British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It reminds me of when Bush was President and rights were trampled in the name of fighting terrorism. If people questioned it , they were labeled as not joining the fight against terror.

And yet it is ok for you to vilify this woman when she dares question the integrity of her church in retaining a convicted wife beater in positions of spiritual leadership. really seems like there is a double standard happening Yitzchak.

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It reminds me of when Bush was President and rights were trampled in the name of fighting terrorism. If people questioned it , they were labeled as not joining the fight against terror.

And yet it is ok for you to vilify this woman when she dares question the integrity of her church in retaining a convicted wife beater in positions of spiritual leadership. really seems like there is a double standard happening Yitzchak.

I'm not sure what I am supposed to take out of your labeling of this man as a convicted wife beater. He went to court and received his just punishment for his crimes.

How far do you think that this vigilante justice extends ? By labeling him as a wife beater , it seems that you are implying that this woman should be able to punish him more than what the law allows for. And if the church gets in the way of her grudge , then they should be punished too.

I don't consider that the moral high ground.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I'm not sure what I am supposed to take out of your labeling of this man as a convicted wife beater. He went to court and received his just punishment for his crimes.

How far do you think that this vigilante justice extends ? By labeling him as a wife beater , it seems that you are implying that this woman should be able to punish him more than what the law allows for. And if the church gets in the way of her grudge , then they should be punished too.

I don't consider that the moral high ground.

He was convicted of assault on his wife so I am not sure why my description his as a wife beater is unacceptable to you. He beat his wife did he not, hence he got convicted aka a convicted wife beater. I take exception to you calling my stand vigilante justice. I am not calling for a lynching of the guy he got his day in court and I am ok with that. What I was taking exception to was the nasty comments directed to the victim.

Upvote 0

JEBrady

Mar 24, 2006
NY
✟17,370.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I much prefer wife battering to wife beating.

A nice beer or buttermilk recipe does well.

:cool:

Apologies to those who have no sense of humor. Hit me with your best shot.

I have the best wife in the world. I have the wife God ordained for me. He told me who to marry. I am blessed. It took complete surrender from me to be able to hear that. I was single and went through a lot of preparation in the nine years it took before His ordained time came about.

If folks who called themselves Christian were really led by the Spirit, this would be a non-issue. God will not lead you into bondage. You do that on your own. Good luck with that, and watch out for the ditch.

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
He was convicted of assault on his wife so I am not sure why my description his as a wife beater is unacceptable to you. He beat his wife did he not, hence he got convicted aka a convicted wife beater.

Context. you did not simply make a statement of fact. You mentioned him being a wife beater as a conditional statement. Since he is a wife beater therefore......

The condition was that he is a wife beater...the conclusion was that since he was a wife beater then the church should punish him and take this woman's side. If they do not , then they deserve to be Trashed and or slandered in the media. All of these assertions are based upon his being a wife beater.

So it begs the question. If you feel that justice was served , then why is it relevant that he was a wife beater ?

The context of your statement seemed to indicate that his being a wife beater was relevant because you feel that he deserves further punishment for his crimes. In this case in the form of his church.

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I take exception to you calling my stand vigilante justice. I am not calling for a lynching of the guy he got his day in court and I am ok with that. What I was taking exception to was the nasty comments directed to the victim.

I am glad to hear it.

Were any of these nasty comments made by me ? I will be glad to repent if you can show me where I got off track.

What I remember saying what that everyone involved , including the woman should be thinking of others and not just themselves. This is true about having a frustrating experience with the church we attend. It is true about people getting a divorce. It is true about two Christians , both members at this church taking one another to court.

This whole thing is a bad witness for the Christian community. I blame this woman for the lion's share of that since she decided to write this story that is circulating.

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I also think that it is irresponsible to make these kind of accusations against a church based on hearing only one side of the story and that from a person who admits they have had a bad experience and obviously has a grudge.

The wife seems to be quite abusive herself when she does not get her way about something. Abuse does not have to be in the form of a physical beating. Doing harm to others because they would not give you what you want is pretty much what her husband did and what she is attempting to do to Saddleback Church. Sounds like she and her husband were two angry people. Flip sides of the same coin. They had a power struggle and he bullied her with his fists. When she had a power struggle with her church she bullied them with her words.

I don't know which is worse. But I certainly recognize that someone is abusive when they will not accept another person's choices and feel they have the right to do harm to that person in order to bully them.

I see it as hypocrisy to tell people that they are standing for the victims of abuse and then use abusive methods to forward the cause. Seems ironic.

I am glad that God's justice is not administered with this kind of partiality.

One of the tests of an abusive person is try saying no to them or disagreeing with them about something that they want. Then things get ugly. This woman attempted it with her husband and he punched her in the head.

Saddleback church tried it with this woman and it got ugly. She has gone on a campaign to destroy their reputation and hurt their ministry and in the process hurt them personally , as well. Apparently , this woman does not take no for an answer.

Of course the exception to this is when someone actually has authority. The court system is one such example. they are not bullying, they are administering justice.

Saddleback Church has authority over their own affairs. This woman is not in authority over saddleback.But she acts as if she is. When they won't listen to her , she punishes them.

This stuff is painfully obvious to even the casual observer. Both this woman and her husband were in a power struggle. He crossed the line and gave her the ammo to do him in. Now she has crossed the line with her church. A couple of hypocrites. Add then to the stereotype that the world has of the church.

This is the reason why police do not like to get involved in domestic disputes. They will think that they are rescuing a woman from her violent husband and the next thing they know they turn their back on her and she is attacking them.

I am glad that there are ministries out there with patient people who sort through all of these issues with those involved. Myself , I don't want to deal with any of them. I find that women who have been abused are frequently very abusive people themselves. Unlike the naive Disney version that those involved in the cause want us to believe. Someone out there is called to minister to these women and turn the other cheek to their slaps. I don't have the patience for it.

I favor a society where people carry their own burdens and do not use them as an excuse for their behaviors. This woman's slander against the church stands or falls upon it's own merits. She does not get a special pass because she bought season tickets for the cause.

Some people have so many issues , that they just give in and buy the subscription. This woman is working on the lifetime subscription package. I hope she wises up before she ends up reaping what she is sowing.

By the way, most of these lessons are contained in children's books. The boy who cried wolf , little red riding hood , hansel and grettle , snow white, etc.

Bottom line of this issue.

Two wrongs do not make a right. Looks like Mom was right again....

Upvote 0

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Context. you did not simply make a statement of fact. You mentioned him being a wife beater as a conditional statement. Since he is a wife beater therefore......

The condition was that he is a wife beater...the conclusion was that since he was a wife beater then the church should punish him and take this woman's side. If they do not , then they deserve to be Trashed and or slandered in the media. All of these assertions are based upon his being a wife beater.

So it begs the question. If you feel that justice was served , then why is it relevant that he was a wife beater ?

The context of your statement seemed to indicate that his being a wife beater was relevant because you feel that he deserves further punishment for his crimes. In this case in the form of his church.

What is relevant is that I do not think he should have been kept in leadership period. Get over it. I do have a right state my position with out being hassled by you. I do not often get upset here on CF but your continual hassling of my statements it over the top. I am not quite sure why it is so important to you to take the side of the perpetrator and the church. You have a right to do that of course but as far as I can tell the wife did nothing wrong so why is she fair game. i asked this before and got NO answer then so don't really expect one now. Unsubscribing.

Reactions: Tamara224
Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
What is relevant is that I do not think he should have been kept in leadership period. Get over it. I do have a right state my position with out being hassled by you. I do not often get upset here on CF but your continual hassling of my statements it over the top. I am not quite sure why it is so important to you to take the side of the perpetrator and the church. You have a right to do that of course but as far as I can tell the wife did nothing wrong so why is she fair game. i asked this before and got NO answer then so don't really expect one now. Unsubscribing.

I have answered the question before , several times. What part of your question am I not understanding ?

post #26...

She gossiped about her husband and about Saddleback church.

The thing about gossip is that no formal criminal charges are filed and the accused party is not given due process.

post # 44

The criminal aspect of this situation was settled. She pushed for a greater penalty than what the law allows for her husband.

She has brought accusations against Saddleback church with zero evidence.
Saddleback church has not committed any crimes.

This man was convicted of crimes. Justice was served. The justice system did it's job. End of story.

But yet it isn't the end of the story...

Let's clarify the issue. What specific crimes was this man charged with ? What was the evidence of those crimes? What crimes was he convicted of ? And what is the penalty for those crimes ?

