using the toilet & menstruating are both vulgar (but not sin).
If you mean spiritually unacceptable, The Marriage Bed site shows where the Bible speaks to them, but it is mostly silent on those matters. The Christian couple just needs to work them out before God.

(edit: Shame is a poor substitute --and counterfeit-- for modesty.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think there are reasonable thoughts in @la Son's post.

I think those are fair thoughts.
The build up def gets in the way so release seems within reason at some point.
I think there are things that need considered regarding sex and spiritual relations for anyone who wants to get to the next level and start doing what Jesus said we can do and do even greater things. Unless you don't believe him saying we can be healing people in need. Making the blind see and casting out the unclean like an OG.
There is certainly a disconnect from being good people in faith keeping commands and loving with Acts of kindness and keeping The Holy Spirit clean lodging
We should be seeing someone, somewhere with any of the abilities he said we could perform right?
I'm not seeing anyone, are you?
I trust my Saviors words 70x70x70 so there must be a way to get from here to there.

Sorry for all that but here's what I was thinking.
Priests are like are generally decided by family at an early age. At least back when Jesus was around. Maybe some Catholics do IDK
Point is that they were taught not to partake as their future is in the priesthood. They were taught to stay pure for a reason.
Despite my dislike towards Paul...
He was a very strong advocate of abstaining from sex. You hear it in his works moreso than anywhere else in the book.
Also I know the disciples abstained while they were out in the field working. Not spilling seed obviously does something. I'm guessing it supercharges our being in some way that we just aren't making use of and is cutting us off from being closer to God in some capacity not being taught.
Even athletes will abstain for lengths of time for performance gains physically and mentally.
So ya I think your assessment was fair but to get to the next level may require more of us to sacrifice than fair.
I'm reminded of the Nazarite vow.
It called for sacrifice, and self restraint - much self control.
I agree, that is a good discipline, that can take us to the next level.
In fact, when I think of perfection, and where God intends for his children to be, I can see how a pure mind, with pure thoughts, in line with God's thinking, makes us one with him.

1 Peter 1:15, 16 15 but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 16 because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.”
It makes a lot of sense, when you think about it.
God is pure, and wants his children to be pure, but we fell far from that, when Adam sold us into sin.
However, with the help of holy spirit, we can get to that perfect level.

Paul said, I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. Galatians 5:16, 17
Then he describes the works of the flesh, from verse 19 to 21.
Then the fruit of the Spirit in verses 22 to 23.

Thinking about this, is just amazing.
This is profound! God is truly awesome, and superior in wisdom.
Moreover, God is making us to be the best we can ever be. I think those who reject God, because they think he is too restrictive, are missing out.

Just think about the first quality of the fruit of God's spirit - love.
Isn't that what's sadly lacking in the world, but isn't that what we want - what we need? Isn't that the ingredients we all need to, as Michael Jackson sang, "make the world a better place".

I'd better stop there before I don't stop writing. :D
God's knowledge and wisdom is awesome!

Reactions: fanofjesus333
Upvote 0

fanofjesus333

Nov 12, 2023
McKinleyville
✟9,037.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
you raise the bar pretty high! Yeah, if I was praying for people and seeing immediate results, I think that would mean that I also have the mind-set that would allow me to "walk in the spirit" and thus not "fulfill the lusts of the flesh". But now, it's just me, a struggling christian, who is always telling myself "whatever is not of faith is sin"; that was my original question: what do people really think about masturbation? Is it sin to them, and if so, why? what has Jesus personally said to them, if anything?

Upvote 0