Detroit
✟23,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I learned something today, as I was reading the Bible, and decided on this topic, so that it would be broad, and not focused on that one thing..

Sexual immorality is mentioned often in the Bible.
What does it involve exactly?

Most people are aware that it involves adultery - having sexual relations with a married person, or infidelity.
Others are aware that sexual immorality also involves premarital sex - which needs no defining.

What about masturbation?
Well, I discovered today that the Bible pointedly places masturbation in the category of sexual immorality - in an almost direct way.
I did hear other scriptures used, but I think this one is more pointed. Maybe I heard it used, but didn't connect the dots.

1 Thessalonians 4:
4 that each of you should learn to control your own body in a way that is holy and honorable,
5 not in passionate lust like the pagans, who do not know God;

Masturbation is defined as ___. We look up the definition, and what we see, is being described in these verses, as something we should avoid practicing.

Would oral, and anal sex, be considered sexual immorality?
The scriptures uses the terms uncleanness Colossians 3:5, and licentiousness, wantonness - conduct shocking to public decency, lewdness. Galatians 5:19

Licentiousness is defined as
a throwing off of sexual restraint; lewd character or behavior
wanton disregard or transgression of laws, rules, or moral norms

Licentiousness and vulgar, are interchangeable.
That definition matches the Greek word ἀσέλγεια - aselgeia.

Is oral and anal sex vulgar.
Many people say no.
I believe they are

Reactions: la Son

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Many people say no.
I believe they are
My suggestion is to pick an act and then use scripture or whatever you like to argue that it is prohibited or permissible. Make an argument about one particular kind of sexual act. Don't place too many topics in one OP.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From a sociological and psychological angle, I find it interesting that it's so often "single Christian men" who ask about this fare as a topic for discussion ...

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My suggestion is to pick an act and then use scripture or whatever you like to argue that it is prohibited or permissible. Make an argument about one particular kind of sexual act. Don't place too many topics in one OP.
Thanks.
I chose not to do that, because I did not want to revive a topic that was closed, in the event that it became a repeat.
So, since sexual immorality covers that, as well as other areas, I felt it would be better to use that, since it allowed flexibility, as different persons would have interests in different areas of the topic.

From a sociological and psychological angle, I find it interesting that it's so often "single Christian men" who ask about this fare as a topic for discussion ...
That's interesting.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it’s a topic for consenting couples to work out on their own. What works in my relationship may not be what works in yours, and vice versa. What is or isn’t sinful really doesn’t matter if your partner is not interested in performing said act.

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it’s a topic for consenting couples to work out on their own. What works in my relationship may not be what works in yours, and vice versa. What is or isn’t sinful really doesn’t matter if your partner is not interested in performing said act.
Of, course. The world alienated from God, or not interested in following Christ and the teachings of the Christian congregation, work out their own morals. Not that they are unaccountable, but for the Christian, the words of Hebrews 13:4 are taken seriously, and don't allow for working out what is moral or immoral in these matters.

Take for example, inappropriate contentography.
We live in an age where inappropriate contentography scenes are a mouse click away. Something that was not available in the first century.
A person would have to make their way to a first century brothel, to see anything of that sort.

Does this mean that a Christian gets to choose whether viewing inappropriate contentography is right or wrong?
The Bible helps the christian to answer this question.
Acts 2:42
And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship​

1 Thessalonians 5:12
But we beseech you, brethren, to know them that labor among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;​

Hebrews 13:17
Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you.​

Matthew 24:45
Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath set over his household, to give them their food in due season?​

The Christian congregation is under the direction of Christ, who leads his people from heaven. Since he holds the stars in his hand Revelation 1:20, which are guided by holy spirit Revelation 2:29, the congregations of the whole association of Jesus' followers, are made to all speak in agreement, and no divisions exist among them. 1 Corinthians 1:10

Which, I'm sure you know, is in contrast to the many denominations we see today.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Rape, incest, sex with children etc

PS if God intended for no sex outside marriage he would have made that the commandment, not don't be sexually immoral
God didn't?

Genesis 2:24
Proverbs 5:18, 19
1 Corinthians 7:2
Hebrews 13:4

He did, didn't he.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of, course. The world alienated from God, or not interested in following Christ and the teachings of the Christian congregation, work out their own morals. Not that they are unaccountable, but for the Christian, the words of Hebrews 13:4 are taken seriously, and don't allow for working out what is moral or immoral in these matters.

