Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Berkshire Hathaway paths to success....

1. Liquor - Avoid body destroying alcohol
2. Ladies - Avoid destructive relationships
3. Leverage - Avoid debt
4. Lunacy - Avoid crazy at all costs, in which is more common than you think. It’s easy to slip into crazy. Just avoid it!
5. Literacy - “In my whole life, I have known no wise people (over a broad subject matter area) who didn’t read all the time — none, zero. You’d be amazed at how much Warren reads — and at how much I read. My children laugh at me. They think I’m a book with a couple of legs sticking out.” - Charlie Munger

Charlie Munger, who died at age 99 last week, attributed his success and longevity at least partially to a single piece of advice: “Avoid crazy at all costs. Crazy is way more common than you think,” said Munger. “It’s easy to slip into crazy. Just avoid it, avoid it, avoid it.” What exactly constituted “crazy,” in Munger’s estimation? “My partner Charlie says there is only three ways a smart person can go broke: liquor, ladies and leverage,” Buffett told CNBC’s “Squawk Box” in 2018. Berkshire Hathaway — Buffett’s investment holding company, where Munger served for decades as vice chairman — would “easily be worth twice what it is now” if the pair had used the strategy, rather than simply reinvesting its past earnings, Munger told Quick. "Live within your income and save so that you can invest. Learn what you need to learn." Munger and Buffett are famous for living well below their means, with both having lived in the same houses for decades rather than upgrading.

“I constantly see people rise in life who are not the smartest, sometimes not even the most diligent, but they are learning machines,” Munger said in a 2007 commencement address at the University of Southern California Law School. “They go to bed every night a little wiser than when they got up, and boy does that help — particularly when you have a long run ahead of you.”

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟109,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Great advice. I would argue, however, that avoiding debt is nearly impossible for the vast majority of people in America. A modest house in a safe neighborhood and one reliable vehicle will set you back hundreds of thousands of dollars. Maybe he means avoid as much debt as possible.

Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,188.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
4. Lunacy - Avoid crazy at all costs, in which is more common than you think. It’s easy to slip into crazy. Just avoid it!

Yeah, but Jesus is crazy. His family called Him crazy, His disciples also called Him crazy.

And Jesus did not deny he's crazy.

Ironically, Jesus isn't what you'll call a "worldly success". Although we Christians ascribe the ultimate victory to Jesus, He was practically a "loser" when He walked the Earth. Jesus said it Himself, "He has no place to lay His head" and He practically still lived with His parents if He wasn't preaching around in His 30's.

Money does strange things to people and I'm not talking about poor handling of money but making people become pawns of the devil without them knowing it and making you weak spiritually. Jesus practically calls money the devil.

I'm NOT saying we should all be poor but what I'm saying, if we're trying to achieve financial stability/security, we should do this WITHOUT neglecting or sacrificing the far more important things that Jesus taught to us.

Because if you are willing to change who you are for money then you can be bought with money.

4. Lunacy - Avoid crazy at all costs

No, no, no, just no. It's the same as saying, avoid Jesus. Instead follow the counterfeit Jesus cooked up by false religions who isn't crazy.

It's really ironic. Scientists, really intelligent people keeps projecting the worst case scenario for poor countries about the Covid pandemic.

I live in a poor country and our Covid death rate is over 10x less than USA and has achieved herd immunity much sooner.

The intelligence of man is foolishness to God I suppose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

3. Leverage - Avoid debt
5. Literacy - “In my whole life, I have known no wise people (over a broad subject matter area) who didn’t read all the time — none, zero. You’d be amazed at how much Warren reads — and at how much I read. My children laugh at me. They think I’m a book with a couple of legs sticking out.” - Charlie Munger

Charlie Munger, who died at age 99 last week, attributed his success and longevity at least partially to a single piece of advice: “Avoid crazy at all costs. Crazy is way more common than you think,” said Munger. “It’s easy to slip into crazy. Just avoid it, avoid it, avoid it.” What exactly constituted “crazy,” in Munger’s estimation? “My partner Charlie says there is only three ways a smart person can go broke: liquor, ladies and leverage,” Buffett told CNBC’s “Squawk Box” in 2018. Berkshire Hathaway — Buffett’s investment holding company, where Munger served for decades as vice chairman — would “easily be worth twice what it is now” if the pair had used the strategy, rather than simply reinvesting its past earnings, Munger told Quick. "Live within your income and save so that you can invest. Learn what you need to learn." Munger and Buffett are famous for living well below their means, with both having lived in the same houses for decades rather than upgrading.

