Voting for Godly People for President or Other Public Office ?

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,704.00
Faith
Pentecostal
A long election season with our country so divided God is letting us experience that. If the general election were held today instead of November, though always the write in option, depending on various polls four candidates have or potentially have more than 10% of the vote - Trump, Biden, Haley, and Kennedy. Each have some connection to God (not talking a very specific religion or denomination) in their own or family background or currently. One important Question in voting is - how much each one sincerely talks the talk as appropriate with the specific and sometimes diverse audience each day and walks the walk doing good for the people and not self serving and power grabbing?
And in our case right now, neither leading candidate is walking the walk. I wish we had a clear divide, but we don't.

Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,704.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I didn't know we were governed by people so young. I was thinking late 70s, early to mid 80s

Jesus was saying you wouldn't be so foolish as to build without money and resources; you would first "count the cost" . Do you really think anyone in DC besides maybe Thomas Massie, and a handful of others, "counts the cost" of any of their decisions?

Washington DC, the originator of unintended consequences.

Anyway, there's no one currently running that fits the bill as a Christian candidate, IMO.
As we know for Biblical interpretation there is only one meaning, but many applications. So while those verses have a singular meaning they do have other applications.

Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
That's an opinion of what is good. Many think his policies are just fine. Standards of what is "good" is only a matter of opinion.
Yeah, true but my opinion of good is gooder than his.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well that's a lot of pie in the sky and speculation over what is not and cannot be. We are all NEVER going to act like Jesus while in this earth
No speculation if you think about it. Christians with holier-than-thou attitudes force themselves onto their neighbor when Jesus says love thy neighbor. Since we all can't be like Jesus why try, is that what I'm hearing? The problem with the social issues is caused by Christians who feel they are doing God's work as if God can't do it himself. People flocked to Jesus because of love and he wasn't judgmental. Today's Christians would go to the Samaritan woman or the prostitute and criticize their sins and browbeat them with their perceived holiness (virtue signaling).

In politics having more Christians is not the answer, how has that been working out for us? The idol we have is the Party and not the Citizen and all those so-called Christians in government worship their idol.
I mean look at the early church. They had all kinds of divisions and they were a lot closer to Christ than we are and had the apostles with them.
This stuff was new to them.
The scriptures are pretty clear on the hatred toward Christians.
As a so-called "Christian nation" we have forced our values onto other nations, Russia, and China as if we are perfect. Dictating to those countries how to live that goes against their culture and beliefs. We are a big part of the hatred toward us but are too arrogant to recognize it.
The Middle East is a different story according to scripture. Their hate is real.
We won't believe in the anti-Christ while everyone else does. We won't follow his beliefs and doctrines which are going to going directly against God's word.
What are the doctrines of the antichrist isn't it the opposite of what Jesus said?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,704.00
Faith
Pentecostal
No speculation if you think about it. Christians with holier-than-thou attitudes force themselves onto their neighbor when Jesus says love thy neighbor. Since we all can't be like Jesus why try, is that what I'm hearing? The problem with the social issues is caused by Christians who feel they are doing God's work as if God can't do it himself. People flocked to Jesus because of love and he wasn't judgmental. Today's Christians would go to the Samaritan woman or the prostitute and criticize their sins and browbeat them with their perceived holiness (virtue signaling).

In politics having more Christians is not the answer, how has that been working out for us? The idol we have is the Party and not the Citizen and all those so-called Christians in government worship their idol.
The majority of Christians don't have a holier than thou attitude. That's the world talking. Cause Jesus called people to repentance too. People don't believe. You know they killed Jesus right? One of the issues is the facts that some sinners accepted Christ while others did not. You see the world today is more in line with the Pharisees than the sinners. They don't believe they are sinners. They either don't believe at all or they think they are good enough to get to heaven in their own cause they are good people. They don't need Jesus anymore than the Pharisees needed Jesus.