Next question. What specific crimes has Saddle back been charged with ? What is the evidence of those crimes ? What crimes has Saddle back been convicted of ? And what is the penalty for those crimes ?

from post # 52

She bore a grudge rather than loving her husband and rather than loving the people at Saddleback church and rather than loving the other people effected by her talebearing.

I classify this story as mainly gossip. Although I prefer the biblical word talebearer.

Notice that in the original context loving your neighbor as yourself is contrasted with bearing a grudge. Something being encouraged by some in this thread. Encouraging someone to bear a grudge does not lead to loving each other. That should be self evident.

The way I read it, Saddleback and this man are convenient for some who have grudges and an agenda to push.

My position on Saddleback is that if we have an issue to bring against them , then we should bring it in the right way.

Contact Saddleback or even make a public appeal for a higher moral standard. Another good idea. But in that appeal , there should be an appeal made to God's higher standard of justice , not our pet peeve issues that we take to wild extremes while ignoring other issues that s don't bother us so much.

post #53

This woman demanded that partiality be shown to her.

Well stated. Your questions bring out an important issue. Are we interested in living a higher standard of righteousness ? Because God's standard of righteousness applies to all without partiality.

post #97

She is acting in a haughty and prideful manner. Up on her high horse rather than humble and remorseful that she has brought shame upon the Christian community.

It sounds like they both are full of pride and don't even know enough to be ashamed of their poor testimony.

They both make the church look bad.

As for " hassling you "... We all can get frustrated when posting. My suggestion is to take a break and think about something more edifying. I get frustrated too. Take responsibility for your own actions and feelings. Don't make false accusations against me. The fact that you feel frustrated is not me hassling you. It is called having an argument and both parties in the exchange have feelings.

We have had a back and forth now for several rounds. It is a nasty accusation to make to accuse me of hassling you when you invited the discussion up until this point. Anyway , if you have your regrets for arguing and how that made you feel then use it as a growth experience. Consider the fact that usually both parties feel bad after a frustrating argument.

I asked you about your one post whether you were being sarcastic when you apologized that things about this subject bothered me. But it didn't feel like a real apology. It felt like a slam. You did not respond. As I said , everyone has feelings.

Anyway , you said you are very frustrated and unsubscribing. So I hope you are able to reestablish your peace of mind quickly. Being frustrated like that is a really bad feeling. I think most of us on this message board have felt that way , at times.

If you feel a need to confront me about things , then please p.m. me. I will hear you out.

Concerning your question.....People in churches make a lot of mistakes and commit a lot of sins. It bothers me more though when someone attacks the church and by extension attacks the Christian community. As though their situation and frustration is more important than anyone else.

The trouble with someone elevating their rights over others like this woman has done is that other people always get hurt. Hurting others by mistake in a fit of passion is more forgivable than a calculated action taken with no regard for others. I suppose that would be my biggest grievance with this woman.

I have been on here for several years now and have been pretty consistent about sticking up for ministries which are attacked and slandered. I have stuck up for Benny Hinn , Todd Bentley , John Kilpatrick , etc. Even ministries which I don't personally prefer , I still stand up for them.

The heresy hunters claim that it is necessary to harshly judge and condemn these ministries because their cause outweighs all other concerns.

This has been a recurring theme on more than one thread. People who attack ministries and other Christians whom they disagree with. I guess you have discovered one of my buttons.

It gets a little old and it does hurt bystanders like myself. It is frustrating and discouraging and not edifying.

Whatever happened to someone having a just cause that is proactive ? For example , why not set up a home to help pregnant women make better choices rather than protesting abortion clinics and in extreme cases even blowing up abortion clinics ? why not set up an adoption program ?

Mother Theresa became famous for her work to help the poor. She was not famous for railing against Christian ministries who didn't measure up in her eyes. She didn't incite anger at the churches for not doing enough to help the poor.

The people who have acted Christ like in the face of injustice are heroic. They shine the light of Jesus in an angry world.

Those who promote their own rights and parade their anger in front of the world are only witnessing of themselves. They are not a Christian witness since Christian means Christ like. Jesus was beat up too. In fact he was treated far worse than anyone ever in history. When he rebuked and corrected , it was not done out of self interest.

This woman took the low road. Of course she is not the only one who is giving a bad witness in the situation. That is obvious.

So far , the husband and the church have kept pretty quiet. the wife is the one who wanted to take her cause to the world. I find it inconceivable that people would support this woman in this.