“I constantly see people rise in life who are not the smartest, sometimes not even the most diligent, but they are learning machines,” Munger said in a 2007 commencement address at the University of Southern California Law School. “They go to bed every night a little wiser than when they got up, and boy does that help — particularly when you have a long run ahead of you.”

Looking at the USA using these criteria, I get the following:

1. Alcohol consumption in the USA is relatively high by historical standards but not as high as in the 1980s

2. Marriage infidelity and divorce rates are very high by historical standards. The average person has multiple partners in a lifetime whereas at the turn of the twentieth century, it was more likely they would only have their spouse. So the number of destructive relationships has increased dramatically.

3. Debt-to-income ratios have declined since peaking in 2007

4. Levels of crazy: What is mad? I would suggest choosing alternate religions or a merely secular lifestyle as the ultimate criteria. In this case, American mental health has been in decline since the turn of the century.

5. Literacy: People google for quick answers these days, they do not read books. Or so I thought, but it seems that book sales remain strong. Maybe the real question here relates to what people are reading though

So the biggest issues I see are the loss of a Christian worldview and marriage infidelity/culture of serial monogamy

Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Great advice. I would argue, however, that avoiding debt is nearly impossible for the vast majority of people in America. A modest house in a safe neighborhood and one reliable vehicle will set you back hundreds of thousands of dollars. Maybe he means avoid as much debt as possible.
My understanding of Munger's advice wasn't that he recommended avoiding all debt a la Dave Ramsey, but rather that he recommended avoiding debt for investment purposes because if the investment goes bad, you're still on the hook for the debt.

Upvote 0

Godsunworthyservant

Dec 10, 2023
WV
✟2,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

3. Leverage - Avoid debt

If you equate success with earthy treasures, then this might be good advice. Mr. Munger left an estimated net worth of $2.6B. From a Christian standpoint, Christ said "Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven." He also said, "a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth". In Luke Chapter 12 we find the following parable;
16 And he spake a parable unto them, saying, "The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:
17 And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?
18 And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.
19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
20 But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?"

Christ taught us to not build up treasures on this earth. He taught us to use whatever God blessed us with to help those less fortunate and to live by faith that God would provide our needs. So, if you want earthly wealth and recognition, then follow the path of Berkshire Hathaway. If you wish to lay up your treasure in heaven, then follow the path of Christ.

Upvote 0

Godsunworthyservant

Dec 10, 2023
WV
✟2,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Looking at the USA using these criteria, I get the following:

1. Alcohol consumption in the USA is relatively high by historical standards but not as high as in the 1980s

2. Marriage infidelity and divorce rates are very high by historical standards. The average person has multiple partners in a lifetime whereas at the turn of the twentieth century, it was more likely they would only have their spouse. So the number of destructive relationships has increased dramatically.

3. Debt-to-income ratios have declined since peaking in 2007

4. Levels of crazy: What is mad? I would suggest choosing alternate religions or a merely secular lifestyle as the ultimate criteria. In this case, American mental health has been in decline since the turn of the century.

5. Literacy: People google for quick answers these days, they do not read books. Or so I thought, but it seems that book sales remain strong. Maybe the real question here relates to what people are reading though

So the biggest issues I see are the loss of a Christian worldview and marriage infidelity/culture of serial monogamy
Just a note. The link you title 3. Debt to Income ratios... is actually not about individual debt to income ratios but rather about the household debt to the US GDP. Household debt to income also reached it's peak in 2007 at a staggering 137.93. In the latest figures from 2020 it was down to 107.05. For perspective in 1950 it was 35.76.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,788.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The Arch Bishop on Charlie Munger

Amazing_Munger_053122_md.jpg

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
My understanding of Munger's advice wasn't that he recommended avoiding all debt a la Dave Ramsey, but rather that he recommended avoiding debt for investment purposes because if the investment goes bad, you're still on the hook for the debt.

Yes, don't sink good money into bad.

His advice is really not aimed at the average person, anyways. Personal finances is completely separate issue from making a living as an investor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums