Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Alright, if you're going to press me on this - his going to play golf is more important not only only because of the callous timing, but because it's done to further his narrative/lie that there is no war on terror. He came into office with the attitude "now you've elected me, The One, I'm ending the war on terror, I'm apologizing to the Muslim world, everyone will love us, there's no such thing as Islamic terror, all peace and light now". So he intentionally downplays every terror act here and abroad by pretending "nothing to see here folks".

You know what your missing? Acts of terror serve no real strategic purpose other than the attention they are given. Therefore giving them undo attention only serves their agenda. Obama admitted that some of our actions in relation to the Middle East were wrong. What is wrong with doing that? I thought Christians believed in confession. He never suggested there was no terrorism. What he suggested is that labeling it "Islamic" terrorism only played into the terrorists hands. He is right on every account.

Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Here is what you said:

"But golf has caused a problem with him doing his job, as he himself admitted."

There is no evidence what so ever that it caused him a problem doing his job. It caused him a problem as to people's perceptions of whether he was doing his job, nothing more.
The evidence is he admitted it. Duh. What are you quibbling for?
You know what your missing? Acts of terror serve no real strategic purpose other than the attention they are given. Therefore giving them undo attention only serves their agenda.
So all those world leaders were wrong to assemble in Paris that day while Obama sat at home twiddling his thumbs? (Or playing golf maybe, I forget.)
Obama admitted that some of our actions in relation to the Middle East were wrong. What is wrong with doing that? I thought Christians believed in confession. He never suggested there was no terrorism. What he suggested is that labeling it "Islamic" terrorism only played into the terrorists hands. He is right on every account.
No, his apology was wide and sweeping, and that played right into the terrorists hands. And I'm still waiting for Muslims to apologize.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
The evidence is he admitted it. Duh.

No, the only thing he admitted is how the media presented it. You want to make it into something else.

So all those world leaders were wrong to assemble in Paris that day while Obama sat at home twiddling his thumbs?

I presume you are talking about another event entirely and if it is the one I think you are referring to, then yes, Obama probably should have been there.

No, his apology was wide and sweeping, and that played right into the terrorists hands.

What plays into terrorists hands is for the US to keep interfering in these countries to their detriment. Apologizing for that does not play into their hands.

And I'm still waiting for Muslims to apologize.

What would you have them apologize for, that they have a handful of fanatics?

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, the only thing he admitted is how the media presented it. You want to make it into something else.

You're wrong. He admitted it looked bad. And also, as I said in the post, he did what you're doing with his "but people are always picking on poor little me"-type comments.
What plays into terrorists hands is for the US to keep interfering in these countries to their detriment. Apologizing for that does not play into their hands.
Obama still has troops there, and still droning on.
What would you have them apologize for, that they have a handful of fanatics?

All of them?

Yes for the fanatics, and, if one Western leader can apologize for Western civilization, then one Muslim leader can step forward and apologize for Islamic civilization. You know, the conquests and invasions, the horrific slavery, Jim Crow Andalusia, etc.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
Yes for the fanatics, and, if one Western leader can apologize for Western civilization, then one Muslim leader can step forward and apologize for Islamic civilization. You know, the conquests and invasions, the horrific slavery, Jim Crow Andalusia, etc.

So if I can find one Muslim leader condemning Islamic terrorism, you'd be satisfied?

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
You're wrong. He admitted it looked bad.

He admitted the media made it look bad.

Obama still has troops there, and still droning on.

Yeah, it is a matter of "you break it, you buy it."

Yes for the fanatics

The fanatics are responsible for fanatics, not Muslims in general.

and, if one Western leader can apologize for Western civilization, then one Muslim leader can step forward and apologize for Islamic civilization.

