lori milne

Feb 20, 2015
✟16,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My theology is a personal search for truth
Not false ideas that aren't even in the. Bible!!

I base all my believes only on jesus direct teachings and Matt mark luke John Peter
Paul i like to use but I notice some OSAS believers twisting or misinterpreting a lot of it!
Which compared to jesus teaching should be clear!! Amen!!

Why are all of jesus teachings being overlooked!
Is it because people don't want to be judged condemned they want there cake and to eat it to !
Jesus speaks clearly about repenting why is it something not being practiced??

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

I base all my believes only on jesus direct teachings and Matt mark luke John Peter
Paul i like to use but I notice some OSAS believers twisting or misinterpreting a lot of it!

Is it because people don't want to be judged condemned they want there cake and to eat it to !

Hi Lori, there are many of us who believe that our salvation and new life in Christ is secure once we come to saving faith in Him, but we do not believe that we can return to living and acting the way we did before becoming Christians. That would clearly indicate that our 'claim' of faith was a sham and that we were never "born again" (John 3:3).

The reason we believe that we will "persevere" in the faith (if we are truly saved) has a lot to do with the very things Jesus taught. As a for instance, take a close look at what He says in John 5:
“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life." John 5:24​
There is, of course, much more, but I thought this was a good place to start.

Yours and His,
David

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

We're following both logic and the Bible in this regard. If you are unaware of the many places in Scripture where Eternal Security is indicated, that might be the place for us to begin a calmer study of the matter.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't think temporary salvation is salvation at all --- that would be a faulty gift of God except that He doesn't give faulty gifts. But aren't we in the wrong forum?

That's what I was thinking. Perseverance of the Saints is hardly an unorthodox doctrine!

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,954.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

It's the biggest "mystery" of modern Christianity.

Jesus has a warning for such people, which includes many (if not, most Christians!):

John 12:48
There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day.

Upvote 0

lori milne

Feb 20, 2015
✟16,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No after you except Jesus like Peter did even then can you deny him.
To turn away, fall away after receiving the knowledge or gift , spiritual drink .
He waits for us but I think it is harder after receiving the knowledge to fall away and repent again vs. To repent and to come the first time is I think it speaks of a hardening of heart some ware,
There are variation of sinning with the knowledge versus. Sining with out knowledge
Having the knowledge bring worse

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,954.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
No after you except Jesus like Peter did even then can you deny him.
To turn away, fall away after receiving the knowledge or gift , spiritual drink .
He waits for us but I think it is harder after receiving the knowledge to fall away and repent again vs. To repent and to come the first time is I think it speaks of a hardening of heart some ware,
There are variation of sinning with the knowledge versus. Sining with out knowledge
Having the knowledge bring worse

Keeping his commandments doesn't mean never breaking it.

Keeping is more in the context of loving - loving his commandments.

Is that you and your kid in the avatar? It's like loving your kid doesn't mean you never get angry at them by mistake. And even if you do, your love remains.

That kind of love.

It will truly show if you love your kid as you love/keep God's commandments even if we still make mistakes.

It's nigh impossible to be a perfect parent but if the love is there, everyone will see it!

In that context of keeping the commandments... ...not for saving our own skin, but because we love it because it does good to people around you and we love to do good to others.

Therefore, if you love/keep the commandments then it's NOT really a burden to do it, just like raising a child because you love the child.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Lori, I thought I would add more of what Jesus had to say about Eternal Security to this thread.

Here's a little bit from John 6. The first thing to understand is that no one can come to Jesus unless His Father makes it happen.

“No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day." John 6:44

Knowing that, what did Jesus tells us about this group of people that the Father gives to Him? Jesus writes:

“ALL that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of ALL that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day.” John 6:37-40

This, I think, is a pretty good example of some of what Jesus had to say (and of the position He takes) concerning Eternal Security or the Perseverance of the Saints. What do you think about what He said here?

Yours and His,
David
p.s. - there is a little bit more at the end of this chapter, in particular, John 6:64-65, which sounds a lot like v44. But since Jesus is teaching less about Eternal Security there and more about Divine Election, I will leave that for a later post.

“He who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me,
has eternal life, and does not come into judgment,
but has passed out of death into life."

John 5:24

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
T

ToBeBlessed

Hi Lori, I thought I would add more of what Jesus had to say about Eternal Security to this thread.

Here's a little bit from John 6. The first thing to understand is that no one can come to Jesus unless His Father makes it happen.
“No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day." John 6:44
Knowing that, what did Jesus tells us about this group of people that the Father gives to Him? Jesus writes:
“ALL that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of ALL that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day.” John 6:37-40
This, I think, is a pretty good example of some of what Jesus had to say (and of the position He takes) concerning Eternal Security or the Perseverance of the Saints. What do you think about what He said here?

