www.abbafather.co
✟16,459.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Today in God's grace by the blood shed by His Son all grace believer-saints have been sanctified (set apart) at the moment of trusting in the faith of Christ, who was faithful to save us; furthermore, God now desires to have grace believer-saints walk worthy in the work of faith, labor of love, and patience of hope in the sight of suffering with Christ today when we receive rejection for preaching the grace gospel of salvation to a lost world.

These key attributes defined by God as communicated to us through Paul are: work of faith; labor of love; patience of hope – together, all three are represented succinctly by another Bible terminology – which is the word 'sanctification'. Sanctification is a quality of the believers walk after initial salvation – it is his /her sanctification. This word was first introduced by God unto the believers in the books of Acts 20:32 and Romans 12:1.

The Scripture which God and the resurrected Christ Jesus revealed directly to the Apostle Paul in the book of Thessalonians outlines a most prominent summary of our life in sanctification for the believer-saint. Since Paul writes to to us to remember his knowledge of the Thessalonians saints, he pays tribute to their un-ceasing work of faith, labor of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ. These attributes of believers are paramount qualities throughout their walk after our initial salvation by the saving grace of God and His Son Christ Jesus. Sanctification is clearly God's will for how saints are to operate in today grace among ourselves.

God's inheritance in the saints : www.abbafather.co/abbafather-sanctification.html

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes my pastor does preach a lot about sanctification. He says that its like washing out the inside of the cup, esp if you drink milo, and theres still bits sticking inside. You need to be washed on the inside as well as the outside.

Reactions: bibledoctrine
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Sanctification isn't a process by which we become more and more holy it is an act of God in and for the believer and is a new creation that God makes us when He gives us life and faith in Christ.

The words sanctify, sanctified and sanctification have three meanings and uses in the Scriptures: to be set apart for God as holy for His use, which is the primary meaning of the word; to be declared holy by God for His use and to be made holy by God for His use.

We are set apart by God as His holy people in eternal electing love. An example is the vessels in the Tabernacle being common in their normal use but were set apart by God as holy for His use. The nature of the vessels didn't change and they didn't become something that they were not already.

The second is to be declared holy by God as the vessels were again. They still didn't change in their nature or essential elements but were simply declared to be separate for God for His use. We are declared holy by God in the justifying righteousness of Christ being imputed to us.

The third is to be actually made holy by God. In this the act of God on the chosen vessel actually changes its nature. We are changed and actually made holy by God in the new birth in which He raises us from the dead and gives us life and faith in Christ. He makes us a new creation not a reformation of the old man. The old man, called the flesh, is still the same as it always was. It doesn't need to be taken to the hospital of religion to be cured it must be taken to the cross to be crucified. Gal. 2:20.
The Scriptures that show this are: 2Cor. 5:17, Eph. 4:24, 1John 3:9
The word is never used in the Scriptures as a process in which we co-operate with God by washing our selves or turning from sin. That is what repentance and loving obedience is. We walk by faith not by sight and hate even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Don't confuse sanctification, which is an act of God alone in us and for us, with repentance and obedience. They are not the same thing. 1Cor. 1:30

Last edited:
Reactions: PrettyboyAndy
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Sanctification isn't a process by which we become more and more holy it is an act of God in and for the believer and is a new creation that God makes us when He gives us life and faith in Christ.

The third is to be actually made holy by God. In this the act of God on the chosen vessel actually changes its nature. We are changed and actually made holy by God in the new birth in which He raises us from the dead and gives us life and faith in Christ. He makes us a new creation not a reformation of the old man. The old man, called the flesh, is still the same as it always was. It doesn't need to be taken to the hospital of religion to be cured it must be taken to the cross to be crucified. Gal. 2:20.
The Scriptures that show this are: 2Cor. 5:17, Eph. 4:24, 1John 3:9
The word is never used in the Scriptures as a process in which we co-operate with God by washing our selves or turning from sin. That is what repentance and loving obedience is. We walk by faith not by sight and hate even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Don't confuse sanctification, which is an act of God alone in us and for us, with repentance and obedience. They are not the same thing. 1Cor. 1:30
Although I agree that sanctification is not by our works and is not progressive in that respect, can it not be said that sanctification is progressive in so far as it refers to God causing His separated one’s to grow in holiness?
Consequently, would not God’s work of sanctification include the repentance and obedience which He induces upon the heart and conduct?