Here's the thing. What terrorists are doing does represent Islamic civilization. When Obama refers to acts on the part of the West, he is not referring to acts of individuals or terrorists he is referring to policies of state. Let's look at what he actually said:

"We meet at a time of great tension between the United States and Muslims around the world -- tension rooted in historical forces that go beyond any current policy debate. The relationship between Islam and the West includes centuries of coexistence and cooperation, but also conflict and religious wars. More recently, tension has been fed by colonialism that denied rights and opportunities to many Muslims, and a Cold War in which Muslim-majority countries were too often treated as proxies without regard to their own aspirations. Moreover, the sweeping change brought by modernity and globalization led many Muslims to view the West as hostile to the traditions of Islam."

The first two statements talk about age old tensions but neither side is specifically blamed. It is the latter statements which are significant here, the reference to colonialism which doesn't begin until the end of eighteenth century but becomes most prominent after WWI and later of Cold War policies. He is not going back to ancient history.

You know, the conquests and invasions, the horrific slavery, Jim Crow Andalusia, etc.

i see, so you want to go back to ancient history. Slavery in the Islamic world was not nearly as horrific as the Trans-Atlantic slave trade. Forcibly drafting a twelve year boy and then training him to become the governor of a province may have been traumatic but it certainly wasn't a brutal was what Europeans did to Africans who they enslaved to grow sugar, working them 18 hours a day then chaining them to their beds at night. And referring to Muslim Spain as Jim Crow Andalusia is an anachronism if there ever was one. Segregation was not imposed on Christians and Jews, it simply allowed them to govern themselves by their own rules. I once asked Fernández-Armesto, the renowned historian of Muslim Spain, whether there were more Muslims or Christians in Islamic in Islamic Spain and he told me that was difficult to determine because among the lower classes the two religions had become so intermixed that often individuals didn't know which was their own community.

In any case, Obama wasn't apologizing for ancient history, he was apologizing for things that were done in our own lifetime.

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Uncle Siggy

Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information
Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There's lots bad about Obama.

177fa7f63743738b01e44492ee152dfe.jpg

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
He admitted the media made it look bad.

I found a clip. He says it right about 2:12. (And don't you love the tough interviews he gets? Starts out with "Supporters say you look exhausted. Are you exhausted?" Should have offered him a pillow.)

Yeah, it is a matter of "you break it, you buy it."

I wonder if Obama will keep blaming Bush for stuff after he leaves office, like for the rest of his life. "Honey, did you forget to take out the trash again?" "Michelle, you have to understand the situation I inherited..."
The fanatics are responsible for fanatics, not Muslims in general.

The religion is responsible for the fanatics.
Here's the thing. What terrorists are doing does represent Islamic civilization. When Obama refers to acts on the part of the West, he is not referring to acts of individuals or terrorists he is referring to policies of state. Let's look at what he actually said:

You're just separating men acting with government titles from men acting without government titles. History is made by individual people, as are policies of state. Ships don't sail across seas by themselves, neither do airplanes fly into buildings by themselves. If terrorists don't represent Islamic civilization, then neither does black slavery represent American civilization.
"We meet at a time of great tension between the United States and Muslims around the world -- tension rooted in historical forces that go beyond any current policy debate. The relationship between Islam and the West includes centuries of coexistence and cooperation, but also conflict and religious wars. More recently, tension has been fed by colonialism that denied rights and opportunities to many Muslims, and a Cold War in which Muslim-majority countries were too often treated as proxies without regard to their own aspirations. Moreover, the sweeping change brought by modernity and globalization led many Muslims to view the West as hostile to the traditions of Islam."
The first two statements talk about age old tensions but neither side is specifically blamed. It is the latter statements which are significant here, the reference to colonialism which doesn't begin until the end of eighteenth century but becomes most prominent after WWI and later of Cold War policies. He is not going back to ancient history.

Of course he can't go back to ancient history, he's an American president and America's not that old.

But he is blaming one side. In the first sentence - he mentions tensions "beyond any current policy debate". Policy debate is obviously referring to American policy. There is no "policy" on the terrorist side unless you call death and destruction a policy. So he's indicating that there is some American policy which would reduce the current tensions. It's laying the blame/responsibility on America, as if whether we continue to be terrorized depends upon which way our policy debate turns out.

