Mustang56

Paul had to see to believe. So do I.
Aug 11, 2012
✟7,664.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
You are remotely controlling a Trolley when something malfunctions and you cannot stop the trolley. The trolley is moving @ 60mph and will surely kill anyone in its path.

On the track, there are 5 workers up ahead.

On the track beside it, there is 1 worker.

You aren't able to slow the Trolley down, but you can divert the Trolley to the other track.

What do you do? Explain your reasoning for your choice (or lack of).

Do not account for factors regarding the workers, assume you don't know any of them and they all appear to look the same.

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Based on the limited information given, the trolley should be diverted to the track with 1 worker. This is an act-consequentialist ethic. It's related to ultilitarianism. The morality of an act is judged by its consequences. And if every act causes harm, the proper choice is that which causes the least amount of harm.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
What do you do? Explain your reasoning for your choice (or lack of).

Incidentally, that challenge comes from Phillipa Foot.

My answer is that I do not divert the trolley. The reason? I do not wish to act in the manner of a murderer.

Why is that? Probably because I'm not a utilitarian. I favor virtue ethics. As such, I don't wish to "play God" over people's lives by seeking some mathematical solution to an ethical situation, and would prefer instead to live according to my chosen virtues, even if that means that more people might die accidental deaths.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I heard one might be legally liable for diverting the trolley. Should one self immolate to save others if thats the case?

That's an interesting twist. I wouldn't blame anyone for acting to save their own lives. That wouldn't suggest poor character to me.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Switch it and let the one worker take it.

You're responsible any which way - you were controlling the trolley initially, you have the choice to act or not act, and any which way someone is going to die.

The workers being equal as you've stated, one dying is not as bad as five dying.

Kudos for not having the one person on the track option being a little kiddie-wink to add an emotive taint like most of these artificial hypotheticals do :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker

My answer is that I do not divert the trolley. The reason? I do not wish to act in the manner of a murderer.

Why is that? Probably because I'm not a utilitarian. I favor virtue ethics. As such, I don't wish to "play God" over people's lives by seeking some mathematical solution to an ethical situation, and would prefer instead to live according to my chosen virtues, even if that means that more people might die accidental deaths.

eudaimonia,

Mark
What particular chosen virtue is it that you regard highly about remaining inactive in such a situation?

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour

Why is that? Probably because I'm not a utilitarian.

As a utilitarian, this is a pretty offensive statement, and I'm disappointed to see you of all people making it.

The ethical choice is to minimise the number of deaths given that it is an inevitability in this situation that someone is going to die (and remember, inaction - your choice - will result in more people dying as per the terms of the scenario). Reducing the number of possible deaths as a result of accident is not the act of murderer, who causes death as a result of their own intent.

It is the act of someone virtuous and with very strong character who makes a choice that will result in them being vilified to some degree (damned if they do/don't) but does so anyway to minimise the damage caused.

I favor virtue ethics. As such, I don't wish to "play God" over people's lives by seeking some mathematical solution to an ethical situation, and would prefer instead to live according to my chosen virtues, even if that means that more people might die accidental deaths.
Which I'm sure is great comfort to the five workers who would die as a result of your choice.

Saying you want to live according to your virtues is not admirable if your virtues are terrible.

Say an actual train company was in this scenario, and their response was "Too bad, it's against our company values to have not intervened, made sure the vehicles was safe, etc". People would be baying for their blood.

That's an interesting twist. I wouldn't blame anyone for acting to save their own lives. That wouldn't suggest poor character to me.

Then again, given this, maybe you wouldn't be? Maybe they just were living according to their virtue of selfishness.....:sigh:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
What particular chosen virtue is it that you regard highly about remaining inactive in such a situation?

I'm not certain if there is an adequate word for it in English. Possibly the Greek virtue sophrosune will do.

A corresponding vice to sophrosune could be (if my understanding is correct) "playing God with other people's lives". Hubris could possibly name such a vice.

Edited to add:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophrosyne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubris

eudaimonia,

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Reducing the number of possible deaths as a result of accident is not the act of murderer, who causes death as a result of their own intent.

Diverting the trolley is a result of your intent, even if you didn't hate that person and had some utilitarian rationalization for the act.

Which I'm sure is great comfort to the five workers who would die as a result of your choice.

Just as it is a great comfort to the one worker who would die as a result of your choice?

Saying you want to live according to your virtues is not admirable if your virtues are terrible.

Likewise. :)

Then again, given this, maybe you wouldn't be? Maybe they just were living according to their virtue of selfishness.....:sigh:

Better than making a virtue of self-destruction.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Diverting the trolley is a result of your intent even if you didn't hate that person and had some utilitarian rationalization for the act.

