United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes! The Good Old Days!
Parents can still beat their kids for lying, stealing, for being mean to gay people, etc.
Typically what happens is that very religious parents get upset that their kids are being taught facts about their religion and others rather than being indoctrinated by propaganda from the church and parents on the same topics.
Do you have statics verifying this 'typical' reasoning among Christian parents?
so home school your kids or go private if you feel that the government schools are not educating your kids properly.
You can tell them to, but that doesn't stop the complaining.
Seeing that these parents pay taxes for their children to attend public school do you believe they should be compensated in some way for educating their children outside the public school system, for not using the services of public system, and not burdening the public system with their children? Private school and homeschooling are quite expensive.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I think some people are overlooking the fact that this story is fake. It's not true.

But that's not what's important. What's important is the truthiness of the story. It feels like it could be true because it makes Me ANGRY!!

Pssshhhh...It's like you think factual accuracy and honesty are important.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Since when is the school allowed to test students about religion? Also the schools isn't supposes to force kids to listen to religious teaching.

There is nothing prohibited about teaching a comparative religion course at a public school. And obviously if you are going to have such a course, there are likely to be test questions. How could you teach AP World History without talking about religion?

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
The contemporary depiction of Santa Clause owes to German popular culture penetrating British and American life in the nineteenth century. The tradition can be traced to Saint Nicolas though and like all things culture it has changed over time.

I think it is Dutch, not German.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟914,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Parents can still beat their kids for lying, stealing, for being mean to gay people, etc.

Do you have statics verifying this 'typical' reasoning among Christian parents?

Seeing that these parents pay taxes for their children to attend public school do you believe they should be compensated in some way for educating their children outside the public school system, for not using the services of public system, and not burdening the public system with their children? Private school and homeschooling are quite expensive.
If they cannot accept that other people have different views AND that children would benefit from learning what others believe, and frankly probably SHOULD as in the real world they WILL run into all kinds of people then yes they should do it themselves. If they are not satified with what is being taught on a strictly fact driven basis then do not send your kids there.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
If they cannot accept that other people have different views AND that children would benefit from learning what others believe, and frankly probably SHOULD as in the real world they WILL run into all kinds of people then yes they should do it themselves. If they are not satified with what is being taught on a strictly fact driven basis then do not send your kids there.

Unfortunately, the opinion of the teacher does enter in here. I remember learning about Islam for the first time in Middle School. After learning the Five Pillars, I raised my hand and asked what was the difference between Christianity and Islam. "Oh," my teacher said, "Islam believes in spreading its religion by the sword." It was a few years later I learned Christianity did more of this than Islam ever did.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Forget about the religious implications, think about the commercial implications.
Pat Robertson preaches against the commercial aspect. I often get some of my major purchases this time of year because this is when they offer their best prices as a incentive to get people out shopping. I got a Amazon Fire for $35 and they were selling Chrome Computers for $99.

And since when did Santa Claus become a religious figure?
Santa Claus became a secular character in the early 1800's. Saint Nicholas was the Archbishop of Myra (15 March 270 – 6 December 343). He was considered to be a Saint even before the Catholic Church made it official.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Parents are expected to discipline their children. The authorities know the difference between discipline and abuse. Perhaps we need some sort of parenting classes where parents can learn the difference between discipline and abuse. Maybe high schools should be required to do more to teach parenting skills. High School students are tested before they can graduate, are they tested to see if they know the difference between abuse and discipline? Teachers are trained to know the difference because they are required by law to report any abuse for investigation by the proper agency's.

Upvote 0

AnonymousRain

Dec 5, 2015
London
✟15,965.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
You were expecting honesty maybe? A degree of skepticism in response to outlandish and outrageous claims? With emotional satisfaction on the line? Wow, are you ever parking your mobile home in the wrong swamp.
Not everyone lives where you do. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,126,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree but that is not what I asked you. Will you answer the questions I asked? I would like your views on this.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟914,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I agree but that is not what I asked you. Will you answer the questions I asked? I would like your views on this.
Well, I guess in a sense they benefit in the sense that OTHER kids get an education.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,126,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
so home school your kids or go private if you feel that the government schools are not educating your kids properly.

Well, I guess in a sense they benefit in the sense that OTHER kids get an education.
The question that I asked you is above.....
Would you state your views on this question? Should these parents be compensated in some way?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟914,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Would you state your views on this question? Should these parents be compensated in some way?
In a sense that is compensation.

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
People without kids pay taxes towards education too. They go towards ensuring that we all live in an educated society, with the countless benefits that brings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single

Nope. Because the purpose of public school education is to create an "enlightened electorate" necessary to make a Democracy function. I sent my son to the most expensive Prep school in Mississippi, but I don't resent a penny I spent in property taxes to educate all those children who couldn't afford the school where I sent my son. If the public schools had been better funded in the first place, I might not have had to provide him with private schooling.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,126,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In a sense that is compensation.
What is compensation for monetary expenses? You lost me? So you are saying you don't have a view on this?
People without kids pay taxes towards education too. They go towards ensuring that we all live in an educated society, with the countless benefits that brings.
I agree that we should all being paying towards education and for the reasons that you stated. But when our public schools are not able to provide the best shouldn't parents of a lower income have an equalizer that will help them to get their kids into a better education system? If they are paying both taxes towards the system they are not using and paying for a better system for their child maybe they shouldn't have to pay for both?
Nope. Because the purpose of public school education is to create an "enlightened electorate" necessary to make a Democracy function. I sent my son to the most expensive Prep school in Mississippi, but I don't resent a penny I spent in property taxes to educate all those children who couldn't afford the school where I sent my son. If the public schools had been better funded in the first place, I might not have had to provide him with private schooling.
This isn't about resentment, it's about opportunity for more people who do not make the kind of money that they can afford to be supporting both a private education and a public system they are not using for their children.
You are obviously in a better position than a whole lot of other families. It is the more financially elite that can afford private schools and taxes to support a system they are not using. So your kids start out with a big advantage over kids in the public school system and you know this.

Upvote 0

david rodriguez

Dec 14, 2015
hawaii
✟8,167.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
http://nypost.com/2015/12/13/sensitive-principal-bans-santa-and-other-religious-symbols/

“We definitely can’t say Christmas, nothing with Christmas on it, nothing with Santa,” PTA president Mimi Ferrer said administrators told her. “No angels. We can’t even have a star because it can represent a religious system, like the Star of David.”
From what I've read, there is an act of Law, called the "The Federal Equal Access Act" that allows students to 'assemble' as they see fit given they adhere to the amendments of the Act. Whether or not this Act is still under State Government's support is unknown by me.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
From what I've read, there is an act of Law, called the "The Federal Equal Access Act" that allows students to 'assemble' as they see fit given they adhere to the amendments of the Act. Whether or not this Act is still under State Government's support is unknown by me.

I'm not sure what the Equal Access Act would have to do with this.

Upvote 0