Anyway what is the first part about - tensions between the U.S. and "Muslims around the world"? There would be no tensions but for the Middle Eastern ones killing people, and as for the others - I didn't know Muslims outside the Middle East had any serious beef with the U.S. Unless it has something to do with having the religion in common. Yeah, must be the religion.

As to the latter statements, it's just convenient for you to arbitrarily distinguish between history and ancient history. You know Muslims LOVE that history you're calling ancient history. But it's important that within the paragraph he switches from talking of "America" to "the West". They can be spoken of as one if you're talking about something they have in common, but not if you're talking about Middle Eastern colonization.

And the suicide bombers, generally young men in their 20's that end their own lives - they don't give their lives over Cold War policies. They don't know anything about policy other than what is propagandized to them by hateful religious leaders. Again, it's the religion.

The last sentence I find really interesting. He's echoing what Netanyahu said when he spoke of "the clash between modernity and medievalism". What's interesting is that, just taking one element of my church - the liturgy - we use a liturgy which is centuries older than Islam. People make jokes about how we've never change our traditions and how adverse we are to doing so. Yet there's no clash between Orthodoxy and modernity. That's enough to tell you that Islam just has lousy traditions. But of course the statement isn't the whole truth, because it's not just the modern world; Islam didn't like the ancient world any better. Islam has always clashed violently with everything around it, before it was old enough to even have formed traditions. Right from the beginning, they made war when they were able to, they made peace when they needed to.
i see, so you want to go back to ancient history. Slavery in the Islamic world was not nearly as horrific as the Trans-Atlantic slave trade. Forcibly drafting a twelve year boy and then training him to become the governor of a province may have been traumatic but it certainly wasn't a brutal was what Europeans did to Africans who they enslaved to grow sugar, working them 18 hours a day then chaining them to their beds at night. And referring to Muslim Spain as Jim Crow Andalusia is an anachronism if there ever was one. Segregation was not imposed on Christians and Jews, it simply allowed them to govern themselves by their own rules. I once asked Fernández-Armesto, the renowned historian of Muslim Spain, whether there were more Muslims or Christians in Islamic in Islamic Spain and he told me that was difficult to determine because among the lower classes the two religions had become so intermixed that often individuals didn't know which was their own community.

In any case, Obama wasn't apologizing for ancient history, he was apologizing for things that were done in our own lifetime.
Islamic slavery was much more horrific. I wonder if as a Bahai if you don't have some bias. My goodness, Wikipedia whitewashes everything Islamic and even it is more forthcoming than you sometimes!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
I wonder if Obama will keep blaming Bush for stuff after he leaves office,

LOL. I was saying, "you break it, you buy it" when Obama made getting out of Iraq one of his campaign promise. I even wrote them saying this could result in genocide.

The religion is responsible for the fanatics.

If your willing to accept this as principle for every atrocity committed in the same of Christianity, I'll buy it.

You're just separating men acting with government titles from men acting without government titles.

There is a difference, just as there is a difference between the Pope calling for a Crusade or an Inquisition and some street preacher driving his car into a crowd of people mocking his sermons.

History is made by individual people, as are policies of state.

Policies of states are made by groups of people who represent their respective countries. Terrorists represent nobody.

If terrorists don't represent Islamic civilization, then neither does black slavery represent American civilization.

Wrong, because our laws permitted it. That's why modern human trafficking does not represent America, because while it goes on in America we as a country do not approve of it.

But he is blaming one side.

And what is the other side you expect him to blame, the Egyptians?

So he's indicating that there is some American policy which would reduce the current tensions.

No, he is indicating that certain American policies created those tensions.

Anyway what is the first part about - tensions between the U.S. and "Muslims around the world"? There would be no tensions but for the Middle Eastern ones killing people,

Nonsense. There were tensions as soon as the US voted to turn over Arab lands to the Israelis. There was tension as soon as the Iranians throughout the Shah in favor of a democracy back in the 50's and the CIA put the Shah back in.

