Refusing to sell a wedding cake to a gay couple..right or wrong?

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was wondering if any business refusing to make a wedding cake for a gay couple on religious grounds are discriminatory. I am confused. While I think that homosexuality is a sin, I wonder if some of the same people would treat an interracial couple the same way 50 years ago.

Discriminating and mistreating people on the basis of race or sexual orientation is wrong in my eyes, but I know that both types of discrimination are not the same. The principle is the same. In the US, the land of the free and the home of the brave, blacks and whites were not even allowed to intermarry 50 years ago in some parts of the country. That is a shame. Things have changed though there are some who are prejudiced.

I don't think it is the same thing as interracial marriages are not a sin according to the Bible, but homosexuality is. There are straight people who practice homosexual acts like kissing other girls and such at parties. That is considered sinful too, no?

I know I am trying to explain things, but I am wondering is it wrong for a business to refuse to create a wedding cake to a gay couple because of their religious beliefs? Is that an example of discrimination and passing ungodly judgement of people? Or do you think that based on religious grounds, they are doing the right thing?

I am concerned about the line being drawn. When if, say, a Muslim or a Jew, refuses to create a wedding cake for an inter-religious couple because of their religious differences? I would think that is unfair, but said business would have that right to do so if it is a private business. (Not that I agree with it, I am just explaining the legalities behind it.) When if they refuse to sell to a Christian couple because of their said beliefs in Jesus as Savior? That would be just as unfair.

I am interested in your thoughts on this.

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
If it were my business, I wouldn't discriminate because 1) In my opinion it's wrong, and 2) I'd be shooting myself in the foot where bringing in money would be concerned, so it would be bad for business.

I don't know what the legalities of such discrimination are, as I'm sure they vary from state to state. I can say, however, I appreciate that people want to take a stand for what they believe is right. I just don't agree with people on what is right, sometimes.

Upvote 0

Marius27

Feb 16, 2013
✟6,009.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
I was wondering if any business refusing to make a wedding cake for a gay couple on religious grounds are discriminatory. I am confused. While I think that homosexuality is a sin, I wonder if some of the same people would treat an interracial couple the same way 50 years ago.

Discriminating and mistreating people on the basis of race or sexual orientation is wrong in my eyes, but I know that both types of discrimination are not the same. The principle is the same. In the US, the land of the free and the home of the brave, blacks and whites were not even allowed to intermarry 50 years ago in some parts of the country. That is a shame. Things have changed though there are some who are prejudiced.

I don't think it is the same thing as interracial marriages are not a sin according to the Bible, but homosexuality is. There are straight people who practice homosexual acts like kissing other girls and such at parties. That is considered sinful too, no?

I know I am trying to explain things, but I am wondering is it wrong for a business to refuse to create a wedding cake to a gay couple because of their religious beliefs? Is that an example of discrimination and passing ungodly judgement of people? Or do you think that based on religious grounds, they are doing the right thing?

I am concerned about the line being drawn. When if, say, a Muslim or a Jew, refuses to create a wedding cake for an inter-religious couple because of their religious differences? I would think that is unfair, but said business would have that right to do so if it is a private business. (Not that I agree with it, I am just explaining the legalities behind it.) When if they refuse to sell to a Christian couple because of their said beliefs in Jesus as Savior? That would be just as unfair.

I am interested in your thoughts on this.
If a business is registered as a place of public accommodation, it's illegal by State, Federal, and/or local laws to discriminate on the basis of certain criteria. In some states, that includes sexual orientation.

Obviously it's a clear case of bigotry in all these lawsuits, because the bakeries sell their cakes to other classified sinners (divorced couples, people who commit adultery, pagans, etc.)

Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it depends on if the cake is depicting a gay/lesbian couple. If it does depict a gay couple you could refuse it under free speech and you don't want to promote a message you disagree with.

I mean, if the westboro baptist church requested a cake saying "God hates ***s" shouldn't i have the ability to refuse that cake since it promotes a message i disagree with?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟489,185.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If a business is registered as a place of public accommodation, it's illegal by State, Federal, and/or local laws to discriminate on the basis of certain criteria. In some states, that includes sexual orientation.

Obviously it's a clear case of bigotry in all these lawsuits, because the bakeries sell their cakes to other classified sinners (divorced couples, people who commit adultery, pagans, etc.)

Don't forget fat people - gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins after all.

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
While there is probably some type of wedding I can't bake a cake for in good conscience (underage bride forced into polygamous union with her uncle, perhaps), I'd be fine with baking for your typical gay wedding.