It really is not doing the woman any favors either. People should be helping her to heal by letting go of her grudge and directing her energies in a more positive direction.

She has certainly done her part to pick a fight with the church and with her ex husband. Instead of leaving him in peace to move on with his life , she is baiting him in public slander of him and his church. If they responded in kind to her and trashed her name in the community as a liar , then she would have received even more wounds.

Bottom line. I find it tests my gullibility to expect me to support a cause which defines itself by attacking other people.

If this woman set up a program to help battered women or made her cause bringing reform by educating churches on how to better handle these types of situations , then she might be considered heroic. But all she has done is lash out and attack others. That is simply not the Christian way of doing things. That is just one more angry person slamming the church.

I don't support her cause because her cause is defined by hurting people. Does that clarify my answer to your question ?

As I said earlier , there is lots of blame to go around. Two flips sides of the same coin. A husband and wife who both want their way so badly that they will hurt others to get it.

Whenever she decides to set up a proactive cause defined by Christian values , then I will be supportive. When she starts speaking about God birthing something good out of this situation and starts making a difference for Christ , shining her light , then I will support her.

It is beyond ludicrous to expect people to classify what she is doing as a Christian witness.

By the way , your statement that you think the husband should have stepped down from his position at the church. I think that too. At least if we accept the information given at face value. Does he not have any shame for the problem his anger caused ? The honorable thing to do would have been for him to step aside. His Christian witness is tarnished by his actions.

As I said earlier in the thread, in order to have an intelligent discussion about the subject , people need to take certain things at face value. We give our opinions in that context , hopefully aware in the back of our minds that there are real people involved and that we really don't know the full story.

It is in that context that I give my opinion. And in that context that you give yours.

But your opinion about that was not really the problem here.

It is her willingness to hurt others to get her way and your support of those actions which sparked my argument with you.

The fact that she thinks publicly attacking the church is the right response to her disapproval of their choices is a red flag.

If you want to agree to disagree. Fine. It has been a frustrating experience on my end too.

In the future , a little validation of the point being made when someone says something would go a long way. It is possible to hold your own opinion and still hear the other person out. It helps to understand where the other person is coming from before deciding you disagree. That is advice that would help both of us to be less argumentative.

Upvote 0

dkbwarrior

Favoured of the Lord
Sep 19, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟14,349.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One of the problems I've noticed in the christian community is that some seem to think that silence by a ministry or church is a sign of guilt. People seem to forget that silence against accusers is a biblical imperative. Jesus and Paul both taight this. Unless the church has committed a crime that is referred to a court, and is required to present it's case before an impartial audience, they should remain silent. It would be unwise and unbiblical to wiegh into this to defend themselves in the court of public opinion (what we might call the gossip rolls). This is true for any ministry, church, or minister.

I am reminded of the Senate investigation into the six so-called WOF ministries, which was the instigator of much gossip on these boards, with many non-WOF persons seeming to gloat in the possibility of finding wrongdoing. The cases have since been dismissed, with no wrongdoing having been uncovered. The accusations have fallen flat. But no-one seems too excited about that. In fact, I'm quite confident what the answer of those individuals would be today, they would say "Just because they didn't find any proof of wrongdoing doesn't mean there wasn't any". Of course, that may be a true statement, but it's begs the question, Why is it so important to you that someone else should be wrong, when you don't even know any facts to support your claim, only conjecture, assumption, and gossip?

This man was wrong. No doubt. And he was convicted. Good. But there is no evidence that the church has done anything wrong. Only conjecture, assuption, and gossip.

Peace...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One of the problems I've noticed in the christian community is that some seem to think that silence by a ministry or church is a sign of guilt. People seem to forget that silence against accusers is a biblical imperative. Jesus and Paul both taight this. Unless the church has committed a crime that is referred to a court, and is required to present it's case before an impartial audience, they should remain silent. It would be unwise and unbiblical to wiegh into this to defend themselves in the court of public opinion (what we might call the gossip rolls). This is true for any ministry, church, or minister.

I am reminded of the Senate investigation into the six so-called WOF ministries, which was the instigator of much gossip on these boards, with many non-WOF persons seeming to gloat in the possibility of finding wrongdoing. The cases have since been dismissed, with no wrongdoing having been uncovered. The accusations have fallen flat. But no-one seems too excited about that. In fact, I'm quite confident what the answer of those individuals would be today, they would say "Just because they didn't find any proof of wrongdoing doesn't mean there wasn't any". Of course, that may be a true statement, but it's begs the question, Why is it so important to you that someone else should be wrong, when you don't even know any facts to support your claim, only conjecture, assumption, and gossip?