And the suicide bombers, generally young men in their 20's that end their own lives - they don't give their lives over Cold War policies. They don't know anything about policy other than what is propagandized to them by hateful religious leaders. Again, it's the religion.

Nonsense. Islam is a religion which is 1400 years old. The first suicide bombing occurred not until 1983. Its purpose was to get the US out of Lebanon. It was repeated because it worked. The US left Lebanon.

Islamic slavery was much more horrific. I wonder if as a Bahai if you don't have some bias. My goodness, Wikipedia whitewashes everything Islamic and even it is more forthcoming than you sometimes!

Or maybe you are just ignorant of the horrors of the Trans-atlantic slave trade.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If your willing to accept this as principle for every atrocity committed in the same of Christianity, I'll buy it.

Of course not, don't be silly.
There is a difference, just as there is a difference between the Pope calling for a Crusade or an Inquisition and some street preacher driving his car into a crowd of people mocking his sermons.

Not everybody in Canada plays or enjoys hockey, not everybody in Jamaica likes reggae, but enough people do that it can be said to represent a part of their civilization.
Policies of states are made by groups of people who represent their respective countries. Terrorists represent nobody.

ISIS has a country and a flag. So does Iran.
Wrong, because our laws permitted it. That's why modern human trafficking does not represent America, because while it goes on in America we as a country do not approve of it.

Can't believe you said that. As if Islam isn't the most legalistic religion there is, with laws governing and permitting all manner of barbarism.
And what is the other side you expect him to blame, the Egyptians?

I blame Muhammad.
No, he is indicating that certain American policies created those tensions.

We agree he's blaming America.
Nonsense. There were tensions as soon as the US voted to turn over Arab lands to the Israelis. There was tension as soon as the Iranians throughout the Shah in favor of a democracy back in the 50's and the CIA put the Shah back in.

Really? So Indonesians and Kazakhstanis got real riled up over that, did they?
Nonsense. Islam is a religion which is 1400 years old. The first suicide bombing occurred not until 1983. Its purpose was to get the US out of Lebanon. It was repeated because it worked. The US left Lebanon.

Don't know what that has to do with what I said.
Or maybe you are just ignorant of the horrors of the Trans-atlantic slave trade.

No. American slaves weren't castrated, weren't worked literally to death, and the women weren't kept as sex slaves, for examples. And when I said it was more horrific that's also in terms of endurance too, since it still goes on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Of course not, don't be silly.

Then you are being inconsistent, if not hypocritical.

ISIS has a country and a flag.

ISIS has seized territory. Having a flag proves nothing other than the apocalyptic dimensions of that particular flag, but that is another subject.
It does not have a country. Most ISIS members aren't even Syrians.

So does Iran.

Iran has a country and a flag, its true. It had those things when the Pahlavis ruled the country. It had one when they threw the Shah out in the 50's and they had one when the CIA put him back in, not that it did them a lot of good.

Can't believe you said that. As if Islam isn't the most legalistic religion there is,

What does legalism have to do with any of this?

I blame Muhammad.

Yeah, well he didn't. Deal with it.

Don't know what that has to do with what I said.

If suicide bombings didn't begin until 30 years ago, then it obviously has nothing to do with historical Islam.

No. American slaves weren't castrated, weren't worked literally to death,

They weren't castrated it is true but as far as being literally worked to death that was much more likely to occur on a sugar plantation in the Americas than it would in the Islamic world. Most Muslims stopped using slaves for hard labor around the ninth century after the Zanj revolt. Instead they were used primarily as household servants which is why the males were castrated, so they could work around the women in the haram.

and the women weren't kept as sex slaves, for examples.

If you believe that you need to read your American history. Here is the real difference between female slaves in America and those in the Islamic world. When a master had sex with his slave in America, the offspring were still slaves whereas in the Islamic world the offspring were considered legitimate children who inherited to their father's status. Ordinarily the slave mother would then be freed.
Do you consider Hagar a 'sex slave'?

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,296.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Any bias she would have as a Baha'i would be negative as they are considered apostates by Muslims and are actively persecuted in their own motherland, Iran.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Then you are being inconsistent, if not hypocritical.