Point taken, but not what I intended. I was unclear. The point is according to the terms of the scenario (at least, I think it was - it's not entirely clear), it is not your fault that the trolley malfunctions. That was the part I was referring to with regard to intent - obviously it is your intent to choose or not choose within the scenario. You have intent there, but not intent to enter into that scenario. That part is accidental.

A murderer however intends the entire scenario of him intending to murder someone to occur as well.

However you want to spin it, it is still a false equivalency - and you're still playing God by choosing to not act and remain aloof (to say nothing of how it's a common complaint of atheists that God doesn't seem to intervene in human suffering much, and yet still maintains how great and awesome his commands (virtues?) are - the accusation of playing God seems right on the money for describing your decision either which way)

Just as it is a great comfort to the one worker who would die as a result of your choice?
Four less discomfited (ok, I'll retract my usage of the word "comfortable", even I'm finding it a bit unnecessary now - my apologies) - four less are dead than would be than choosing inaction. And "given no option, I decided to take the outcome that killed less people" is still generally going to come across better than "hey, I was just holding to my virtues. I'm not playing God by choosing to let five people die here".

Likewise. :)
You said "I would prefer instead to live according to my chosen virtues" - without making any statement of whether they were good or not, which is why I made the pointed remark I did.

Utilitarianism isn't usually classified as a virtue-ethical system, afaik, unless you want to consider "minimise harm" a virtue. For the record, my personal moral system considers both consequence and motivation, and values harm-minimising actions coupled with good motivation as the most moral of choices. If you're somehow implying that "minimise harm" isn't a virtue, then do please go on.

Better than making a virtue of self-destruction.
I would entirely agree (especially to save your own reputation from the consequence of five people dying through inaction while remaining alive), but then why say that it wouldn't suggest poor character, if you claim it it is a less preferable virtue as you are doing here?

You evidently think some virtues are better than others, on what grounds?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I'm not certain if there is an adequate word for it in English. Possibly the Greek virtue sophrosune will do.

A corresponding vice to sophrosune could be (if my understanding is correct) "playing God with other people's lives". Hubris could possibly name such a vice.
Well, it´s a situation that calls you, the human, to make a decision (and whatever decision you make it will have an impact on life/death of others, so "playing God" appears to be unavoidable, even if you decide to remain inactive) - so I am not really sure beyond which point you consider a decision that has an impact on life/death of others "playing God".
If a surgeon removes a life-threatening tumor - would that be "playing God", in your virtue system?
If a pedestrian jumps on the street in front of your car, would stepping on the brake to save his life constitute "playing God", in your virtue system?

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'm not sure what I would actually do in the situation, but it seems that changing the track would be the best regrettable decision.

Act in the manner of a murderer? What does that mean? Does a surgeon act in the manner of a murderer? I would give other examples, but I don't know your opinion of soldiers, euthanasia, abortion, self-defence, defence of others, and pretty much anything that involves death.

Why is that? Probably because I'm not a utilitarian. I favor virtue ethics.

I feel that virtue ethics is arrogant and selfish, in that it makes morality all about helping oneself, what is good for others doesn't matter as long as you feel good about yourself. Just like deontology, it seems to be an attempt to avoid feeling bad about hard decisions and to avoid responsibility for what you have control of. Why would you disagree?

As such, I don't wish to "play God" over people's lives by seeking some mathematical solution to an ethical situation, and would prefer instead to live according to my chosen virtues, even if that means that more people might die accidental deaths.

"Playing God" has always been a suckish reason not to do something. What does it even mean? Anything can be called 'playing God' if you think about it in the right way. But why do you say 'playing God' is wrong?

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I think this is what hacks me off most about these thought experiments - not only are they incredibly contrived (show me instances of identical situations actually happening in practice - I'd wager they are fairly rare), they're frequently presented along with a tone of "UTILITARIANISM IS LIEK SO RONG TROLOLOLOLOL" by people whose own moral systems are frankly little better or prone to the exact same problems.

If the best criticism you can come up with against a moral system is an incredibly contrived hypothetical (and if it's actually happened, then it's rather rare), then that's hardly an indictment of that moral system.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm bowing out of this discussion. It's all too easy for lifeboat ethics debates to become as heated as abortion debates, and for similar reasons. I'm just not interested in that. I gave my answer to the trolley issue, and that was my purpose here.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I'm bowing out of this discussion. It's all too easy for lifeboat ethics debates to become as heated as abortion debates, and for similar reasons. I'm just not interested in that. I gave my answer to the trolley issue, and that was my purpose here.

I'm disappointed not to hear more from you, but a hint for the future - if you don't want things getting heated, don't falsely-equate the entirety of one opposing moral system as akin to being like a murderer.

Reactions: Wiccan_Child
Upvote 0