Refusing to sell a wedding cake to a gay couple..right or wrong?

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And no I would probably not sell them the cake. Bring on the lawsuits I could care. If we aren't willing to stand for our views then whats the point of having them? Further more whats the point of having them if rules tell us to do otherwise in buisness? Its sad when companies like Chik-Filet (whatever its called) chicken out and apologize. Don't apologize for what you believe.

Is there really any Christian doctrine saying a believer shouldn't do business with a gay person?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Is there really any Christian doctrine saying a believer shouldn't do business with a gay person?

It would be amusing to see a Christian business owner attempting to implement this policy on their entire cliental.

"Hi, I would like a dozen doughnuts please."

"Are you homosexual or will you be feeding my product to homosexuals? Where are you going?"

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Desk trauma said:
It would be amusing to see a Christian business owner attempting to implement this policy on their entire cliental. "Hi, I would like a dozen doughnuts please." "Are you homosexual or will you be feeding my product to homosexuals? Where are you going?"
Obviously a Christian business owner wouldn't sell donuts in the first place, since most donuts are consumed by greedy people.

Upvote 0

sonny1293

Oct 26, 2012
✟1,582.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not really in the eyes of our sick government. It feels it's ok to offend Christians. In fact, it rewards it.

For instance, if a bakery refused to bake a cake for a homosexual wedding, it would be sued and put out of business. If the bakery refused to bake a cake for a Christian wedding, nothing happens.

The government believes the bakery has every right not to bake a cake for a Christian wedding. But, lo, if it refuses to bake a cake for a homosexual wedding, the government believes it has NO right to do so.

The USA is very sick these days. It's being destroyed within.

Has there ever been an incident where a Christian couple's srevices got denied because they were Christians? We Christians make these claims, but it seems false. But I know I could be wrong. So I am actually wondering, do Christians actually get that same treatment?

Upvote 0

sonny1293

Oct 26, 2012
✟1,582.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It would be amusing to see a Christian business owner attempting to implement this policy on their entire cliental.

"Are you homosexual or will you be feeding my product to homosexuals? Where are you going?"

(laughing)

that's good

Upvote 0

yasic

Part time poster, Full time lurker
Sep 9, 2005
✟14,558.00
Faith
Atheist

No? Good.

Have you ever looked at a woman with lust?
Has anyone ever asked you for money and you didn't give them said money?
Have you ever had a divorce and remarried?
Have you ever stoned a person to death whilst being a sinner yourself?

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
yasic said:
No? Good. Have you ever looked at a woman with lust? Has anyone ever asked you for money and you didn't give them said money? Have you ever had a divorce and remarried? Have you ever stoned a person to death whilst being a sinner yourself?
Are all these donuts for yourself or are you sharing with the poor?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
would you turn down the customer who wants the swastika cake?

Were I running a bakery I would make whatever people were willing to pay for but keep in mind I am a godless capitalist. The Nazi cake would not make the decoration book but I would take the money.

Upvote 0

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Were I running a bakery I would make whatever people were willing to pay for but keep in mind I am a godless capitalist. The Nazi cake would not make the decoration book but I would take the money.

Same here.

Besides, how do I know they are not Buddhist, Hindu, or Jainist? The swastika gets way too much of a bad rap thanks to some idiots in the 30s and 40s in Europe, it is supposed to be a sign of luck and fortune.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Besides, how do I know they are not Buddhist, Hindu, or Jainist?

Were that the case I think they would likely get it out in the open first thing to avoid being associated with the Nazis as far too few people know the history of the symbol prior to its used by the Third Reich.

Upvote 0

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Were that the case I think they would likely get it out in the open first thing to avoid being associated with the Nazis as far too few people know the history of the symbol prior to its used by the Third Reich.

I am now thinking I know a lot of oddballs then, since most people I know would know the history of the symbol (prior-to and after the Third Reich). And maybe it is that I do in fact know a lot of buddhists and hindus from school over the years.

It also kinda depends if it upright or 45 degrees, since that is pretty much the determining factor.

Well, or if the person ordering it is wearing a leather biker jacket, has a shaved head, is whiter than I am, and has a bunch of tattoos...^_^

Upvote 0

sonny1293

Oct 26, 2012
✟1,582.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No? Good.

Have you ever looked at a woman with lust?
Has anyone ever asked you for money and you didn't give them said money?
Have you ever had a divorce and remarried?
Have you ever stoned a person to death whilst being a sinner yourself?

All fine questions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am interested in your thoughts on this.

What about refusing to sell a cake to anyone you see as a 'sinner'? Or refusing to do business with anyone at all.

If you only do business with those who are perfect then you won't do any business. We' re all in the same boat.

IMO treat gay people the same as anyone else, with kindness and compassion.

If an opportunity presents itself share your faith and the reason for the hope you have, then do this with gentleness and respect. If they see you as a compassionate person then they will be more willing to listen to a message of compassion IMO

:)

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If it's a private business they have the right to refuse to serve customers for reasons like that. Still not a very nice thing to do, mind you.

It would be hardly likely to endear them to the faith being treated in an unpleasant manner by 'Christians'. 'Gentleness and respect'= the way to go.

Upvote 0

Saleena

A whole new rage.
Aug 12, 2013
✟6,121.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I can't understand why you wouldn't want to sell, discriminating who you serve hurts your business. A business is there to make money. When you decide that you don't want to serve a specific clientele you are broadcasting that you are a bigot. You may very well not be a bigot but in this world it's pretty plain to see what happens when you refuse to serve some people.

OTOH, if as a christian you are going to follow the bible if you have any personal credibility you will refuse to host jewish, atheist or any other non christian functions. If you are going to start discriminating who you serve, why not man the heck up and go all out eh?

I also like the idea of having to legally put up a sign stating who you refuse to serve. Take responsibility for you beliefs, don't hide like a child in your business and bring it up after they get in. Be proud of who you are and get a banner outside proudly showing your beliefs. Don't be scared.

Upvote 0

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
While things might get dicey, it's certainly the business owners prerogative to refuse business toward a particular person(s), no matter what their reasoning may be.

As kindly as possible, I, too, would have refused my business to the gay couple as well. Homosexuality is bad enough, but now that we've got homosexual couples getting married is even worse. I personally would feel as though I am, in some way, enabling the gay couple's 'wedding' by selling them a wedding cake. My spirit would be convicted. So yes, based on spiritual conviction I would refuse business to them. Not because I'm a 'hater' like most people think.

If I ran a completely different sort of business and a random homosexual person/couple came in and wanted to purchase some merchandise, I'd sell to them. But if I'm selling wedding cakes, or anything wedding related, and a homosexual couple comes in to purchase something for their 'wedding'...a wedding I consider to be an abomination towards God, then I'm going to refuse. It wouldn't be easy for me as I hate to displease anyone, but I would do it.

Upvote 0