This man was wrong. No doubt. And he was convicted. Good. But there is no evidence that the church has done anything wrong. Only conjecture, assuption, and gossip.

Peace...
Yes!! :thumbsup:

Sometimes opening your mouth to defend yourself only makes room for more foot, especially when some savvy reporter gets through twisting the words. Jesus know this and refused to answer His critics. In fact, it was a mark of His ministry according to Acts 8.32 which quotes Isa. 53, which says, "He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and as a lamb before its shearer is silent, so He opened not His mouth." So, you might say that in all this Saddleback is just following the WWJD? principle.

~Jim

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Peace...

It's not "conjecture" that the man was promoted to a leadership position by the church after his wife reported the abuse to church leadership. The evidence we have is the testimony of the wife. Like it or not, that is evidence, not conjecture. It would be nice if we had evidence from the other side...but whatever their reasons, they have chosen to remain silent. If the evidence we have is all against them, that's their choice.

Now, you guys may not think they were wrong. You may think that the church leadership had no obligation to administer church discipline in such a situation.

But I, and others in this thread, believe that it was wrong for a church to retain, much less promote, a man to a leadership position in the church after he was convicted of a crime.

Even if he repented of the crime and told church leaders that he wouldn't do it again...he still shouldn't have been so quickly placed in a position of authority.

A man who hits his wife has authority and control issues, the last thing he needs is a position of authority. It's not good for his own recovery or for those whom he is supposed to be in authority over.

Saddleback leadership clearly, IMHO, acted unwisely at the very least in placing that man in leadership. They can do what ever they want, of course, it's their show. That doesn't mean they weren't wrong. JMHO.

Reactions: gratefulgrace
Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Yes!! :thumbsup:

Sometimes opening your mouth to defend yourself only makes room for more foot, especially when some savvy reporter gets through twisting the words. Jesus know this and refused to answer His critics. In fact, it was a mark of His ministry according to Acts 8.32 which quotes Isa. 53, which says, "He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and as a lamb before its shearer is silent, so He opened not His mouth." So, you might say that in all this Saddleback is just following the WWJD? principle.

~Jim

Except Jesus never beat up women.

Reactions: gratefulgrace
Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Except Jesus never beat up women.
Of course not, and neither would I condone it, and I would think neither does Saddleback. The point was, is it wrong to accuse an entire church without the facts. No one but the partiers involved know what kind of disciplinary action occurred, or if any took place, for that matter. What if all the facts are not published, what if the man repented, what if the woman exaggerated, what if the police jumped the gun, etc. etc. etc. There are a lot of variables we just don't know and I don't trust the media to report things correctly. So, I am withholding judgment. I think Jesus taught that: "Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged" (Matt. 7.1-2).

Yes, I know this is one of the most overused and misused scriptures in this forum :) but I think it applies perfectly in this case.

Maybe the church is culpable, I don't know. I am just withholding judge.

~Jim

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Of course not, and neither would I condone it, and I would think neither does Saddleback.

Yeah, you'd think that except for the fact that they promoted a convicted wife beater to a position of leadership.

Usually promotions are rewards for acceptable behavior. So, yeah, funny way of not condoning, if you ask me.

And Jim, I know that neither you nor anyone else who has posted in this thread condones wife battering. Please don't think I'm making that accusation.

I don't think that, if asked, anyone at Saddleback would claim they condone it either.

The problem is, no one in their right mind would say they condone such a thing. But actions speak louder than words. When a man is rewarded with a position of leadership in a church, that speaks loudly. It says that they trust the man to lead, it says that they are approving of him, that they believe he has good character and is a fit leader. It says that they condone him and his actions.

Probably, they never really believed his wife. I have no idea how they rationalized that to themselves when he went to jail for it, but I'm sure it was something along the lines of thinking her a liar and just an unsubmissive, rebellious woman who brought it on herself by trying to usurp her husband's authority or some such. IMHO.

In my experience, churches are very much like any other business. The good ole' boys club that circles the wagons when one of the boys is threatened.

The point was, is it wrong to accuse an entire church without the facts.

We are not entirely without facts.

