Seeking God or an experience of God: what's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's perfectly reasonable and natural to crave the palpable presence of a beloved one.
To feel their warm loving touch, their caress, or in the terms of parent/child love, to feel yourself held securely in their arms, so I can't understand those who say it's wrong to desire that kind of feeling of God's presence.

As for the idea that to go to church looking for that being wrong, then why do so many prominent members of those places give the impression that they're having a great time, experiencing God's presence manifesting all over them during worship or prayer?

These apparently mature and sincere believers, enjoying their regular, reassuring touch from God, are modelling the "how to" and encouraging younger/less mature believers to think - "This is IT, and you MUST seek it, and if you can't "get" it then you're not as good/mature/spiritually sensitive etc. as us!"

The truth is, those struggling so hard down in the depths surely need these experiences at least as much, if not more, than those happily sailing on the top, yet we're simultaneously told by "the church" - "Seek God's tangible presence, you need it and it is yours if you will only believe and receive" and when we can't achieve - "Don't seek an experience, it's not about feelings!" (Though they are apparently enjoying their feelings!)

I am CONFUSED.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.