Reactions: PrettyboyAndy
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Although I agree that sanctification is not by our works and is not progressive in that respect, can it not be said that sanctification is progressive in so far as it refers to God causing His separated one’s to grow in holiness?
Consequently, would not God’s work of sanctification include the repentance and obedience which He induces upon the heart and conduct?
There are no degrees to righteousness or holiness. You either are righteous and holy or you are not. You can't become more holy any more than you can become more righteous. Sanctification is an act of God in the new birth which make all true believers a new creation. We are as holy as God's own Son being united to Him by faith and one with Him in all things.

The new man is created in true righteousness and Holiness being partakers of the divine nature in Christ.
(Eph 4:24) And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

(2Pe 1:4) Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Still the old man is with us while we live in this body of death and seeks to reign over us as it once did. Our two natures battle against one another every day and we do grow in grace and knowledge but that isn't sanctification.

As I said in my earlier post sanctification is always an act of God in us and for us just as justification and redemption is. We take no part in it but are simply the recipients of His grace and mercy and blessings, justification and sanctification being part of those blessings and mercy and grace.

In the new birth or new creation, not a reformation of the old nature but a new creation, we are given a new heart, a new nature and a new will that seeks to honor God and follow Christ. Our works of love isn't sanctification but simply loving obedience. We are sanctified in being new creatures in Christ.

Religion has turned sanctification into something which we participate in as we grow in grace and turn from our sin. It makes sanctification to be a work of man co-operating with God in making us holy. It simply is a false doctrine and does not recognize the truth that just as justification is a one time act of God so is sanctification. I have shown you the meaning of the word and how it is used in the Scriptures but I can give you more if you desire. God does not make us holy by a process or by helping us to make ourselves holy He makes us holy by making us new creations in Christ.
There is coming a day when we will drop this stinking corpse of death and put on a new body that is not corrupt and full of sin. Then we will be wholely committed, consecrated and completely without sin. The old man called the flesh will fall away and we will be as we desire to be now.
But in this body we live and the old man still plagues us and tempts us. Still our new man, which is Christ in you the hope of glory, is in control and sin cannot have dominion over us. That is why I say that the old man cannot be taken to the hospital of religious practices and works to be healed for it can never become anything other than sin. The old man must be taken to the cross to be crucified, put to death with Christ Jesus the Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
There are no degrees to righteousness or holiness. You either are righteous and holy or you are not. You can't become more holy any more than you can become more righteous. Sanctification is an act of God in the new birth which make all true believers a new creation. We are as holy as God's own Son being united to Him by faith and one with Him in all things.

The new man is created in true righteousness and Holiness being partakers of the divine nature in Christ.
(Eph 4:24) And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

(2Pe 1:4) Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Still the old man is with us while we live in this body of death and seeks to reign over us as it once did. Our two natures battle against one another every day and we do grow in grace and knowledge but that isn't sanctification.

As I said in my earlier post sanctification is always an act of God in us and for us just as justification and redemption is. We take no part in it but are simply the recipients of His grace and mercy and blessings, justification and sanctification being part of those blessings and mercy and grace.

In the new birth or new creation, not a reformation of the old nature but a new creation, we are given a new heart, a new nature and a new will that seeks to honor God and follow Christ. Our works of love isn't sanctification but simply loving obedience. We are sanctified in being new creatures in Christ.