We have sufficient facts to draw some conclusions.

Fact 1: the man was convicted of hitting his wife
Fact 2: within the same time frame of his conviction, the church made the man a choir director

No one but the partiers involved know what kind of disciplinary action occurred, or if any took place, for that matter.

Is giving someone a leadership position in the church a form of disciplinary action?

If not, then it sure doesn't look like there was any church discipline.

What if all the facts are not published, what if the man repented, what if the woman exaggerated, what if the police jumped the gun, etc. etc. etc.

Jim, I need for you to read this and respond to it because so far you seem to be ignoring it.

The man was convicted of a crime and sentenced to jail for it.

The "maybe the police jumped the gun" scenario is no longer viable. That's just conjecture and speculation and it does nothing to mitigate the fact that he was convicted and served time.

The man got a fair trial, or an opportunity for it. If he plead guilty, he forever waived his right to a presumption of innocence. If he was found guilty, then it was at the hands of an impartial jury who heard and weighed all of the evidence and said he was guilty.

You can go ahead and question the judgment of the jury, if you want. But when you do, you're not really "withholding judgment" anymore.

There are a lot of variables we just don't know and I don't trust the media to report things correctly.

The "media" didn't report this. None of the fact sources provided in this thread were the media.

There aren't any variables that change the facts that are known.

So, I am withholding judgment. I think Jesus taught that:
"Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged" (Matt. 7.1-2).

I don't agree that Jesus taught that we should withhold judgment all the time. And I know that you don't really believe that either.

Jesus taught us not to judge hypocritically.

Yes, I know this is one of the most overused and misused scriptures in this forum :) but I think it applies perfectly in this case.
Maybe the church is culpable, I don't know. I am just withholding judge.

Your choice. I've decided to go ahead and make a preliminary judgment based on the facts that are known. Furthermore, as my "judgment" of the people involved has no actual effect on said people, the "judgment" is really more of an abstract one. I'm judging what I know of their behavior to be wrong behavior. To me, this type of discussion is much more about learning and teaching and determining what is and is not acceptable or right. This incident serves an example for us to know how not to respond.

Let me ask you a hypothetical question...

Assuming - for the sake of this question only - that the facts as reported are true (the man beat his wife, she reported it to the church and instead of helping her, they told on her and then promoted him to leadership).... would the church have been wrong to do that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Simon Peter

14th Generation PROTESTant
Mar 4, 2004
America
✟4,491.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1 "Judge not, that you be not judged.
2 For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.
3 Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?
4 Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when there is the log in your own eye?
5 You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.
Matthew 7:1-5 ESV

I have 'judged' certain leaders in the church. Leaders who have blatantly and unrepentantly lied from the pulpit, cheated on their wives, taught false doctrine etc.

I hope if I ever cheat on my wife, beat my wife, blatantly lie from the pulpit, or teach false doctrine, that people will treat me with the same measure!

Of course we are supposed to judge leaders, but don't be a hypocrite, and don't worry about mere specks, particularly if you have a log.

peace,
Simon

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We are not entirely without facts.

We have sufficient facts to draw some conclusions.

Fact 1: the man was convicted of hitting his wife
Fact 2: within the same time frame of his conviction, the church made the man a choir director

Let me tell you why this whole ordeal sounds fishy to me....

We live in the information age. Yet I can find *nothing*, no local news reports, no reputable or verifiable information *at all* on this story. The only sources (that I have been able to find) for this story are from blogs, forums, sites entitled "Mom logic", "Momversation", "A mother's rage", "Double X", etc. I can not find a single sourced journalistic report that confirms these "facts".

In the absence of a verifiable source, I remain unconvinced only because in this information age, it seems amazing that the media would not have jumped all over something like this.

Anyone who's spent any time conversing with me on these forums knows I'm big on citing sources so people can read things for themselves. As of yet, I haven't seen anything more than blogs and forum posts, which doesn't exactly scream objective, reliable and verifiable source.

I want to reiterate, I'm not defending, nor condemning this man, nor his ex-wife. I'd just like to see something more concrete before I make my own conclusion.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In searching for information on this story, I ran across this, posted by the Associated Baptist Press in July 2009;
LAKE FOREST, Calif. (ABP) -- A senior staff member of Rick Warren's Saddleback Church, quoted earlier this year as teaching the Bible does not permit a woman to divorce an abusive husband, has said the audio clip containing the comment gave the wrong impression about his views and has been removed from the church website.