Yours and His,
David
p.s. - there is a little bit more at the end of this chapter, in particular, John 6:64-65, which sounds a lot like v44. But since Jesus is teaching less about Eternal Security there and more about Divine Election, I will leave that for a later post.

“He who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me,
has eternal life, and does not come into judgment,
but has passed out of death into life."

John 5:24
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Here's what I believe....

Gospel:

Romans 8:29-39, For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified. What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all--how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died--more than that, who was raised to life--is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written: "For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered." No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. "

Mark 13:22, "For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and miracles to deceive the elect--if that were possible.

John 4:14, "but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

John 20:28, I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.

1 Thess. 5:24, "The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it.

Hebrews 10:14, "because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

Rev. 3:5, "I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels."

Law:

John 15:4-7, "Remain in me, and I will remain in you... If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned."

Rev. 2:10, "Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life.

Matthew 10:22, "He who stands firm to the end will be saved."

1 Timothy 4:1, "The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons."

Luke 8:13, "They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away."

John 8:31, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really My disciples."

Luke 21:19, "By standing firm you will gain life."

Hebrews 8:9, "They did not remain faithful to My covenant, and I turned away from them"

Gal. 5:4, "You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace."

Col. 1:23, "If you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel."

Hebrews 10:26, "If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God."

2 Peter 1:8-10, "But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins. Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure."

2 Peter 3:17, "Be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of lawless men and fall from your secure position."

Rev. 3:5, He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white.

Luke 12:8, "He who disowns Me before men will be disowned before the angels of God."

As so often in theology, we find there are "two sides of the coin." To ME, the approach is NOT to take all the Scriptures, subject them to our limited, fallable, sinful, human LOGIC and force them to "fit" and "make sense" to US. To ME, the approach is to accept both "sets" of scriptures at their face value and allow them to stand in all their truth and power just as God inspired them.

The approach, then, is in how to APPLY them rather than in how to force them to fit together according to our fallible, limited logic. Not in accepting one "set" and explaining away the other in the light of it.

I think OSAS creates a HORROR....

The Gospel is: Sola Gratia - Solus Christus - Sola Fide. Yes, faith is a part of this whole, but it is the OBJECT of that faith that matters, not the quanity or quality of it. There is only ONE appropriate question: "In WHOM do I rely?" "To WHOM is my faith directed?" CHRIST is the Savior (not my faith), so the issue is the sufficiency of CHRIST, not faith.

IMO, what these later-day "Calvinists" that invented OSAS did was change the Gospel, and like Catholics, changed the focus from Christ to self (although BOTH stress that what is in us comes solely from God). For Catholics, it became the quantity and QUALITY of our lives, for these latter-day Calvinists, the quantity and QUALITY of our faith. Both create a "terror to the conscience" since there is no way to know if I'm good enough, if my faith is "true" or sufficient in quality and quantity.

An illustration:

Let's say Bob grows up in a Dutch Reformed Church, the child of a Deacon and the church organist and Sunday School Superintendent. He professes Christ - and this certainly seems sincere. "I believe it all!" Bob goes to Dartmouth College and rooms with an agnostic, who converts him. Bob now holds that Christianity, while it CAN have a good role, is simply false; Christ, if he ever lived at all, was in no sense whatever God or Savior. "I reject all that"

Let's evaluate from an OSAS position: There are three possibilities:

1. Bob NEVER believed. He totally, sincerely, absolutely thought he did, he said he did, everyone else totally believed he did. But he lied and they misunderstood. IF he REALLY believed, with TRUE faith, SUFFICIENT in quality and quantity, then he COULD NOT have "fallen away." Bob is going to hell - what he thought and said for 18 years was a lie.

2. Bob still believes. He totally, absolutely, completely rejects everything Christian but he still believes it all. Bob is lying to himself and everyone else and it is stupid for others to take what he professes and renounces with ANY seriousness: people lie, people misunderstand themselves. Bob is going to heaven.

3. Bob does NOT believe now but he is going to heaven anyway because for 18 years, he DID believe. The proper formula is: "Salvation is by faith in Christ AT ANY POINT IN ONE"S LIFE" so that a Buddhist monk, a passionate atheist is still going to heaven if - for a microsecond - the HAD faith. Of course, there's no way to know if one ever did. And Scripture is wrong to say we must CONTINUE in faith since continuing or enduring has nothing to do with anything.

So, can Bob or anyone have any veiw as to whether Bob is (or ever was) a Christian? Nope.