Religion has turned sanctification into something which we participate in as we grow in grace and turn from our sin. It makes sanctification to be a work of man co-operating with God in making us holy. It simply is a false doctrine and does not recognize the truth that just as justification is a one time act of God so is sanctification. I have shown you the meaning of the word and how it is used in the Scriptures but I can give you more if you desire. God does not make us holy by a process or by helping us to make ourselves holy He makes us holy by making us new creations in Christ.
There is coming a day when we will drop this stinking corpse of death and put on a new body that is not corrupt and full of sin. Then we will be wholely committed, consecrated and completely without sin. The old man called the flesh will fall away and we will be as we desire to be now.
But in this body we live and the old man still plagues us and tempts us. Still our new man, which is Christ in you the hope of glory, is in control and sin cannot have dominion over us. That is why I say that the old man cannot be taken to the hospital of religious practices and works to be healed for it can never become anything other than sin. The old man must be taken to the cross to be crucified, put to death with Christ Jesus the Lord.
Are you referring to the righteousness of Christ imputed to the believer whereby God declares that believer as perfectly righteous in Christ?
The reason I ask is because I'm referring the righteousness of Christ which is imparted to the believer gradually conforming him to the moral image of Christ.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Are you referring to the righteousness of Christ imputed to the believer whereby God declares that believer as perfectly righteous in Christ?
The reason I ask is because I'm referring the righteousness of Christ which is imparted to the believer gradually conforming him to the moral image of Christ.
The righteousness of Christ imparted to the believer is a one time act of God when He makes us a new creation. We have a righteous nature that cannot sin.

(1Jn 3:9) Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
The new nature that we have is Christ in us the hope of glory and it is holy and righteous. It is the new man Paul spoke of in Eph. 4: 24, the new creation he wrote about in 1Cor. 5:17, the spiritual man he spoke of in Gal. 2:20 and 5:17. It is the new birth that the Lord Jesus spoke of to Nicodemus in John 3:5-6.

His seed which John speaks of is Christ.

Upvote 0

PrettyboyAndy

• Andy •
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Toronto/NY
✟93,218.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hey Twin and RP,

I did use to think of Sanctification as a continual walk, like the BibleDoctrine said, - This would be a verse that would come to mind.

Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6

Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. John 15:2

Now that Twin, demonstrated Sanctification, and used the example of the vessels in the tabernacle, I understand it a lot more.

But what would you call: Philippians 1:6 or John 15:2 - what would be the biblical definition of this continual work in the believer?

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hey Twin and RP,

I did use to think of Sanctification as a continual walk, like the BibleDoctrine said, - This would be a verse that would come to mind.

Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6

Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. John 15:2

Now that Twin, demonstrated Sanctification, and used the example of the vessels in the tabernacle, I understand it a lot more.

But what would you call: Philippians 1:6 or John 15:2 - what would be the biblical definition of this continual work in the believer?
In Phil 1:6 Paul is speaking of the work of giving life and faith to those believers in Philippi. He is talking about heir regeneration and keeping by the mercy and grace of the Lord. They misuse the passage who use it to mean sanctification. Paul is simply telling them that he is confident that God will continue what He has begun in them which is faith in Christ.

The passage in John 15:2 is the Lord Jesus speaking of the Jews and their religion. It was what He commonly did. All of His teachings and instructions were pointed at the Jews and their false religion. He was telling the Jews that they were to be cut off and those who believed would go through trials and afflictions as God promise in Isa. 48:10 that He would purify His people and had chosen them in the furnace of affliction. Growing in grace and knowledge of Christ is how we learn more of Him and therefore follow Him. The more we see our need of Him and learn of His wondrous Person and work in us and for us the more we are committed to Him and the more we seek to honor Him. But that isn't sanctification it is growth. Like a child who can only handle milk at first but as it grows it becomes stronger and learns it matures into a grown adult. Sanctification isn't growing it is being set apart by God as holy to Him alone, declared holy by God for Him alone and the be made holy by Him for His use alone. Religion confuses growth and sanctification.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
In Phil 1:6 Paul is speaking of the work of giving life and faith to those believers in Philippi. He is talking about heir regeneration and keeping by the mercy and grace of the Lord. They misuse the passage who use it to mean sanctification. Paul is simply telling them that he is confident that God will continue what He has begun in them which is faith in Christ.