In January Associated Baptist Press and several blogs quoted audio clips from a "Bible Questions & Answers" section of Saddleback's website in which Tom Holladay, the church's teaching pastor, said the Bible condones divorce for only two reasons: infidelity and abandonment.

"I wish there were a third [reason for divorce] in Scripture, having been involved as a pastor with situations of abuse," Holladay said. "There is something in me that wishes there were a Bible verse that says, 'If they abuse you in this-and-such kind of way, then you have a right to leave them.'"

What the clip didn't make clear, Holladay said recently, is the question he was answering had to do with abusive language and not physical abuse. The way it was edited, Holladay said, gave the impression that a chronically violent and abusive situation is the only just cause for separation.

"We believe that one violent incident is obviously more than enough to demand the need for a separation," Holladay said in a statement to church members. "This has always been the advice that we give."

Holladay said "in an attempt to explain the difference between an angry exchange between spouses and domestic violence, I used words that seemed -- especially when taken out of context -- that I believe a long term multiply violent situation is the only cause for a separation."

"That is not what I and we believe or advise," he said. "Instead, we advise that in a domestic violence situation the first step is to get immediately to safety. I apologize for a poor choice of words that made it seem in any way that we do not advise this."

Source: Associated Baptist Press - Saddleback removes audio clip saying abuse no excuse for divorce

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Let me tell you why this whole ordeal sounds fishy to me....

We live in the information age. Yet I can find *nothing*, no local news reports, no reputable or verifiable information *at all* on this story. The only sources (that I have been able to find) for this story are from blogs, forums, sites entitled "Mom logic", "Momversation", "A mother's rage", "Double X", etc. I can not find a single sourced journalistic report that confirms these "facts".

That's not unusual, Pete. Most criminal matters don't find their way to the internet. News stories that do find their way to the internet don't always stay online forever.

Although court files are usually public record, they're not generally accessible - even if they are in electronic form (which most aren't) - to the general public. Someone would have to go to the court where he was charged and, at this point, root through their archives to find the evidence. The court file may or may not even have a transcript of the trial - if one was held. Probably the only thing contained in the court file at this point is the charging documents, police affidavit or grand jury transcript, and a judgment and sentence.

If he appealed his conviction, I can't find any record of it (and I probably would if he had).

Information age or not, someone has to put the info on the internet. Just because no one thought it necessary or took the time to report about this on the net, doesn't mean it didn't happen. IMHO, it doesn't even make it less likely to have happened. It's just unfortunate for us that no one closer to the events thought to put facts on the net so us arm-chair family law judges could know what happened.

In the absence of a verifiable source, I remain unconvinced only because in this information age, it seems amazing that the media would not have jumped all over something like this.

Hundreds of such cases go unreported every day. The media has lots of reasons for why they choose which stories to report and which not to. We cannot assume that just because they didn't report it, it is suspect.

Besides, it's a very subjective thing.... what the Christian community considers "big news" may not even be a blip on the radar to secular media outlets.

Anyone who's spent any time conversing with me on these forums knows I'm big on citing sources so people can read things for themselves. As of yet, I haven't seen anything more than blog and forum posts, which doesn't exactly scream reliable and verifiable source.

Well, the weight you give to the evidence is certainly yours to determine. That's part of making a judgment - deciding which evidence is more or less credible or weighty.

The way I see it is this: At least one of the blogs was an interview of the woman in question. I have no grounds to believe that the interview was a fake, that it wasn't really the woman in question, or that she was lying. Nothing in the interview itself raised any red flags of credibility for me.

It's not sworn testimony, which I would of course prefer, but it is testimony. And testimony counts as evidence. Direct evidence (as opposed to circumstantial).

In the court of public opinion, and forum discussions, and as far as living my life day to day, I'm comfortable making a judgment call from what I do know.

The burden of proof is much lower on the internet. ^_^

I want to reiterate, I'm not defending, nor condemning this man, nor his ex-wife. I'd just like to see something more concrete before I make my own conclusion.

I understand that and do not fault you, or Jimbo, for it.

That being said...... I would like to ask you the same hypo I asked Jim.... because I'm curious as to your response.

If the facts as stated are indeed true - just assume they are for a moment - then would the church leaders have acted wrongly in giving the man a leadership position? IYO.

Upvote 0