The Christians are the sinners of Christ day who realized they ARE sinners and NEED the Savior. We aren't the ones running around saying we don't need Christ. We aren't the ones rejecting him. We are ones who believe in him because we recognize our fallenness.
People didn't flock to Christ because he was no judgemental. They flocked to him because he did miracles and he spoke the truth. The woman at the well was amazed that Christ knew her sin. And he told her that he had something better and she accepted it. But the Pharisees rejected his message that they were sinners. They wanted him to leave them alone. Not to point out their sin because they wanted to believe their own righteousness would save them.

Just like so many today who reject Christ. They are good enough, they are not sinners. How dare anyone say otherwise.

Meanwhile Christians know they were and are sinners who are need of Christ. Because we all know we'd be totally lost without him. Just like those of Christ's day who did the same. They heeded Christ's call to come out from their sin and reject their pride. They humbled themselves before the Lord. Like Paul said, none of us can boast. Because we earned nothing and deserve nothing.

Those who reject Christ are like the Pharisees who believe they earned and deserve everything.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,704.00
Faith
Pentecostal
As a so-called "Christian nation" we have forced our values onto other nations, Russia, and China as if we are perfect. Dictating to those countries how to live that goes against their culture and beliefs. We are a big part of the hatred toward us but are too arrogant to recognize it.
The Middle East is a different story according to scripture. Their hate is real.
Are you kidding? Neither Russia nor China have accepted western Christian values nor do they live against their own values. They hate us because our values are not the same as theirs and not because we've dictated to them how they had to live.
What are the doctrines of the antichrist isn't it the opposite of what Jesus said?
The spirit of anti-Christ is alive and well in planet earth. But THE Anti-Christ isn't in control yet. That's coming.

• Prayers
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,704.00
Faith
Pentecostal
You can be a good Catholic, Christian, Athiest, Agnostic etc but also you can be bad. But compared to Jesus there is no one good.
All are bad and deserving of Judgement. A saved person is one who believes in the Lord Jesus Christ and it is His righteousness that is counted, not ours.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The majority of Christians don't have a holier than thou attitude. That's the world talking. Cause Jesus called people to repentance too. People don't believe. You know they killed Jesus right? One of the issues is the facts that some sinners accepted Christ while others did not. You see the world today is more in line with the Pharisees than the sinners. They don't believe they are sinners. They either don't believe at all or they think they are good enough to get to heaven in their own cause they are good people. They don't need Jesus anymore than the Pharisees needed Jesus.

The Christians are the sinners of Christ day who realized they ARE sinners and NEED the Savior. We aren't the ones running around saying we don't need Christ. We aren't the ones rejecting him. We are ones who believe in him because we recognize our fallenness.
People didn't flock to Christ because he was no judgemental. They flocked to him because he did miracles and he spoke the truth. The woman at the well was amazed that Christ knew her sin. And he told her that he had something better and she accepted it. But the Pharisees rejected his message that they were sinners. They wanted him to leave them alone. Not to point out their sin because they wanted to believe their own righteousness would save them.

Just like so many today who reject Christ. They are good enough, they are not sinners. How dare anyone say otherwise.

Meanwhile Christians know they were and are sinners who are need of Christ. Because we all know we'd be totally lost without him. Just like those of Christ's day who did the same. They heeded Christ's call to come out from their sin and reject their pride. They humbled themselves before the Lord. Like Paul said, none of us can boast. Because we earned nothing and deserve nothing.

Those who reject Christ are like the Pharisees who believe they earned and deserve everything.

I'm going to disagree with you a bit. If you go back to Christ's time, the Pharisee's tended to be the lay leaders in the Church, what various groups might call Elders or Deacons. They believed they were righteous, justifying themselves by their "adherence" to the Law of Moses. Then you had the Romans and the Samaritans who were the "non-believers."

So, for a Biblical analogy, I would think atheists would equate out to the Romans -- those that didn't believe in a monotheistic God -- and typically were not outwardly religious. You could use the Samaritans as those who are not Christians but are religious, such as the Jews and/or the Muslims.

The Pharisees, though, to me, still exist and are those in the Church. They are the Christians who are more interesting in following their interpretation of the Bible (much like the Biblical Pharisees) than in following Christ -- they justify their "righteousness" by their obedience to various commandments and frequently look down on those that aren't as "righteous" as they. I think they are the ones that, when Christ returns, will be separated out as "goats," and as described in Matthew 25, be shocked to be included with the "goats."

Upvote 0

sprknjc

John 15:13
Feb 3, 2024
Northern Virginia outer suburbs
✟6,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Does anyone know whether Nikki Haley goes to a traditional conservative Methodist church or a liberal left leaning Methodist church, which believe is in South Carolina?

Have not been able to find an answer on the Internet. Answer to this will make a difference to some voters.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone know whether Nikki Haley goes to a traditional conservative Methodist church or a liberal left leaning Methodist church, which believe is in South Carolina?

Have not been able to find an answer on the Internet. Answer to this will make a difference to some voters.
Why do you want to know? To find out whether she is a "real" Christian or not?

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private

It should not matter, although today it does.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Why not Jesus' two commandments? Do you not expect your politicians to follow the Golden Rule?

Personally, I would kinda hope they follow the Golden Rule.
YES

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The majority of Christians don't have a holier than thou attitude.
I don't know about that. Didn't you just assert that there is only one correct interpretation of scripture and that you know what that is?

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now you are preaching. What does your sermon have to do with a holier-than-thou attitude? Is the world talking? It's my observation or reflection of why the world is in its current situation. The social issues that have made it to headline news. It's my Christian leaders in government who have created regime change (how's that working for us?). It's the lies and deception from my government. Our arrogance to not recognize the hate toward us is of our own doing.

The Christians are the sinners of Christ day who realized they ARE sinners and NEED the Savior. We aren't the ones running around saying we don't need Christ. We aren't the ones rejecting him.
Is it possible we reject Christ's teaching? You are not special because you believe in God.
The woman at the well was amazed that Christ knew her sin.
Of course, she was amazed but Jesus didn't bring up her sins till she confessed unlike Christians today who like pointing out the sins of their neighbors. Christians today love casting stones remember the prostitute? It's like saying homeless people are drug addicts.
Your sermon was about nonbelievers. Are you puffing yourself up? Not recognizing our own sins is pride. Peace Out

because:
Romans 12:18
New International Version
18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

Upvote 0

sprknjc

John 15:13
Feb 3, 2024
Northern Virginia outer suburbs
✟6,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I since found where Nikki Haley goes to church regularly with her husband. "Haley and family are members of Mt. Horeb church in Lexington, South Carolina’s largest UMC congregation, with 5,000-plus members." per this article With Her Newsworthy ‘Firsts,’ Don’t Ignore Religion Angles In Nikki Haley vs. Donald Trump Her church disaffiliated recently from the United Methodist Church because of their so called progressive stance toward marriage which 97% of members approved per What Congress Reveals About the Methodist Schism . This article also speaks about her church being a conservative church.

Most Google user reviews on this church are positive, overall rating 4.9 out of 5 (37 reviews) at Mt. Horeb Church · 1205 Old Cherokee Rd, Lexington, SC 29072 , except this sole one from four years ago which unsure if any change in church circumstances since "My wife and I have been members for many years. We have witnessed first hand the growth of the church by leaps and bounds under the leadership of Jeff Kiersey. Within the last several months, the Pastor and the Administrative Council have adopted a Traditional Model approach at a time an International General Conference is taking place to decide on whether or not to embrace the LGBTQAI community in regards to marriage and ordination. Irregardless of the outcome, Mt. Horeb UMC leadership has elected not to embrace the LGBTQAI community but will continue to accept them as members; accepting their tithes and talents. I believe this decision is in direct contradiction of Jesus teachings of love for one another. I believe Jesus is calling me to be an advocate at a time most of the congregation is unaware or doesn’t fully understand the implications of the leadership’s position. I pray daily for the leadership to have a change of heart and have faith in Jesus greatest commandment of love for all of mankind. In the end, it is Jesus who will judge us and not the Pastor or leadership of the church."

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mike Pence on the God like qualities in my OP comes close 90+ out of 100 IMO.
Here is another Christian who broke the law with classified material. So we need more Christians in the white house? We forget that we are sinners like the rest but we've become arrogant.

• Agree
Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0