There are no Christian groups committing atrocities. What, are you thinking of that little group in Africa?
ISIS has seized territory. Having a flag proves nothing other than the apocalyptic dimensions of that particular flag, but that is another subject.
It does not have a country. Most ISIS members aren't even Syrians.

They disagree with you.
What does legalism have to do with any of this?

You said America was different because it did an immoral thing under authority of law. The Koran and hadith are virtual compendiums of legal rulings on how to do many immoral things. And Islam isn't much interested in separating mosque and state.
If suicide bombings didn't begin until 30 years ago, then it obviously has nothing to do with historical Islam.

I didn't say they didn't begin until 30 years ago.
They weren't castrated it is true but as far as being literally worked to death that was much more likely to occur on a sugar plantation in the Americas than it would in the Islamic world. Most Muslims stopped using slaves for hard labor around the ninth century after the Zanj revolt. Instead they were used primarily as household servants which is why the males were castrated, so they could work around the women in the haram.

If you believe that you need to read your American history. Here is the real difference between female slaves in America and those in the Islamic world. When a master had sex with his slave in America, the offspring were still slaves whereas in the Islamic world the offspring were considered legitimate children who inherited to their father's status. Ordinarily the slave mother would then be freed.
Do you consider Hagar a 'sex slave'?

We're far off-topic from my little golf joke. We'll agree that all slavery is bad, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention one obvious bright spot in American slavery: the descendants get to live in America, whereas the other descendants get to live in Medieval-land which you and Obama tell us is just so misunderstood: Blacks In North Africa and Middle East Often Face Virulent Racism from Arabs

No talk of reparations over there.
Any bias she would have as a Baha'i would be negative as they are considered apostates by Muslims and are actively persecuted in their own motherland, Iran.

One would think that, but Baha'is believe Muhammad is a true prophet and Islam is a true religion.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
There are no Christian groups committing atrocities. What, are you thinking of that little group in Africa?

I said every atrocity committed in the name of Christianity. I didn't distinguish between individuals and groups, not that there aren't groups committing atrocities, and no in Africa, these are not little groups.

They disagree with you.

Doesn't matter what they think. No country in the world has recognized ISIS as a legitimate state.

You said America was different because it did an immoral thing under authority of law.

No, I didn't say it was different because of that. I'm saying it was a part of American culture because it was allowed to do this by US law.

The Koran and hadith are virtual compendiums of legal rulings on how to do many immoral things.

Anything 'immoral' in the Qur'an can be found in the Bible as well. Hadith, of course are another matter. I don't give ahadith much credence because they are compiled centuries after Muhammad.

And Islam isn't much interested in separating mosque and state.

Islam isn't a person that it could be interested in anything. As for the mosque, it is a place of prayer period.

I didn't say they didn't begin until 30 years ago.

You were insisting they were somehow an Islamic practice.
We're far off-topic from my little golf joke. We'll agree that all slavery is bad, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention one obvious bright spot in American slavery: the descendants get to live in America, whereas the other descendants get to live in Medieval-land which you and Obama tell us is just so misunderstood: Blacks In North Africa and Middle East Often Face Virulent Racism from Arabs

These are guest workers not the descendants of slaves. There isn't a huge diaspora community from African slaves in the Middle East (though there are some) and if you think about it the reason should be obvious. If the males were castrated and the women became legal concubines whose children inherited the status of their slave master fathers, their offspring soon integrated into the local populations, with their DNA mixed up with everyone else's.

No talk of reparations over there.

Who you going to pay reparations to if the children of slave mothers inherited the slave master's wealth?

How long do you think slavery would have lasted in this country if the black offspring of all the slave masters got to inherit the plantation? No one would be talking about reparations here either.

One would think that, but Baha'is believe Muhammad is a true prophet and Islam is a true religion.

True. We also believe Moses is a true prophet and Judaism a true religion notwithstanding he did everything you would accuse Muhammad of and more.

Upvote 0