Reactions: selfinflikted
Upvote 0

yasic

Part time poster, Full time lurker
Sep 9, 2005
✟14,558.00
Faith
Atheist
Personally I feel a baker should be able to refuse service to anyone, including for reasons such as disapproving of homosexual marriage or disapproving of interracial marriage. I would add a clause in there that it has to be with proper notice (IE you can't refuse the day of the wedding if you agreed to it a month ago).

The law may disagree, but I am stating what I feel it should be, not necessarily what it is.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟656,826.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Don't forget fat people - gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins after all.

Some situations can be "dicy", built a house once for a very nice couple,
they were real heavyweights, to put it that way, so what?
But it got a little complicated when they both insisted on having a wall mounted toalett, they are only approved for a certain amount of kilo.
So my tongue kind of got stuck to my gum, like huh?
Either tell them, sure, but it will cost extra, the wall will have to be strengthened, which will mean changing the plans, etc etc,
or say nothing and take a chance.
Being a coward, I left to the plumber to explain.

Upvote 0

miggles

miggles
May 15, 2004
florida
✟40,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
When if they refuse to sell to a Christian couple because of their said beliefs in Jesus as Savior? That would be just as unfair.

Not really in the eyes of our sick government. It feels it's ok to offend Christians. In fact, it rewards it.

For instance, if a bakery refused to bake a cake for a homosexual wedding, it would be sued and put out of business. If the bakery refused to bake a cake for a Christian wedding, nothing happens.

The government believes the bakery has every right not to bake a cake for a Christian wedding. But, lo, if it refuses to bake a cake for a homosexual wedding, the government believes it has NO right to do so.

The USA is very sick these days. It's being destroyed within.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,201,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
For instance, if a bakery refused to bake a cake for a homosexual wedding, it would be sued and put out of business. If the bakery refused to bake a cake for a Christian wedding, nothing happens.

Only if the Christians who are refused service chose to take no action, religion is a protected class.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Personally I feel a baker should be able to refuse service to anyone, including for reasons such as disapproving of homosexual marriage or disapproving of interracial marriage. I would add a clause in there that it has to be with proper notice (IE you can't refuse the day of the wedding if you agreed to it a month ago).

The law may disagree, but I am stating what I feel it should be, not necessarily what it is.

If a public business would be allowed to pick and choose their customers based on religious or other beliefs, they should be forced to post (for all to see) who the customers are they refuse to do business with.

Business's post; "no shoes no service" and "no guns allowed" and they can do that for health and safety reasons. So, let them post who they won't do business with, and lets see what happens to their public perception.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Not really in the eyes of our sick government. It feels it's ok to offend Christians. In fact, it rewards it.

The government believes the bakery has every right not to bake a cake for a Christian wedding. But, lo, if it refuses to bake a cake for a homosexual wedding, the government believes it has NO right to do so.

The USA is very sick these days. It's being destroyed within.

Rubbish. Got anything to back this up?

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The problem with many christian businesses is they are forced into selling to those they don't want to out of fear of lawsuits or attacks online, in person...etc. Instead of saying "Whats wrong with that company!", why not ask the more important question. "Why can't a company sell to who it wants to?" and "Why can't the customer whos mad go elsewhere?".

Its not like there aren't other places that make cakes. If you notice when this stuff happens it always makes the news because the agenda behind this orientation is to say "Hey look here, I'm being hurt, poor me!". If a company refused to make a cake for a christian it wouldn't make the news. And yes I seen that happened before.

Just watch your tv stories about the attacks (not always literal) on that orientation. And yet the same amount of attacks on christians goes unnoticed or isn't talked about. Which is ironic because these sexualy oriented people scream equality and freedom and yet see no problem with christians not having the same rights. Sad.

And no I would probably not sell them the cake. Bring on the lawsuits I could care. If we aren't willing to stand for our views then whats the point of having them? Further more whats the point of having them if rules tell us to do otherwise in buisness? Its sad when companies like Chik-Filet (whatever its called) chicken out and apologize. Don't apologize for what you believe.

Even if it literally kills you. God said we would suffer because of His name. I got nothing to lose. Only everything to gain after this life.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The problem with many christian businesses is they are forced into selling to those they don't want to out of fear of lawsuits or attacks online, in person...etc. Instead of saying "Whats wrong with that company!", why not ask the more important question. "Why can't a company sell to who it wants to?" and "Why can't the customer whos mad go elsewhere?".

Sometimes they can. It just depends on the law.

Its not like there aren't other places that make cakes. If you notice when this stuff happens it always makes the news because the agenda behind this orientation is to say "Hey look here, I'm being hurt, poor me!". If a company refused to make a cake for a christian it wouldn't make the news. And yes I seen that happened before.

Show me.

