Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee signs law that allows people to refuse to ‘solemnize’ marriage licenses

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee signs law that allows people to refuse to ‘solemnize’ marriage licenses

Last week, Tennessee state lawmakers passed HB 878, which states “a person shall not be required to solemnize a marriage.”

[When this comes to government employees, there's a definite problem.]

“Tennessee House Bill 878 would be patently unconstitutional,” Taylor said in a statement to CNN. “Public officials don’t get to assume public office and then pick and choose which members of the public to serve.”

“My answer remains the same regardless of whether this bill was intended to target marriages of same-sex couples, interfaith couples, or interracial couples — it’s unconstitutional because the Constitution prohibits public officials from discriminating against members of the public based on their personal beliefs,” Taylor said.

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Camilla Taylor is the deputy legal director of Lamda Legal an LGBTQ advocacy group. Of course she would find fault with allowing public officials to practice their sincere religious beliefs concerning same sex marriage.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Camilla Taylor is the deputy legal director of Lamda Legal an LGBTQ advocacy group. Of course she would find fault with allowing public officials to practice their sincere religious beliefs concerning same sex marriage.
What sincere religious belief prevents a government official from issuing legal civil marriage certificates? No, I'm not preparing to argue with you about it, I just want to know the answer.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Of course she would find fault with allowing public officials to practice their sincere religious beliefs concerning same sex marriage.
Public officials do not perform religious marriages. They perform civil ones.

of, relating to, or involving the general public, their activities, needs, or ways, or civic affairs as distinguished from special (such as military or religious) affairs
"got married in a civil ceremony"

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is why I will never work in a government job that would require me to certify something that I sincerely believe is immoral.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
This is why I will never work in a government job that would require me to certify something that I sincerely believe is immoral.
I agree 100%

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I personally think they should resign from their job rather than violate their conscience.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I personally think they should resign from their job rather than violate their conscience.
I would definitely agree. If they can't do the job they're being paid to do...find one they can.

-- A2SG, if they're so determined to force their religious views on others, they should find a job that lets them do that, legally.....

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

7thKeeper

Scion of the Devonian Sea
Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟108,680.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Phrasing. This sounds like you'd be willing to work a private job that would require you to certify something that you believe is immoral.

• Haha
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is the proper way to handle such a situation - the government exists to serve everyone according to the law. If you are unable to do so, you should not take the job. Codifying the ability to deny service on an individual basis because of your own beliefs violates the purpose of government - a person should not have to wonder whether or not they will be able to get the services they need based on the clerk who takes their case.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That sheds no light on whether her view is right or wrong in principle.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
What sincere religious belief prevents a government official from issuing legal civil marriage certificates? No, I'm not preparing to argue with you about it, I just want to know the answer.
Every time the subject of SSM comes up, I or someone else will ask this question. We never get an answer. At this point I have to think that the religious excuse is a fake.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Every time the subject of SSM comes up, I or someone else will ask this question. We never get an answer. At this point I have to think that the religious excuse is a fake.
The answer is that certain subsets of Christians don't see any distinction between civil marriage and religious marriage - they believe that the Church has exclusive ownership of the concept of "marriage."

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The answer is that certain subsets of Christians don't see any distinction between civil marriage and religious marriage - they believe that the Church has exclusive ownership of the concept of "marriage."
And that's the point. You and I can speculate or examine the contents of our own faiths to see if anything suggests itself but that is just our best guess about the answer must be. Traditional Christians generally have an answer for questions like that. The Catholics claim that there is no marriage but their own* and so they won't marry gays but they won't marry divorced persons, either, and what we call civil marriage is not a marriage at all to them, etc. in other words they have a well worked out theological framework, whether you agree with it or not. The Christian Right seems to have no answer at all. The Greek Parliament just voted to authorize SSMs. The Orthodox Church, a substantial number of Greek citizens and even many of the legislators who voted for it are opposed to gay marriage for religious reasons, but they could not find a religious reason to to forbid civil marriages for non-Christian citizens of a secular state. The Christian Right claims to have a religious reason but they won't tell us what it is. They should have sold a secret copy to the Greeks

*I realize that the position has softened over the years, but the theology of it is still there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
And that's the point. You and I can speculate or examine the contents of our own faiths to see if anything suggests itself but that is just our best guess about the answer must be.
That is what I have been told by people who oppose the issuance of civil marriage certificates to certain groups. There may be other reasons for other people, but it's not pure speculation on my part.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
That is what I have been told by people who oppose the issuance of civil marriage certificates to certain groups. There may be other reasons for other people, but it's not pure speculation on my part.
But still, we never get an answer here.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The answer I got (don't remember who from) was that since he was a Christian, everything he thought, said or did was enshrined in his personal religious dogma. There was nothing he could do or say that wasn't protected as his religion.

I think that is total self-serving bunk. I hope the pendulum swings back to moderation.

Upvote 0