Take for example, inappropriate contentography.
We live in an age where inappropriate contentography scenes are a mouse click away. Something that was not available in the first century.
A person would have to make their way to a first century brothel, to see anything of that sort.

Does this mean that a Christian gets to choose whether viewing inappropriate contentography is right or wrong?
The Bible helps the christian to answer this question.
Acts 2:42
And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship​

1 Thessalonians 5:12
But we beseech you, brethren, to know them that labor among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;​

Hebrews 13:17
Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you.​

Matthew 24:45
Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath set over his household, to give them their food in due season?​

The Christian congregation is under the direction of Christ, who leads his people from heaven. Since he holds the stars in his hand Revelation 1:20, which are guided by holy spirit Revelation 2:29, the congregations of the whole association of Jesus' followers, are made to all speak in agreement, and no divisions exist among them. 1 Corinthians 1:10

Which, I'm sure you know, is in contrast to the many denominations we see today.
Not sure I know what any of this has to do with anything I said, but whatever.

Oh, and erotica and hand drawn sexually explicit content used for personal gratification was very available during Christ’s era. I have no idea why you’d think it only existed in brothels. It was prolific throughout the Roman Empire and not at all hard to obtain behind it. In a testament to the industriousness of the people of the time, they had items that doubled as both erotica and sex toys for use in the bedroom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A relevant and modern mode of sexual immorality in the US today would be homosexuality. There are few things I hate more.
Homosexuality and same-sex relationships also predate Christ. And it’s a really weird thing to list on your “biggest hates” list.

Upvote 0

Pooh Bear

Sep 25, 2023
Missouri
✟9,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Homosexuality and same-sex relationships also predate Christ. And it’s a really weird thing to list on your “biggest hates” list.
Let me clarify for you. Our statements that homosexuality predating Christ and that practice also being relevant and modern do not contradict each other. Homosexuality is a sin; I hate sin. God declares it as an abomination. Leviticus 18:22

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Let me clarify for you. Our statements that homosexuality predating Christ and that practice also being relevant and modern do not contradict each other. Homosexuality is a sin; I hate sin. God declares it as an abomination. Leviticus 18:22
I agree with you but it's very controversial and in the end nothing has been accomplished, no changed minds or enlightenment. A Lot of judgment and hurt feelings, no?

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It can’t predate Christ yet be a “modern” sin. Modern implies it just began, but actually it has not. And I maintain that listing it among your greatest hates is odd. Of all that happens in the world, of all the “sin” out there that you and I can commit, that’s what makes the top of the list?

Upvote 0

Pooh Bear

Sep 25, 2023
Missouri
✟9,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
It can’t predate Christ yet be a “modern” sin. Modern implies it just began, but actually it has not. And I maintain that listing it among your greatest hates is odd. Of all that happens in the world, of all the “sin” out there that you and I can commit, that’s what makes the top of the list?
To be fair, Jesus Christ has been around since the beginning, before sin came about. Homosexuality does not truly predate Christ--nothing does. I will use the phrase "contemporary" over "modern" in this circumstance which means "occurring in the present."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pooh Bear

Sep 25, 2023
Missouri
✟9,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I agree with you but it's very controversial and in the end nothing has been accomplished, no changed minds or enlightenment. A Lot of judgment and hurt feelings, no?
That would be an effect of hardened hearts, not of proclaiming the truth.

"...no changed minds or enlightenment." You cannot know the hearts of others. I do not recklessly cast judgement, for I am not the Final Judge, only a servant to do His bidding. Are you trying to say my feelings are hurt right now?

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To be fair, Jesus Christ has been around since the beginning, before sin came about. Homosexuality does not truly predate Christ--nothing does. I will use the phrase "contemporary" over "modern" in this circumstance which means "occurring in the present."
Uh… Homosexuality predates the time in which the son of God walked the earth. By a loooooooong time.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

"...no changed minds or enlightenment." You cannot know the hearts of others. I do not recklessly cast judgement, for I am not the Final Judge, only a servant to do His bidding. Are you trying to say my feelings are hurt right now?
I'm sorry you took offense by my post. Have a nice day.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I believe what @returntosender was saying, is that the subject generates a lot of judgment and hurt feelings, especially for some who may be struggling with it.
However, do what you have to do, remembering the words of the apostle Paul - Your speech must always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person. Colossians 4:6

People need to know God's view, in a world that is trying to make everything clean, unclean, and make God out to be dead - or a mockery.

Last edited:
Reactions: fanofjesus333
Upvote 0