Just watch your tv stories about the attacks (not always literal) on that orientation. And yet the same amount of attacks on christians goes unnoticed or isn't talked about. Which is ironic because these sexualy oriented people scream equality and freedom and yet see no problem with christians not having the same rights. Sad.

What rights do GLBT people enjoy that Christians do not?

And no I would probably not sell them the cake.

I'm shocked!

Bring on the lawsuits I could care. If we aren't willing to stand for our views then whats the point of having them? Further more whats the point of having them if rules tell us to do otherwise in buisness? Its sad when companies like Chik-Filet (whatever its called) chicken out and apologize. Don't apologize for what you believe.

Even if it literally kills you. God said we would suffer because of His name. I got nothing to lose. Only everything to gain after this life.

If you run a public business, you are subject to the applicable laws. Most states have anti-discrimination laws on the books.

Further, American Christians as a whole know nothing of suffering.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It's not a practice I would do. It's not illegal in Texas, but I consider it wrong for many reasons.

The most important of which is that they are fellow human beings who are just trying to pay for a service or item, and be on their way.

The only time I would ever think of refusing service from someone is if they were behaving badly in my place of business and disturbing me or other customers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,201,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Instead of saying "Whats wrong with that company!", why not ask the more important question. "Why can't a company sell to who it wants to?" and "Why can't the customer whos mad go elsewhere?".

Because by running a business that is open to the public the business owner agreed to abide by the public accommodation laws of the state that they are in, some states cover sexual orientation in those laws. I am not a fan of our over litigiousness here in the US but business owners squalling about being held to the laws they agreed to abide by illicits zero sympathy from me.

. If a company refused to make a cake for a christian it wouldn't make the news. And yes I seen that happened before.

If they take no action over their rights being violated is it any shock that there is no media coverage?

Which is ironic because these sexualy oriented people scream equality and freedom and yet see no problem with christians not having the same rights. Sad.

Religion is a protected class in all states unlike sexual orientation.

If you object so strongly to serving a portion of the public then being open to the public is a very poor choice.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Then don't operate a business unless you are "fundamentally" Biblically consistent. No gays, no adulterers, no liars, no thieves, no fornicators, no gossipers, no hypocrites, no Muslims, Jews, Hindu's, agnostics, blah, blah.

So all this means is you won't find anybody over the age of five that qualifies as worthy of your righteous business.:doh:

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Lik3 said:
I was wondering if any business refusing to make a wedding cake for a gay couple on religious grounds are discriminatory. I am confused. While I think that homosexuality is a sin, I wonder if some of the same people would treat an interracial couple the same way 50 years ago. Discriminating and mistreating people on the basis of race or sexual orientation is wrong in my eyes, but I know that both types of discrimination are not the same. The principle is the same. In the US, the land of the free and the home of the brave, blacks and whites were not even allowed to intermarry 50 years ago in some parts of the country. That is a shame. Things have changed though there are some who are prejudiced. I don't think it is the same thing as interracial marriages are not a sin according to the Bible, but homosexuality is. There are straight people who practice homosexual acts like kissing other girls and such at parties. That is considered sinful too, no? I know I am trying to explain things, but I am wondering is it wrong for a business to refuse to create a wedding cake to a gay couple because of their religious beliefs? Is that an example of discrimination and passing ungodly judgement of people? Or do you think that based on religious grounds, they are doing the right thing? I am concerned about the line being drawn. When if, say, a Muslim or a Jew, refuses to create a wedding cake for an inter-religious couple because of their religious differences? I would think that is unfair, but said business would have that right to do so if it is a private business. (Not that I agree with it, I am just explaining the legalities behind it.) When if they refuse to sell to a Christian couple because of their said beliefs in Jesus as Savior? That would be just as unfair. I am interested in your thoughts on this.
Would refusing to sell a loaf of bread be wrong?
Would refusing the cake to an interracial couple be wrong?

Upvote 0
K

kellhus

I was wondering if any business refusing to make a wedding cake for a gay couple on religious grounds are discriminatory.

If this business serves the general public, in the state where I live, it is not legal.

I am confused. While I think that homosexuality is a sin, I wonder if some of the same people would treat an interracial couple the same way 50 years ago.

I know I am trying to explain things, but I am wondering is it wrong for a business to refuse to create a wedding cake to a gay couple because of their religious beliefs?

Very wrong, not to mention illegal.

Is that an example of discrimination and passing ungodly judgement of people? Or do you think that based on religious grounds, they are doing the right thing?

It is very wrong.

Um, the situation you describe is actually illegal. This hypothetical Muslim or Jewish baker, if their business serves the public, couldn't refuse to serve an inter-religious couple any less than an interracial couple or homosexual couple.

Upvote 0