I wanna be Axl Rose
Jul 19, 2016
Chicago, Illinois
✟15,778.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
for so long people have fought over who created Rock N' Roll?
God or the unmentionable.

I Believe that Rock N' Roll was created by God because God uses us as Instruments so why wouldn't we use instruments to create a message? the same reason that God created us for?

Rock N' Roll Saved My Life when I was a Teenager growing up and through Rock I began to question My Faith, now in 2016, I'm a Born-Again Christian and I still Love Rock N' Roll.

HarvestTheFields

Great White North
Mar 7, 2016
Indiana
Visit site
✟14,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
for so long people have fought over who created Rock N' Roll?
God or the unmentionable.

I Believe that Rock N' Roll was created by God because God uses us as Instruments so why wouldn't we use instruments to create a message? the same reason that God created us for?

Rock N' Roll Saved My Life when I was a Teenager growing up and through Rock I began to question My Faith, now in 2016, I'm a Born-Again Christian and I still Love Rock N' Roll.

How did it make you question your faith? Glad to hear that you still love Rock N' Roll and Jesus!

Upvote 0

JamesgoneBatty

I wanna be Axl Rose
Jul 19, 2016
Chicago, Illinois
✟15,778.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How did it make you question your faith? Glad to hear that you still love Rock N' Roll and Jesus!
I heard all these singers singing about God and Heaven and how they want out of the hell that they live in

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON

This Thread Has Been Moved to Christian Music from News & Current Events

full

We are moving this thread to a section where it is a better fit.

Please continue the discussion here, thank you.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Anyone ever heard of Sister Rosetta Tharpe? The "Godmother of Rock and Roll." She was a gospel singer whose style strongly anticipated rock & roll and soul music. She was an excellent electric guitarist, too. In her version of this old gospel song, you can hear where B.B. King, and Eric Clapton were inspired.

Who says women can't play guitar?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course they can. Ever hear of Bonny Raitt? April Lawton of Ramatam? (early 1970s) Nancy Wilson of Heart? June Millington of Fanny? Heli Sterner of Rachel Rachel? Steph Paynes of Lez Zeppelin?

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Of course they can. Ever hear of Bonny Raitt? April Lawton of Ramatam? (early 1970s) Nancy Wilson of Heart? June Millington of Fanny? Heli Sterner of Rachel Rachel? Steph Paynes of Lez Zeppelin?

Absolutely. And don't forget Orianthi.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah - the one hit wonder. "We don't talk anymore."

Why is he relevant?

Actually, Cliff Richard isn't a one hit wonder at all. He was a founding member of The Shadows and had eight songs chart on the Billboard Top 40 here in the States. And in England, he's practically worshipped and considered their Elvis Presley. Not a fan myself (although I did like his cover of Shep and the Limelighters' "Daddy's Home"), but it would be foolish not to recognize his contributions. John Lennon stated numerous times that there would be no Beatles without Cliff Richard. Jimmy Page said the same thing about The Yardbirds.

And for that matter why is being a "one hit wonder" a bad thing?

Many very influential artists who are now considered legends didn't have any hits at all.

The Band was one of the most influential rock bands of all time but only had two songs on the Top 40 and neither one of the higher than 25.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Anyone ever heard of Sister Rosetta Tharpe? The "Godmother of Rock and Roll." She was a gospel singer whose style strongly anticipated rock & roll and soul music. She was an excellent electric guitarist, too. In her version of this old gospel song, you can hear where B.B. King, and Eric Clapton were inspired.

Oh, YES!!! Such was actually among some of my parents' music, but music influenced me at an early age, and I took it all in along with the other music played around me while I was growing up, so I have grown to appreciate it, as well. I can definitely see where Tharpe just might be considered CCM or Christian rock in its earliest stages. Her music was creative and way ahead of its time, IMO.

Here is a favorite of mine by her:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And for that matter why is being a "one hit wonder" a bad thing?
Its not.

Actually there were a number of One Hit Wonders that I am quite fond of. (Like Ides of March)

Its just that the only song I can remember from Richards was "We Don't Talk Anymore."

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Ah - LOVE that piano of Hovie Lister. Good stuff!!!

BTW - do you know who was singing bass on that cut?

I don't know, off hand. Maybe if I look up the Wikipedia page on them, I may be able to find out. I can't tell what year that clip was; my guess is the '50s sometime, but members change throughout the years in many long-running groups/bands. If I knew what year the clip was, that might help.

UPDATE: I believe it was James "Big Chief" Wetherington (1922-1973) singing bass.

Here is more info on the Statesmen Quartet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Statesmen_Quartet

Last edited:
Upvote 0