Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I bet my life on far more dangerous things merely by leaving the house each day. Heck, by leaving my bed each day.
Or not leaving your bed. About 750 Americans die each year by becoming tangled in their bed sheets.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
12/70000 = 0.017%

That's incredibly insignificant.

If you were to walk from New York City to San Francisco, 0.017% of the journey leaves you still in New York City.

If you wanted to eat 0.017% of a pizza, you would have to slice it into 5834 pieces - each smaller than a single pepperoni.

And that wording "linked" to Jihad...what does that even mean? Are they taking refuge from jihad?
Actually, the insignificance is even more insignificant when it is understood that the people on that list did not come here this year, but in previous years. We can take that 70,000 and multiply it by the number of years the 12 has been here.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
No you brought up a separate argument to distract from the main one. That's a Red Herring fallacy.

Making a comparison between the argument being made and another argument is not in any way a red herring.

It would only be such if the intention was to distract, my intention is to critique the argument being offered.

Upvote 0

lupusFati

Bigby, Reid, and Z
Apr 17, 2013
Idaho
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Making a comparison between the argument being made and another argument is not in any way a red herring.

It would only be such if the intention was to distract, my intention is to critique the argument being offered.

Regardless of your intention, you distracted from the main issue with a completely unrelated issue. And then people began focusing on your gun argument (which btw, isn't related at all to the refugee argument, imho). That's a Red Herring fallacy.

You're not even comparing apples to oranges. At least those'd still be fruit.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Regardless of your intention, you distracted from the main issue with a completely unrelated issue. And then people began focusing on your gun argument (which btw, isn't related at all to the refugee argument, imho). That's a Red Herring fallacy.

You're not even comparing apples to oranges. At least those'd still be fruit.

I am comparing how much additional risk we are willing to take on and for what, which is a way of addressing the idea of the original argument.

You say distraction, I say perspective.

Upvote 0

lupusFati

Bigby, Reid, and Z
Apr 17, 2013
Idaho
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am comparing how much additional risk we are willing to take on and for what, which is a way of addressing the idea of the original argument.

Like I said, you're comparing two completely different issues.

Upvote 0

lupusFati

Bigby, Reid, and Z
Apr 17, 2013
Idaho
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They aren't that differn't at all, we take on risk all the time for increased liberty for some.

Sorry but you're comparing refugees to guns. You are objectifying human beings as if their only purpose were to maim or kill other people.

So, you're wrong. You don't get to say you're comparing two like issues when they are clearly not the same thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Sorry but you're comparing refugees to guns. You are objectifying human beings as if their only purpose were to maim or kill other people.

So, you're wrong. You don't get to say you're comparing two like issues when they are clearly not the same thing.

That would be taking the premise that Syrian refugees are dangerous at face value and examining it for effect.

Just how dangerous is the question, and what kind of danger is acceptable, for what end?

Guns are more dangerous statistically and are tolerated so that people have the liberty to own assault rifles, yet the same people who accept this idea will balk at the miniscule (and at this point abstract) threat posed by Syrian refugees when the idea there is to rescue people from terror and threats to their life and livelihood.

I think that dichotomy is quite ironically satisfying and really puts peoples priority's right out there for all to see.

Further, If you think my point is distracting you aren't helping by engaging me on it.

Upvote 0

lupusFati

Bigby, Reid, and Z
Apr 17, 2013
Idaho
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That would be taking the premise that Syrian refugees are dangerous at face value and examining it for effect.

Just how dangerous is the question, and what kind of danger is acceptable, for what end?

Guns are more dangerous statistically and are tolerated so that people have the liberty to own assault rifles, yet the same people who accept this idea will balk at the miniscule (and at this point abstract) threat posed by Syrian refugees when the idea there is to rescue people from terror and threats to their life and livelihood.

I think that dichotomy is quite ironically satisfying and really puts peoples priority's right out there for all to see.

Further, If you think my point is distracting you aren't helping by engaging me on it.

Yeah I tend to call people on their BS when I see it. I still don't think you can compare guns to refugees though. My point on that stands.

In any case, I see no reason to keep Syrian refugees out of the country.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Yeah I tend to call people on their BS when I see it. I still don't think you can compare guns to refugees though. My point on that stands.

In any case, I see no reason to keep Syrian refugees out of the country.

When someone's position depends upon a protection from a miniscule danger posed by some group it is entirely fair to examine how they generally weigh the consequences of the policies they would like to see adopted.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,566.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Like I said, you're comparing two completely different issues.
If I may be so bold as to correct BOTH variant AND lupusFati. It appears this discussion is really about FEAR and when it's appropriate to be fearful. Not so much what the EXACT vector of fear may be.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
LOL! I love it "then you would die"; So definitive, so confident; so affraid.

It's actually a math based thread. The argument is that:

0% is not the same as .0017% and that it is statistically meaningful and we need to be both affraid and REALLY angry.
Hey you said it not me. I don't think I've mentioned fear yet in this thread. I've seen other people mention it, though.

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
LOL! I love it "then you would die"; So definitive, so confident; so affraid.

It's actually a math based thread. The argument is that:

0% is not the same as .0017% and that it is statistically meaningful and we need to be both affraid and REALLY angry.
I created the thread, so I'll set the topic, thank you very much. And, all you guys going on about percentages are missing the point. Almost to the point of being off topic

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Hey you said it not me. I don't think I've mentioned fear yet in this thread. I've seen other people mention it, though.

They mention what they observe.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,566.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
So you are unaware of the impression your words are giving then?

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,566.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I created the thread, so I'll set the topic, thank you very much. And, all you guys going on about percentages are missing the point. Almost to the point of being off topic
We are four pages in and it organically has come here. We are trying to figure out what is it that freaks you out so much about those fugees when there are SOOo many more things likely to kill you

Upvote 0