Now, Bob graduates with a Ph.D. in philosphy and has written books on the glories and correctness of being an agnostic. But Calvinists don't know if he's a Christian or not, saved or not, going to heaven or not; if he EVER had TRUE faith or even if he does now. In time, Bob marries Sally, a good Reformed Baptist. Bob begins going to church with Sally and eventually with the kids. While it takes 10 years, Bob states that he now believes it all. He is now a Christian. Bob and Sally become leaders of the High School Youth Group and lead a Bible study group for seekers. Bob writes a book on Christian Apologetics.

Let's evaluate from the OSAS position: There are 3 possibilities -

1. Bob ALWAYS believed. It's just for 20 years, he lied (albeit entirely sincerely; he genuinely and completely THOUGH he rejected Christianity and was an agnostic). Because he believe as a kid, he HAD to believe during those 20 years and HAS to believe now. Bob is a Christian, saved, going to heaven, HE ALWAYS WAS because once you believe - you cannot do otherwise. His return to the faith only confirms this. When people SAY they reject Christ, they lie. Don't consider what people sincerely and genuinely say they believe.

2. Bob does NOT believe! If his faith had been true and real, he never would have fallen, he never would have FOR TWENTY YEARS condemned Christianity, one with TRUE faith - sufficient in quality and quantity - could not and would not do it. His "return" is disgusting and hypocritical. You just can't believe what people SAY they believe - however genuine or sincere - because people unknowingly, unintentionally LIE all the time. Bob is a pagan and is hell bound. His pastor should remove him from his positions and excommunicate him.

3. Bob was saved when he was a kid and professed faith, Bob was saved for those 20 years when he boldly denied Christ and all of Christianity without faith, Bob is saved now because he has faith. Faith has nothing to do with anything. It's Sola Gratia - Solus Christus. There is no faith that matters, which is why it doesn't matter if Bob had or has faith.

Sally is killed in a horrible accident as she serves as a volunteer crossing guard at the kid's Baptist school. Bob concludes that all this God stuff is a hoax and condemns God. He returns to his agnosticism - only now as atheism. He writes a best selling book about how Christianity is the most cruel hoax there is. Bob dies in this position.

Let's evaluate from the OSAS position:

1. Bob always believed. He is again lying to himself and everyone else - as people OFTEN do. Bob sincerely, genuinely, passionately THINKS he rejects Christ but this is not a possibility. Bob believed as a kid - with REAL and TRUE and SUFFICIENT faith, ergo he is a Christian and saved. You can't believe what people say and do and proclaim because they lie all the time, they simply have NO WAY TO KNOW if they are trusting in Christ or not. Bob does and died a Christian. His funeral was at a Dutch Reformed Church, arranged by his brother. The pastor proclaimed that this atheist, famous for his anti-Christian books, is now in heaven and is a Christian which is why he is conducting this Christian funeral for him.

2. Bob NEVER believed. He NEVER had TRUE or REAL or GENUINE or SUFFICIENT faith. He never did. He lied. For over 30 years, he LIED. He never believed. He THOUGHT he did - sincerely, genuinely, passionately - and everyone else thought that, too! But it was all a lie. People LIE all the time about this stuff - although nearly always unintentionally because they GENUINELY and sincerely and passionately THINK they are trusting in Christ. But they aren't. You just can't believe what people profess. The Dutch Reformed pastor refuses to do the funeral, proclaiming that Bob is in hell - and God is glorified by the burning flames in which Bob is suffering; God gets off on this.

3. Bob is in heaven in spite of not having faith, because faith doesn't matter. All that matters is that God is getting His way. Whether Bob had faith - ever - is irrelevant. All that matters is what God gets off on: seeing Bob in heaven or watching Bob burn. It's Sola Soverignty, not Sola Gratia - Solus Christus - SOLA FIDE.

Bottom line:

So, there is NO WAY for Bob or anyone to know if Bob is or ever has been a Christian, saved or heaven-bound. Not when he was a kid, not when he was writting all those anti-Christian books, not now.

Thank you.

Pax

- Josiah

Upvote 0
T

ToBeBlessed

So, there is NO WAY for Bob or anyone to know if Bob is or ever has been a Christian, saved or heaven-bound. Not when he was a kid, not when he was writting all those anti-Christian books, not now.

- Josiah

Actually Bob can know. Those who have the Holy Spirit are Christ's own. We are sealed by the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit is with us and in us until we get our full inheritance in Christ.

2 Corinthians 1:22

and who has also oput his seal on us and pgiven us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.4

2 Corinthians 5:5

He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, qwho has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.

Ephesians 1:13-14
In him you also, when you heard ethe word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, fwere sealed with the gpromised Holy Spirit, 14 who is hthe guarantee4 of our iinheritance until jwe acquire kpossession of it,5 lto the praise of his glory.

Ephesians 4:30
And ddo not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, eby whom you were sealed for the day of fredemption.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.