The passage in John 15:2 is the Lord Jesus speaking of the Jews and their religion. It was what He commonly did. All of His teachings and instructions were pointed at the Jews and their false religion. He was telling the Jews that they were to be cut off and those who believed would go through trials and afflictions as God promise in Isa. 48:10 that He would purify His people and had chosen them in the furnace of affliction. Growing in grace and knowledge of Christ is how we learn more of Him and therefore follow Him. The more we see our need of Him and learn of His wondrous Person and work in us and for us the more we are committed to Him and the more we seek to honor Him. But that isn't sanctification it is growth. Like a child who can only handle milk at first but as it grows it becomes stronger and learns it matures into a grown adult. Sanctification isn't growing it is being set apart by God as holy to Him alone, declared holy by God for Him alone and the be made holy by Him for His use alone. Religion confuses growth and sanctification.
Of all the study I’ve done over the last couple of decades concerning this topic, I can’t think of one theologian that did not assert the progressive nature of sanctification. Of course this does not mean they are not out there, but I’m thinking of men like A.W. Pink, John Frame, John Murray, J.C. Ryle, to name just a few.

However, your points have moved me to study this topic afresh.

Here is what I discovered.
The Greek word, hagiasmos covers most terms translated into English as sanctification or holiness. As such, I’ve found this word, not only in those verses which reference a definitive act of God, but also in what appears to be sanctification as the result of our ‘pursuit of holiness’.

Here are some examples where I found this Greek word used in progressive terms:

Romans 6:19
Romans 6:22
1 Thessalonians 4:3
Hebrews 12:14

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Of all the study I’ve done over the last couple of decades concerning this topic, I can’t think of one theologian that did not assert the progressive nature of sanctification. Of course this does not mean they are not out there, but I’m thinking of men like A.W. Pink, John Frame, John Murray, J.C. Ryle, to name just a few.

However, your points have moved me to study this topic afresh.

Here is what I discovered.
The Greek word, hagiasmos covers most terms translated into English as sanctification or holiness. As such, I’ve found this word, not only in those verses which reference a definitive act of God, but also in what appears to be sanctification as the result of our ‘pursuit of holiness’.

Here are some examples where I found this Greek word used in progressive terms:

Romans 6:19
Romans 6:22
1 Thessalonians 4:3
Hebrews 12:14
Every modern theologian has been influenced by the Puritans who actually came up with progressive sanctification. Their influence has spread until now it is a common belief among Evangelicals including Arminians.

To answer your questions though:
(Rom 6:19) I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.

(Rom 6:20) For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.

(Rom 6:21) What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.

(Rom 6:22) But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

All Paul is telling the Romans is that they should live in the Spirit and not yield themselves to the old nature. He uses the word holiness to refer to being set apart for God's use. As I said that is the primary meaning of the word.

(1Th 4:1) Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more.

(1Th 4:2) For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.

(1Th 4:3) For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:

(1Th 4:4) That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;

(1Th 4:5) Not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles which know not God:

Again Paul isn't claiming that the Thessalonians are to progressively sanctify themselves but that the thing that sets them apart as God's is that they no longer practice fornication as they once did especially as it was considered a ritual in the service and worship of their former gods. You will remember the commandments that Paul gave them from the council at Jerusalem?
(Act 15:19) Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:

(Act 15:20) But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

Paul was simply exhorting the Thessalonian believers to keep themselves from their former lusts and practices of religion.

(Heb 12:14) Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

Are you holy? If you died today would you have the holiness that you need to see the Lord? I ask only to make a point.

The holiness without which no man shall see the Lord is Christ in us the hope of glory. It is the holiness of the seed of Christ in us by new creation not a progressive holiness by which we become more and more holy. I remind you that there are no degrees to righteousness or holiness. If you commit one sin in thought or deed you are not righteous or holy. Our holiness is exactly the same as our righteousness. It is the holiness and righteousness of Christ.

As I said the Puritans came up with the idea that we become more and more holy in progressives sanctification until we are ripe for Heaven. That has changed over the years but the idea of progressive sanctification has hung on. If you read Sproul on the holiness of God you will actually get an idea of what holiness actually is.

I hope that helps you to grasp what sanctification truly is.
I am your servant in Christ, twin.

Upvote 0